747hogg
Topic Author

"Acts Of War" Will Not Cover Airframes.. Any Lost?

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:58 am

Saw the big ones falling on the airport at from the Isreal jets, and I was wondering if any passenger airframes had been hit yet. I understand insurance will not cover these losses.

DAYflyer

RE: "Acts Of War" Will Not Cover Airframes.. Any Lost?

Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:04 am

Not yet that I know of but there were several in Afghanistan and Iraq that were wiped out.
One Nation Under God

roseflyer

Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:46 am

Quoting 747hogg (Thread starter):
I understand insurance will not cover these losses.

It depends on what insurance is involved. BA had a 747-200 destroyed in Kuwait due to an act of war fifteen years ago and I believe it was covered under insurance. The more you pay, the more you get is the general principle when it comes to insurance.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

star_world

Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:33 am

There was a significant attack on Colombo airport in Sri Lanka several years ago, destroying some of the Sri Lankan Airlines' aircraft and damaging others...

lincoln

Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:39 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 2):
It depends on what insurance is involved.

Heck, my auto insurance even specifically includes coverage for damage caused by missles due to acts of war or otherwise*, among other strange things.

I'm sure if an airline wanted coverage, they could get it -- maybe at a higher cost, but it could be done.

Lincoln

* - If my car gets hit by a missle, I would sure as heck consider it an "act of war"
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

aad665

Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:43 am

Hi,

But the only problem is Israel has not declared any war!

Insurrance point of vue...it is not a war.

aad665

csavel

RE: "Acts Of War" Will Not Cover Airframes.. Any L

Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:45 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 2):
It depends on what insurance is involved.

I would assume that it also has to do with the airline and the region that it flies to often. I.E. an airline in the volatile Middle East (especially, say, El Al, MEA) may have insurance that doesn't cover it but BA may, and for all I know after the first Gulf War BA may have insurance that doesn't cover acts of war if the plane happens to be in a range of countries. For all I know, after 9/11 the US may be a place where act of war insurance is null and void.

Which I guess means it *does* depend on what insurance is involved.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

lincoln

Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:59 am

Quoting Aad665 (Reply 5):
Hi,

But the only problem is Israel has not declared any war!

Insurrance point of vue...it is not a war.

This is one of those subtle nuances of the English language...there is a difference between an "Act of War", which is a term of art and a declared war.

I can't find a definition of "act of war" on the Internet, let alone a good one, but my general understanding is that an "Act of War" is essentially any hostile act that would be expected during a war. (Someone please give a better definition...Even I think this could be a bit clearer)

Thus, even though Isreal may not have taken the formal step of declaring war, they are bombing things and generally conducting themselves as if it was a war -- so, for example, intentonally bombing an airports runways would be considered an "Act of War"

I'm sure someone can clean this up and make it more clear, but that's the gist of it.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

melpax

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:18 pm

I've checked my car insurance policy & it states;

We will not pay your claim if;

Damage caused by any war, or warlike operations (whether war declared or not) rebellion, civil war, revolution, insurrection, military or usurped power, invasion, act of foriegn enemy or popular or military rising,

Doubt any of this would happen here in Oz though...........

But, as stated previously, most airlines would have insurance arranged for these circumstances - too much money at risk. And they would have more clout in arranging insurance than Joe Blow insuring his Toyota.

[Edited 2006-07-29 09:24:09]
Essendon - Whatever it takes......