ba757gla

Could SOU-NWI Flights Work?

Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:00 pm

On a recent inspection of a route map i noticed Air Southwest serves BRS-NWI and that seems the only non - london to somewhere else in southern UK . could flybe offer NWI - SOU as it is one big trek around the M25 and a diffacult train connection waterloo to liverpool st . 2 x daily dash 8s could work ?

Humberside

RE: Could SOU-NWI Flights Work?

Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:02 pm

Flybe also fly NWI-EXT

Its a shame the train from Ipswich/Colchester/Chelmsford to Baisingstoke was withdrawn a few years ago. If that started at Norwich and finished at Southampton it would have provided a quality cross London train service
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

Christa

Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:07 pm

There was a CWL-NWI service operated by Air Wales. I believe that the loads were quite high using ATR42's, at around 75%+.

I would have thought though that a service from SOU-NWI may not be "worth" operating, as an airline could use the aircraft on a similar more profitable route, for example SOU-LBA.

Regards,
Chris
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

Humberside

Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:13 pm

Quoting Christa (Reply 2):
There was a CWL-NWI service operated by Air Wales. I believe that the loads were quite high using ATR42's, at around 75%+.

That was just a once weekly Saturday positiong flight for NWI-DUB wasn't it?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

Pe@rson

Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:18 pm

Not sure about the viability of that route, but it is cheap - and not too long - to travel Norwich-London-Southampton by train. Indeed, the Norwich-London Liverpool Street sector costs from just £5 - and when I travel the route, which is several times per week, I get it at that price 9 times out of 10. (The other 1 time is at £10 - the second-cheapest price.) It takes just under 2 hours and operates every half-hour on weekdays (hourly at particular times).

From Liverpool Street, simply transfer by tube to Waterloo, thence board a Southampton-bound train. It takes about 1 1/4 hours to Southampton and costs from £16.00 one-way - expensive.

So, you could get Norwich-London-Southampton for £27 one-way including 1x £3 tube ticket, and it should take, centre-to-centre, about 3.75 hours. Not bad.

Or as a London-Southampton-London ticket costs from £16.75 - just 75p more than a darn one-way ticket - you could get Norwich-London-Southampton-London-Norwich for £32.75 - including 2x £3 tube tickets.

[Edited 2006-07-21 16:19:29]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Christa

Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:21 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 3):
That was just a once weekly Saturday positiong flight for NWI-DUB wasn't it?

The NWI-CWL flight was bookable, it gave passengers flying from NWI options of connecting to other services by other airlines and also including those offered by Air Wales.

The flight I believe was operated 4x weekly and operated the following:-

CWL-NWI-DUB-NWI-CWL

Regards,
Chris

[Edited 2006-07-21 19:21:40]
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

Capital146

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:23 am

Quoting Christa (Reply 2):
I would have thought though that a service from SOU-NWI may not be "worth" operating, as an airline could use the aircraft on a similar more profitable route, for example SOU-LBA.

SOU-LBA already has BE and T3!  Wink SOU-NWI could perhaps work as a 'tag on', such as extending ABZ-NWI to ABZ-NWI-SOU.
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos