InTheSky74

B6 To End BUR-MCO Service...

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:32 pm

Well, only 1 month into the new service, JetBlue has decided to cancel it's BUR-MCO and BUR-LAS service effective in November.

I guess it didn't work out as much as they had liked.

Rob

EWRCabincrew

RE: B6 To End BUR-MCO Service...

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:38 pm

How can thirty days of a new route be judged as poor indications? Although BUR-MCO is an interesting city pairing.
You can't cure stupid

B6FA4ever

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:41 pm

its actually Nov. 13th we end the service. its actually really dissappointing that we end this service. i would've thought the BUR-MCO flight would've done well at least w/ the execs w/ Disney and all w/ the direct flights between Orlando and LA. oh well...wonder where we'll send the plane to instead.

still this has me pondering...why are we already deciding to discontinue the service after only 1 month. hell, JFK-SDQ lasted quite a bit longer before being cut. same w/ IAD-SMF.

~B6FA4ever

jetBlueNYFL

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:45 pm

Why are the BUR-MCO and BUR-LAS flights still loaded in the system and able to be booked though 1/8/07???

Maybe the yields were poor on the transcon with these fuel prices. Also, BUR-LAS is tough with only 1 flight a day and WN operating this route frequently. Is it possible that these will even be seasonal summer routes??

I wonder when BUF-MCO will be official.
jetBlue...Bringing Humanity Back To Air Travel!

JetBlueAUS

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:48 pm

Oh well, some routes just aren't meant to be. Though, I am very surprised that they are cancelling these routes just a month after they started service. I have always been kind of worried and had second thoughts when JetBlue first announced the BUR-MCO route. I thought BUR-LAS was going to do decently well, but I guess not. Oh well, the cancellation of these routes is for the greater good of the company. Why keep a route that isn't profitable? JetBlue did what had to be done.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

B6FA4ever

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:50 pm

Quoting JetBlueNYFL (Reply 3):
Why are the BUR-MCO and BUR-LAS flights still loaded in the system and able to be booked though 1/8/07???

probably just hasn't been removed from the reservation system yet.

~B6FA4ever

JetBlueAUS

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:52 pm

Quoting JetBlueNYFL (Reply 3):
Maybe the yields were poor on the transcon with these fuel prices. Also, BUR-LAS is tough with only 1 flight a day and WN operating this route frequently. Is it possible that these will even be seasonal summer routes??

I doubt it. Though, I could be wrong. Why would they just operate a flight for a month? It just doesn't make sense for them to do that.  Smile
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

ont 737

Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:13 pm

The fate of BUR-LAS is probably tied to BUR-MCO. Flight 349 arrives in BUR at 1750 and that aircraft then does a BUR-LAS-BUR turn before it RONs in BUR. Without the BUR-MCO flight there is no plane to do the LAS turn without adjusting the BUR-JFK schedule.

ikramerica

Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:33 pm

November begins the off-peak period in MCO up until Christmas. From Nov 1 through the beginning of Christmas week, Disneyworld hotels have their lowest rates of the year due to this.

You might see B6 restart this route for the peak season (spring break months).

As for the LAS run, it was dependent on the MCO flight. Being once a day, it was pointless.

Either they need to get a jet out here to do LAS-BUR shuttles back and forth, or dump the idea.

Either way, they'd be better off running the MCO-BUR flight at 9:30AM EST, arriving BUR at 11:50AM, then depart BUR 12:45PM and arrive MCO 8:30PM. That way there's no RON at BUR.

One problem with the schedule of the current flight is that it eats up a whole day of business by leaving at 8AM and arriving 3:45PM in MCO. Leaving after noon allows for all the morning meetings and calls to be made before taking the flight. And arriving in BUR before noon allows for afternoon meetings. While the timing was great for vacationers, it wasn't so hot for business people.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

MAH4546

Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:47 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 8):
November begins the off-peak period in MCO up until Christmas. From Nov 1 through the beginning of Christmas week, Disneyworld hotels have their lowest rates of the year due to this.

There is no off-peak for business travel, which the flight was aimed at. Also, Disney is very empty between after Thanksgiving and about a week or two before Christamas, but early November isn't that slow.

I wonder what this means for the planned FLL-BUR, which was going to start around Jan07.
a.

InTheSky74

Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:54 pm

Well, I think that BUR-FLL would be a red-eye which is using a plane that normally would sit on the ground in FLL.

The MCO-BUR service were both daytime flights (both flying at the same time) that actually utilized 2 aircraft....

Rob

dutchjet

Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:02 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 1):
How can thirty days of a new route be judged as poor indications? Although BUR-MCO is an interesting city pairing.

I agree - that was very fast?

Quoting B6FA4ever (Reply 2):
its actually really dissappointing that we end this service. i would've thought the BUR-MCO flight would've done well at least w/ the execs w/ Disney a

Dont the Disney execs fly in F class on legacy carriers......and doesnt Disney have contracts with the network carriers, I dont really think JetBlue expected the Disney men and women to fly a LCC in Y class.

Quoting ONT 737 (Reply 7):
The fate of BUR-LAS is probably tied to BUR-MCO. Flight 349 arrives in BUR at 1750 and that aircraft then does a BUR-LAS-BUR turn before it RONs in BUR. Without the BUR-MCO flight there is no plane to do the LAS turn without adjusting the BUR-JFK schedule.

That makes sense. And one flight in a market like this rarely works.

------

Again, JetBlue is having some growing pains.......and the airline seems to run into trouble when it attempts expansion outside of its JFK homebase. That JetBlue is dumping these routes is certainly not the end of the world....but its clear that JetBlue will have challenges putting all of those new A320s and E190s to work....on profitable routes.

rjpieces

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:19 pm

I'm not pleased to hear this...It had been mentioned that B6 was hoping for BUR to become a growth/focus city...If their first two new cities from BUR were dropped this fast, it doesn't bode well.

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 11):
but its clear that JetBlue will have challenges putting all of those new A320s and E190s to work....on profitable routes.

Indeed, but it's good to see that they are on top of the situation and redeploying assets when necessary...But at the same time, it does take time to develop markets.

I wonder if jetBlue regrets the fact that they have hundreds of aircraft deliveries ahead of them...
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

jetbluefan1

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:39 pm

This is so odd. Definitely didn't see this once coming. Granted, BUR-MCO hasn't seen the greatest LF's this past month, but usually Thursdays and Fridays do okay. BUR-LAS hasn't been that full either, but you would think that they'd give it some more time to develop.

Methinks that JetBlue has some other plan for BUR. The JFK-BUR flights perform absolutely amazingly, so maybe they're planning on IAD and BOS flights as well. Keep in mind that BUR has only so much space for expansion, so maybe they are eyeing some other cities that will be more profitable.

Though this still remains very odd...

JetBluefan1

FA4B6

Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:58 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 12):
Indeed, but it's good to see that they are on top of the situation and redeploying assets when necessary...But at the same time, it does take time to develop markets.

This is my thought exactly. The company I worked for previously had the same syndrome. Having been used to extreme success, if a new product didnt instantly turned to gold, it wasnt nurtured or advertised more, it was removed from the stores. I think sometimes JetBlue might suffer the same fate.
"Leap! And the net will appear."

MalpensaSFO

Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:15 pm

Quoting Inthesky74 (Thread starter):
JetBlue has decided to cancel it's BUR-MCO and BUR-LAS

And the response from the JetBlue people will be...

They needed the aircraft on a high yielding route?
They needed the aircraft to increase capacity on another route?
They need to return the aircraft to reduce costs?

BUR-MCO FAILED
BUR-LAS FAILED
SMF-IAD FAILED
EWR-SJU FAILED
JFK-SDQ FAILED
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

BigGSFO

Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:20 pm

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 15):
BUR-MCO FAILED
BUR-LAS FAILED
SMF-IAD FAILED
EWR-SJU FAILED
JFK-SDQ FAILED

Add the ATL experiment.

FA4B6

Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:24 pm

Spin baby, spin!

spin   spin   spin 

Yes, JetBlue has "failed" at certain routes, but honestly, what airline hasn't? I feel more comfortable working for an airline that recognizes and changes mistakes then one that keeps a failing route for prestige, ego, or competition.
"Leap! And the net will appear."

texan

Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:46 pm

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 11):
Dont the Disney execs fly in F class on legacy carriers

Disney has a fleet of corporate jets they use to shuttle their execs around. When that is not available they usually charter.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

jetbluefan1

Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:51 pm

BUR-MCO FAILED
BUR-LAS FAILED
SMF-IAD FAILED
EWR-SJU FAILED
JFK-SDQ FAILED

Yep...all these routes failed (as well as ATL). No exuses, but instead the reality that these two new routes were miscalculated and, instead, it's better to deploy assets elsewhere where they'll be more useful (see: JFK, BOS).

But, quite honestly, in today's day and age it's important that airlines drop unprofitable routes. This has become more common at all U.S airlines over the last few years; it's nice to see that airlines are being profit-driven instead of market share-driven.

I wonder what JetBlue's future plans for BUR are now. As I stated before, the BUR-JFK flights are doing amazingly and are very profitable for B6. I would assume that BOS and IAD could bring some really nice profits in as well.

Perhaps it's better to stick to the business crowd for BUR flights. Note how both MCO and LAS are mostly leisure destinations.

JetBluefan1

Coronado990

Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:03 am

I think B6 should just send that flight to MCO-SAN. The O&D is around 400 PAX a day with no non-stop service.
Uncle SAN at your service!

deltairlines

Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:14 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 18):
Disney has a fleet of corporate jets they use to shuttle their execs around. When that is not available they usually charter.

Texan

I've also been told that UA's MCO-LAX flight has a good amount of full-fare paying Disney folks on board...reason that it's a mainline A320 instead of a A320 from Theodore (RAR!) is Disney wants those First Class seats on that route (and is willing to ante up the money for it). I've been told that UA is the preferred carrier for Disney employees, so it is a plausible reason.

JetBlueAUS

Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:21 am

BUR-MCO FAILED
BUR-LAS FAILED
SMF-IAD FAILED
EWR-SJU FAILED
JFK-SDQ FAILED

Dude, didn't we go through this in some other thread? JetBlue makes mistakes, just like all airlines. They are not the "perfect" airline, and they are going to make mistakes. It is what business do, they drop or change things that are unprofitable for them. Keep in mind that with all the routes/new cities JetBlue starts a year. That rarely any of them have been "discontinued." JetBlue has a great Route Planning team, I'm sure. They make miscalculations just like anyone.

jetBlueNYFL

Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:21 am

BUR-MCO FAILED
BUR-LAS FAILED
SMF-IAD FAILED
EWR-SJU FAILED
JFK-SDQ FAILED

I'm too lazy to go and research this, but would someone care to post the dropped routes from all the other airlines in this country? I don't think there would be enough gigabites in cyberspace to accomodate such a list! MalpensaSFO, what would be the purpose to continue flying an UNPROFITABLE route!?!?!?!?

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 16):
Add the ATL experiment.

Add DL's Song experiment...a much bigger failure than jetBlue failing at ATL!

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 17):
Yes, JetBlue has "failed" at certain routes, but honestly, what airline hasn't? I feel more comfortable working for an airline that recognizes and changes mistakes then one that keeps a failing route for prestige, ego, or competition.

checkmark  Couldn't agree more!

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 19):
Perhaps it's better to stick to the business crowd for BUR flights. Note how both MCO and LAS are mostly leisure destinations.

I agree that jetBlue should stick to the business crowd for BUR flights, but on MCO and LAS being mostly leisure destinations...yes AND no. Both cities actually have fairly large convention centers...I think LAS is #1 in the country for business conferenes?

Quoting Coronado990 (Reply 20):
I think B6 should just send that flight to MCO-SAN. The O&D is around 400 PAX a day with no non-stop service.

Wow, I had no idea the O&D traffic between MCO and SAN was so high! If that really is the case, B6 can easily support 2x A320 daily between these two cities! David and Dave, if you're reading this...please look into that route!

JetBlueAUS

Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:33 am

Quoting JetBlueNYFL (Reply 24):
Add DL's Song experiment...a much bigger failure than jetBlue failing at ATL!

Malpensa, keep in mind that this was a failed business. Not a failed route, or city.  Wink

Wow, I had no idea the O&D traffic between MCO and SAN was so high! If that really is the case, B6 can easily support 2x A320 daily between these two cities! David and Dave, if you're reading this...please look into that route!

That's great! Does JetBlue still have that suggest a city? If so, perhaps someone should suggest this. It sounds like it could do wonders for JetBlue.  Smile

MalpensaSFO

Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:39 am

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 25):
Malpensa, keep in mind that this was a failed business. Not a failed route, or city.

Song, was not dropped as you would like to use a Jet Blue juice drinkers spin on things. Song was successful enough that Delta Airlines has decided to retrench the Song product in the Delta Airlines domestic fleet/service program.. Ah the blue juice drinkers cant stand it when they lose another route..

I'm too lazy to go and research this, but would someone care to post the dropped routes from all the other airlines in this country?

Compare the number of flights B6 operates to Delta or American, look at the number of routes dropped, and you will see that B6 is not better than any other airline out there...

MalpensaSFO, what would be the purpose to continue flying an UNPROFITABLE route!?!?!?!?

Ask Jet Blue, they are becoming known for it..

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 23):
That rarely any of them have been "discontinued."

6 routes dropped in one year.. 10 routes added... not a good equation

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 23):
JetBlue has a great Route Planning team, I'm sure.

Your sure, the flying public is not..
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

jetBlueNYFL

Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:49 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 26):
Song, was not dropped as you would like to use a Jet Blue juice drinkers spin on things. Song was successful enough that Delta Airlines has decided to retrench the Song product in the Delta Airlines domestic fleet/service program.. Ah the blue juice drinkers cant stand it when they lose another route..

bla...bla...bla...bla...bla!
Song WAS dropped. Anyway you try and twist it, they were simply NOT succeseful. If Song was profitable, they would have continued to operate under the Song brand...especially with DL struggling in bankruptcy right now. Instead, they spent hundreds of millions of dollars not once but twice - 1. creating Song, and 2. closing Song 3 years later...painting planes, retrofitting the cabins, etc.

You also contradict your statement because the Song product being retrenched into Delta Air Lines just shows how seriously Delta took jetBlue's effect on their business. I think it's great that DL finally decided to add some value and class to it's flights (over 1700 miles) but look at it this way...there would have been no Song or no improved Delta if jetBlue did not exist. It's that simple.

Us jetBlue fans will admit that jetBlue failed on certain routes. The funny thing, however, is that you Delta people won't admit that Song was a failure. No way did that skittles airline profit with 757s and mainline legacy costs in a LCC environment with very average to just below average LF's and the LOWEST airfares...undercutting jetBlue in many cases.

You're numbers are WAYYYY off!

MalpensaSFO

Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:54 am

Quoting JetBlueNYFL (Reply 27):
Song WAS dropped. Anyway you try and twist it, they were simply NOT succeseful.

Educate yourself before you post something false again..

You also contradict your statement because the Song product being retrenched into Delta Air Lines just shows how seriously Delta took jetBlue's effect on their business.

Ha Ha...

That is rich, however totally false... Read Delta Airlines press releases about Song and the new domestic fleet/cabin programmes...

To much blue juice can make a man from Utah and his airline go Buh-Bye!

Us jetBlue fans will admit that jetBlue failed on certain routes. The funny thing, however, is that you Delta people won't admit that Song was a failure.

Do yourself a favor and read the newspapers...

You're numbers are WAYYYY off!

A few digits... Show us what JetBlue dropped/Show us what Jet Blue added/Show us what Jet Blue reduced...

Same thing, year later...
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

MAH4546

Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:08 am

Guys, ignore MalpensaSFO who is nothing more than a troll that is trying to annoy you guys. By responding to him, you are doing nothing more than making him happy. A quick search of his past posts (as either MalpensaSFO, Kahala777, or Lhr001) and you will actually discover threads in which he supports jetBlue, and talks about how they have successfully eroded market share for others.
a.

jetbluefan1

Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:14 am

Wait...what?

OAK/LGB-ATL - 2003
JFK-SDQ - 2005
EWR-SJU - 2006
IAD-SMF - 2006
LAS/MCO-BUR - 2006

Four routes will be dropped in 2006. 14 routes have been launched this year (if I counted right) from Jan-July, not to mention the rest of the months.

In any case, this really shows that JetBlue is committed to sustaining profitability and will cut underperforming routes in order to do so. As I stated before, most US airlines have started doing this and it's great; the industry should be focussed on profits, not market share. If a route doesn't work, cut it. Simple as that.

JetBluefan1

Coronado990

Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:20 am

Here are the number from last quarter 2005...

"Orlando/Kissimmee, FL" to "San Diego, CA" 2148.00 387.60 199.65 "DL" 24.25 196.31 "WN" 19.60 176.18

Bottom line is 387 passengers a day O&D, Delta has the largest share at 24.25% and Southwest share is 19.60% just so David and Dave know what they are up against.
Uncle SAN at your service!

jetbluefan1

Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:41 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 29):
Guys, ignore MalpensaSFO who is nothing more than a troll that is trying to annoy you guys. By responding to him, you are doing nothing more than making him happy. A quick search of his past posts (as either MalpensaSFO, Kahala777, or Lhr001) and you will actually discover threads in which he supports jetBlue, and talks about how they have successfully eroded market share for others.

Yep. While he should be ignored, sometimes it's just fun to point out the obvious flaws in his arguments (such as skewing numbers, making up facts).

Quoting Coronado990 (Reply 32):
Bottom line is 387 passengers a day O&D, Delta has the largest share at 24.25% and Southwest share is 19.60% just so David and Dave know what they are up against.

They definitely do. Since there is no non-stop service offered between the two areas, I'm sure if B6 were to offer the route it would be successful. Unlike BUR, which had to compete with numerous LAX flights, SAN has no competition.

JetBluefan1

[Edited 2006-07-29 21:46:58]

B752OS

Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:06 am

Could they possibly use the aircraft to start BOS-MSY? AA did to restart the route after Katrina.

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 31):
Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 29):
Do yourselves a favor and ignore MAH4546, he isknown for his biased posts that seem to draw dilusional stroys about anything other than Jet Blue and American Airlines. A quick search of his threads will show you that he seems to be under the impresson that airlines need to cater to the low yileds routes to Florida. In addition he feels a constant need to refute anyone and everyone that has proven him wrong time and time again. Of course not mauch can be said since he has claimed to live in Sweden, Miami, Los Angeles, and New York all at once. He would all like us to believe that he is an expert on revenue, yet he has been found to not offer one single thread of information for his baseless claims that Florida is where the money is...

So how is the house on 86th street?

So how is your private get in Miami?

Lets see what he answers to this baseless claims he has made in the past...

[Edited 2006-07-29 21:31:14]

So he is biased with MIA. Most people in here are biased towards 1 or 2 airports. I will admit that I am biased, biased towards BOS and DFW. So who really cares if he likes to talk about his home area? It is only natural. While I do agree that Florida and Miami are centered around tourist traffic (Florida's economy is fueled by it) he is entitled to his own opinion on things. Why sit here and insult him? He does make a lot of good, well informed posts in here.

MAH4546

Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 31):
Of course not mauch can be said since he has claimed to live in Sweden, Miami, Los Angeles, and New York all at once.

Yes, I claim to live in four cities at once all the time.

Quoting B752OS (Reply 34):
While I do agree that Florida and Miami are centered around tourist traffic (Florida's economy is fueled by it)

Tourist traffic or not, check average fare's for O&D passengers on comparitive Miami- and Boston- routes and you'll discover how they often do not differ significantly, with Miami often being higher. Don't underestimate "tourist" traffic's potential to sometimes generate strong revenue. That's for another topic though.

Quoting B752OS (Reply 34):
Could they possibly use the aircraft to start BOS-MSY? AA did to restart the route after Katrina.

It would like be an E90 route, not an A320 route. AA hasn't re-started the route because it was all tourist traffic. It was a strong revenue generator, none the less, but until there is a huge rebound, filling the planes will be difficult. I think jetBlue will likely start BOS-MSY in time for the winter.

[Edited 2006-07-29 22:21:44]

[Edited 2006-07-29 22:23:33]
a.

WMUPilot

Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:23 am

I think that many of us didn't expect the route to preform well. I was really suprised when we announced BUR-LAS and BUR-MCO. Even though it does take some time to build the route up I think they knew it wasn't going to preform well. Also with us reducing our delivery of 320s, these aircraft could be better utilized elsewhere, instead of keeping them on a route that isn't preforming well.

Also is there any possibilty that there can exist a thread on JetBlue that can stay civil? There are several posts in the forum now about the airline and every single one has turned into a huge bitter argument! Not one has stayed civil. I like how they tell you to post in kindness and not to argue before you confirm your post. How many people actually read that? Instead people come into these posts and start yelling about how the airline is going to fail, and of course those that support the airline are going to respond. If you can't post in kindness and disagree with people in a civil manner please go elsewhere. I really would like to have 1 post on the airline where the few don't come into it and start yelling and screaming all the bad points. It may be all you know but please don't post it in here.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

LAXintl

Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:30 am

This might be a case of United 1 , Jetblue 0

From what I hear the Jetblue BUR-MCO was heavily targeted to appeal to entertainment industry crowd specifically Disney whom has corporate office nearby.

Some might know that United has the bulk of Disney's corporate travel account and specifically maintains 2 class LAX-MCO as part of a requirement of the contract while otherwise MCO is an all TED station outside of a single SFO flight designed for Asia connections.

United apparently was not too pleased that Disney was to make use of the Jetblue BUR-MCO service while the carrier was forced to maintain service from LAX.

I suppose with the inability to get the solid support of a corporate account such as Disney, Jetblue's MCO flight becomes even more iffy hence the reported discontinuation.

Anyways, CA-Florida demand outside of MIA has always been somewhat weak and certainly low yielding.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

halls120

Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:32 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 8):
One problem with the schedule of the current flight is that it eats up a whole day of business by leaving at 8AM and arriving 3:45PM in MCO. Leaving after noon allows for all the morning meetings and calls to be made before taking the flight. And arriving in BUR before noon allows for afternoon meetings. While the timing was great for vacationers, it wasn't so hot for business people.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 9):
There is no off-peak for business travel, which the flight was aimed at.

If it was really aimed at business people, someone at B6 evidently didn't talk to their prospective business customers. As the top post notes, the schedule wasn't conducive to business travel.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

jetBlueNYFL

Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:33 am

Quoting Wmupilot (Reply 36):
Also is there any possibilty that there can exist a thread on JetBlue that can stay civil? There are several posts in the forum now about the airline and every single one has turned into a huge bitter argument! Not one has stayed civil. I like how they tell you to post in kindness and not to argue before you confirm your post. How many people actually read that? Instead people come into these posts and start yelling about how the airline is going to fail, and of course those that support the airline are going to respond. If you can't post in kindness and disagree with people in a civil manner please go elsewhere. I really would like to have 1 post on the airline where the few don't come into it and start yelling and screaming all the bad points. It may be all you know but please don't post it in here.

Finally, someone who actually makes sense!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think the reason that any B6 thread turns into an argument is because those who dislike jetBlue or are just sick of how much we love them are full of jealousy and they can't stay away. The funny thing is that we are not on the threads about legacy airlines bashing them...they are only on here.

WMUPilot

Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:34 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 37):
This might be a case of United 1 , Jetblue 0

From what I hear the Jetblue BUR-MCO was heavily targeted to appeal to entertainment industry crowd specifically Disney whom has corporate office nearby.

Some might know that United has the bulk of Disney's corporate travel account and specifically maintains 2 class LAX-MCO as part of a requirement of the contract while otherwise MCO is an all TED station outside of a single SFO flight designed for Asia connections.

United apparently was not too pleased that Disney was to make use of the Jetblue BUR-MCO service while the carrier was forced to maintain service from LAX.

I suppose with the inability to get the solid support of a corporate account such as Disney, Jetblue's MCO flight becomes even more iffy hence the reported discontinuation.

Anyways, CA-Florida demand outside of MIA has always been somewhat weak and certainly low yielding.

I do have to agree with you on this one. I was thinking that we started it to try and draw traffic away from LAX. There is no way we where going to pull the business traveler out of United First and draw them on to our 320s. Heck I wouldn't do it. We just nammed a new head of planning so hopefully we will use more thought before attempting this again  Smile

AirWillie6475

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:10 am

Well no shit they ended this route, I didn't even know they were flying it now and I live near Burbank Airport. Go figure. They had terrible marketing, people probably didn't even know. I don't remember hearing anything about it except for A-Net.

MAH4546

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:13 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 38):
If it was really aimed at business people, someone at B6 evidently didn't talk to their prospective business customers. As the top post notes, the schedule wasn't conducive to business travel.

For a flight with only one frequency, it is an optimal schedule. Cross-country business trips aren't the typical "in at morning/out at night" thing.
a.

SurferX

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:58 am

Does anyone happen to think that this has something to do with the fact that Martin St. George is now the VP of Planning for B6? Especially since he came over from UA?

Just a thought...

JetBlueAUS

Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:41 am

I know this is kind of off topic, but a recent route addition to MCO started a week or two ago. How is SYR-MCO doing?

halls120

Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:59 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 42):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 38):

For a flight with only one frequency, it is an optimal schedule. Cross-country business trips aren't the typical "in at morning/out at night" thing.

When I'm flying west to east, I'd rather leave after noon and get in late on the east coast than leave at 8:30 am. That way the entire day isn't blown.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

WMUPilot

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:44 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 45):
When I'm flying west to east, I'd rather leave after noon and get in late on the east coast than leave at 8:30 am. That way the entire day isn't blown.

I think that is the way most people think. The would rather take the redeye out and have the whole next day to start the vacation. Unfortunatly we didn't run this flight like that which I think would have meet with more approval.

jetbluefan1

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:52 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 45):

I agree (if I were flying for business).

It seems that JetBlue was aiming this at the leisure crowd: take the kiddies to Disney World (even though Disney Land is right down the street) and get into Orlando at a reasonable hour to check-in at the hotel, unpack, go to the pool for a bit, go out to dinner...but I guess Orlando really isn't that much of a draw. Florida really seems to be the 'hot spot' for New Yorkers and Bostonians, not West Coasters.

Definitely a miscalculation. I think BUR is better suited for business travel - as clearly proven with the very successful JFK runs.

JetBluefan1

ASFlyer

Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:20 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 47):
Florida really seems to be the 'hot spot' for New Yorkers and Bostonians, not West Coasters.

Yet, oddly enough, Alaska Airlines manages to fill our 737-800/900 aircraft on our two daily nonstops from SEA every single day. We rarely leave with seats open on this route. I believe that UA's MCO-LAX/SFO flights are usually full as well. Additionally, my experience in non-revving has shown me that US Airways/America West to/from LAS/PHX is usually quite full.

MCO is, indeed, a hot spot for people from all over the U.S., with most airlines filling their planes from the west coast. I imagine, had B6 done a little more marketing on this route, and spent some time developing it, it would have grown.

jetblueatjfk

Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:23 am

I knew these routes would not do so hot and I guess I guessed it right. They seemed like a wierd pair. I always thought IAD-SMF was bad and it was and then BUR-MCO was an odd one. I did think BUR-LAS would make it but timing I guess wasn't bad but I think the cancellation of BUR-MCO played a big role in canceling that.

BUR-MCO FAILED
BUR-LAS FAILED
SMF-IAD FAILED
EWR-SJU FAILED
JFK-SDQ FAILED

See below and check your numbers before you post.

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 30):
OAK/LGB-ATL - 2003
JFK-SDQ - 2005
EWR-SJU - 2006
IAD-SMF - 2006
LAS/MCO-BUR - 2006

B6jfk airplane 

jetbluefan1

Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:38 am

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 48):
Yet, oddly enough, Alaska Airlines manages to fill our 737-800/900 aircraft on our two daily nonstops from SEA every single day. We rarely leave with seats open on this route. I believe that UA's MCO-LAX/SFO flights are usually full as well. Additionally, my experience in non-revving has shown me that US Airways/America West to/from LAS/PHX is usually quite full.

Definitely. Yet, B6 has neither a hub at BUR nor MCO. No feeder traffic on either end. The point that I was trying to make is that NY/NE has tons of capacity to Florida and it's basically a guaranteed success for any airline looking to fly it. OK, so it's not that simple, but it's not as risky as a transcon which has twice the costs.

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 48):
had B6 done a little more marketing on this route, and spent some time developing it, it would have grown.

I agree. A part of me is dissappointed that they are pulling out so quickly, but another part of me is saying to be happy that JetBlue is dropping services that are unsuccessful or have unsuccessful prospects.

JetBluefan1

atlaaron

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:12 am

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 17):

I would feel better working for an airline that has some sort of decent market research and does not fail over and over on new routes.