dsa

MOD: Any Room For Growth?

Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:09 pm

Hi

Just wondering is there any rumours or oppurtunities of growth at Modesto its a really great airport and would be great to see a bigger carrier there than UAX.

DSA>>>
Go Skybus!!!!

dsa

RE: MOD: Any Room For Growth?

Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:42 pm

Is anyone out there?

DSA>>>
Go Skybus!!!!

DesertAir

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:43 pm

Since Allegiant began service in Stockton to LAS recently, I doubt that MOD is a candidate for Allegiant service.

stirling

Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Major inhibitor to any substantial growth is the length of the MOD runway.

If someone had a CRJ flight into MOD right now, they'd probably be going out half full because of the penalty incurred when it is 110+ degrees outside.

That is not to say the surrounding area could not support more flights, it very well could, if service was offered, and at a competitive price comparatively to SMF/OAK/SFO.

The only reason United was able to bring 737-200s into MOD in the past is because more times than not, they were not close to being full.
Delete this User

DesertAir

Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:15 am

I flew on one of those United 737-200s into MOD years ago. It was a late evening flight SFO-MOD-SCK.
[quote=Stirling,reply=3]If someone had a CRJ flight into MOD right now, they'd probably be going out half full because of the penalty incurred when it is 110+ degrees outside.

I recall years ago a start-up out of Fresno called Far West Airlines. Their prop planes were used mainly in Japan. When the summer valley heat came, the planes had difficulty lifting off.

What has hurt Central Valley air service has been the high fares, but with gas as expensive as it is, driving to OAK and SFO may save little. Add high parking or shuttle rates and valley air service may be able to sustain a bit higher fares.