Topic Author

Why Is NZ In Star?

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:53 am

I was wondering why Air New Zealand is in Star. It seems like most of the countries that were in some way related to the UK have their main carriers in oneworld: BA, CX, QF, AA, EI. I thought QF owns a stake in NZ. Why did they decide to go with Star and not follow QF into oneworld?
/// U N I T E D

RE: Why Is NZ In Star?

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:13 am

There are competitive measures in the past that have restricted Air New Zealand and Qantas from partnering because of competition requirements on the transtasman routes. Although that is changing.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:18 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 1):
Although that is changing.

Not yet it's not. QF indeed used to own around 20% of NZ, tied in with JAL and AA and Brierly Investments, but eventually Brierlys became the primary shareholder with the rest floated on the sharemarket. Though I believe QF did maintain a holding until the late 1990s.

QF has been and remains a competitor, so it was convenient for NZ to link with the major opposing force, Star-carriers, in the mid 1990s. Also it was envisaged that originally there would be a large opposing block of NZ and Ansett as the opposition in New Zealand and Australia against Qantas.

Added to that is that Star was the first of the alliances and remains the largest of the three, with better coverage across Asia, North America and continental Europe.

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:41 pm

I wonder if it would make more sense for Qantas if they entered Star. It might reduce perhaps eliminate pressure from Singapore Airlines to allow them enter the Australia - US market?, they could also be friends with United on these routes and they would be in the same alliance as Air New Zealand.
"I get what they call a stipend, a stipend is like money but its such as small amount they don't really call it money"