gman3

Official; UA Shifting JFK-NRT/ceasing JFK-LHR

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:36 pm

Effective Oct 27th, JFK-NRT is shifting to IAD and the NY-London authority is being sold to Delta.
This is something we had expected for the last month but didn't think the route was going to be sold off. It is truly a shame that they could not make it work.

capicuuu

RE: Official; UA Shifting JFK-NRT/ceasing JFK-LHR

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:38 pm

Any source for this??

gman3

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:40 pm

It was announced to us today by the company via memo.

CVG777

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:40 pm

kaitak744

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:46 pm

Quoting Gman3 (Thread starter):
NY-London authority is being sold to Delta.

NY-London as in NY-LHR??? or is it just Gatswick we are talking here for Delta.

UAL777UK

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:46 pm

I am very surprised that they have given up on the JFK-NRT/LHR routes. I guess they view that the corporates up front in F & J will simply be happy to go through IAD or ORD. Another LHR route gone!!!

COEWRNJ

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:49 pm

Why did they have to sell their route authority to DL? Can't anyone fly NYC-LON?

Alitalia744

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:50 pm

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 4):
NY-London as in NY-LHR??? or is it just Gatswick we are talking here for Delta.

It's to Gatwick as DL isn't part of the B2 agreement.

This is however, an important route acquisition for Delta as they have long sought a NYC-London link.

Congrats to Delta!
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

gman3

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 4):
NY-London as in NY-LHR??? or is it just Gatswick we are talking here for Delta

Just Gatwick. Delta also released a statement welcoming the new JFK-LGW route.

DLPMMM

Does this also mean the UA is selling it's LHR slots or will they use them for ORD or IAD?

How much is DL paying UA?

STT757

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:52 pm

We had this very discussion a couple weeks ago, myself and a couple other posters predicted UAL would drop these two routes but others cited as UAL777UK has their corporate contracts as reason why they would not drop the routes.

I think the expense of operating such an isolated station for UAL at JFK was just too much, for business travel from JFK,LGA,EWR they have Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

jaysit

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:56 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 10):
I think the expense of operating such an isolated station for UAL at JFK was just too much, for business travel from JFK,LGA,EWR they have Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Yeah, but which business traveller in her right mind will take a connecting flight from New York to London Heathrow when she has a choice of about 20 nonstops daily?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

worldtraveler

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:57 pm

sad day for UA in NYC and further fuels UA's need for a merger. You can't be a global carrier and not compete in NYC. But you also can't continue to lose money - something UA has done in NYC for a long time. And the bleeding is only getting worse as DL expands at JFK.

First, DL "stole" one of UA's US-Brazil frequencies, now London, and UA has set up DL to be able to start JFK-NRT. I'd almost think UA is setting themselves up (ORD, SFO, and the Pacific) to be acquired by DL.  Smile

AwysBSB

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:00 pm

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 5):
I am very surprised that they have given up on the JFK-NRT/LHR routes. I guess they view that the corporates up front in F & J will simply be happy to go through IAD or ORD.

That change was expected… IAD is a great hub which also serves NYC, so UA does not need focus on JFK.
Is there any plan for UA leave T7 of JFK?

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 12):
You can't be a global carrier and not compete in NYC.

It is hard an airline be global without following the hub-and-spoke paradigm.

And the bleeding is only getting worse as DL expands at JFK.

I do not like to see DL growing at JFK too… I would prefer to see they expanding at BOS

[Edited 2006-07-28 16:13:58]

UAL777UK

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:00 pm

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 9):
Does this also mean the UA is selling it's LHR slots or will they use them for ORD or IAD?

Well, it could be a clever move on UA's part to sell the slot to DL and make a few bucks, then if open skies opens up LHR, then there is more oppurtunity for them to expand. Although whether they get decent slots is another thing all together!

I dont believe for one minute they will bail out of LHR altogether.

NYC777

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:02 pm

So please explain to me this:

What happened to UA's JFK - LHR route? Are they still operating it or will they completely cease that route? How about EWR - LHR?

It seems to me that the only carriers now on the JFK - LHR route will be AA, BA, VS, AI and KU. Am I wrong?

[Edited 2006-07-28 16:05:12]
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

MalpensaSFO

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:04 pm

We had this very discussion a couple weeks ago, myself and a couple other posters predicted UAL would drop these two routes but others cited as UAL777UK has their corporate contracts as reason why they would not drop the routes.

STT757,

We have been at odds before, but you have summed it up perfectly. These two routes, all be it prestige only served a niche market that seems to be swaying in the way of the airlines with the most power in the NYC market. Although shocking the changes will come so soon. This was something that sadly has been bound to happen at one time or another. The next question is with the dropping of the JFK-NRT/LHR will UAL continue its JFK service or consolidate the IAD service to LGA, and the LAX/SFO Trans-Con P.S. product to Newark?
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

Alitalia744

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:05 pm

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 14):
Well, it could be a clever move on UA's part to sell the slot to DL and make a few bucks, then if open skies opens up LHR, then there is more oppurtunity for them to expand. Although whether they get decent slots is another thing all together!

I dont believe for one minute they will bail out of LHR altogether.

Yes and no in some ways. If openskies opens up LHR, DL is already in the process of securing necessary slots for 2 daily ATL-LHR and 2 daily JFK-LHR...these will come first from their partner over in France...

Interesting times ahead.

tinpusher007

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:11 pm

Quoting AwysBSB (Reply 13):
IAD is a great hub which also serves NYC

IAD is a great hub, yes...but it most certainly does not serve NYC. It might be fair to say it serves the Northeast and competes with NYC, but does not serve it.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

commavia

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:15 pm

A few thoughts on this news:

First off, who would have ever thought five years ago that by 2006, both Northwest and United (the "corporate successor" of Pan Am across the Pacific) would have both pulled out of the flagship New York-Tokyo route, and American, which didn't even enter the market until after the millenium, would be thriving on it?

Second, I have to hand it to them, this is another smart move by United -- this completes their gradual elimination of JFK as an important gateway within their system. It is now simply relegated to an outstation served by p.s. to LAX/SFO, and Express to IAD, but it has lost its place as a key United gateway. This is prudent on United's part, as fighting at JFK against American and Delta, to say nothing of Continental across town at EWR, was hopeless. (Reminiscent of United's also smart move to forget about MIA and leave it to American.) This is also smart on United's part because they can make a little cash off the sale of the authority to Delta, without actually having to give up the really valuable asset -- the Heathrow slots -- and still focus resources on bigger, better markets, like Washington-Tokyo, which should do quite well with the huge United feed at both ends.

Two quick questions that these developments bring up on the United side:

1. What will happen to the daily slot currently being used for the daily JFK-LHR-JFK rotation? Perhaps a fifth daily IAD-LHR, or another flights to ORD? Or will they sell it for big bucks like the last slots they gave up?

2. With United starting Dulles-Tokyo, and stepping on the toes of what has been for several years ANA's sovereign territory, and with United refusing to give ANA access to its O'Hare Terminal 1 gate space, does this signal any tangible shift in United's relationship with ANA, or just business as usual?

Finally, Delta is going to have fun trying to be competitive on JFK-LGW. It reminds me of their intense optimism with BOS-Gatwick back in the summer of 2001. With over 20 daily flights from the New York metro area to Heathrow, a higher-yielding and far more in-demand airport, why does Delta think that JFK-LGW will be any different than BOS-LGW, where they got their head handed to them by AA and BA who flew to Heathrow? Now, JFK may fair a bit better because it serves a larger O&D market, and will benefit from Delta connections, but I still don't see it being around long-term.

Should be interesting to watch ...

NYC777

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:21 pm

Why on earth would anyone really want to fly to LGW from JFK when they have LHR. I would have hoped that DL would have tried to buy the LHR authority from UA. Again what's happening with the JFK-LHR slots that UA has?
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

JoFMO

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:21 pm

What happens to their current 2 flights to TPE from Nagoya and NRT?

If I remember correctly there is a 777 flight SFO-NGO-TPE. Is NGO in any danger or could we hope for a shift to Manila or anything else in East Asia?

BigOrange

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:23 pm

So does this mean no United CRJ's at JFK also??

Why could DL not start JFK-LGW without purchasing the route authority? Presumably they had their own slots at both JFK and LGW, and I thought LGW was exempt from the Bermuda II.

AwysBSB

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:24 pm

Quoting TinPusher007 (Reply 18):
IAD is a great hub, yes...but it most certainly does not serve NYC. It might be fair to say it serves the Northeast and competes with NYC, but does not serve it.

IAD serves NYC for sure!
There are many passengers of Star Alliance flying to/from NYC and the connection options they have are at IAD, YYZ, FRA, CPH and so on.

[Edited 2006-07-28 16:27:12]

gman3

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:26 pm

Our PS service does quite well ( although it is word of mouth from the "head honchos") However I know that our passengers love it. I have never received a negative comment when working the flight. I would hope it would not disappear and it obviously flies to 2 United hubs so i dont think we have to worry. It is truly a shame the flying we have lost from NY, even from theh end of the 90s.
The truth is that as I am a native of the NYC metro area, I NEVER flew UA growing up. It was AA to the left coast and Delta or Eastern to FLA. United was never a major player and never marketed itself or took an aggressive stance in NY. It is quite evident now.

DCAYOW

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:30 pm

I think UA finally realized that IAD is their main northeast hub. This has been an evolution. UA probably looked very closely at the success of the transfer of the Latin America routes from JFK to IAD.

The big question is what happens to the NH flight. My understanding was that one of NH's biggest fears was UA starting IAD-NRT.
Retorne ao céu...

Alitalia744

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:31 pm

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 22):
Why could DL not start JFK-LGW without purchasing the route authority? Presumably they had their own slots at both JFK and LGW, and I thought LGW was exempt from the Bermuda II.

Still part of Bermuda 2...anyway you slice it

worldtraveler

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:33 pm

It is hard an airline be global without following the hub-and-spoke paradigm.

But if you build your network to provide no hub at NYC – the world’s largest air travel market – you cannot be a truly global carrier. AA, CO, and DL all have hub or major operations in NYC. I don’t believe it is a coincidence that those carriers are fast becoming the strongest US airlines to the world. UA has shown it cannot compete in the most competitive markets which bodes very poorly for their future – esp. as LFCs continue to expand in UA’s key markets and hubs.

I will reiterate again. DL and CO have consistently had better average fares from their ATL/CVG/EWR/IAH gateways to LGW than UA has had from either JFK or even – get this – ORD – to LHR. UA has not been able to get a fare premium to LHR over DL and CO to LGW from its hometown hub to LHR.

LHR is not in any way a guarantee of success. And neither is LGW a sentence to lose money.

DLPMMM

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:34 pm

Commavia,

Good points.

There may be enough O&D between the south and east of London and NYC to make this work for DL.

Is there anyone else flying JFK-LGW?

If not, I could see it working well and relatively low risk given the DL LGW station is already established.

[Edited 2006-07-28 16:37:02]

BigOrange

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:36 pm

Quoting DCAYOW (Reply 25):
The big question is what happens to the NH flight. My understanding was that one of NH's biggest fears was UA starting IAD-NRT.

NH will probably pick up extra business from JFK to make up what they lose at IAD.

MalpensaSFO

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:36 pm

Quoting NYC777 (Reply 20):
Why on earth would anyone really want to fly to LGW from JFK when they have LHR.

Come On! Not evryone wants to or needs to fly into Heathrow...

Funny, that the premium business classes only service fly to Stansted, their clients see no need to fly into Heathrow. In addition the connections at Stansted, and Gatwick are 10x easier than they are at Heathrow.

Again what's happening with the JFK-LHR slots that UA has?

The slots may be for sale. The authority to London was sold to Delta Airlines.
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

LH417AF025

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:38 pm

so this does mean that UA does not lose an LHR landing slot right? they just sold the authority to fly NYC-LON.... not NYC-LHR??

commavia

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:39 pm

My, how times change.

STT757

I'd almost think UA is setting themselves up (ORD, SFO, and the Pacific) to be acquired by DL

The long rumored CO/UAL merger is looking a little bit more plausible today.

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 16):
The next question is with the dropping of the JFK-NRT/LHR will UAL continue its JFK service or consolidate the IAD service to LGA, and the LAX/SFO Trans-Con P.S. product to Newark?

I think UAL might test the waters by introducing P.S. to Newark, if their Corporate clients accept it it would make sense to consolidate all of their NYC operations at EWR and LGA.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Alitalia744

They keep the LHR slot but lose the authority to fly from New York City to London (Any airport).

They can fly an additional flight from one of their key gateways where they have the authority but it cannot be from NYC.

DLPMMM

A quick look at Travelocity shows no airlines flying JFK-LGW non-stop. With no competition on the route, this might be a very smart move by DL.

[Edited 2006-07-28 16:54:08]

tinpusher007

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:42 pm

Quoting AwysBSB (Reply 23):
IAD serves NYC for sure!
There are many passengers of Star Alliance flying to/from NYC and the connection options they have are IAD, YYZ, FRA, CPH and so on.

Star Alliance pax aside, that is a relatively small number of pax compared to the local NYC market that is served by JFK, EWR, LGA and to a lesser extent HPN or ISP. What you are effectively saying is that IAD, YYZ, FRA and CPH also serve NYC. By your own admission, these are pax that have to connect through other airports including IAD to get to NYC because the Star Alliance has no "hometown" player in NYC, save for US at LGA. Of course, IAD has flights to NYC, but so does just about every other airport in the country. AA, DL, CO, US and B6 hold down the NYC market very well with their respective operations. Very few pax go to IAD as an alternative to NYC; you need only look at limited number of seats on RJ's that UA flies between to two cities.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

MalpensaSFO

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:45 pm

Is the 3rd daily SFO-LHR flight coming back? Or is UAL going to sell the slot to another airline?
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

RayChuang

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:52 pm

I think UA is phasing out JFK-LHR because there is already huge competition on this route with AA, BA, and VS flying multiple flights per day on this route anyway. I believe that UA wants to concentrate more on their profitable flights in and out of JFK, notably the USA transcon flights with their p.s. service and the flights to South America.

Also, this move could lead to maybe more ANA (NH) flights between JFK and NRT using the Star Alliance codesharing. We could see 2x per day flights between JFK and NRT, one with a 747-400 and one with a 777-300ER.

sshank

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:56 pm

Clearly not some one who places any value on time. This can only mean UA is totally walking out of the NYC market. Sad, but likley a prudent move - they are just not competitive here. It appears that they have decided that their salvation lies in Asia.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 11):

Yeah, but which business traveller in her right mind will take a connecting flight from New York to London Heathrow when she has a choice of about 20 nonstops daily?

roseflyer

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:57 pm

sad day for UA in NYC and further fuels UA's need for a merger. You can't be a global carrier and not compete in NYC. But you also can't continue to lose money - something UA has done in NYC for a long time. And the bleeding is only getting worse as DL expands at JFK.

Trying to be everything everywhere is not the most successful strategy for an airline. Gordon Bethune admitted that Continental tried to be too much of an airline and that partially why they went into bankruptcy twice. Dumping both the Greensboro and Denver hubs made that airline profitable again along with a ton of other things. If UA can't make money out of New York, then they don't need to serve the airport from high prestige international destinations. IAD, ORD, SFO, DEN, and LAX are all strong markets that UA has a foothold in and can do well in. While it would be nice to have UA have a big presence in New York as well, it hasn't worked from either EWR or JFK for them as far as international service goes.

Why on earth would anyone really want to fly to LGW from JFK when they have LHR.

There are definitely enough people that want to fly out of Gatwick to fill up a Delta 767. The 10 miles surrounding Gatwick is probably wealthier and serves a bigger population than some of the other destinations in Europe that Delta flies to.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

UAL777UK

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:01 am

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 34):
They keep the LHR slot but lose the authority to fly from New York City to London (Any airport).

They can fly an additional flight from one of their key gateways where they have the authority but it cannot be from NYC.

I dont think they will sell it, i think I am right in saying they leased a slot to VS until such time as they wanted it. I would not be surprised if they did likewise with this one as well, and keep it on the back burner for DEN when open skies are agreed.

The above aside, they do very well on LHR - SFO so you never know, we might see a third daily there??

swank300

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:04 am

I'm sad too! I thought they would work something out to keep operating both those flights! But, bottom line is: United NEEDS to make money. Also guys, don't forget that United is also expanding its Asian operations from SFO, so its not a total loss for them.

jrlander

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:05 am

Continental seems to do perfectly well on EWR-LGW. With the increasing domestic feed at JFK, plus the O&D, plus the number of loyal Delta FF's in NYC, I would expect Delta to do just fine on JFK-LGW. No doubt, they will move it to LHR if they can after Bermuda 2 is ended. They already have an agreement, as a Skyteam carrier, to use T4 at LHR with other Skyteam carriers. If that happens- I would expect JFK-LHR to become a several times per day route.

RayChuang

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:08 am

Quoting Swank300 (Reply 42):
Also guys, don't forget that United is also expanding its Asian operations from SFO, so its not a total loss for them.

I think UA is using its SFO hub go step up transpacific service, which is still quite profitable for the airline. That's why UA has kept most of its 747-400 and 777-200ER fleet.

tinpusher007

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:11 am

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 38):
I believe that UA wants to concentrate more on their profitable flights in and out of JFK, notably the USA transcon flights with their p.s. service and the flights to South America.

UA JFK-South America service ended a long time ago. They are strictly UAX to IAD and p.s. to LAX and SFO; not even DEN or ORD is served from JFK by UA.

rjpieces

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:13 am

Sad news...No more United widebodies at JFK, wow.

Is there any plan for UA leave T7 of JFK?

I wonder now...They could probablty consolidate their JFK operation in 2 or 3 gates as opposed to the 6 they currently have. Seeing that BA's side of T7 is swamped, I imagine that BA will move faster with the project to make all of the gates in T7 common-use.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

worldtraveler

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:14 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 40):
Trying to be everything everywhere is not the most successful strategy for an airline.

DL is delivering on being the number one airline across the Atlantic (which is not just to Europe) and also to be the #1 carrier in the NY state part of NYC. Those are very attainable goals and well within DL’s resources to attain.

UA is retrenching to the Asian markets that have long sustained them. Remember though that they have to cancel routes in order to add to Asia because they have absolutely no growth aircraft. Yes, it is prudent for UA to cut out unprofitable routes but becoming a strong player solely to Asia is not exactly what anyone would expect from what was once the world’s largest airline.

MalpensaSFO

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:16 am

Trying to be everything everywhere is not the most successful strategy for an airline.

Then Continental Airlines needs to do what?

The 10 miles surrounding Gatwick is probably wealthier and serves a bigger population than some of the other destinations in Europe that Delta flies to.

Gatwick serves more destinations than most people would think..

Astraeus

Accra, Alghero, Aqaba, Aswan, Banjul, Bastia, Bergen, Bodrum, Brescia, Calvi, Chambery, Corfu, Deer Lake, Dubrovnik, El Alamein, Fagernes, Freetown, Geneva, Hassi Messaoud, Heraklion, Kalamata, Kefallinia, Kuusamo, Las Palmos, Malabo, Malaga, Murcia, Murmansk, Mykonos, Olbia, Paphos, Preveza, Salzburg, Sharm El Sheikh, Split, Taba, Tenerife, Thira, Uralsk, Volos, Zadar, Zakinthos

British Airways

Aberdeen, Algiers, Amsterdam, Antigua, Atlanta, Athens, Barbados, Barcelona, Bari, Bermuda, Bologna, Bordeaux, Bucharest, Budapest, Cagliari, Catania, Dalaman, Dallas/Fort Worth, Dublin, Dubrovnik, Edinburgh, Fez, Faro, Frankfurt, Geneva, Genoa, Glasgow, Grenada, Grenoble, Hanover, Hassi Messaoud, Houston-Intercontinental, Izmir, Jersey, Kiev, Kingston, Krakow, Luxembourg, Madrid, Manchester, Marseille, Munich, Nantes, Naples, Newcastle, Nice, Orlando, Pisa, Prague, Prishtinë, Reykjavik, Rhodes, Riga, Rome-Fiumicino, Salzburg (Starts December 1), St Lucia, Sofia, Split, Tampa, Tirana, Tenerife, Thessaloniki, Tobago, Toulouse, Turin, Varna, Venice, Verona, Vilnius, Zurich

British Airways operated by GB Airways

Agadir, Alicante, Almeria, Arrecife, Bastia, Faro, Fez, Funchal, Geneva, Gibraltar, Heraklion, Ibiza, Innsbruck, Las Palmas, Lyon, Mahon, Malaga, Malta, Marrakesh, Montpellier, Murcia, Nantes, Oporto, Palma de Mallorca, Paphos, Porto, Salzburg, Seville, Sharm el Sheikh, Tenerife, Tunis, Turin, Valencia

First Choice Airways

Agadir, Alicante, Almeria, Antayla, Antigua, Arrecife, Aruba, Banjul, Barcelona, Bodrum, Burgas, Cancún, Chania, Corfu, Dalaman, Dubrovnik, Faro, Fuerteventura, Funchal, Geneva, Goa, Grenoble, Heraklion, Holguin, Ibiza, Innsbruck, Kalamata, Kefallinia, Kittala, Kos, Krakow, Larnaca, Las Palmas, Mahon, Malaga, Male, Malta, Mitilini, Monastir, Naples, Palma de Mallorca, Paphos, Porlamar, Preveza, Puerto Plata, Punta Cana, Porlamar, Puerto Plata, Reus, Rhodes, Salzburg, Sanford, Sharm el Sheikh, St. Thomas, Skiathos, Taba, Tel Aviv, Tenerife, Thessaloniki, Toulouse, Turin, Varadero, Varna, Verona, Volos, Zadar, Zakynthos

Flyjet

Amritsar, Corfu, Heraklion, Larnaca, Luxor, Mahon, Paphos, Sharm el Sheikh, Tenerife

easyJet

Alicante, Almeria, Amsterdam, Athens, Barcelona, Belfast, Berlin-Schönefeld, Budapest, Cologne/Bonn, Connaught, Cork, Edinburgh, Faro, Geneva, Glasgow [Starts October 2], Ibiza, Inverness, Knock, Madrid, Malaga, Marrakech, Marseille, Milan-Linate, Nice, Olbia, Palma de Mallorca, Prague, Rome-Ciampino, Shannon, Split, Toulouse, Valencia, Venice

Excel Airways

Alicante, Almeria, Antalya, Arrecife, Athens, Barbados, Bastia, Bodrum, Brescia, Cagliari, Catania, Chania, Corfu, Dalaman, Faro, Fuerteventura, Funchal, Goa, Grenada, Heralion, Holguin, Hurghada, Kalamata, Kavala, Kefallina, Kos, Larnaca, Las Palmas, Lemnos, Mahon, Malaga, Malta, Marsa Alam, Mitilini, Mombasa, Murcia, Mykonos, Naples, Orlando, Palma, Paphos, Preveza, Puerto Plata, Pula, Punta Cana, Rhodes, Samos, Santa Clara, Sharm el Sheikh, Skiathos, St. Kitts, Taba, Tenerife, Thessaloniki, Thira, Tobago, Zakinthos

Monarch Airlines

Accra, Alicante, Almeria, Antalya, Arrecife, Banjul, Barbados, Barcelona, Bodrum, Calgary, Cancún, Chania, Colombo, Corfu, Delhi, Faro, Fuerteventura, Geneva, Goa, Grenoble, Heraklion, Ibiza, Innsbruck, Kos, Lanzarote, Las Palmas, Luxor, Lyon, Mahon, Malaga, Male, Mombasa, Naples, Palma, Paphos, Preveza, Puerto Plata, Salzburg, Sanford, Sharm el Sheikh, Skiathos, Sofia, Taba, Tenerife, Toulouse, Trivandrum, Turin, Venice, Verona, Zacinthos

MyTravel Airways

Agadir, Almeria, Arrecife, Bodrum, Cancun, Corfu, Dalaman, Fuerteventura, Gerona, Goa, Heraklion, Hurghada, Ibiza, Kefallinia, Kos, La Romana, Las Palmas, Mahon, Malaga, Male, Monastir, Montego Bay, Palma, Paphos, Puerto Plata, Reus, Rhodes, Salzburg, Sanford, Tenerife, Toronto, Turin, Vancouver, Zakinthos

Thomsonfly

Accra, Alghero, Alicante, Almeria, Antalya, Arrecife, Barbados, Bodrum, Bergas, Cancun, Catania, Chania, Corfu, Dalaman, Dubrovnik, Enontekio, Faro, Fuerteventura, Funchal, Geneva, Gerona, Goa, Heraklion, Hurghada, Ibiza, Kavala, Kefallinia, Kos, Larnaca, Las Palmas, Luxor, Mahon, Malaga, Malta, Mombasa, Monastir, Montego Bay, Palma de Mallorca, Paphos, Plovdiv, Puerto Plata, Punta Cana, Rovaniemi, Salzburg, Sanford, Santa Cruz, Sharm el Sheikh, Sofia, Tenerife, Toulouse, Turin, Varadero, Verona

Thomas Cook Airlines

Agadir, Alicante, Almeria, Antalya, Arrecife, Banjul, Barbados, Bodrum, Burgas, Cancun, Corfu, Cunagua, Dalaman, Faro, Fuerteventura, Funchal, Geneva, Halifax, Heraklion, Ibiza, Innsbruck, Izmir, Kalamata, Kefallinia, Kos, Larnaca, Las Palmas, Lyon, Mahon, Malaga, Malta, Monastir, Montréal, Munich, Ottawa, Palma de Mallorca, Paphos, Plovdiv, Preveza, Puerto Plata, Quebec City, Reus, Rhodes, Salzburg, Sanford, Sharm el Sheikh, Skiathos, Sofia, Split, Tenerife, Thessaloniki, Thira, Toronto, Toulouse, Turin, Vancouver, Varadero, Verona, Zakinthos
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

tinpusher007

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:20 am

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 47):
UA is retrenching to the Asian markets that have long sustained them. Remember though that they have to cancel routes in order to add to Asia because they have absolutely no growth aircraft. Yes, it is prudent for UA to cut out unprofitable routes but becoming a strong player solely to Asia is not exactly what anyone would expect from what was once the world’s largest airline.

This is true. It always seemed to make more sense to me for UA to focus its northeast strength on IAD. I was at a loss to understand why they didn't fly IAD-NRT with their own metal, even with ANA on the route. I think it would be wise for UA to bolster its leading position at IAD much the same way DL is doing at JFK.

[Edited 2006-07-28 17:21:23]