RE: AirTran Decides Not To Start TPA-CUN

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:07 am

thank high fuel prices and Wilma.
The voice of moderation

PVD757
Topic Author

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:40 am

well, it's only 550 miles away and NK is dumping the route in less than 2 weeks.

I remember reading an article about TPA being really happy about getting CUN service. They went from 2 airlines applying for the rights, to niether offering the service!

John

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:56 am

I honestly can not understand the allure of CUN and why practically every airline in North America wants to fly there...it's a leisure LOW yield market, for the most part.

travatl

Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:01 am

At least it shows there's still intention to begin ATL-CUN service. I imagine the company is waiting through this year's hurricane season to see if it get's hit again. If not, it's likely we'll see service started by the holidays.

- Travis

B6WNQX

Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:01 am

Anyone have any ideas if anyone will come in to offer that service? Maybe B6 with an E190 or DL. It would be cool to have Frontier offer service, although unlikely.

spinkid

Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:02 am

It is leisure and low yeild, but just like Las Vegas and Orlando, you can count on it to fill seats up. so while it might not be a giant money maker, it is consistent.

I think the Cancun market is still trying to rebound from the Hurricane. It was a market that seemed to be growing and growing before that and has taken a few steps back.

Rookinla

Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:09 am

Quoting PVD757 (Reply 2):
I remember reading an article about TPA being really happy about getting CUN service. They went from 2 airlines applying for the rights, to niether offering the service!

Hmmm...sounds like MCO as well...THREE airlines dogfighting for the route...NK, FL and DL. FL only wanted weekend service but didn't want to compete with 2 other carriers so they dropped their route request. NK didn't want to compete with DL so...BAM...they dropped their request for authority. And guess what...what a shocker...after running NK and FL off by applying for 1X Daily 2-Class 738 service to CUN (That I'm sure they had no intention of ever flying) ...DL drops their application! Imagine that! DL doesn't want to build up MCO any more except for some dog RJ routes but they are trying to defend "their" turf against competing airlines. Free competition? No...as much as I like DL I think this borders on predatory competition. Flame away if you like, but I feel that the DOT should be able to levy fees on airlines committing this practice. I feel pretty certain that at least FL would have actually started this route...serving the public interest. Delta (and others) should NOT be able to play "Guard the Bone". Apply and then fly. Walk away and you pay! Just my $.02..... We'll see if they actually start the recently applied for MCO-MEX...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos