Matt D
Topic Author

DC Air?

Sat Jun 24, 2000 11:20 am

What is this smoke screen about the new airline, DC Air that supposedly would come out of the UA/US deal? There seems to be so much emphasis on it being a "black owned" airline. Why is that such a big deal? I thought that the Black community is trying to harmonize racial relations, yet making an issue out of who owns an airline is a racial issue as far as I'm concerned. What's the deal here?

copper1

RE: DC Air?

Sat Jun 24, 2000 11:27 am

I would like to think that we have gotten to the point where it doesn't matter what colour a person's skin is or what gender they are. To me, the most important thing is that whoever is running the show, be they black, female,physically challenged or whatever, is the best qualified person for the job.

Politcal agendas have no place in private industry and are all to intrusive in government appointments, no matter what country you live in.

I wish the folks at DC Air the best.

Copper1

Ryefly

Sat Jun 24, 2000 3:01 pm

I don't really get it either. They will have some big shoes to follow. I wish them the best, but as you said, I think its just a smoke screen. In my opinion, this will last a few years before the new United comes back in and puts them out of business. Its probably already arranged. I know that sounds terrible, but you know how the airline industry is sometimes.

UALfa@jfk

Sat Jun 24, 2000 7:37 pm

IMPORTANT POINT: Keep in mind that it is NOT the black community trumpeting DC Air as being "black owned." Recall that when you first heard about the UA/US/DCAir news story, almost all the reporters, press conference staff, and anchor people you learned the details from were white. Were they not? In other words, it is purely the press and news media putting the emphasis on the "black owned" issue rather than your everyday black citizens. Most black Americans I know really could care less about all of these airline mergers, acquisitions, and start ups, regardless of who owns what.

I'm not clear on what the media's motive is for reporting this event in this way. But regadless of what the media's motive is, I think ordinary citizens who are acknowledging DCAir as "the first Black owned airline" are only doing so as a source of pride as well as just acknowledging it as a milestone of sorts. None of this has anything to do with race relations or racial discord. Similarly, if Robert Johnson was a woman (a white woman), DCAir would be trumpeted as the "first woman-owned" airline which would not have anything to do with sexism or gender relations. --It's just a milestone. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Anyway, I wish DC Air the best too, but I think everyone knows it's all a smokescreen. I'm sure even the business-savvy Robert Johnson knows it himself.

My first advice to him is 1) Change the name of the airline since DCAir sounds ultra corny and silly, and 2) DO NOT waste time doing any long term planning for growth.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos