wrighbrothers

BA Non-revenue Upgrade

Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:32 am

Hello all  Smile

I should be traveling on non-rev ID90 on BA from LHR-AMS and back.
Now, I'm just wondering how I can give myself the best chance of an upgrade ?.

I'm going to dress for business (shirt, smart trousers, my school shoes etc) and I'm not going to ask for an upgrade out bold, but my ticket only gives me economy, at the end of the day, I know that's what i'm entitled to and I'm not going to throw a tantrum if I get economy, i'm just grateful to get on the plane and don't expect a seat.
But, the loads in economy are light, which means there's not much hope of being bumped up for load reasons, but what I wanted to ask, was what I can do to give myself a chance of getting club ?
What are your tips ?, should I ask about business or how they are, have a chat with them if they aren;t bussy etc ?
I was even thinking of politely asking 'I hope this doesn't sound cheeky, but is there a chance of a seat in club ?', is that a wise idea
Also, If I was to ask, where should I ask ?, at the gate (deliberatly be at the end of the quee as not to hold them up) or at check-in ?

Thank you in advance
Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

anstar

RE: BA Non-revenue Upgrade

Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:38 am

To be honest I wouldn;t bother on the LHR-AMS route.

The flight is about 40 minutes, the seats are the same as economy.

dutchjet

Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:44 am

Ask at the gate.......there is no harm in asking if there is any possibility of getting a seat in Club. Dont push the issue, be polite and tell the gate agent that you would be grateful for any help that he or she could offer.....in general, they will do their best for you if you dont "demand" anything that you are not entitled to. You may just get lucky.

Quoting ANstar (Reply 1):
To be honest I wouldn;t bother on the LHR-AMS route.

The flight is about 40 minutes, the seats are the same as economy.

I agree, but, on the other hand, its always fun to sit up front.

jdwfloyd

Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:52 am

When a guy that I work with and I did our 'round the world trip we flew LHR to HKG on BA. We ask at the Non-Rev counter what the procedure was to be upgraded, acting sorta dumb about the subject. We ask if there were Non-Rev upgrades that were avable to purchas as UsAir does. We ended up not getting the upgrade due to a full flight, so we were told by both the ticket agent and the gate agent. It turned out to be the worst flight of the trip due to the lack of seat pitch and my height of 6'4''.

JGPH1A

Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:59 am

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Thread starter):
Hello all

I should be traveling on non-rev ID90 on BA from LHR-AMS and back.

Staff onloads and upgrades are processed automatically by the DCS system as a general rule, based on a specific upgrade authority/priority code that depends on your category (e.g. if you work for BA, are you on duty, and about 1000 other parameters) - system assesses everyone's categories and upgrades accordingly. No point in even asking, usually - I think the gate agents can override the system, but I don't think they do very often.

If you tell me the flight you've listed on, I can check if your STF code offers the possibility of an upgrade.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

trekster

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:07 am

Its a 40 min flt, no realy diff from y and j other than 2-3 not 3-3 sme seat pitch, maybe a little more

AMS is a busy route sometimes
Where does the time go???

FLYACYYZ

New Air Agreement//Canada - Portugal

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:39 am

I was even thinking of politely asking 'I hope this doesn't sound cheeky, but is there a chance of a seat in club ?', is that a wise idea

I've been non-revving for 25 years, and find that most gate agents are incredibly turned off when you solicit for an upgrade. In this day and age, their priority is their revenue customers, and dispatching the flight on time. BA staff are generally very courteous, but do you think they really want to have mindless chit chat at the gate regarding business?? If it materializes, consider it a bonus. I have received more upgrades over time by not asking. If you're suitably dressed, it certainly enhances your chances and consideration.

[Edited 2006-07-30 00:43:50]
Above and Beyond

rtfm

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:39 am

Buy yourself a full fare Y ticket, join the Exec club, travel a lot and grow up....

FLYACYYZ

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:47 am

According to your profile you're 13-15 years of age. Just hope they don't charge you an unaccompanied minor fee!!

boggled 
Above and Beyond

BAxMAN

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:49 am

Quoting RTFM (Reply 7):
Buy yourself a full fare Y ticket, join the Exec club, travel a lot and grow up....

No can do. Got to be 18 to do that.

I didn't realise that you could travel non-rev as a UM though!
I need to get laid

rtfm

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting BAxMAN (Reply 9):
No can do. Got to be 18 to do that.

Well that's sort of what I meant.. Perhaps I should have listed that bit first....  Smile

A340600

Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:03 am

This is not exactly the best flight for Club anyway as you're rushed through a meal and there isn't really much time to enjoy the perks, i'd just stick to Y and not bother asking. If you get Club, that's great, if you don't, it isn't much of a loss,

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

UN_B732

Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:28 am

Would he be UM?  Smile
I don't know what the BA policy is, but at CO you have to be 15 to be classifed as non-UM, with UA it's 14 (and I actually flew non-UM at 14 with United, FRA-IAD-BTV)
-Mr. X
What now?

Jonno

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:01 am

Quoting ANstar (Reply 1):

No, 34" pitch, a meal, drinks service, 2 x 2 up front, middle seat blocked off.

cusaeng

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:10 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 4):
No point in even asking, usually - I think the gate agents can override the system, but I don't think they do very often.

not sure about that i work for ba and the past few times ive asked on id90's ive been bumped up at the gate. i guess it just depends on the draggon at the desk  Wink good luck tho
I wanna fly but they wont let me :( grr

BAxMAN

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:21 am

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 12):
Would he be UM?
I don't know what the BA policy is, but at CO you have to be 15 to be classifed as non-UM, with UA it's 14 (and I actually flew non-UM at 14 with United, FRA-IAD-BTV)
-Mr. X

Nah. 12+ can travel unaccompanied.

I'd assume the OP is travelling with Daddy, although staff travel T&C's will let a 12-15 year old travel alone. However, they must be capable of handling staff travel/airport procedures, and the OP indicates a lack of familiarity in this respect, so I'd guess he ain't unaccompanied.

Wonder what a young teen would get up to if they were bumped from the flight and had to spend an evening in AMS?

Quoting BA Staff Travel Policy Guide:

5.3 Before allowing children between the ages of 12 and 15 years to travel unaccompanied the employee must ensure that the child is capable of handling all relevant staff travel and airport procedures prior to boarding the aircraft. A child must be capable of handling security checks/passport control formalities and must be able to find the appropriate departure point without any special attention and assistance from Customer Service staff whose their primary responsibility is to assist our commercial customers.
I need to get laid

dc10s4ever

Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:07 pm

I remember checking in at the BA staff travel desk once and saw a sign that said " Please do not ask for an upgrade, as denial often offends."

trekster

Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:05 pm

Quoting Jonno (Reply 13):
2 x 2 up front

Its 2-3 not 2-2, Left side of aircraft goes ACwith the b seat made smaller so ther eis extra space, DEF are the same
Where does the time go???

JGPH1A

Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Quoting Jonno (Reply 13):
No, 34" pitch, a meal, drinks service, 2 x 2 up front, middle seat blocked off.

Quoting Trekster (Reply 17):
DEF are the same

2+3 seats, middle seat on the ABC side shrunk, DEF stretched slightly. Always sit on the left in BA Club Europe, it's much nicer.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Geo772

Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:13 pm

There is really not much point trying for an upgrade on LHR-AMS. A few years ago I was on a KLM flight and it was less than 20 minutes in duration. The winds and traffic patterns were such that as we left AMS we were almost immediately on long finals to Heathrow.

Also in the few years I have been using rebate travel the upgrades that I've got - only one was the result of me asking, all the rest were done by either DCS or a colleague putting in a word for me at the despatchers office.
Flown on A300B4/600,A319/20/21,A332/3,A343,B727,B732/3/4/5/6/7/8,B741/2/4,B752/3,B762/3,B772/3,DC10,L1011-200,VC10,MD80,

JGPH1A

Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:39 pm

Quoting Geo772 (Reply 19):
colleague putting in a word for me at the despatchers office.

This is another good way if you can swing it - have a quiet word with the route controller who manages the inventory - on a lot of flights, usually longhaul where they don't have moveable curtain, they have to take seats out of premium cabins for economy pax - if you are one of the lucky few, you can get an operational upgrade that is firm and won't be overridden by DCS. Normally they select prems for this type of upgrade, but if you know someone who knows someone, they don't normally object.

alaskaqantas

Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:14 pm

go for it, I'd just try. won't hurt anyone to give it a go.
give it a try at check-in because if you get upgraded there you could go into the lounge. also the food is worth it up front, I've seen pictures of the food and it looks great for a 40 minute flight!
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
hope you have a fun and safe flight no matter what class... but I'll be hoping you getting an up-grade
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

cusaeng

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:33 pm

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 21):
give it a try at check-in because if you get upgraded there you could go into the lounge.

thats a big no no on an id90. ba staff travel rules say you can use the lounges and any wash packs that would usualy be given to paying passangers need to be declined. i supose if you can get the upgrade at checkin you could always play dumb and try to get in  Wink
I wanna fly but they wont let me :( grr

vc10

Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:04 pm

Staff onloads and upgrades are processed automatically

I must agree with JGPHIA on this, as having worked for BA for some 36 years I have quite a high on load priority, but would not dream of asking for upgrades, as when they can, the staff normally do, and those who cannot be bothered to try are not going to have their mind altered by someone asking.

Also the young man in question at his age must be travelling on a relatives concession, and you are reminded to always tell people how to behave when travelling on a staff ticket, and not to hassle staff even if done politely, as this could result in the relative being reported to staff travel and having their concessions curtailed in some way.

Get your seat, don't broadcast that you are traveling as staff, be polite and enjoy your flight, but do remember you are travelling on another persons concession so you have to be extra polite

littlevc10

LHR777

Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:13 pm

Quoting Cusaeng (Reply 22):
i supose if you can get the upgrade at checkin you could always play dumb and try to get in

No point - we'll just say "no". Trust me - this is something I deal with on a daily basis.

Seriously, don't expect an upgrade on a LHR-AMS service (or any other) with an M class priority. If you're on standby at the gate, then maybe we'll do it there, but only if we're totally full in M class. Of course, if you're nice to me, I might just take care of you....  Wink

The important thing is to remember that revenue takes priority. Simple as that. Sometimes, if I have a lot of staff to onload on a euro flight and I have the time to do it (not very often, as we board at -27 and close at -10, giving me just 17 minutes to do everything), I'll move Gold and Silver card holders to C class and seat non-revs in M. Often though, the Golds are already all in C class, then i'll put staff in C class, subject to permission from the dispatcher.

Remember, it's only about 40 minutes airborne..is it really even worth it? I'd personally save the upgrade 'favours' for things like LHR-YYZ, LHR-LAX or LHR-SIN...the sectors where you're much better-off in J class.

wrighbrothers

Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:21 pm

Firstly , thanks for the replys.

Quoting BAxMAN (Reply 15):
I'd assume the OP is travelling with Daddy

No,I'm travelling on my own.

Quoting VC10 (Reply 23):
Also the young man in question at his age must be travelling on a relatives concession, and you are reminded to always

Of course, I'm always extra polite when I travel, even if it's some ridiculous hour in the morning, always smile, be polite, don't push the staff etc, just be out of the way, I've travelled on my own before, so I know the rules  Smile.

Quoting VC10 (Reply 23):
Get your seat, don't broadcast that you are traveling as staff, be polite and enjoy your flight, but do remember you are travelling on another persons concession so you have to be extra polite

I always do that.

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 21):

Thanks  Smile

Wonder what a young teen would get up to if they were bumped from the flight and had to spend an evening in AMS?

Well........probably sleep overnight at the airport  Wink

However, they must be capable of handling staff travel/airport procedures

Of which I am

Quoting FLYACYYZ (Reply 6):

Thank you for the advice  Smile

If you tell me the flight you've listed on, I can check if your STF code offers the possibility of an upgrade.

PM'd you

Bottom line, I've travelled by melself before, if only inside the U.K, the reason I asked was out of interest, at the end of the day, I'm happy with what I get, it's just if there was any chance of getting a seat upfront, who wouldn't take the chance ?

Wrighbrothers

JGPH1A

Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:34 pm

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 25):
PM'd you

Replied - not looking hopeful for UG, sorry mate - you'll get on the flight though, no sweat.

J

wrighbrothers

Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:48 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 26):
Replied - not looking hopeful for UG, sorry mate - you'll get on the flight though, no sweat.

Thanks, getting on is the most important thing though  Smile

Wrighty

kaddyuk

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:46 am

Doesnt Non-Rev rule?  Wink

Most airlines run a policy of no free upgrades unless required for operational reasons. Upgrades are monitored and challenged if not authorised by the system.

Sometimes it can be more productive to ask the CSD once the doors are closed...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

Jonno

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:36 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 17):

Gracious! I didn't know DEF were three across! My preference for 2A pays off! I just pay the dosh for the trip, C/F is just a better experience, esp. when a domestic flight is full and you're off and through customs and on the Heathrow Express when the last row is just leaving the aircraft. I'm a holiday traveler, so I guess if it was business I might think about traveling in Y. But I'd prolly pay the F/C price. Promised meself after a nightmare flight (BA 49 LHR - SEA 27/3/01) in Y that I'd never fly the back of the bus again; and I haven't done!  bigthumbsup 

COEXpilot

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:37 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 28):
Doesnt Non-Rev rule?

I've been doin it for 20 years. Flyin free is the shit.

and about the upgrades. Every once and a while on CO goin IAH-PHX or vise versa the only seat left will be a first class and they give it to me.

And probably one of the luckiest things of my life is when I was flying CO EWR-HKG and only seat was a first class seat. I was jumping for joy seeing that I was thinkin of flying coach there. Wow that was truly amazing. No joke.
Workin Hard and Flying Right with my eyes on the prize. Retirement.

wrighbrothers

Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:00 am

Doesnt Non-Rev rule?

It certainly is

Quoting COEXpilot (Reply 30):
Flyin free is the shit

That's one way of putting it  Big grin

Hmm, that might be tricky though.

Wrighbrothers

G-CIVP

Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:21 am

As another contributor mentioned above, its a forty to fifty minute flight and you will spend more time taxi-ing around LHR, waiting to check-in, clearing customs etc!

kaddyuk

Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:49 am

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 31):

I dont always ask but if i know the CSD/FSM i'll just ask them if there is a free bed for me to get some shuteye... They're normally willing...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

Evan767

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:19 am

Wow, you guys should try Delta, if there is a seat in the front, and no one else is on the upgrade list, and your next in line for a seat, you get it. All this other stuff sounds too complicated.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

FI642

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:44 am

My experience has been that Staff Travel at T4 don't upgrade.

If I have checked bags, I avoid NRSA travel through LHR.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

LHR777

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:04 am

Quoting FI642 (Reply 35):

Not true - I've only ever had either WTP or J class from Staff travel at T4. Longhaul i've flown EZE, YYZ, ORD, JFK and SIN from LHR T4.

Euro flights are not handled by staff travel - you check-in at Zone B, Euro Traveller check-in. You either get a seat at checkin, or a standby card and sent thru' to the gate, then the senior gate agent issues your seat, if any are available when the flight closes.

JGPH1A

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:37 am

Quoting LHR777 (Reply 36):
Euro flights are not handled by staff travel - you check-in at Zone B, Euro Traveller check-in.

Did they get rid of the staff check-in at T1 then ? There used to a little back hovel you went into. This was a few years ago though.

AV8AJET

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:06 am

Quoting FI642 (Reply 35):

If I have checked bags, I avoid NRSA travel through LHR.

I have staff traveled on BA from PHX-LHR-PHX and was "upgraded" on the LHR to PHX flight from Y into WTP+. It was a huge difference from the Y class flight from PHX-LHR. We checked bags with no issues other than breaking my son's stroller. The BA staff in LHR T4 were some of the best and most courteous I've dealt with and would have no hesitation traveling through LHR again, fantastic airport and my personal favourite!!! Keep up the great work BA!!!
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

LHR777

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:18 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 37):
Did they get rid of the staff check-in at T1 then ? There used to a little back hovel you went into. This was a few years ago though.

No, it's still there, just past Zone R. In T4, long-haul only check-in at staff travel. Euro check-in at Zone B.

In T1, I know long-haul use staff travel, but not sure about euro, as I've never flown euro from T1 on staff travel. Sorry!

wrighbrothers

Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:23 am

Quoting LHR777 (Reply 36):
Euro flights are not handled by staff travel - you check-in at Zone B, Euro Traveller check-in.

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks, so thye won't process you at all at staff travel ?

Quoting LHR777 (Reply 39):
In T1, I know long-haul use staff travel, but not sure about euro, as I've never flown euro from T1 on staff travel. Sorry!

European route non-revs use the stand-by desk in T1, the same as you use when you go within the U.K non-rev  Smile

Wrighbrothers

frntman

Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:56 am

When I non-reved on BA (working for another carrier), the ticket was always done in "M" class, which I was told meant priority for coach, but upgradeable to business if available.

Staff travel in T4 would usually place a call to see if they could clear a seat in business. If not, they would clear a seat in coach.

Being a gate agent myself, it's rather annoying when non-revs approach you looking for special treatment. Rather than asking if there was an upgrade available at the gate, I would politely ask if there was someone sitting next to me and without asking they would upgrade me to World Traveler Plus or business.

Very kind folks to say the least!

Shamrock_747

Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:08 am

Quoting Frntman (Reply 41):
When I non-reved on BA (working for another carrier), the ticket was always done in "M" class, which I was told meant priority for coach, but upgradeable to business if available.

Staff travel in T4 would usually place a call to see if they could clear a seat in business. If not, they would clear a seat in coach.

I wasn't aware things were ever done that way - that definitely doesn't happen now!

If you're travelling on a M priority ticket T4 staff travel will seat you in M class. Of course if the flight is busy than operational upgrades may occur, but M class BA staff tickets are in no way 'upgradeable'.

wrighbrothers

Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:17 am

So, thank you for all the replies.
Now, bottom line, should I or shouldn't I if an upgrade is possible (In the most polite way, big smiles ,done with descretion etc etc, probably at the gate, though i'll see on the day)

Thanks
Wrightbrothers

JGPH1A

Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:18 am

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 43):
Now, bottom line, should I or shouldn't I if an upgrade is possible (In the most polite way, big smiles ,done with descretion etc etc, probably at the gate, though i'll see on the day)

Short answer - no, I wouldn't. No chance of getting one, so leave it to fate.

englandair

Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:41 am

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 31):

If it's an airbus then there won't be a CSD, just a purser as the incharge crew member.
I don't know how things work on eurofleet but I'm worldwide crew with BA and often work the position (esp on the B777) that helps the CSD with boarding and almost ALWAYS we will move our staff up to a more comfy seat if there's space and catering availible. It's nice and simple onboard the a/c as nothing has to go through a computer- we simply change the passenger's seat.

Whatever you do don't wander up in the middle of boarding when there are 100 people stood behind you and stop the boarding process by loudly asking for an upgrade because it won't go down well! Wait until almost everyone else is onboard (by then the crew will know where the spare seats are) and DISCREETLY have a word then.

Good luck!

wrighbrothers

Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:22 am

Well, I have did the trip, and I went in Y both ways

Quoting Englandair (Reply 45):
Wait until almost everyone else is onboard (by then the crew will know where the spare seats are) and DISCREETLY have a word then.

That's what exactly I did on the way out (I didn't ask on thw way back), and unfortunaltly there were executive club people onboard, so I couldn't be upgraded, but she was very friendly about it, maybe another time  Smile

Wrighty