Pe@rson
Topic Author

EXT-GCI-JER And A Few Questions Re BE

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:48 pm

I have just booked EXT-GCI-JER with BE (#311) on the 2nd November on the DH4.

The total cost, including tax and a £1 card fee, was £32.98. I won't be taking a bag over 10 K.G., so I won't have to pay £2.50 (or £5 at the airport).

BE offers you the option of reserving your seat, so it's for peace-of-mind, particularly if travelling with a family, for £5 each way - or, for more comfort, an extra legroom seat for £15 one-way. Have you taken advantage of either option? If so, did you think it was worth it? Do you have any idea how much revenue is generated by this method?

Cheers.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Capital146

RE: EXT-GCI-JER And A Few Questions Re BE

Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:00 am

Have never taken advantage of the reserved seating charges with BE. In my experience, if you turn up at check-in 1.5 hours before the flight then you can always get a window seat for free without a problem. No need for the extra expense.

The legroom on the DH4's for BE seems quite generous, so no need worry about bagging an extra legroom exit seat, such as for a short EXT-Channel Islands flight, except for people well over 6ft tall.

Enjoy the DH4, I really like them!  Smile
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

kaitak

Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:20 am

Hi Pe@rson, the EXT-GCI flight is only 96mi - around 20 minutes or so; then it's up to around 2,000' for the 5 minute flight to Jersey. That'll be a nice trip.

One word of warning: a friend told me that online check-in with Flybe is to be avoided: they assign you a seat (no choice), which on a 146 is often a middle seat.

Anyway, have a good trip; the Dash8-400 is certainly a nice aircraft, but I'm looking forward the EMB 195 - first delivery next month!

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:27 pm

Thanks.  Smile

I have flown EXT-JER before; the flight took about 25 minutes on the DH3.

My forthcoming EXT-GCI-JER flight will be my first - and long-awaited - flight aboard the DH4.

Does JER-GCI only take 5 minutes and is flown at just 2000 feet? Cool.  Big grin
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

kaitak

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:34 pm

It's actually so short that the runways in use influence the time taken, in that if you take off from 09 at GCI and land on 09 at GCI, it's far more direct, but it's really only 2-3 minutes in the difference. The flight level is dependant on traffic; the Aurigny Trislanders usually operate at 1,000'. It's quite a nice crossing on a good day.

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:53 pm

Thanks.

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 4):
It's quite a nice crossing on a good day.

It should be interesting on a November day. Shame it won't be on a tiny machine - I'd love the swaying, the battering.  Wink