varigb707

Is Spotting At SXM/TNCM Safe?

Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:39 pm

Have you ever been there? If so, describe the feeling(rush) being below the landing path near the fence.
Another question. Home come the local authority has not ruled unsafe to be there? Thanks
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

luisde8cd

RE: Is Spotting At SXM/TNCM Safe?

Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:52 pm

There's no problem with the landings. You have to be careful with the jetblast when airliners are taking off. I would describe that feeling as being in front of a huge hair dryer while smelling kerosene.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

airbusfanyyz

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:02 pm

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 1):
You have to be careful with the jetblast when airliners are taking off. I would describe that feeling as being in front of a huge hair dryer while smelling kerosene.

For an aviation enthusiast it should be on their "Things to do before I Die" list. It's amazing to have an A340 or B747 spool up just metres away! It was an experience I will never forget.
 Smile

Cheers,
Kaz

VirginFlyer

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:32 pm

Don't forget that there are a lot of airports where the runway, or at least the stopway at the end of it, extends right to the fenceline (Gold Coast and Sydney are two that spring to mind in this country). I've stood at both, and it is quite exciting to have a jet come in low over you, but it isn't really dangerous.

The special thing about SXM isn't so much that you can get close to the fence - it is that you are on a beach when you are close to the fence. Makes for some spectacular photos, as you would have seen. Like everyone else, I do hope to make it there one day...

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

S12PPL

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:42 pm

No. It is VERY dangerous. They really don't let people spot there, but people just do it anyway!!  Yeah sure
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

YYZYYT

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:47 pm

Quoting AirbusfanYYZ (Reply 2):
For an aviation enthusiast it should be on their "Things to do before I Die" list. It's amazing to have an A340 or B747 spool up just metres away! It was an experience I will never forget

Have not been to SXM yet, but must go.

I had a very similar experience in Samos, Greece - a beach, then a road, then a fence... and on the other side of the fence the end of the active runway. Did not realize it when we picked the spot, as we had walked down the beach and I hadn't noticed the aiport (most unlike me!).

Then a 727 passed overhead on take off, at a height that seemed to be less than 100 feet. I think the noise dipslaced some internal organs.

miamiair

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:53 pm

It is dangerous as any other approach path. Get behind a 747 when it applies T/O power and get sand blasted. It looked painful, I did not try it.

The proximity of the bar, the beach, the color of the water, sets it appart from all others.

(Topless Women Drink Free)
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

N353SK

Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:05 am

Sure it's dangerous in theory, but the only way somebody could get hurt is by their own stupid free will. If some idiot wants to stand right at the fence and experience Jetblast combined with Sand and Dust, they're more than welcome to hurt themselves, as they've been warned.