4holer
Topic Author

Would This Be An Aviation Accident?

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:35 am

I guess this would be the forum to ask this question in...

As I was in the security line at PIT this week, I noticed that there is an old plane hanging from the ceiling directly above the crowd of people waiting in the line. I jokingly asked my buddy if it would be considered a fatal plane crash if it somehow fell and killed anyone below.

Well the more I thought about it, the more I thought it was a very good question. It is, after all, an airplane, and it might even be considered airborne for a moment.

Would it require an investigation from the FAA/NTSB?

I'm genuinely curious...
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

KELPkid

RE: Would This Be An Aviation Accident?

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:42 am

Not sure. Might want to look up NTSB 802 (in any FAR or AIM manual)...

I'm pretty sure that it would have to be 1) currently registered 2) operating in the National Airspace System and 3) operated by an airman. I'm at work, so I'm not going to take the time to look this up myself  Wink
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

ua777222

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:54 am

Quoting 4holer (Thread starter):
I guess this would be the forum to ask this question in...

As I was in the security line at PIT this week, I noticed that there is an old plane hanging from the ceiling directly above the crowd of people waiting in the line. I jokingly asked my buddy if it would be considered a fatal plane crash if it somehow fell and killed anyone below.

Well the more I thought about it, the more I thought it was a very good question. It is, after all, an airplane, and it might even be considered airborne for a moment.

Would it require an investigation from the FAA/NTSB
I'm genuinely curious...

I would guess that the aircraft would have to ooperational and legal. However, I don't think anyone would need to report it to the NTSB or FAA as the reason the aircraft would fall is not due to any aircraft faults. If a bolt haning from the wing that goes to ceiling were to fail that would not be an aircraft-faulted accident. I skimmed through my FAR/AIM 05' book and couldn't find anything in reporting an incident that has anything to do with a display aircraft.

My  twocents 
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

KELPkid

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:58 am

Quoting Ua777222 (Reply 2):
However, I don't think anyone would need to report it to the NTSB or FAA as the reason the aircraft would fall is not due to any aircraft faults.

What if some wood in the aircraft structure rotted? Would we get an Airworthiness Directive (AD) issued over that?  rotfl 
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

BAxMAN

Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:00 am

Quoting 4holer (Thread starter):

LOL! I'd stop thinking so hard if I were you!

If I visited Chairman Mao's Mausoleum, tripped up, cracked my head on his resting place and died, I doubt that I'd be added to the official statistics of people Mao was responsible for killing. I'd be recorded as a clumsy tourist. If I visited the Chicago Field Museum and the wonderful T-Rex skeleton collapsed on top of me resulting in my instant death, I doubt that natural history books would be re-written to include human beings amongst a T-Rex's prey.

If such a tragic incident were to occur at PIT, it would be a treated as a normal structural accident and the airport operator would have a great deal of explaining to do, similar to the incident at CDG-2E when the terminal collapsed.
I need to get laid