LAXDESI
Topic Author

Indian Aviation Thread: Part 25

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:32 am

Indian Aviation Thread has reached a milestone, sort of. Thanks to everyone for making this thread interesting and popular.

MODERNISATION OF KOLKATA AND CHENNAI AIRPORTS. Link:
http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=19040

Though the modalities of implementation of the modernization plans of Kolkata and Chennai Airports have yet to be decided, the Airport Authority of India(AAI), in the interim, has drawn up plans for both the Airports. This information was given to the Parliament by Shri Praful Patel, Minister for Civil Aviation in the Rajya Sabha today.

In Kolkata, the AAI envisages the construction of a new international departure block with car parking facilities etc. at an estimated cost of Rs. 225 crores. After this a new international arrival block will be constructed. AAI has already initiated work to extend runways and to develop plans for construction of a new domestic terminal building and 11 additional bays. Construction of an Integrated Cargo Complex is likely to be completed soon.

At the Chennai Airport the AAI has already started construction to expand and modify the International Terminal Block at an estimated cost of Rs. 23.47 crores, 20 additional parking bays are being constructed, further AAI has plans for constructing a new domestic terminal building for which the State Government of Tamil Nadu has been asked to hand over 583 hectares of land to the AAI.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

RE: Indian Aviation Thread: Part 25

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:38 am

MAXjet Confirms: No Truth to Acquisition by Kingfisher Airlines. Link:
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...&newsId=20060725005695&newsLang=en

Quotes:
MAXjet Airways, the industry's first low-fare, all-business class transatlantic airline, has confirmed there is no truth in the report that Indian carrier Kingfisher Airlines International is in advanced talks with MAXjet for an outright acquisition. The unfounded report was published on July 21 by IST Times News Network, dateline New Delhi.

"The article printed in the Times of India business section on July 21 is unfounded," said MAXjet CEO Gary Rogliano. "We never were, and currently are not, in any such discussions to sell MAXjet."

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:45 am

Snag hits Jet's London-Delhi flight. Link:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1803011.cms

Quotes:
NEW DELHI: Over 100 passengers abroad a Jet Airways London-Delhi flight had the most harrowing flying experience of their lives when one of the four engines suffered a mid-air "burn-out".

"After about two hours of flight, there was a loud 'thud' and we saw sparks coming out of one the engines," said Satya Prakash, a passenger on-board the flight on July 15. "Thankfully, it didn't lead to a a fire and the engine was switched off, but we could see on our television monitors that the aircraft was fast losing altitude. It created a panic situation inside the aircraft," he added.

The aircraft was turned around, fuel dumped and returned to London. But this, passengers say, was just the beginning of their ordeal. They allege that the airline didn't accomodate them in hotels till late in the night, a charge that Jet Airways denies.

"There was a technical fault and it was rectified. All passengers were taken care of, put up in hotels and acomodated on British Airways and Jet Airways flights to Delhi and Mumbai. These allegations are baseless," said a Jet spokesperson.

But the passengers have a different story. "When we boarded the flight, we were informed that there was a technical fault. Later, the captain announced that it has ben rectified and we took off. Incidentally, this burn-out happened in the same engine which was so-called rectified.

This just shows the callous attitude of the airline," says Prakash, who has even shot off a letter to civil aviation minister Praful Patel seeking his intervention in the matter.

aseem

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:49 am

We all Desi A.nutters are pleased to announce the Silver Jubilee edition of Indian Aviation thread. Full credit goes to the leadership of dear LAXDESI. He is the biggest desi of us all.  Wink
cheers!!
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

pnqiad

Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:05 am

Quoting Aseem (Reply 3):
We all Desi A.nutters are pleased to announce the Silver Jubilee edition of Indian Aviation thread. Full credit goes to the leadership of dear LAXDESI. He is the biggest desi of us all.

Concur whole-heartedly!! and may we see golden jubilee and beyond with continued enthusiasm!!!!!!

blrsea

Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:17 am

Indian cuisine on Singapore Air flights

Quote:
Singapore Airlines on Tuesday announced the launch of its new Indian in-flight cuisine, the `Shahi Thali' for its first class passengers from August 2006 onwards.

karan69

Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:17 am

Quoting Aseem (Reply 3):
We all Desi A.nutters are pleased to announce the Silver Jubilee edition of Indian Aviation thread. Full credit goes to the leadership of dear LAXDESI. He is the biggest desi of us all.
cheers!!

All hail the King , Hail LAXDESI

Karan

AKLDELNonstop

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:50 pm

Hey Guys,

Any idea on how the Delhi Apt plans are coming along I cant seem to find a website for it yet!!! Also when is the construction for the New Terminal due to start?

Another thing I read in one of the Indian mags, cant remember which was that once completed DEL will be able to handle 100mn pax annually and BOM 28 mn....is this true? ANd if yes does it make any sense? I thought BOM has more traffic than DEL?

BTW congrats to LAXDESI

Cheers

Nimish

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:57 pm

Is Deccan cancelled? Don’t fret, Jet it

Quote:
BANGALORE: They are rivals in distress stretching out a helping hand to each other. Budget carrier Air Deccan and full service operator Jet Airways, which have been contemplating an interlining agreement for quite some time now, finally inked the pact on Tuesday.

Under the agreement (termed Passenger Disruption Agreement), in case of cancellation of flights of either airline on account of technical reasons, weather problems, or inadequate airport infrastructure, passengers would be accommodated on the other's flight.
Analysts said the catchwords for both airlines are better plane load factor and lower rate of cancellations.

Interesting times ahead!
Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR

Nimish

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:54 pm

Air Deccan winds up Mumbai-Nasik service

From: http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/006200607261741.htm

Quote:
Nasik, July 26 (PTI): No-frills carrier Air Deccan has wound up its Mumbai-Nasik service due to poor response, airlines sources said today.

The service was started on March 27, 2005 with 47-seat aircraft operating from Ojhar airstrip, about 21 km from here, to Mumbai. It was discontinued from July 21, the sources said.

Working in association with the Hindustan Auronautics Limited (HAL) facility in Ojhar, the Maharashtra Economic Development Corporation had spent Rs 2.5 crore to make available night landing facilities at local air strip.
"People find the road and rail services between Nasik and Mumbai more convenient to reach their destinations," a source said.

According to police, security staff, including four police officers, deployed at Ojhar airstrip were withdrawn following the discontinuation of the Air Deccan service...

pnqiad

Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:55 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 8):
Is Deccan cancelled? Don’t fret, Jet it

Aren't there several problems with this? I am sure DN and 9W must have addressed those... but

1. DN flies to a number of smaller cities where 9W does not and so to those passengers - it is a pretty useless arrangement.

2. How would the pricing work? Would DN pay 9W more that vice-versa since 9W is a full-service airline?

3. 9W passengers might be quite unhappy with the barebone DN service - though I personally would think they would be glad to get to their destination faster than wait umpteen hours for "full-service" replacement flight.

HAWK21M

Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:47 am

Quoting Aseem (Reply 3):
cheers!!
VT-ASJ

Def one of the Popular Topic Threads.Thanks all for Contributing.Its nice to Know what happens in Aviation with Indian based Airlines.I don't contribute much to the topics,But Def Educational for Me.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

sshank

Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:09 am

I suppose this would work the way stand-by works in the US. After all the 9W booked passengers are accomodated, they will let the DN masses in. That said, will 9W increase its catering reserve in anticipation of the hoards of DN passengers who might show up? Or will they first serve the 9W folks and serve whats left to the DN refugees?

Quoting PNQIAD (Reply 10):
2. How would the pricing work? Would DN pay 9W more that vice-versa since 9W is a full-service airline?

3. 9W passengers might be quite unhappy with the barebone DN service - though I personally would think they would be glad to get to their destination faster than wait umpteen hours for "full-service" replacement flight.

I think the 9W passenger will be happy to just get to where they are going, even if they have to buy a sandwich and bottle of water on board.

AI

Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:59 am

Quoting Sshank (Reply 12):

or maybe 9W will give their pax some compensation to buy water & sandwiches on DN. I am sure getting to their destination within reasonable amount of time & some sort of monetary compensation to buy stuff on DN should keep 9W pax happy.
AS PNQIAD said 9W could cover this by paying DN less vs what DN pays to 9W for carrying their pax.

AI

mahan

Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:35 am

Air Deccan Flight Reliability

My parents were scheduled on the July 25, 0800 hours DN Flight on BLR-MAA sector. Their flight was cancelled at the last minute and they had to buy tickets on Indian for Rs 2K more per head. They had no choice, since they had to be in MAA US Consulate for their Visa interviews by that afternoon. Morever, DN would not refund their money immediately asking them to go the agent who booked their flight.

They were informed that DN's flight dispatch reliability has improved when they booked ther DN flight, but their very first experience was not good ( to put it mildly )..

So I am wondering if the dispatch reliability has increased and if anyone from Air Deccan happens to read this post, note that your company lost our family's business for some time to come..

[Edited 2006-07-26 21:47:41]
Airlines I have flown - IC, 9W, KF, AI, LH, BA, LX, CO, DL, UA, SQ, MH, AA

LFutia

Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:04 am

Indian Airlines called (yes thats right they called) and they said that our flight from Delhi to Jodhpur is cancelled and that they are going to figure something out. Mum wants them to apparently fly 16 of us in a small jet to Jodhpur. I on the other hand dont mind flying down to Mumbai and then up to Jodhpur. If thats the case, then I might as well get Indian Airlines' FFP. Too bad I can't earn miles with them on UA.

Leo
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

aseem

Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting Lfutia (Reply 15):
Too bad I can't earn miles with them on UA.

Then lets together wish that merged AI and IC join *Alliance.
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

sshank

Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:36 am

Mahan - while they may have indeed improved - it is from an abysmal level to a more tolerable level. My BLR-MAA-BLR day trip in Jan was fine (both segements on time). However, the standard Air-India rule of thumb still applies which goes along of lines of "if you really need to be somewhere on a certain day, do not fly AI (or allow a day as a buffer)". I would think something similar should apply to DN. I would fly DN for discretionalry trips - where a delay is not going to upset your plans in a big way, but if you have an interview or starting a new job, or are getting married - stay clear of DN.

Quoting Mahan (Reply 14):
Air Deccan Flight Reliability

My parents were scheduled on the July 25, 0800 hours DN Flight on BLR-MAA sector. Their flight was cancelled at the last minute and they had to buy tickets on Indian for Rs 2K more per head. They had no choice, since they had to be in MAA US Consulate for their Visa interviews by that afternoon. Morever, DN would not refund their money immediately asking them to go the agent who booked their flight.

They were informed that DN's flight dispatch reliability has improved when they booked ther DN flight, but their very first experience was not good ( to put it mildly )..

So I am wondering if the dispatch reliability has increased and if anyone from Air Deccan happens to read this post, note that your company lost our family's business for some time to come..

ammunition

Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:27 am

Is air india really that cheap? people go on and on about how cheap they are, but they are rarely on top of any searches conducted on, for example, opodo,expedia, and their website fare is often beaten by expedia e.t.c.
referring to flights to/from uk
Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

Nimish

Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:05 pm

Quoting Ammunition (Reply 18):
Is air india really that cheap? people go on and on about how cheap they are, but they are rarely on top of any searches conducted on, for example, opodo,expedia, and their website fare is often beaten by expedia e.t.c.
referring to flights to/from uk

I'm guessing it's cheap when you go through the Indian consolidators, and the cheapest fares may not show up on the online booking systems.

Quoting Mahan (Reply 14):
My parents were scheduled on the July 25, 0800 hours DN Flight on BLR-MAA sector. Their flight was cancelled at the last minute

That's sad to hear, but did DN provide any details on why the flight was cancelled? Given they have numerous flights on this sector, did they provide seats on a later flight (I know you wouldn't have taken it due to the interview)?

The standard DN T&Cs clearly state that on cancellation, the money is re-imbursed only via the booking channel. So that should not have been a surprise.

AirIndia

Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:00 pm

Congrats for the quarter century....

certainly becoming the 'Never Ending - Desi Thread'.. Beware Peter Max..!

Cheers.

Nimish

Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:32 pm

New passenger concourse at MAA Kamaraj Airport

From: http://www.hindu.com/2006/07/26/stories/2006072618750600.htm

Quote:
The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has constructed a departure passenger concourse module as an extension of the Kamaraj Domestic Terminal (KDT), which has registered a whopping 50 per cent growth in the domestic passenger traffic in the first quarter of this year.

Giving details of the Rs.1 crore KDT Departure-II module, Chennai Airport Director Dinesh Kumar said the 880 sq mt module was equipped with 15 check-in counters and would cater exclusively to four domestic carriers: Air Sahara, Air Deccan, Spice Jet, and Go Air.

The highlight of the Departure-II facility would be the "express check-in" counters to facilitate passengers with hand baggage.

These special counters would also segregate those with checked-in baggage and thereby ease the congestion.
Chairman of the AAI K. Ramalingam, is likely to declare open the new passenger amenity by the end of the month.

Nimish

Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:34 pm

Stansted hopeful of direct passage to India

From: http://www.businessweekly.co.uk/news/view_article.asp?article_id=10743

Quote:
BAA Stansted executives are advancing talks with a number of carriers about launching direct services from the Essex hub to Delhi and other Indian centres.

BAA Stansted executives are advancing talks with a number of carriers about launching direct services from the Essex hub to Delhi and other Indian centres.

At present passengers with Turkish Airlines can access Delhi from Stansted but indirectly. A non-stop service is seen as a priority as trade between this region of the UK and a number of territories within India gathers momentum.
“With the addition of a second runway and our capacity set to grow to 76 million passengers a year by 2030, Stansted will be ideally placed to take advantage of travellers from India wanting to get to South East England – especially the London and Cambridge areas – as their economy grows and global reach increases.

"We also envisage huge demand for direct flights to India from executives and domestic travellers from the East and South East of England."

As its expansion programme rolls out, Stansted will be able to accommodate millions of ethnic passengers from London’s City and East End areas as well as from other local towns renowned for their high cultural diversity.

Nimish

Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:40 pm

Indian plans to lease 16 aircrafts for expansion

From: http://www.myiris.com/newsCentre/new...6094&dir=2006/07/26&secID=livenews

Quote:
After 43 aircrafts being bought from Airbus for USD 2 billion, public sector carrier Indian is leasing 16 aircrafts to compete more aggressively in the booming aviation market.

Of the 16 aircraft being leased, 12 are wide-bodied aircraft which could help in substantial additional capacity.

Indian has already received four bids for dry lease of wide-bodied aircraft. The airline is also working out plans for short-term lease of four Airbus A320 aircraft.

Indian now deploys only 36 aircraft as many planes are undergoing maintenance. The fleet utilisation will be increased by one aircraft per month to 42 aircraft by January....

Interesting to see that they've received 4 bids this time. Hopefully IC finalize something before all 4 bidders walk away.

cricket

Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:15 pm

Jeh Wadia announced that he (the Wadia Group) is tying up with the SIA Engineering Company to set up the first 'independent' Manitenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) facility in India. The company will start Line-Maintenance operations in eight Indian cities by November and are looking to establish a hangar 'somewhere' in the country for airframe maintenance for narrowbodied jets - ie A32X and 737NG series and will look to invest some $30 million in the next couple of years and have 100 people on the rolls by the end of the year. They also plan to set up a training institute to churn out AME's. The first customer for the JV where SIAEC has a 51% stake and the Wadia 49% will be GoAir obviously.

I think this is a great idea that the Wadia's are getting into - if carriers like DN and SG outsource their maintenance opns they can save even more money. I personally believe this is a better business to get into rather than starting an airline.
A300B2/B4/6R, A313, A319/320/321, A333, A343, A388, 737-2/3/4/7/8/9, 747-3/4, 772/2E/2L/3, E170/190, F70, CR2/7, 146-3,

HAWK21M

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:21 pm

Quoting Cricket (Reply 24):
and are looking to establish a hangar 'somewhere' in the country for airframe maintenance for narrowbodied jets

I wonder where.Too Bad BOM is not an option.
regds
MEL

karan69

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:25 pm

Quoting Cricket (Reply 24):
personally believe this is a better business to get into rather than starting an airline.

MEL , lets start one we all can pool in and also provide "Technik Tours" like SR does at ZRH.

Karan

cricket

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:40 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 25):
I wonder where.Too Bad BOM is not an option.

But Mel, where on earth is there the space in BOM for such a hangar. It will need to be a two/three bay hangar and with the reconstruction plan demolishing all structures on the Kalina side, even AI will need to remove their maintenance facilities. As PP is pushing NAG as a base for the AI/Boeing base, I guess the SIAEC/Wadia combine might look at either that airport or one of the two redveloped southern airports at BLR/HYD and DEL always remains an option.
A300B2/B4/6R, A313, A319/320/321, A333, A343, A388, 737-2/3/4/7/8/9, 747-3/4, 772/2E/2L/3, E170/190, F70, CR2/7, 146-3,

blrsea

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:11 am

B747FAN

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:41 am

Thank you all for continuing these Indian Aviation threads. I love reading all your posts, news excerpts and trip reports from Karan69. Definately a lot of info here. I don't normally post anything, but this is an opportunity to do so. Again thank you all, especially LAXDESI.
) He turns not back who is bound to a star. - Leonardo Da Vinci.

blrsea

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:16 am

AI enters market to wet lease 9 aircraft

Quote:
Air India has entered the market to wet lease up to nine aircraft, including four long-range aircraft and five medium range aircraft.

The airline is to choose from among the Boeing 747-400, 747-300, 777-300 and 200 Extended Range, Airbus A-340-600 and 300, A330-200 and MD-11 for operating its long-range flights.

In addition, the airline plans to select from the Airbus A-310-300 and A-330-200 and Boeing 767 and 757 to meet its medium-range flight requirements. It plans to start leasing the aircraft from October this year, when globally the winter schedule of airlines starts.

The airline has sought to lease at least two long-range aircraft for 11 months and another two of this variety of aircraft for 21 months from October. In the case of the medium-range aircraft, AI plans to lease three aircraft by October and another two by March. It plans to lease the aircraft for two years.

karan69

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:31 am

Quoting Blrsea (Reply 30):
airline is to choose from among the Boeing 747-400, 747-300, 777-300 and 200 Extended Range, Airbus A-340-600 and 300, A330-200 and MD-11 for operating its long-range flights.

Why are the MD-11/747-300 even being considered for lease.
Also as far as i know there are no 346/343 and 332 available for lease,

The 772ERs were available after Varig went in bankruptcy but after it got taken over by Varig Log the investor kept its 777s for its international routes.

B744 now these are some which are available for "DRY" lease in plenty especially i heard that the UA ones 2 of them are gonna soon go to UA.
But the article mentions WET lease of aircrafts----that too for periods in excess of 11 months, I dont think they will recieve any bidders for this tender.

Karan

sammyk

Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:43 pm

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 31):
Why are the MD-11/747-300 even being considered for lease.

They probably just included it as the planes probably meet their requirements but are most likely a last resort if they can't get their hands on the others. I'd love to see an MD-11 in Air India colors just like we got to see an L-1011.

Nimish

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:00 pm

SIA in talks with Kingfisher Air

From: http://www.myiris.com/newsCentre/new...3088&dir=2006/07/28&secID=livenews

Quote:
Singapore Airlines (SIA) is in talks for an interline agreement with Kingfisher Airlines, reports Business Standard.

This move is aimed at offering the international traveller of Singapore Airlines more routes on Kingfisher`s domestic network. At present, Singapore Airlines has a similar arrangement with Indian Airlines....

Nimish

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:03 pm

China, India impact on long-haul doubted

From: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...ory/0,20867,19932792-23349,00.html

Quote:
ASSERTIONS that China and India will transform long-haul airline passenger traffic have been challenged by a leading international consulting group.

Ross Love, the Sydney-based leader of Boston Consulting Group's (BCG) travel and tourism practice, says new research suggests the link between growth in gross domestic product and underlying demand for long-haul air travel is more complicated than forecasters assume.

A report co-authored by Mr Love questions whether the impact of China and India on the long-haul industry has been exaggerated.

It contends that France, Germany, Britain, Japan and the US all have greater absolute growth prospects than India and China.

The group found it was only when gross domestic product (GDP) per capita reached about $US15,000 ($19,680) per year that the full impact of economic growth started to affect demand for long-haul air travel.

But China's GDP per capita is just $US1200 and India's is even lower at $US600. "The relationship between GDP per capita and the propensity for long-haul travel ... is not a linear relationship," Mr Love said. "So it's not a matter that, for every $1000 of extra GDP per capita you see in an economy, you'll get an even increase for long-haul travel.

"We're saying there's an S-curve which kicks in at $US15,000 - at which point the propensity to travel really accelerates."

Mr Love said that although China and India were big economies with large sub-groups of wealthier people, in aggregate they would not have a huge impact on outbound long-haul travel until 2030-40.

BCG instead argues that the potential for growth in developed markets might be greater than people realise.

Interesting article. However I think he misses the point that a lot of the travel to/from India is not from Indians, but from Americans/Britishers/Germans etc, travelling to do business or tourism in India.

Nimish

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:06 pm

AI flight causes scare at Bahrain airport

From: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1820788.cms

Quote:
An Air India A-310 plane recently created a major scare at the Bahrain airport when it landed on the wrong runway and not the one the ATC there had asked it to touch down on. The incident happened earlier this month.

The airline has since asked the erring pilot to remain "on ground" till an inquiry into this serious lapse gets over.

"There was no risk to passengers. Bahrain airport has two runways and our plane did not land on the one it was earmarked to touch down on.

The A-310 was till allowed to land on the other runway as there was no risk (meaning other plane landing or taking off there)," said an airline spokesperson. "The pilot will remain in Mumbai till the probe is over," he said.

Sources pointed out that the industry is facing a severe shortage of pilots because of which the DGCA recently raised the retirement age of pilots for commercial airliners from 60 to 65 some months back.

"Many airlines are now hiring retired pilots and inducting them after re-training. Since they have been out of practice for a while, mistakes can certainly take place," said an aviation industry insider.

Lucky there was no damage due to landing on the wrong runway - it could have led to a disaster. I hope the pilot in command gets to pay all the fines that should be charged to AI.

karan69

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:49 pm

Quoting Sammyk (Reply 32):
They probably just included it as the planes probably meet their requirements but are most likely a last resort if they can't get their hands on the others. I'd love to see an MD-11 in Air India colors just like we got to see an L-1011

That is true an MD-11 in AI colours would look fantastic, unfortunately as far as memory serves there are less than 5 MD-11 in pax service, all the others have been converted for freight use.
Out of the 5 ---2 are with World Airways---Cargo and Chartered tour operator.
3 with Varig which as i said have been acquired by investor company Varig Log.

i have no idea on 747-300s

Karan

sammyk

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:15 pm

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 36):
That is true an MD-11 in AI colours would look fantastic, unfortunately as far as memory serves there are less than 5 MD-11 in pax service, all the others have been converted for freight use.
Out of the 5 ---2 are with World Airways---Cargo and Chartered tour operator.
3 with Varig which as i said have been acquired by investor company Varig Log.

Less than five? I don't have figures handy but I'm pretty certain there are many more than that in passenger service. I think Finnair alone has 5+ and then KLM another 10 or so. I think Alitalia has some too.

cricket

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:18 pm

Quoting Sammyk (Reply 37):
I think Alitalia has some too.

AZ used to fly one of their two MD-11M Combi's into DEL but that got upgraded to a 772. I think both these planes have gone in for conversion to frieghter aircraft. It is unlikely that KL and OY will let go of MD-11's. AI always says it wants planes - but in a seller's market - they have to change the long-drawn out 'tendering' process and be more proactive.

karan69

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:47 pm

Quoting Sammyk (Reply 37):
service. I think Finnair alone has 5+ and then KLM another 10 or so

I agree, i meant to say that there are only 5 pax which have any chance of bing given for lease, i know about KLM and Finnair,
AZ no longer operate pax MD11s

Karan

AirIndia

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:48 pm

slightly off topic, but 2 ex-S2 hostesses managed to create limelight for themselves by forcing entry into the PMs house. Thats bizzare and funny... only hostesses could be dumb enough..  Wink

Nimish

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Quoting AirIndia (Reply 40):
but 2 ex-S2 hostesses managed to create limelight for themselves by forcing entry into the PMs house

Oh - I thought they were current employees, did not realize they were ex-hostesses. Who was the 3rd chap with them?

HAWK21M

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:47 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 41):
Who was the 3rd chap with them?

Probably the Flight steward {biggrin]
Seriously speaking....What were they trying.Heard the Issue is Big now.
regds
MEL

Gr8Circle

Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:43 pm

Quoting Blrsea (Reply 28):
New passenger concourse at Kamaraj Airport

Sorry to say this, but this pic reminds me of the old Santacruz terminal at BOM, back in the 70's....why do all Indian airports have these dull yellow signs with fading black lettering? After a few years they will be almost unreadable...

Quoting Nimish (Reply 34):
Interesting article. However I think he misses the point that a lot of the travel to/from India is not from Indians, but from Americans/Britishers/Germans etc, travelling to do business or tourism in India.

Very true....another example of typical misreading of the Indian market by a western agency....

cricket

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:08 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 34):

Inbound tourism to/from India is still extremely limited and nowhere near its potential. While it is true that J class seats on most airlines are full, it is almost always a 50:50 mix of Indians and foreigners. The survey essentially talks of tourists into and out of India and yes, I believe the hype for long-haul travel is still limited. Sure, the potential exists to double even triple capacity in the next three-four years - but that is the inherent demand. Overall, long-haul travel to and from India is going to be a small part of the Indian aviation story right now. The story is in domestic low-cost air travel.

HAWK21M

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:37 am

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 43):
why do all Indian airports have these dull yellow signs with fading black lettering? After a few years they will be almost unreadable

The BOM WE Highway have got some Signs put up.They look bright & Clear.I hope the Rains dont corrode them.
regds
MEL

Nimish

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:41 am

Air Deccan appoints Cor Blokzijl as VP Flight Operations

From: http://news.moneycontrol.com/india/n...tions/market/stocks/article/231029

Quote:
Air Deccan, India's No. 1 low cost airline, and the 2nd largest airline in the country, today, announced the appointment of Mr. Cor Blokzijl as VP - Flight Operations for the airline. Mr. Blokzijl is a qualified carrier pilot, long maritime pilot, SAW pilot, flight instructor and examiner and has served as the Royal Netherlands Navy as a pilot for 16 years prior to joining Air Deccan. Mr. Blokzijl took charge of his new assignment on 15th July 2006 and will be responsible for flight operations which include flight tracking, scheduling, planning, fuel management, safety management, crew control among others.

Capt. GR Gopinath, Managing Director, Air Deccan said, "I am very pleased Cor Blokzijl has joined this ever growing family of Air Deccan. His vast experience and proficiency in the area of flight operations and training will significantly benefit us and assist us in our vision to build the airline into the country's most profitable airline in the country."

Mr. Blokzijl said, "Flight Operations is the backbone of any airline and is instrumental in its growth. I look forward to this challenging assignment with Air Deccan and contribute to dynamic growth of the airline."

So there's a new OBTK for delayed flights Big grin. Welcome Cor!

himmat01

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:42 pm

Deccan Lanka to commence operations in October 2006

Deccan Lanka will commence operations in October 2006. Initially, it will operate 3 ATRs on CMB-MAA/TRV/IXM/TRZ sectors.

http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=135567
An airplane might disappoint any pilot but it'll never surprise a good one.

sammyk

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:47 pm

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 43):
Sorry to say this, but this pic reminds me of the old Santacruz terminal at BOM, back in the 70's....why do all Indian airports have these dull yellow signs with fading black lettering? After a few years they will be almost unreadable...

What bugs me about those and other signs is that they are usually hand painted/stenciled. Makes everything look so amateurish. Why can't they just buy good quality manufactured signage?

aseem

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:43 pm

Quoting Himmat01 (Reply 47):
Deccan Lanka to commence operations in October 2006

Wonder why can't VM think of anything like that. I my opinion his vision of starting an airlines from US is too far fetched. DN has given us more than enough reasons to believe that small but practical initiatives can work wonders in aviation industry.
rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala