Birdwatching
Topic Author

Good Old Days: Mail Sent For Free From The Plane

Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:51 am

Thinking back to the "golden days", which for me were the 80s (sorry I'm not old enough to have experienced the really good times), I remember when flying longhaul I always wrote a couple of letters to friends, my grandparents and one to myself. The envelopes, paper and postcards, all airline themed, were available in pockets on the bulkheads. The passengers would give the letters to the cabin crew, and after arrival the letters were mailed from the destination. This was on Germany-South America Lufthansa flights. They mailed as many letters as you wanted to, and it was free.

Which other airlines did this? When did it stop? Do you remember this practice at all?

Soren

[Edited 2006-07-31 21:54:44]
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

cambrian

RE: Good Old Days: Mail Sent For Free Fom The Plane

Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:53 am

Swiss still have postcards in their bulkheads, along with timetables and often pens etc.

It is a nice touch. I am not sure about mailing it though!

sllevin

RE: Good Old Days: Mail Sent For Free From The Plane

Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:14 am

JL has postcards and stuff as well; I don't know that they mail things for you, though. They probably would if you were in the J or F cabin and asked nicely.

Steve

ATLTraveler

Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:17 am

I had forgotten to drop my stamped post cards into a mailbox in Auckland. So I requested the Air New Zealand staff nicely if they could drop them back into the mailbox when they got back. They refused saying that the US law did not allow them do that. They were not nice about it either. I asked two different members of the crew..same dry answer...so I now have half a dozen unmailed cards  Smile

antares

Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:48 am

Qantas and TEAL later Air New Zealand had in flight letters and envelopes in first class, posting complimentary.

But they also had cigars, and roast lamb on a spit, rare at one end and well done at the other, cut to your choice at your seat. And no it wasn't barbequed on board. It was cooked to perfection shortly before doors closed. You could smell the feast as it was loaded onto the 707s and DC-8s.

Antares

zrs70

Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:03 am

Singapore airlines F class has stationary kits at each seat. The will mail your letters free of charge, worldwide.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

Jonno

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:18 pm

Quoting ATLTraveler (Reply 3):

"Can you give me better service?" "I'm sorry, sir... the Law does not allow us to give good service." Just as ridiculous.
 biting 

miami1

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:34 pm

Quoting ATLTraveler (Reply 3):
They refused saying that the US law did not allow them do that.

Quoting Jonno (Reply 6):
the Law does not allow us to give good service.

Think about it. The airlines has no process in place through its administration or catering areas to mail postage for customers. So what do you want the individual crew to do? Take it for you, clear customs/security with it - not only in US but again in NZ, and then post it on arrival???

1. It is a big ask anyway. Quite a favour I think.

2. Would anyone in their right mind(!) accept packages, mail or postcards and carry them on behalf of a stranger? Granted a postcard cannot conceal any device/drugs/prohibited items. But it could carry traces of drug or explosive residue. Where would the crew member stand in that situation if it were detected? "Oh but this customer gave it to me. He seemed OK and I just wanted to give good service..." Yeah right.

The crew did not have to be rude but I would at least be quite frank to you about the issues involved. With all due respect (seriously) you are ignorant to think that these crew are failing to give you good service or are wrong in any way. Only a fool would do as you requested.

They are flight attendants NOT post men. It is nice when people go above and beyond for customers. But to do so in this case would be plainly foolish.

superhub

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:12 am

CX doesn't have them in seat pockets. But you can ask for them from the crew. And as long as you put your letter in a CX envelope, then CX will mail it for you too.

ATLTraveler

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:31 am

Quoting Miami1 (Reply 7):
2. Would anyone in their right mind(!) accept packages, mail or postcards and carry them on behalf of a stranger? Granted a postcard cannot conceal any device/drugs/prohibited items. But it could carry traces of drug or explosive residue. Where would the crew member stand in that situation if it were detected? "Oh but this customer gave it to me. He seemed OK and I just wanted to give good service..." Yeah right.

Well..that sounds good in theory but a lot of airlines do accept post cards/letters for mailing. I have travelled on quite a few airlines. A Kuwait Airways staff member was more than happy to do it for me as well as a singapore airlines lady who said no problem at all.

just my 2 cents !

Jonno

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:42 am

I HARDLY think mailing a postcard for a passenger who's shelled out hundreds or thousands of dollars is a Capital Crime. Rather than hide behind the law, why not just say you're too bleeding cranky and lazy to perform a favour? If hundreds of passengers did this daily, I could understand. It just sounds like sour grapes and crap attitude to me.

miami1

Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:50 pm

There is a difference between the airline having a service where they post pax mail through a set procedure with catering or admin process and an individual crew member taking possession of the item. Can you not see the ramification of a crew member taking personal possession of the item and clearing security and customs with it? You have not addressed my point in that regard.

Yes in years gone by crew would collect postage items and pass on in a bag to the catering company or cleaning or admin departments who would post the letters - it would have been a service offered by the airline who would take responsibilty. This is completely different to a crew member assuming individual responsibility for the item.

Lets say I offered to post your item on my own accord (ie. the company doesn't offer the service but I am going above and beyond)... What would happen if the item now in my possession was swab-tested and foind position to drug or explosive residue? Think about it, Jonno.

roseflyer

Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:58 pm

To go back to the original post about Lufthansa doing this, I believe they still will for first class passengers. They have letterhead availabe for use and those same pockets with post cards and other materials. I'm not sure if this is available for business class, but I doubt it is for economy.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!