FlyPNS1
Topic Author

DL To Start JAX-PNS

Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:30 am

Beginning September 11th, 2006, DL will launch a 1x daily nonstop flight from JAX to PNS. The flight will be operated by a Comair CRJ.

This route has potential as there is a good deal of traffic moving between PNS and JAX. DL's big competitor on this route won't be other airlines, but rather the automobile. It's only about a five hour drive down I-10, so DL's prices will have to be competitive.

It may also be difficult to get people to think about flying this route versus driving. Right now, most people just assume that the only way to go is to drive...since flying right now would require connecting through places like ATL or CLT.

This route has been flown before. Continental had a 1x daily 737-500 that flew this route for about a year or two in 1999-2000. The plane was typically routed IAH-PNS-JAX-EWR. USAirways Express also had a 2-3x daily flights that were routed PNS-TLH-JAX using the BE1900.

DAL767400ER

RE: DL To Start JAX-PNS

Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:40 am

Interesting move. Would certainly be an interesting alternative to the "Route of Boredom" that is I-10.

RL757PVD

Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:42 am

Gee I wonder who they are going for on this route...could it be the.... NAVY!
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

avconsultant

Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:44 am

This will be successful as long as it's priced correctly. DL seems to focus on PNS, it's been a good amrket for them and rightfully so.

FlyPNS1
Topic Author

Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:45 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 2):

Of course. I almost thought they should have the plane continue on to ORF. However, the ORF-JAX segment would go head to head with WN which would be a problem.

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 3):
This will be successful as long as it's priced correctly. DL seems to focus on PNS, it's been a good amrket for them and rightfully so.

Pricing will be key. It'll be a purely O+D route, so yields should be higher. However, if DL pushes too high, people will simply drive.

DL has been dominant at PNS for a long time. Cuts made by DL last fall/winter caused DL's marketshare to slide. Airtran also saw DL's cuts as a signal and beefed up to 5x daily on the ATL-PNS run. In recent months though, DL has come back strong adding capacity back to ATL and re-instating CVG.

This fall DL will have 19 daily flights from PNS:
8x ATL (1x757, 6xMD88, 1xCRJ)
4x MCO (ERJ)
3x TPA (ERJ)
2x FLL (ERJ)
1x CVG (CRJ)
1x JAX (CRJ)

theLUREnyc

Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:51 am

With just one frequency a day, it doesn't sound like some exciting new market they're developing .. it sounds almost more like an aircraft re-positioning or a tag on to another route. In order to be attractive or useful to business travellers, one freq per day aint gonna cut it!

jbmitt

Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:56 am

I disagree. How much business really goes on between JAX and PNS. If anything this flight allows for people from say ATL to fly to PNS for business, connect to JAX for more business and then fly home to ATL from JAX.

I flight a day is fine for this. Its only 50 seats, and Florida has plenty of leisure traffic.

AirCop

Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:09 am

Quoting TheLUREnyc (Reply 5):
With just one frequency a day, it doesn't sound like some exciting new market they're developing .. it sounds almost more like an aircraft re-positioning or a tag on to another route.

champagne   checkmark  With 14 passengers a day between the two cities I really don't see it very successful has a stand alone route. Aside from the Navy PNS and JAX have zero in common.

MAH4546

Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:28 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 7):

champagne checkmark With 14 passengers a day between the two cities I really don't see it very successful has a stand alone route. Aside from the Navy PNS and JAX have zero in common.

This is a situation where you can't really use that figure. There is no reasonable flight route between Jacksonville at Pensacola. The quickest way involves connecting in Orlando, and that still is probably slower than driving.

FLL-PNS O&D was similarly non-existant when Delta launched the route in winter 2004. Now, Delta has created a significant market on the route, which is one of only two Delta RJ route from FLL launched in 2004 that still is flying.
a.

FlyPNS1
Topic Author

Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:16 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 7):
With 14 passengers a day between the two cities I really don't see it very successful has a stand alone route. Aside from the Navy PNS and JAX have zero in common.

As MAH4546 points out, you can't use the existing traffic data. Most people going between JAX and PNS drive today, so they won't show up in DOT data.

Previous analysis I've seen done, estimates there could be as many as 200 people moving daily between JAX and PNS. Most are by car, though a few go by Greyhound or Amtrak. So I think the market is there, the question is really on pricing. Can DL charge a high enough fare to make money on an RJ while not charging so much that people are turned off and keep driving??

OttoPylit

Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:00 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Thread starter):
USAirways Express also had a 2-3x daily flights that were routed PNS-TLH-JAX using the BE1900.

Actually, that aircraft's routing was the same day after day, starting as an originator in JAX. JAX-TLH-PNS-MSY-PNS-TLH-JAX. At the time, US Express(Piedmont, IIRC) had a maintenance base and hangar in JAX, but has since been vacated after US Airways two bankruptcies.

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 2):

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 9):
So I think the market is there, the question is really on pricing. Can DL charge a high enough fare to make money on an RJ while not charging so much that people are turned off and keep driving??

Very possible, but unlikely from my research. I think DL is hoping for the Navy to jump on it. Being that the military pays full Y government fares, it wouldn't take too much to turn the aircraft into a moneymaker. But the question is, is there enough traffic between the two cities to warrant it? Of course, it is ONLY 50 seats once a day and we know all 200 will not choose to fly, but I just don't see there being that much of a market for that flight. I predict the route probably won't last past 6 months.

Even more surprising is that it will be an OH flight. I thought DL told OH that they would get no more planes or routes until the FA's ponied up the dough? Only this morning did Comair get the blessing of the judge to void the FA's contract if they so desired, even though negotiations are still taking place. So why is this route being flown by OH? Seems RP would be a much more logical choice, and flown with a smaller 37 seat ERJ would make even more sense and have a better chance at profitability.

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

pensacolaguy

Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:33 am

Well, This route/news is a complete shocker! I would expect Continental Connection/Gulfstream Airlines, to start PNS-TLH-JAX(Or just PNS-JAX).But Delta/Comair with a CRJ?

Schedule as follows:
PNS 7:00am JAX 9:13am DL5050 1H 13M
JAX 7:00am PNS 7:17am DL5119 1H 17M

Operated by Delta Connection Carrier, Comair

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 8):
FLL-PNS O&D was similarly non-existant when Delta launched the route in winter 2004. Now, Delta has created a significant market on the route, which is one of only two Delta RJ route from FLL launched in 2004 that still is flying.

Good Point/Thanks! Surprised DL hasn't jumped on PNS-MIA...

Can DL charge a high enough fare to make money on an RJ while not charging so much that people are turned off and keep driving??

Checking the airfare for PNS-JAX-PNS departing some 9/11 returning on 9/12, I got $297 RT. No Thanks...

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 10):
I predict the route probably won't last past 6 months.

Such negativity..

200 people moving daily between JAX and PNS. Most are by car, though a few go by Greyhound or Amtrak.

Shortest time on Greyhound going to JAX is 8H 30M...Return is 9H 30M..With 7-Day Advance Purchase the total roundtrip fare is $90.00. And Amtrak service has been suspended, into/out of Pensacola, for a while now.  Sad

MSYtristar

Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:55 pm

Quoting Pensacolaguy (Reply 11):
And Amtrak service has been suspended, into/out of Pensacola, for a while now.

And don't look for it to come back anytime soon, if ever....basically a 99% chance that the Sunset won't be extended East of New Orleans anymore.

jmhLUV2fly

Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:41 pm

Im not sure about PNS-JAX market, I remember Delta sending me an email survey not too long ago, asking me questions about how likely I would be to purchase a ticket out of the PNS market to various Florida markets, if memory serves I think they asked about PBI, RSW, and JAX as a matter of fact, I answered pretty much neither likely or not likely to purchase such a ticket in that market I would likely drive I suppose, but we shall see how it goes..
One thing I will add, I work for a company thats supports ramp services for Delta in Pensacola, and I have noticed on the baggage tags and passenger traffic, that one thing Delta has very cleverly done in a way to work around the competition and fill airplanes out of competitive markets like PNS, I see passengers traveling to LAX, connecting through MCO and TPA, passengers going to BOS and LAS connecting in MCO, very intresting way to avoid the competive ATL market and fill those seats. I have also seen some down right strange passenger routing, I saw a few bags today that were tagged to
BUR (Burbank CA.) began in MCO flew to PNS xfered to ATL flight then flew on BUR, whats the point there, why fly those passnegers to the PNS market, just to fill some seats? I also saw a bag a few months back, that was tagged to HSV, Hunstville, AL, they had this poor guy flying TPA-PNS-MCO-ATL-HSV
I kid you not, that is awful, I would almost drive first.
Delta also operates PNS-CVG flight once a da. On every day except Saturday the flight terminates in PNS at 2130 on Saturday it comes in at the hour of 1930, when I noticed such a schedule on Saturday, I thought this has to be in some way related to AirTran operations, so I checked it out, sure enough, on Saturdays, AirTran's last DAY-ATL departs at 5pm I think, and the 7pm does not operate, no evening competition on Saturday, it comes in earlier.
Will be interesting to see how things play out.
JMH-Pensacola, Florida.

ARGinLON

Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:00 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Thread starter):
This route has been flown before. Continental had a 1x daily 737-500 that flew this route for about a year or two in 1999-2000

That route does not seem too bad but certainly a 735 is probably too much for this.

Didn't CO operate the B737 IAH-PNS-AH until a year ago or so?

jmhLUV2fly

Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:24 pm

For Continental, PNS has unofficially been an express station for a couple years now. Every once in a really long while a 737 will come in.
All PNS sees by way of CO are ERJ's serving IAH and B1900's serving TPA, but they keep those birds coming in, it was interesting yesterday at one point CO had three ERJ's and a B1900 on the ground, very unusual, I think one airplane was a diversion and the other two ERJ's delayed traffic out if IAH, not really sure, but for about 30 minutes or so it almost looked like a slice of IAH, Continental land.

JMH-PNS

OttoPylit

Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:02 pm

Such negativity..

LOL Negativity? No. Realistic? Yes. Don't get me wrong, I would love for this route to work. But as of right now, I don't see it lasting or having much of a purpose with 1 flight a day and planning for year round. I would expect JAX-TLH to be more likely than this route.

OttoPylit

jetpixx

Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:21 pm

Quoting Jmhluv2fly (Reply 13):
I also saw a bag a few months back, that was tagged to HSV, Hunstville, AL, they had this poor guy flying TPA-PNS-MCO-ATL-HSV
I kid you not, that is awful, I would almost drive first.

I've done stuff like that before - in fact, I'll look for flights like that for extra SkyMiles, assuming it is not much more than the more direct routing.

I've gone FLL-DAY on RP, DAY-DTW-CAK on NW
I've gone FLL-CMH on RP, CMH-CVG on OH and CVG-CLE on DL
I've gone FLL-ORF on RP, ORF-CVG-CAK on OH
I've gone FLL-BNA on RP, BNA-CVG-CLE on DL
I've gone PBI-TLH on RP, TLH-ATL-SEA on DL
etc. etc.

If I do not have to be somewhere in a hurry and can spare the extra time - it is worth it to add some extra FF miles to the journey. In fact, it also gives you a better chance of flying on an oversold flight and getting compensated. I know airline people hate to say something like that, but I volunteer for that every time!

Just my  twocents 

DTWAGENT

Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:43 pm

I would pay that price. I hate driving anything over 2 hours. I think in time the DL PNS-JAX will be doing some nice business for them. Besides DL does not just jump into a market without doing some market research and number crunching first. If they move into a new market, they must see some type of money being had for the taking....

Go DL keep up the good work...

Chuck

johnclipper

Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:03 pm

I flew CO in 1998/1999 IAH-PNS-JAX and it was an MD-80.
"Flown every aircraft since the Wright Flyer" (guys, if you take this literally, then you need to get a life...)

twal1011727

Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:47 pm

Quoting Jmhluv2fly (Reply 13):
BUR (Burbank CA.) began in MCO flew to PNS xfered to ATL flight then flew on BUR, whats the point there

Try getting on an DL MCO-ATL flt on less than a 2 week advance.
DL still manages to fill up their wide body flts to ATL so if you have to go thru PNS to get to ATL - so be it. Do what ya gotta do to get there I guess.

KD

FlyPNS1
Topic Author

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:04 am

Actually, that aircraft's routing was the same day after day, starting as an originator in JAX. JAX-TLH-PNS-MSY-PNS-TLH-JAX.

Actually, some of the planes continued on from MSY to SHV, so the entire leg was JAX-TLH-PNS-MSY-SHV.

I think DL is hoping for the Navy to jump on it. Being that the military pays full Y government fares, it wouldn't take too much to turn the aircraft into a moneymaker.

I agree. If this route is to survive, DL will need some of those lucrative government Y fares.

I thought DL told OH that they would get no more planes or routes until the FA's ponied up the dough? Only this morning did Comair get the blessing of the judge to void the FA's contract if they so desired, even though negotiations are still taking place. So why is this route being flown by OH?

I'm not sure why OH got the route, however OH is allowed to pick up new routes (but no new planes). My guess is OH got the route because they had aircraft available. RP has been moved out of Florida to CVG and Freedom has taken over, so there are no ER3's around.

And Amtrak service has been suspended, into/out of Pensacola, for a while now.

Yeah, I forgot about that. The study about traffic between PNS and JAX was done before Katrina when Amtrak was still running.

ClearedDirect

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:26 am

Quoting TWAL1011727 (Reply 20):
Try getting on an DL MCO-ATL flt on less than a 2 week advance.

With our corporate headquarters in ATL - i have found this challenge many times. Between AirTran and DL there are plenty of flights but they are always near capacity and they rightly charge for it.

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 1):
Interesting move. Would certainly be an interesting alternative to the "Route of Boredom" that is I-10.

Couldnt agree more! If you have seen one mile of I-10, you have seen ALL of I-10.

Hope the route works, I often fly MCO-TLH to avoid the 4 hour drive.

OttoPylit

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:51 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 21):
Actually, some of the planes continued on from MSY to SHV, so the entire leg was JAX-TLH-PNS-MSY-SHV.

Must have only been on weekends or whenever they needed to substitute aircraft, as that is another 500 mile roundtrip that the plane(and usually was the same crew) would have to make up to arrive at the same time back in those cities. Otherwise, there is no way that could happen daily with the same ship.

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 4):
Pricing will be key. It'll be a purely O+D route, so yields should be higher. However, if DL pushes too high, people will simply drive.

I agree. If this route is to survive, DL will need some of those lucrative government Y fares.

I thought you were already so sure about the yields being positive. Now you sound somewhat hesitant.

My guess is OH got the route because they had aircraft available.

Well, of course they have airframes available. Fly through CVG sometime and you can usually see about 10 birds sitting parked near the DHL ops, but with nowhere to go. Even a Freedom 50 seater would be better and more cost effective, given Comair's wages compared to Freedom's. Much lower, actually.

Quoting ClearedDirect (Reply 22):
Couldnt agree more! If you have seen one mile of I-10, you have seen ALL of I-10.

rotfl  Isn't that the truth. When I was in the Air Force, I once chose to drive to Sheppard AFB at SPS from where I lived in JAX. Being that I-10 starts in JAX, imagine that drive. Nearly 2/3rd's of the trip was I-10, and then the rest of that was boring, brown Texas. So that quote is extremely accurate.

OttoPylit

MSYtristar

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:57 am

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 23):
Nearly 2/3rd's of the trip was I-10, and then the rest of that was boring, brown Texas

So you're telling me you're not a fan of the oh-so-scenic drive on the 10 between Houston and El Paso?????

ExpressJet_ERJ

Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:07 am

Wow this route is a shocker to me. Why doesnt Delta fly MCO or TPA-JAX or even bigger question TPA-MCO (perfect for a turbo prop). These routes i think could be money makers. Why has DL abandoned FL so much? Maybe this is a sign that they might be reconsidering.
ETOPS...Engines Turn Or People Swim

tinpusher007

Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:09 am

DL loves these intra-Florida routes with RJ's.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

USPIT10L

Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:09 am

Quoting ExpressJet_ERJ (Reply 25):
Wow this route is a shocker to me. Why doesnt Delta fly MCO or TPA-JAX or even bigger question TPA-MCO (perfect for a turbo prop). These routes i think could be money makers. Why has DL abandoned FL so much? Maybe this is a sign that they might be reconsidering.

TPA and MCO are so close it's faster to drive. No one has flown that route since DL Express back in 1998-99. Ditto with TPA-JAX, US dropped it as Air Midwest was scaling back.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

avconsultant

Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:10 am

Quoting DTWAGENT (Reply 18):
Besides DL does not just jump into a market without doing some market research and number crunching first. If they move into a new market, they must see some type of money being had for the taking....

Not like they use too. There could be some marketing $$ from both airports.

If this route is to survive, DL will need some of those lucrative government Y fares

I flew into BQK last month. While checking in, a CSA recognized a FF and noticed he has not been flying & asked if everything was all right. He said, he was forced to fly into JAX b/c DL no longer offerred government fares or not on that route. The CSA acknowledge saying the decision has affected the loads treemendously. There are people close to DL on this board, is this true? And what's the reasoning? (i.e. lone carrier serving BQK)

RP has been moved out of Florida to CVG and Freedom has taken over, so there are no ER3's around.

Did RP operate ER3's under DCI?

OttoPylit

Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:35 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 24):
So you're telling me you're not a fan of the oh-so-scenic drive on the 10 between Houston and El Paso?????

It was such a boring drive, I had to keep the radio to earsplitting volume just to keep from falling asleep. For the next week, I had to keep asking people to repeat what they said and do it louder.

Quoting ExpressJet_ERJ (Reply 25):
Why doesnt Delta fly MCO or TPA-JAX or even bigger question TPA-MCO (perfect for a turbo prop).

My friend in Network Planning told me of this a good 2 weeks before it ended up on here. I was allowed 3 guesses, and my first guesses were MCO, TPA, and FLL, again. I was wrong...3 times. banghead 

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 28):
He said, he was forced to fly into JAX b/c DL no longer offerred government fares or not on that route. The CSA acknowledge saying the decision has affected the loads treemendously. There are people close to DL on this board, is this true? And what's the reasoning? (i.e. lone carrier serving BQK)

Doubtfully, being that BQK is closer than JAX to St. Mary's, GA, and therefore closer to the Navy Sub Base there, it wouldn't be smart to eliminate high-paying government fares into BQK. Its already a very expensive market, so expensive that most people choose to drive to ATL for a lower fare. Personally, and don't let anyone tell you I know this, but whenever I visit the folks in JAX, sometimes I prefer to fly into BQK. While the new terminal was being built, the single-wide trailer terminal looked a little shabby, but I hear the new terminal is a beauty inside. I have yet to check it out, though. BQK is a gem to non-rev out of.

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 28):
Did RP operate ER3's under DCI?

I believe they did and still do.

OttoPylit

ExpressJet_ERJ

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:40 am

We have 15 ER3s for Delta Connection with 2 spare aircraft painted White with a blue tail.
ETOPS...Engines Turn Or People Swim

FlyPNS1
Topic Author

Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:08 am

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 23):
I thought you were already so sure about the yields being positive. Now you sound somewhat hesitant.

I think the yields will be higher because of the O+D nature of the traffic. However, to make this route really profitable, I think they will need the gov't Y fares.

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 27):
Ditto with TPA-JAX, US dropped it as Air Midwest was scaling back.

Continental Connection (operated by Gulfstream) flies TPA-JAX 4x daily with the BE1900. I'd almost think they would be a better fit for the PNS-JAX route as they could fly it cheaper and offer more frequency. 2x daily BE1900 would only be 38 seats each way at a cheaper cost.

avconsultant

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:26 am

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 29):
While the new terminal was being built, the single-wide trailer terminal looked a little shabby, but I hear the new terminal is a beauty inside. I have yet to check it out, though. BQK is a gem to non-rev out of.

It's a very nice terminal. Get this, free parking.

The TSA has or had weird procedures. They force everyone through security a good 30 minutes before the flight arrives. When everyone was is in holding they close security. The TSA disappeared and everything.

As for government travel it's not the Navy as much as the FLETC - Federal Law Enforcement Training. By far the largest employer in Glynn Cty. When I checked in all of these guys were filling out their Firearm forms to carry on board. I noticed a number of men with fanny packs and thinking are these things making a comeback? Then I noticed one embroidered with US Marshall Services and another Diplomatic Security Service.

OttoPylit

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:44 am

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 32):
It's a very nice terminal. Get this, free parking.

Oh yea, BQK has always had that. Very nice. The first time I flew out of BQK, as soon as I stepped out of the car, there was a 6 person golf cart right there. It was a seemingly nice touch to get chauffeur service to the terminal, even though it was only a good 30 feet away. Can't complain though.

The TSA has or had weird procedures. They force everyone through security a good 30 minutes before the flight arrives. When everyone was is in holding they close security. The TSA disappeared and everything.

At least in the "trailer" they had, you didn't have to worry about "missing" your flight, as the distance from the ticket counter, through security, and to the gate was what, 50 feet?

As for government travel it's not the Navy as much as the FLETC - Federal Law Enforcement Training. By far the largest employer in Glynn Cty. When I checked in all of these guys were filling out their Firearm forms to carry on board. I noticed a number of men with fanny packs and thinking are these things making a comeback? Then I noticed one embroidered with US Marshall Services and another Diplomatic Security Service.

Very good point! I totally forgot about FLETC. I guess it wouldn't be wise to try to hijack a CRJ out of Brunswick. As soon as you say, "I have a..." you would have about 50 Gloc's pointed at you.

OttoPylit

FLAIRPORT

Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:28 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 27):
Ditto with TPA-JAX, US dropped it as Air Midwest was scaling back.

um...WN?
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

FlyPNS1
Topic Author

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:59 am

Here's the official press release from DL.

http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/060724/102635.html

What I can't figure out is where the plane that flies PNS-JAX is coming from. It leaves PNS at 7am before the JAX-PNS plane arrives (at 7:17am). There are no other Comair CRJ's in PNS except the one flight that overnights from CVG. However, that plane leaves at 7:10 am to go to back to CVG.

Anyone got any ideas?

DAL767400ER

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:03 am

Interesting to see them also startin BOS-DAY and saturday-only DCA-SAV (since the DOT didn't grant them a slot at DCA to do so).

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 35):
Anyone got any ideas?

The answer to all such problems:
Flight schedule not yet fully loaded on delta.com  Wink .

MAH4546

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:09 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 36):
Interesting to see them also startin BOS-DAY and saturday-only DCA-SAV (since the DOT didn't grant them a slot at DCA to do so).

So smart of Delta to mention what airport the SAV flights goes to the in PR. No mention of Regan or Dulles.
a.

DAL767400ER

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:19 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 37):
So smart of Delta to mention what airport the SAV flights goes to the in PR. No mention of Regan or Dulles.

Indeed, but a short look at delta.com confirms that it'll be DCA.

Humberside

Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:18 am

With DL starting JAX-PNS, are they likely to consider bringing back another Point2Point route - RDU-MSY?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

casinterest

Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:14 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 39):
With DL starting JAX-PNS, are they likely to consider bringing back another Point2Point route - RDU-MSY?

It would be interesting to see, but I think that a lot more convention traffic, and residential return would have to be seen in MSY.

As to the topic of conversation, I could see this as being a very profitable route for Delta just using the Navy.
Since Naval Air Station PNS is the training home for many of the Nations Marine and Naval piliots, and JAX is still one of the larger Naval bases, I could see a lot of Officer transport, and civilian contractor traffic.

Jax's emergence as a financial center bodes well for Business traffic.
Also the growing population of retiree's in PNS and the Cruise lines in JAX offer a bit of traffic opportunity.

The trip on I-10 is 360 miles of boring driving, that you can do 80 on most of the way. Yes 70 is the limit, but you can make good time. I haven't done many rush hours lately, but the traffic around TLH has got to be getting worse.

A flight could be worth it.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

avconsultant

Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:57 am

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 33):
Very good point! I totally forgot about FLETC. I guess it wouldn't be wise to try to hijack a CRJ out of Brunswick. As soon as you say, "I have a..." you would have about 50 Gloc's pointed at you.

On my flight it would have been 49, my Glock was at home.  bigthumbsup 

If someone did attempt that, talk about having a bad day!!

DAL767400ER

Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:14 pm

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 40):
The trip on I-10 is 360 miles of boring driving, that you can do 80 on most of the way. Yes 70 is the limit, but you can make good time. I haven't done many rush hours lately, but the traffic around TLH has got to be getting worse.

Yes, you could do 80 most of the way, but within a 20-mile radius of TLH I'd avoid even going 5mph over the limit. I might not drive through TLH often, but everytime I have been through there, from when I can remember there were always at least 2 Highway Patrol cars hiding in the bushes, and anothe 3 driving on I-10.

casinterest

Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:48 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 42):
always at least 2 Highway Patrol cars hiding in the bushes, and anothe 3 driving on I-10.

The FHP never seemed to bother me. They usually give you 10-15MPH.

It was always those sherrifs around the Suwanee River that were pulling people and hiding in the tress in the median. Those guys were ruthless.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

73G

Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:58 pm

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 43):
It was always those sherrifs around the Suwanee River

That my friends would be the Madison County Sherriff's Department. Its a rural county with a sub 50,000 population and some ridiculous amount of the county's revenue is generated from traffic citations. It is well known by FSU students that whether you are coming or going to Tallahassee to/from the east, you always go the speed limit through Madison.

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 40):
but the traffic around TLH has got to be getting worse.

Especially around 8 am and 5 pm at the Capital Circle (US 319) exit. What a mess!

OttoPylit

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:02 pm

Quoting 73G (Reply 44):
That my friends would be the Madison County Sherriff's Department. Its a rural county with a sub 50,000 population and some ridiculous amount of the county's revenue is generated from traffic citations. It is well known by FSU students that whether you are coming or going to Tallahassee to/from the east, you always go the speed limit through Madison.

Sounds very close to Waldo, FL, between GNV and JAX. A very rural county, and a well-known speed trap. The police knowingly placed speed limit signs stating one posted speed limit, and then would put another less than a half-block away and then just sit and wait. For someone who passes the first speed limit sign within speed limits and sees the second one, unless they stomp on the brakes, they will not be under the new posted speed in time. Most people would just let off on the gas and let the weight of the car slow them down. And that would be a tragic mistake.

It got so bad that AAA put up a billboard right before entering town limits warning travelers of the risk. Needless to say, the Waldo Sheriff's Office did not like their little money-maker being let out of the bag, but could do nothing about it.

OttoPylit

DAL767400ER

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:33 pm

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 45):
Sounds very close to Waldo, FL, between GNV and JAX. A very rural county, and a well-known speed trap. The police knowingly placed speed limit signs stating one posted speed limit, and then would put another less than a half-block away and then just sit and wait. For someone who passes the first speed limit sign within speed limits and sees the second one, unless they stomp on the brakes, they will not be under the new posted speed in time. Most people would just let off on the gas and let the weight of the car slow them down. And that would be a tragic mistake.

Damn, is that even legal? E.g. here in Germany we have regulations that prohibit multiple speed limit signs being put up within such a short distance.

OttoPylit

Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:15 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 46):
Damn, is that even legal?

Unfortunately yes. But there is many a driver who would like nothing more than to see Waldo police get their butts kicked in a legal dispute.

OttoPylit

ha787

Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:18 am

go delta beat the atiomobile Big grin  Big grin!

DAL767400ER

Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:31 am

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 47):
Unfortunately yes. But there is many a driver who would like nothing more than to see Waldo police get their butts kicked in a legal dispute.

I can really understand that *note to self: Never drive US-301 through Waldo,FL*