ILUVAA
Topic Author

Continental Airlines New Service: EWR-BON-Netherlands Antilles

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:43 am

Starting in December of this year COA will offer weekly service from Newark-Liberty USA (EWR-KEWR) to Bonaire's Flamingo Int. Airport, Netherlands Antilles (BON/TNCB).

So far no aircraft type or flight schedule has been published for this route by COA.

Below is a link to Bonaire's website with the COA article.

http://www.infobonaire.com/breaking_news/2006_July_19.html

LTU932

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:49 am

Doesn't CO already fly to BON from IAH? This would mean they're increasing service there.

MAH4546

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:52 am

It will be a 737-700.

CO 1553 will depart Newark Saturdays at 11.55PM, arriving in Bonaire Sunday morning at 5.40AM.

CO 1556 will depart Bonaire Sundays at 7AM, arriving in Newark at 10.45AM.
a.

iahcsr

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:53 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 1):
Doesn't CO already fly to BON from IAH?

yes 
Working very hard to Fly Right....

jfklganyc

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:01 am

That's like a B6 schedule!! haha

But it is good timing. Vacationers arrive with the whole day in front of them and get back to NY after partying all nite!

PJ

USPIT10L

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:04 am

Quoting ILUVAA (Thread starter):
Starting in December of this year COA will offer weekly service from Newark-Liberty USA (EWR-KEWR) to Bonaire's Flamingo Int. Airport, Netherlands Antilles (BON/TNCB).

So far no aircraft type or flight schedule has been published for this route by COA.

Below is a link to Bonaire's website with the COA article.

http://www.infobonaire.com/breaking_....html

Please use the IATA two-letter airline and airport codes, please. The ICAO codes can't be translated instantly here, while there is a roll-over for the codes here. Most of us use those codes when we talk about specific airlines. Thanks for the info, though.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

theLUREnyc

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:54 am

Quoting JFKLGANYC (Reply 4):
But it is good timing. Vacationers arrive with the whole day in front of them and get back to NY after partying all nite!

Good schedule !!?? You kiddn!

Arrive in Bonaire at 540am, to reach your hotel and be told that you can't check in until 3pm! And on the way back, you have to get up in the middle of the night to get to the airport b4 6am ... losing a whole day you've paid for at your hotel?

Crap schedule! Sounds like this was an afterthought of a route - - one designed to keep a plane from sitting in EWR overnight.

Tony

STT757

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:56 am

CO now has the only nonstops from NY to all three of the ABC Islands:

Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

theLUREnyc

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:04 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 7):

You mean NJ.

AirCop

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:08 am

Quoting TheLUREnyc (Reply 6):
Arrive in Bonaire at 540am, to reach your hotel and be told that you can't check in until 3pm! And on the way back, you have to get up in the middle of the night to get to the airport b4 6a

Where I stay at Bonaire the arrival time will not be a problem, heck you sould be scuba diving within a couple of hours anyways; used the IAH service and it worked fine, and getting through the airport should be a breeze since the early morning KLM will be history.

dutchjet

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:11 am

Crap schedule! Sounds like this was an afterthought of a route - - one designed to keep a plane from sitting in EWR overnight.

Thats exactly right....

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 1):
Doesn't CO already fly to BON from IAH? This would mean they're increasing service there

They did last winter....with the same type of schedule.

-----------

I think that the IAH flights were sold/marketed in connection with tour packages specializing in diving, for which Bonaire is popular (there is nothing else to do there)....

It actually is if you are into diving (I am not).....there is a period of time that you cannot dive before and after flying......the early morning arrival/departure is prefered in the diving world from what I understand.

Arrive in Bonaire at 540am, to reach your hotel and be told that you can't check in until 3pm

Oh, dont be so fussy......take off your clothes and hit the beach.  Smile

MAH4546

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:17 am

Instead of just basing it on the fact that it doesn't look friendly, why don't you take market demographics and considerations into account?

Bonaire is a niche market in the Caribbean that is popular with divers. This schedule is perfect for divers. The schedule isn't just for the hell of it.
a.

STT757

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:36 am

Quoting TheLUREnyc (Reply 8):
You mean NJ.

From any airport controlled by the Port Authority of NY& NJ, NY does not control JFK and LGA the Port Authority which is a bi-State Agency created by an Act of Congress in the 1920s controls the 4 NYC airports (EWR, JFK, LGA, TEB).

Newark is NYC's First Airport, it's also closer to the Region's Core (Manhattan) than JFK. To say EWR is not a NY airport is to be ignorant of the relationship of the Metropolitan Area has within the Five Boroughs of NYC and the Five New Jersey Counties which border Manhattan, Staten Island and the Bronx.

theLUREnyc

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:58 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 12):
From any airport controlled by the Port Authority of NY& NJ, NY does not control JFK and LGA the Port Authority which is a bi-State Agency created by an Act of Congress in the 1920s controls the 4 NYC airports (EWR, JFK, LGA, TEB).

Newark is NYC's First Airport, it's also closer to the Region's Core (Manhattan) than JFK. To say EWR is not a NY airport is to be ignorant of the relationship of the Metropolitan Area has within the Five Boroughs of NYC and the Five New Jersey Counties which border Manhattan, Staten Island and the Bronx.

NEWARK IS IN NEW JERSEY.

LTU932

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:01 am

Actually I do agree with the others on this. It's the perfect schedule to arrive and already get started with the vacations..

Quoting IAHcsr (Reply 3):
 yes 

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 10):
They did last winter....with the same type of schedule.

Thanks for the info to both.

STT757

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:04 am

Quoting TheLUREnyc (Reply 13):

NEWARK IS IN NEW JERSEY.

So are the NY Football Giants and the NY Jets, what's the point?..

EWR is a NYC airport, every major Carrier, the Port Authority of NY and NJ and the FAA recognize this.

theLUREnyc

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:08 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 11):
Bonaire is a niche market in the Caribbean that is popular with divers. This schedule is perfect for divers. The schedule isn't just for the hell of it.

OK - thanks for clarifying that. I didnt realize that type of schedule works so well for the diver crowd. I was just basing it on the fact that most vacation/resort type places, it's: leave home in the AM, arrive there early in the day, then have to check out of your hotel on your last day at noon, so take an afternoon/eve flight home.

MCOflyer

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:08 am

Just perfect for scuba divers as others have said, but many hotels down there let you check in your bags early. So, the schedule isnt a problem. Its your body adjusting to it.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

theLUREnyc

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:16 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 17):
So, the schedule isnt a problem. Its your body adjusting to it.

Man I know what you mean there. Its like taking an overnight flight to Europe. Cant remember how many times after arriving at 5 or 6am following a trans-atlantic flight I've either sat in a lobby bleary eyed or stumbled around London or Amsterdam or even just taken a city tour (sound asleep!) while waiting for my room to be ready! In the past, I've even booked the night before, just to ensure I didn't have to wait all day .. but that can be expensive!

Hope this new service works for CO. Bonaire is a cool place - though my time there weas brief - it was just on a cruise ship stop.

csavel

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:42 pm

Newark is NYC's First Airport, it's also closer to the Region's Core (Manhattan) than JFK

EWR is closer to downtown New York, but from midtown it is not, about equidistant with JFK holding a slight advantage from the east side.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

FrequentFlyKid

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:50 pm

Just an opinioin here, but I think that from midtown (Penn Station say) EWR is easier to get to than JFK and even LGA. Just an opinion.

STT757

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:53 pm

Quoting Csavel (Reply 19):
EWR is closer to downtown New York, but from midtown it is not, about equidistant with JFK holding a slight advantage from the east side.

If you have Google Earth use the measurement tool to measure the distances in miles from any point in Manhattan to EWR vs JFK, East Side, West Side, Up-town, Downtown EWR is closer than JFK.

Road mileage is different, but on a straight line distance EWR is closer.

captaink

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:04 pm

Whats the problem? CO is surely going to market this as a NY flight cause it is an airport that serves the NY area. So yes CO serves the ABC islands from NY, get over it.
There is something special about planes....

airnewzealand

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:05 pm

Diving after a flight are you mad?? Any good diver would know that can lead to death!!!

Cheers

STT757

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:10 pm

Quoting Airnewzealand (Reply 23):
Diving after a flight are you mad?? Any good diver would know that can lead to death!!!

What about US Navy SEALs? I've seen demonstrations and read accounts of them parachuting out of the back of a C-130 into the Ocean and then diving to a location or a target.

Do they stay below a certain altitude during flight, or do they do something or breathe something that protects them from the effects?

dutchjet

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:37 pm

Cheers

Thats why the early morning arrival works......divers usually wait 24 hours, thus they can dive beginning with the second full day of their holiday, arrive Sunday morning, dive Monday morning first thing. I think thats how it works.

CALMSP

Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:45 am

service will start on the 16th going southbound, and 17th going northbound.

as for the diving.....as long as the nitrogen is removed from your body you can jump back on the plane. it all depends on how much nitrogen a body has.

Amazonphil

Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:04 am

Quoting TheLUREnyc (Reply 13):

NEWARK IS IN NEW JERSEY.

Umm...think about this for second. He means, in the NYC area. He probably knows Newark IS in New Jersey.
If it ain't Boeing, I ain't goeing!

Amazonphil

Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:08 am

Cheers

I think it is the other way around...flying after diving that is the dangerous choice. I'm only a "skin diver" though so I can't say for sure.
If it ain't Boeing, I ain't goeing!

ScottB

Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:31 am

WRONG. It's actually flying after diving that is the problem; the current recommendations are to wait 12 hours after a single dive or 24 hours after multiple dives before flying. The issue is that the reduced pressure on board an aircraft at altitude could induce decompression sickness if an individual still has a significant amount of nitrogen absorbed in his tissues. Flying before diving is not a problem since you have no excess nitrogen in your tissues.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 24):
Do they stay below a certain altitude during flight, or do they do something or breathe something that protects them from the effects?

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 25):
Thats why the early morning arrival works......divers usually wait 24 hours, thus they can dive beginning with the second full day of their holiday, arrive Sunday morning, dive Monday morning first thing. I think thats how it works.

See above. If you're awake enough and get the dive orientation done on arrival in the morning, you can be diving by 9 or 10 AM the day you arrive. When I did IAH-BON in January, I was too sleepy Saturday morning to really be enthusiastic about going diving, but I was all set by afternoon.

Arrive in Bonaire at 540am, to reach your hotel and be told that you can't check in until 3pm! And on the way back, you have to get up in the middle of the night to get to the airport b4 6am ... losing a whole day you've paid for at your hotel?

Seriously? Try and get a fare under about $750 round-trip for most travel dates. CO has been packing its IAH-BON flights with a similar schedule and upgraded the route from the 737-700 to the 737-800. When I flew it in January, they were asking for volunteers to gamble on being able to make it onto AA Eagle's SJU-BON flight the next day (the gamble is due to weight restrictions on the ATR operating the flight).

The AA Eagle schedule is even worse. It arrives BON in the early evening and departs in the morning before the CO flight -- but it does operate five days a week to SJU.

I'm really a bit surprised that AA or DL (or even US) haven't tried to start their own service to BON, given what appear to be phenomenal results for CO on the route from IAH. CO has increased service on IAH-RTB from one weekly round-trip when announced two years ago to three (though it returns to one in September).

Quoting STT757 (Reply 7):

Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao.

So is EWR-CUR still "seasonal" or has it been promoted to year-round?

[Edited 2006-08-01 01:33:45]

dutchjet

Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:45 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 29):

WRONG. It's actually flying after diving that is the problem; the current recommendations are to wait 12 hours after a single dive or 24 hours after multiple dives before flying. The issue is that the reduced pressure on board an aircraft at altitude could induce decompression sickness if an individual still has a significant amount of nitrogen absorbed in his tissues. Flying before diving is not a problem since you have no excess nitrogen in your tissues.

Thanks for the lesson......I learned something and got it backward above.

In consideration of this new (correct) info, CO's flight times to Bonaire are great:

1. Arrive in the early morning - start diving.

2. The airplane used would be sitting idle on the Saturday night.

3. Diving is possible until Friday, Saturday to recover, early flight on Sunday morning.

Sounds like a winner.....interesting that IAH-BON was such a success. Will CO have two airplanes on the ground at Bonaire every Sunday morning this winter?

[Edited 2006-08-01 01:46:06]

ScottB

Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:26 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 30):
3. Diving is possible until Friday, Saturday to recover, early flight on Sunday morning.

If you're willing to push things a bit, you can dive Saturday morning. There's nothing especially magic about the "24 hour" time period since desorption of nitrogen is an equilibrium process, so the difference between, say, 22 hours and 24 hours is fairly minimal. If you're willing to get up at 0400 to do a night dive, it's not difficult to get two dives in before 0800. Diving Saturday afternoon would be a bad idea, of course.

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 30):
Sounds like a winner.....interesting that IAH-BON was such a success. Will CO have two airplanes on the ground at Bonaire every Sunday morning this winter?

IAH-BON operates Friday night/Saturday morning, so they will have aircraft at BON consecutive mornings. I don't know if things have changed by now in Bonaire, but some of the resorts hadn't yet gotten all the kinks worked out for early morning arrivals when I was there roughly a month after the start of the IAH-BON route. The main issues are just getting rooms cleaned/changed over and/or insufficent space to temporarily store luggage and/or unavailability of a courtesy room for the early arrivals.

But yeah, these flights are fantastic for dive tourism to Bonaire!

STT757

Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:56 am

It never was seasonal, it's year round nonstop on Sundays.

theLUREnyc

Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:01 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 22):
Whats the problem? CO is surely going to market this as a NY flight cause it is an airport that serves the NY area. So yes CO serves the ABC islands from NY, get over it.

No, they serve it from NEW JERSEY.

Quoting Amazonphil (Reply 27):
Umm...think about this for second. He means, in the NYC area. He probably knows Newark IS in New Jersey.

OK, I've thought about it. . . .
NEWARK IS IN NEW JERSEY.

STT757

Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:10 am

Quoting TheLUREnyc (Reply 33):

NEWARK IS IN NEW JERSEY.

Newark Airport is a NYC Airport, get over it.

rampart

Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:27 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 34):
Newark Airport is a NYC Airport, get over it.

Don't worry, TheLUREnyc is actually from Connecticut (a state without a real airport)... so shouldn't his name be TheLureCT?... anyhow, his loss if he can't come to grips with crossing the Hudson to take advantage of the service and good deals out of EWR.

-Rampart

theLUREnyc

Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:43 am

Quoting Rampart (Reply 36):
Don't worry, TheLUREnyc is actually from Connecticut (a state without a real airport)... so shouldn't his name be TheLureCT?...

Bradley International Airport (Hartford) is not a real airport? WOW was that a stupid statement you just made! In fact, we have many. Any field where a plane can land and take-off is an airport. See how that works, Rampart?

And the screen name i have (theLUREnyc) refers to a gay leather-fetish bar. It was in Manhattan. Which is in New York. Thus 'nyc'.
A lilbit more clear now?

Quoting Rampart (Reply 36):
his loss if he can't come to grips with crossing the Hudson to take advantage of the service and good deals out of EWR.

Since WN flies from BDL and keeps everyone elses fares down, we have far better deals out of BDL than anything EWR offers - -so I have no need to drive all the way to the h*ll-hole that is EWR (not to mention the GWB traffic).

Did I address all your concerns? Hope so!

AussieItaliano

Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:54 am

Everyone knows that EWR is located in NJ, so there's no reason to have to post it over and over again.

If you can show me that many of the pax who will take this flight do not live in NY, then I'll agree with you that CO is not serving Bonaire from NYC.

Maronna mia, why does this have to turn into the usual NY vs. NJ BS.
Third Runway - LHR, Second Runway - LGW, Build Them Both!!!

STT757

Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am

Quoting AussieItaliano (Reply 38):
Maronna mia, why does this have to turn into the usual NY vs. NJ BS.

Started by someone from Connecticut no less.

theLUREnyc

Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:08 am

Quoting AussieItaliano (Reply 38):
If you can show me that many of the pax who will take this flight do not live in NY, then I'll agree with you that CO is not serving Bonaire from NYC.

Show you what? Many of the people who fly from EWR also live in PA, NJ and even CT.

But the fact remains that NEWARK IS IN NEW JERSEY..
And thats all i ever said in the beginning. Originally someone said CO now serves all the ABC airports from NY. But EWR airport is in NJ. So they serve the ABC islands from NJ. And yes, New Yorkers cross the river to NJ to use that airport.

A little more clear now? Why be so upset? God did I hit a raw nerve!

letsgetwet

Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:24 am

Most of the Bonaire resorts will hold your luggage on arrival and give you a Brunch while you waiting for your room. (small fee) They will also provide you with a place to change so you can do your check out dive.
The IAH flight is always packed ( I know, I'm a diver with CO flt. benefits and it's almost impossible to non-rev this flt.) Maybe now, with the extra EWR flt. it will open up a few seats.
Now lets keep our fingers crossed for a flt to Turks & Caicos Provo.

[Edited 2006-08-01 04:27:13]

ScottB

Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:35 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 32):

For some reason I recall seeing it marked as being seasonal on the route map this past spring. Curacao has great diving, too; I'm surprised more folks haven't discovered it.

ACAfan

Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:51 am

Quoting TheLUREnyc (Reply 40):

WTF?

By your logic, CVG is not a Cincinnati airport and completely worthless since it is in Kentucky.
Freddie Laker ... May be at peace with his maker ... But he is a persona non grata ... with IATA

CALMSP

Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:01 pm

highfive  excellent point ACAfan...........TheLUREnyc apparently doenst have the mindset that the New York metropolitan area includes Newark.

STT757

Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:28 pm

Also using that logic New Jersey has two NFL Franchises (Giants NFC, Jets AFC) and NY has one (Buffalo Bills AFC).

PlanesNTrains

Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:10 pm

Quoting TheLUREnyc (Reply 40):
And thats all i ever said in the beginning. Originally someone said CO now serves all the ABC airports from NY. But EWR airport is in NJ. So they serve the ABC islands from NJ. And yes, New Yorkers cross the river to NJ to use that airport.

A little more clear now? Why be so upset? God did I hit a raw nerve!

I don't think it was a raw nerve. I think it was a pointless, well, point.

Quoting ACAfan (Reply 43):
By your logic, CVG is not a Cincinnati airport and completely worthless since it is in Kentucky.

Exactly what I was thinking. I guess we need to stop talking about Delta's Cincinnati hub and start announcing new service from Covington, KY, to XYZ airport each time they add a flight. Because as we all know, CVG IS IN KENTUCKY!

-Dave
-Dave

rampart

Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:53 pm

Quoting TheLUREnyc (Reply 37):
Did I address all your concerns? Hope so!

Lure"CT",

My only concern is whether the border guards confiscated your sense of humor when you were forced out of NYC.

Say "hi" to all the cute little 737s and RJs at Bradley for me! Oh, and the Cessnas at all your other little fields that permit takeoffs and landings.

-Rampart

A388

Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:23 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 32):

The CUR flight operates on Saturdays, not Sundays. Does anyone know how CO is doing on the CUR flights? How are the loads? I heard a rumor that we (CUR tourist bureau)) are trying to get a second flight from CO but don't know what the status is so far. Haven't heard about it in a long time either. I really hope the CUR flights will become very succesful as well as we need more tourists here. It's a shame that everybody knows AUA and BON is gaining popularity as well while almost nobody knows about CUR which is a great island too with lots of nice beaches (better than AUA some say) and lots of culture.

A388

[Edited 2006-08-01 09:24:52]

theLUREnyc

Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:21 am

Quoting Rampart (Reply 46):
Say "hi" to all the cute little 737s and RJs at Bradley for me! Oh, and the Cessnas at all your other little fields that permit takeoffs and landings.

Size queen.

NEWARK IS STILL IN NEW JERSEY.

SHUPirate1

Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:29 am

Quoting Rampart (Reply 35):

Don't worry, TheLUREnyc is actually from Connecticut (a state without a real airport)... so shouldn't his name be TheLureCT?... anyhow, his loss if he can't come to grips with crossing the Hudson to take advantage of the service and good deals out of EWR.

-Rampart

Does it need to be mentioned that there isn't a single square inch of land in the entire state of Connecticut that is part of the New York City Metropolitan Area?
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!