tu204

The Story Of A Flight Attendant (S7 778)

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:39 am

I read an interesting article (that linked to another and another...) about a flight attendant that was onboard Sibir Airlines flight 788 from Moscow Domodedovo to Irkutsk International Airport on July 8th. Everything that I wrote is a direct translation from several Russian articles. I found it pretty interesting to read.

Victoria Zilbershtein (Age: 22; Occupation: Flight Attendant, Siberia Airlines)
She had joined Siberia Airlines two years ago and was based in Moscow. She first thought that she would work as a flight attendant for only a year or two, enough to earn money to get a degree in law. After the first month of flying she absolutely loved her job and knew that she would be doing this for alot longer than she had originally wanted to.
On July 11th she was released from the emergency room of the Irkutsk Central hospital and airlifted to Moscow-Zhukovksy and was then taken to Moscow's Sklifosovsky institute for further treatment. There we talked to her.
Her room is full of flowers from grateful relatives of survivors of the flight that she had a hand in rescuing. Her cell phone is constantly ringing from friends and family and others wanting to know how she is doing. When we asked her what happened on that day, this is what she described.
"Everything went normally. Nothing unusual. The aircraft was coming in for landing and then, after we landed we were rolling, rolling rolling (down the runway) but there was no reverse thrust. We were not stopping. The aircraft was just rolling down the runway. Then I felt as if we started to take off again. I felt as if the nose dropped and then we hit something hard. Alot of the seat belts and seats did not handle this crash and lot of people went flying forward, and bags were flying at me. The lights failed and the cabin went dark, a gray smoke almost instantly started filling the cabin. A wall of fire was coming at us from the rear of the cabin. (mistake? - author) A crowd of people ran up and shouted at me: "Open the door! Open the door!" I was buried under some bags and when I freed myself it was clear that I would not be able to open the door as there were people between myself and it not to mention the smoke that made me move to the door by picturing it from my memory. I could not see a thing. I pushed the people aside and as I did this I prayed that the door was not jammed and would open...and it opened. It looked like about three meters to the ground from the wing exit. I knew that they would be hurt but they would survive. I helped everybody out and I felt as if I was loosing consciousness. I went into the cabin and dragged two men a woman and two children out of the cabin. In my last trip to the exit it I collapsed and then when I stood back up, the heat was unbearable from the already raging fire. Two young men, one of them named Ivan jumped down onto the ground in front of me and said that they would catch me, I jumped and the next thing I remember is that two young men are carrying me away from the plane towards some garages. I then saw the mid-section plane explode. I remember that while they carried my, I kept loosing my sight but I was looking from side to side for my passengers and thinking how they were. After they put my down, I remember calling my mother on my cell phone and saying "Mom! The plane is burning. I am alive." There I saw one of my colleagues with a bandaged up leg. Then I lost consciousness."
While in hospital in, she was visited by the head rabbi of the Russian Federation, Berl Lazar, who told her that he would personally nominate her for the Jewish national award "Person of the Year 5766" (Jewish calendar - author) and that all Jews in Russia are proud of her actions to save the lives of others. Her bedside looked something like a street during rush hour, people coming in and out bringing her flowers and other gifts and just saying thanks. For her actions she will also be given a new apartment by the Federal Government and she has received a medal "For Outstanding Service" from the mayor of Irkutsk, who personally visited her in hospital.
She will be released on July 28th. Her injuries included a serious concussion, multiple fractures and bruises and poisoning from toxic smoke.
Victoria plans to return to work as a flight attendant after she makes a full recovery and goes through a course of rehabilitation.
According to estimates, about 24 people exited through the exit that she opened and she directly saved about 8 people. The only other exit to be opened was one in the tail of the aircraft but the people there were not as lucky, the tail was 4 meters above the ground and most people that left the aircraft through that exit have more serious injuries. None of the escape slides inflated.
http://www.annews.ru/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=49560
http://www.sem40.ru/ourpeople/famous/17457/

Victoria Zilbershtein in the hospital before she was released home

Victoria (right) with colleague Elena Tyurina

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sam Chui

[Edited 2006-07-27 22:43:27]
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

moparman

RE: The Story Of A Flight Attendant (S7 778)

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:44 am

She is a credit to her profession, and more importantly herself; brave and couragous. And dare I say, pretty too.
"Harming a patient is unethical, but I can inflict as much pain as I like" Dr. Phlox

AtlBill

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:50 am

Amazing story. We all forget the real reason flight attendants are on board until you hear about a story like this.

roseflyer

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:46 am

Wow that is an amazing story. She deserves a lot of praise. It is unfortunate that they could not get everyone out like the Air France crew in Toronto was able to. It is amazing that the seats and seatbelts failed. I would have thought that the seatbelts would not fail. It is really unfortunate that the evacuation slides did not deploy. They would have probably saved a lot more people.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Speedbirdie

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:54 am

That story brings a tear to my eye. I hope the some of the miserable passengers i have had in the past (and today) will also one day realise we are not just there to serve them and smile... we are also there for their safety.
Well done Victoria, you truely are an FA in a million  Smile
Safe flying all  Smile
Never give up..

Outlier

Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:23 am

Great work bringing us the translation.

A couple of things raise some questions for me:

Quoting Tu204 (Thread starter):
Alot of the seat belts and seats did not handle this crash and lot of people went flying forward, and bags were flying at me

A crowd of people ran up and shouted at me: "Open the door! Open the door!" I was buried under some bags

1) Seats broke loose?
2) Overhead compartments broke open?

I wonder if any other survivors or rescuers have mentioned details like this.

Imagine surviving the impact, broken seat and all, only to be buried under a pile of carry ons (wonderful "small" 22" rollaboards of course) and you can't get out.

MCOflyer

Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:35 am

I admire her for her courage, and heroism. Shes a rarity these days and its sad you dont see a story like this everytime something happens like this.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

S5FA170

Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:37 am

Great job to her and her fellow crew-members who evacuated the airplane. I'm proud to call them colleagues =)

-Tony
Prepare doors for departure and cross-check.

swissy

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:45 am

First thank you very much for sharing it with us.

Quoting Outlier (Reply 5):
1) Seats broke loose?
2) Overhead compartments broke open?

1 Did you ever heard the "click" just after the aircraft touched down? most likely people un buckled them self while still rolling down the runnway....

2 Based on the pics I have seen impact was hard, no wonder over head bins pop ed.

Once again thank you for the translation TU204

Cheers,

airplaneboy

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:28 pm

Thank you for the translation!  Smile Great job! Big grin

Victoria did exactly what she was trained to do and did an amazing job. Even though flight attendants are trained for the worst, we never anticipate that it could truly happen. I don't consider myself an FAA regulation 'Nazi,' but I can assure you that I certainly make sure that ALL FAA regulations are followed- including placing all handbags and purses under the seats in front or in the enclosed overhead bins. There was a thread here recently about a pax who was deplaned from a CX flight from refusing to follow such a regulation. The uniformity in air travel regulations amongst various nations is a testament to the validity of air safety research and as described in Victoria's story, whether any of the bags were secured or not (although it sounds like the overhead bins failed), it shows how dangerous it can be with things flying around the cabin amidst a sudden stop. I have to say I encounter a lot of disappointment with passengers stowing their laptops under the seats in an enclosed case as some don't understand that a laptop doesn't fit completely within the seatback pocket and they are not designed to hold such a large amount of weight. We certainly don't want to imagine what things would be like if those flying bags were flying laptops.

I apologize for the rant here, but am glad Victoria has shared her story. I hope it opens the eyes of passengers that even the "littlest" things we ask during compliance is not because of our wanting to be mean or "bossy," but because we are required to follow every regulation set forth by the FAA (or respective agencies in other nations) and are obligated to ensure the safety of not just one particular passenger, but for their neighbors on board as well.

Fly safe!

Cheers!  Smile

afay1

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:48 pm

As the A310 is an "older" model in relative terms it is unlikely it had the most up-to-date G-force resistant seats installed, therefore making it entirely plausible that many failed. Most of the articles I have seen on the crash refer to failed seabelts, but of course some people may have taken them off or never put them on. The bin thing is normal for most airplanes more than a few years old.

While similar in some respects to the Toronto crash, this was an older design that hit a wall and then a building. We also still have no real answer as to the cause of the Toronto crash, nor do we ever really it seems whenever an Airbus is involved in these sorts of accidents.

A terrible tragedy and a courageous gal to be sure...

trekster

Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:11 pm

And some people say FA's are just there to look pretty and serve Drinks.

She is a credit to how heroc flight attendents are in a situation.
She deserves all the commendation she can get for going above and beyond the call of duty.
Where does the time go???

piercey

Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:47 pm

Wow, an amazing story. Thanks for sharing.

Either way, guess this slaughters the rumor of S7 in Star
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

rdynyc

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:39 pm

WOW! and to think that I worked that actual aircraft when it served with Pan Am!

Markhkg

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:43 pm

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 10):
As the A310 is an "older" model in relative terms it is unlikely it had the most up-to-date G-force resistant seats installed, therefore making it entirely plausible that many failed.

It's hard to tell from the article what failed exactly, but it would be interesting to find out. Was it the seat belt fastener, the seat itself...or more often than not, the floor attachment to the seats?

Quoting Trekster (Reply 11):
She deserves all the commendation she can get for going above and beyond the call of duty.

Definetely! She showed the primary reason why fight attendants are aboard aircrafts.

It looked like about three meters to the ground from the wing exit

So does this mean she was stationed at Doors 2L or 2R (the overwing exits)? Does the article say which door she opened? I'm wonder if she was in a rear-facing jumpseat as well. That might have protected her from the impact forces.
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

Aeroflot777

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:10 pm

What an amazing story! Thanks for posting it. Reading it in Russian made it even more real for me. It's just simply unbelievable. She is definitely a hero in the eyes of many people. I am very happy she has a steadfast goal in front of her of returning to work as a FA for S7! Well done Victoria!! Thank you!

Aeroflot777

mainMAN

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:27 pm

Great story, what a true professional she is.

Quoting AirplaneBoy (Reply 9):
I don't consider myself an FAA regulation 'Nazi,' but I can assure you that I certainly make sure that ALL FAA regulations are followed- including placing all handbags and purses under the seats in front or in the enclosed overhead bins.

You do that AirplaneBoy, it really pisses some passengers off (like me) when people start unbuckling and moving around before the engines are turned off, it's such an obviously foolish and dangerous thing to do.

airplaneboy

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:04 pm

Thanks for the compliment MainMAN. There always are certain ways to approach customers about regulations and there's never an excuse for being rude. I will say that I have been lucky in only having encountered just a couple of passengers refusing to comply with safety requests. It's scenarios like Victoria's that reminds all of us in the flying business to not become complacent and that safety is not a customer service issue.

Cheers!  Smile

tu204

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:51 pm

I have seen on the crash refer to failed seabelts, but of course some people may have taken them off or never put them on.

The exact translation from her statement in Russian about what happened regarding the seatbelts:
"...È âäðóã íîñ òêíóëñÿ âïåðåä, â çåìëþ. Òîë÷îê áûë òàêèì ñèëüíûì, ÷òî ðåìíè áåçîïàñíîñòè íå âûäåðæàëè ðûâêà - ëîïíóëè, êàê íèòêè..."
"...And the nose dropped down, into the ground. The impact was so hard that the seatbelts did not handle the force - they burst, like strings..."

It seems that the seatbelts themselves did not handle the deceleration forces. I know that the new Russian aircraft are rated for 16G's as are the new American aircraft, but before they were rated for a lower value. I am not 100% certain about the exact G values.

Quoting MarkHKG (Reply 14):
So does this mean she was stationed at Doors 2L or 2R (the overwing exits)? Does the article say which door she opened? I'm wonder if she was in a rear-facing jumpseat as well. That might have protected her from the impact forces.

I do not know what side she was on, but if we look at it logically, she definately had the wing exit because of her statement about the height of the exit above the wing where she referred to it as a wing exit. We can also deduce that she opened the right hand exit and evacuated through it because when she recalled being carried away from the wreckage, she stated that she was being carried toward some garages. If we look at the photo of the crash site, the garages are on the right side of the aircraft. Unless ofcourse she exited through the left side and then got carried around the aircraft which seems a bit unlikely to me. We can also deduce that she was sitting in a rearward facing jumpseat because her statements make it clear that she was seeing what was happening in the rear of the cabin and that she was buried in items that were flying AT her (i.e. forward) and the concussion she has is from a hard object that hit her in the head (maybe some spotter's camera?) If she was sitting in a forward facing jumpseat this would be impossible.

Quoting Piercey (Reply 12):

What were the rumors?

Quoting S5FA170 (Reply 7):
Great job to her and her fellow crew-members who evacuated the airplane. I'm proud to call them colleagues =)

I am afraid that only her and another flight attendant managed to get out alive. (She reffered to her when she was set down after carried clear of the aircraft)

Quoting Outlier (Reply 5):
I wonder if any other survivors or rescuers have mentioned details like this.

No rescuers entered the aircraft - it exploded about 5 minutes after the crash. (do you mean crash investigators? They are not talking as the investigation is still going.)
I read that some other passengers: a weightlifting coach who braced for impact and noted that the seat in front of him slid forward. Another passenger stated that he was sitting beside his wife and could not free her from her seat because it was "displaced" (we was the last person pulled out by Victoria...his wife did not make it out)
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

mainMAN

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:54 pm

Quoting AirplaneBoy (Reply 17):
There always are certain ways to approach customers about regulations and there's never an excuse for being rude.

Yes, it must be hard to stay charming and diplomatic sometimes!

ardian

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:24 pm

Thank you for translating this amazing story! What a great woman is Victoria

777Dad

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:24 pm

This is truely an amazing story,Thanks for sharing it with us.
A remarkable young lady.
I would like to know however if FA's train regularily on emergency evac situations, and when yes, then how often?

Jeff
"I love to fly,I just don't do it enough"

GatwickA320

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:27 pm

Victoria you are one amazing girl. We can never imagine what a real crash would be like because every situation is so different, we never know exactly how people will react at the time.

Even when aware she was losing consciousness she still went back into a smoke filled cabin to rescue more passengers. That takes serious courage.

I'm sure the whole aviation industry is very proud of her.

FlyEmirates

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:49 pm

No slides inflated, i question the maintenance at S7 particularly when looking over at justplanes news there were 3 other safety incidents affecting other S7 a310s that month.

ReverseThrust

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:50 pm

That is truly amazing. What an outstanding credit Victoria is, both to S7 and for taking risks to ensure the safety of her passengers in the face of danger and almost death.

Best wishes to her for a full recovery and admiration for her to carry on her career.
Flown MD11/81/82/83/87/90,B732/733/734/735/737W/738/739/742/752/753,F70/100,A300/319/320/321/332/333/343,TU134A/154M,L10

Stjuard

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:26 pm

I have no words do describe what a great person she is... I'm speechless and wish all my fellow FAs worldwide were like her.
Slides armed, crosscheck done.

roseflyer

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:43 pm

Quoting Tu204 (Reply 18):
I am afraid that only her and another flight attendant managed to get out alive. (She reffered to her when she was set down after carried clear of the aircraft)

3 of the 10 flight attendants survived the crash. 76 of the 193 passengers on board survived.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

manni

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:03 pm

We also still have no real answer as to the cause of the Toronto crash, nor do we ever really it seems whenever an Airbus is involved in these sorts of accidents.

Yeah sure  thumbsdown 
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

B777-700

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:11 pm

She did what FA's are trained to do in these situations. Remember that the next time some of you get irate with them, or hurl insults about their size / age on here.

She is a blessing to her company.
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

afay1

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:25 pm

Quoting Manni (Reply 27):
We also still have no real answer as to the cause of the Toronto crash, nor do we ever really it seems whenever an Airbus is involved in these sorts of accidents.

There have been valid questions as to the integrity of Airbus crash investigations especially in relation to the importation of black-boxes into France. I am not saying nobody else has been involved in cover-ups, but if one looks through the (admittedly not many accidents) crashes and the causes, most of them are pointedly vague and attributable to "pilot error." While of course there can actually be pilot error, you get my point.

Outlier

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:56 pm

Quoting Swissy (Reply 8):
1 Did you ever heard the "click" just after the aircraft touched down? most likely people un buckled them self while still rolling down the runway....

2 Based on the pics I have seen impact was hard, no wonder over head bins pop ed.

If you read her account, she says a lot of seats and seat belts did not handle the crash. This indicates that seat belts broke, seats broke loose.
There is a big problem here.

Same with overhead bins.

Humans survived an impact better than structures designed to protect them from the impact. Something is not quite right here.

iairallie

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:57 pm

Great job I am so proud of her!

Quoting 777DAD (Reply 21):
I would like to know however if FA's train regularily on emergency evac situations, and when yes, then how often?

Yes we do. Before every flight we have a preflight briefing first with the purser where we review a safety proceedure and a Captains briefing where the Captain will review a safety proceedure. Every take off and landing we do a 30/60 second review where we mentally go over evacuation commands, door operarations, look for able bodied persons to assist in an emergency, and think about how we'd handle complications. Then once a year we attend recurrent training where we get hands on emergency equipment trainining.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

piercey

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:23 am

Quoting Piercey (Reply 12):

What were the rumors?

Just going slightly offtopic, there was a rumor (not a very good one) that to compete with SkyTeam, Star was going to try to get a Russian Airline. The rumor was between S7 and AiRUnion (if it ever gets off the ground).
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

Tod

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:24 am

I know that the new Russian aircraft are rated for 16G's as are the new American aircraft, but before they were rated for a lower value. I am not 100% certain about the exact G values.

New aircraft:

16g forward
3g up
3g side (4g seats)
6g down
1.5g rearward

It used to be 9g forward.

With seats and seatbelts it gets more complex, the must also comply with the following:

14CFR25.561

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...ode=14:1.0.1.3.11.3.169.62&idno=14

14CFR25.562

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...ode=14:1.0.1.3.11.3.169.63&idno=14

14CFR25.785

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...ode=14:1.0.1.3.11.4.177.50&idno=14

Tod

777Dad

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:25 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 31):

Thank You for your answer, and I'm proud of her too. angel 

Jeff
"I love to fly,I just don't do it enough"

catholic2006

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:03 am

I love flight attendants, and this reminds me why. All I usually think of flight attends as are the kind people that make you feel comfortable on your flights and make sure you are having an amazing travel experience. I love how friendly and conversational they can be while serving beverages and snacks (I've never had a meal on an airplane), and how everytime I used to fly alone (even when I didn't have UM service), they would try and make sure that I got to my next gate safely and didn't get lost in the airport (I don't know if you all remember my post about my AA flight to LIT (that's Little Rock National, right) where the flight attendant asked this passenger sitting next to me to show me to my next gate, after she had given me lots of those really good graham cookies, I forget what they're called). That made me feel so nice. After reading this story, it's amazing how selfless people can be and how even in the midst of fear, they still have a greater desire to help others and save lives. Gros, grosss bisous (lots of hugs and kisses) to her. I will never think of a flight attendant the same way ever again. . .

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 16):
You do that AirplaneBoy, it really pisses some passengers off (like me) when people start unbuckling and moving around before the engines are turned off, it's such an obviously foolish and dangerous thing to do.

I totally agree. Even in cars and automobiles where there is a seat belt, I keep it on until the car is stopped and I'm ready to get out. I know a lot of travelers are in a hurry and I can understand that, but taking your seat belt off is not something that is usually time consuming. Now, that is just me, and it could be because I'm very cautious when traveling, but I agree with you.

To all of you flight attendants out there, former, current, and prospective, you're amazing!!!

~chris~
Ne vous inquietez pas. Je ne vous hais pas . . . . encore, mais faites attention !

brdcessna

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:38 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 6):
I admire her for her courage, and heroism. Shes a rarity these days and its sad you dont see a story like this everytime something happens like this.

I couldnt have said it any better, My hats off to all F/A's out there

MD80Nut

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:10 am

Thanks for sharing the story, Tu204. As a frequent flyer, I've always had great respect for the job flight attendants do and find the great majority to be true professionals in every way. It always riles me up when people refer to them as glorified drink and peanut passers, the job entails so much more than that.

Hats off to Victoria and a speedy recovery for her and all victims of the crash.

Cheers, Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

swissy

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:13 am

Quoting Outlier (Reply 30):
If you read her account, she says a lot of seats and seat belts did not handle the crash. This indicates that seat belts broke, seats broke loose.

Agree, but impact force (g force) needs to be determent, same with the over head bins, have been on flights with very rough weather and these things pop
by them self.

What I tried to say is if I un buckle my belt and the plane hits and object at a high rate of speed where do I go..... 200lbs x ... = ripping out seats in front of me or take over head bins out...... that is just a possibility based on what I can see during all my flights I have taken, that it is very common for some people to un buckle as soon aircraft has touched down.... that's all.

Remember that trial crash done in the USA they had cameras in the cabin an it was quite shocking to see how everything broke up......

CruzinAltitude

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:14 am

Her story is truly a credit to the men and women who do that job. If you think about it, the have to put up with all the passengers crap (and passengers really do dish it out), but when it hits the fan, they put themselves second to the safety of those same passengers.

The FAs are an amazing bunch of folks. Thanks.

aircanl1011

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:18 am

She is an incredable person. Although a Flight Attendent is trained to stay there and save lives, it takes a special person to be able to do that in the face of death.

It is because of actions like Victoria's that make me wonder how anyone can look down at a flight attendent or treat them with any less respect than you would the pilot who flies the plane. They are a crucial part of a well trained team that can make all the difference between a passenger living or dying. All passengers should feel privaledged that these people serve them meals and coffee when you think of what is expected of them in the case of an accident.

The fact that she is planning on returning to her job makes her all that much more courageous.
CYMRU AM BYTH / WALES FOREVER

usair320

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:23 am

Wow and this makes me really wondor why some idiots call F/A's Glorified waitresses. This is truley a heroe.

usair320

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:31 am

Wow and this makes me really wondor why some idiots call F/A's Glorified waitresses. This is truley a heroe.

aa757first

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:35 am

I thought this was their job? Anyway, she did do a good job. How many other flight attendants survived?

Also, its seems odd the slides didn't inflate. I know that slides automatically deployed when the door is opened in the armed position sometimes fail, but I thought that its very rare for them not to inflate when you pull the manual handle.

The overhead bins opening probably should be expected. In older aircraft, they sometimes pop open during hard landings.

AAndrew

Markhkg

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:56 am

Quoting FlyEmirates (Reply 23):
No slides inflated, i question the maintenance at S7 particularly when looking over at justplanes news there were 3 other safety incidents affecting other S7 a310s that month.

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 43):

Actually, the slides may have inflated but deflated due to fire or debris. I remember seeing a picture of one of the Door 3 exits on S7 and there was a deflated evacuation slide...meaning it did deploy (otherwise it would still have been in the slide spack) but probably was destroyed quickly in the evacuation sequence.

This is one of the photos which I think you can see the deflated slide. It also illustrates the incredible amount of sharp debris that could have punctured the slides.

http://www.hindu.com/2006/07/10/images/2006071003821401.jpg

[Edited 2006-07-28 20:00:44]

CO7e7

Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:28 am

Thank you for the translation TU204.. Victoria is indeed a hero, and she is definitely an asset to her airline and the Russian aviation.

Quoting Speedbirdie (Reply 4):
not just there to serve them and smile... we are also there for their safety.

checkmark  I personally think FAs are the backbone for an airline's success.

Thank you to ALL the F/As who work really hard to make our flights more enjoyable and comfortable.

-Zaki

Outlier

Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:52 am

Quoting Swissy (Reply 38):
Quoting Outlier (Reply 30):If you read her account, she says a lot of seats and seat belts did not handle the crash. This indicates that seat belts broke, seats broke loose.

Agree, but impact force (g force) needs to be determent, same with the over head bins, have been on flights with very rough weather and these things pop by them self.

Yes. The latches should be strong, be able to stand some flexing of the structure far beyond turbulance.

What I tried to say is ... that it is very common for some people to un buckle as soon aircraft has touched down.... that's all.

Ok, I understand. I thought perhaps you hadn't read her description.

Remember that trial crash done in the USA they had cameras in the cabin an it was quite shocking to see how everything broke up......

Well there is one of an experimental fuel/tank anti-fire thing some years ago. I've seen bits and pieces of various tests over the years - we've all probably watched the same stuff.

I think we are both on the same track, just a little bit of mis-understanding.

This particular crash was not exactly the worst case scenario as far as impact and forces. The interior just shouldn't come apart that easily, the seats should be able to withstand more Gs than what this crash probably produced, the latches on the bins should hold - the doors were put there to keep things in.

Just going by what I've read and seen over the years about all this, like most of us here.

Which is why I was wondering if anybody had ever read witness accounts of this type of damage before. I haven't, but I don't dig around looking for investigation reports like others do.

Markhkg

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:10 am

Quoting Outlier (Reply 46):
Well there is one of an experimental fuel/tank anti-fire thing some years ago. I've seen bits and pieces of various tests over the years - we've all probably watched the same stuff.

Actually, I remember a documentary that noted those NASA experimental fuel crash tests showed that the accident (in terms of impact forces) were in fact survivable-- it would, however, have been the smoke, toxic gases and fire that would have killed people.

YYZYYT

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:19 am

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 29):
There have been valid questions as to the integrity of Airbus crash investigations especially in relation to the importation of black-boxes into France. I am not saying nobody else has been involved in cover-ups, but if one looks through the (admittedly not many accidents) crashes and the causes, most of them are pointedly vague and attributable to "pilot error." While of course there can actually be pilot error, you get my point.

Oh puhlease. MUST YOU turn it into an AvB bash?

This thread is about an FA who takes a job abnd is trained for potential emergencies, and then when the worst happens she does her job well and in the most trying circumsntances - and ends up saving lives.

In short, No, I don't get your point. What does this have to do with the thread?

Outlier

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:23 am

Quoting MarkHKG (Reply 47):
Quoting Outlier (Reply 46):Well there is one of an experimental fuel/tank anti-fire thing some years ago. I've seen bits and pieces of various tests over the years - we've all probably watched the same stuff.

Actually, I remember a documentary that noted those NASA experimental fuel crash tests showed that the accident (in terms of impact forces) were in fact survivable-- it would, however, have been the smoke, toxic gases and fire that would have killed people.

Yes, that's been the findings over and over again.