alespesl

Closest Airport To Canterbury, UK

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:55 pm

Hello All,
I would need some help with locating closest airport to the city in the title where scheduled air service is provided.

I would like to visit a friend on mine who is teaching in this town before he will move to Berne, Switzerland. I would be flying from PRG.

Thanks
ALes

lhrmaccoll

RE: Closest Airport To Canterbury, UK

Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:14 pm

Shame that Kent has closed down with the demise of EUjet....
I'd imagine Gatwick would be easiest to get to, come round on the M26 headed to Brighton..
Any other ideas?
SOU?

highpeaklad

Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:20 pm

Any of the London ones should do LHR,LGW,LTN,STN followed by train/bus to Canterbury

Chris
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

adamlaskiewicz

Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:30 pm

Gatwick is the closest airport to Canterbury but I think any of the London airports are viable options as there are good bus/train links with Canterbury.

Pe@rson

Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:31 pm

Kent International, at Manston, would be the obvious choice, but that isn't a viable option. So, you will have to choose from LGW, LHR, LTN or STN.

Quoting Adamlaskiewicz (Reply 3):
there are good bus/train links with Canterbury.

Not from the airports there aren't; indeed, there aren't even National Express buses from neither LHR nor LGW to Canterbury, except via London Victoria. Likewise, all trains go via London or other places, such as Tonbridge. By train, it'll take 2-2.5 hours from LGW; about 2.5 hours from LHR (using the Tube to London Victoria or Charing Cross); about 2.5-2.75 hours from LTN Parkway, normally via London Bridge and Tonbridge; and about 3-3.5 hours from STN (Stansted Express to London Liverpool Street, thence Tube to Charing Cross, thence train to Canterbury). So, time-wise, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference into which London airport you fly. For times, prices, etc., visit www.thetrainline.co.uk.

[Edited 2006-07-29 16:32:31]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Humberside

Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:49 pm

Quoting Lhrmaccoll (Reply 1):
Shame that Kent has closed down with the demise of EUjet....

It's not closed down. It presently has charter and cargo flights
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum