kaitak

The Ninth Life - The New Irish Aviation Thread!

Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:08 am

Wilkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome (and for the sake of completeness, Failte Romhaibh!). You've reached the new Irish Aviation Thread; if your surfing plans don't include Irish aviation, now would be a good time to catch a wave.

Well, here we are, into what should be a quiet month, but with Aer Lingus privatisation around the corner and a very frenetic political season coming up (leading to a general election in May/June), I think we have a lot of excitement ahead of us.

Interesting news today from Aer Lingus, with baggage charges being introduced, but also online check in (good!) and seat selection (even better!). I actually think it's quite a good move; the baggage limit is quite generous (unlike FR, which rather sneakily reduced its limit). Expect more interesting announcements this month, as EI attempts to drum up investor support for privatisation ...

And expect some announcements from the govt; the main announcement should be about new US access; with such intense competition on short haul, investors will be particularly anxious to see signs of growth potential on long haul; having a deal in place, which allows EI the ability to grow on long haul routes (particularly the US) would be very welcome.

Of course, it's not all EI; we should now how the new Dublin Terminal 2 will look - and how long it's likely to last before the new one is needed (I was going to write "built" instead of "needed" - two totally different things!), but if lessons have been learned, we will see in the months ahead. Planning for the new terminal complex needs to start as soon as possible - and that includes Metro access.

Of course, the news we're all waiting for later this year is EI's fleet decision, but we'll probably be at thread 15-20 before that happens! Let's focus on the "Now"!

shamrock350

RE: The Ninth Life - The New Irish Aviation Thread!

Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:59 pm

I have been looking at some photos of the new terminal at Cork and I see why many people were not to impressed seeing as it was a terminal that was very late and over budget. It still looks great I hope everything goes well!
There are some great photos of the terminal at cork-spotters, http://www.cork-spotters.com/photo/index.php
Does anyone know why the "fleet" section on aerlingus.com is down? When you click on "fleet" the "redirect" page comes up. I thought it was something to do with updating the aircraft numbers but it's been ages.

Provance

Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:53 am

American Airlines to begin Chicago service from Shannon

American Airlines has announced flights from Shannon to Chicago.

They will start operating the services from October 29th, using a Boeing 767 aircraft.

This route will replace the existing Shannon to Boston services.

AA says it will allow passengers from the Irish west coast to link up with its international hub in Chicago.
EI, FR, BD, RE, UA, XL, US,

smokeyrosco

Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:55 am

As far as i know this will be ORD-DUB-SNN-ORD,

Will this just be for the winter i wonder?
John Hancock

Provance

Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:00 am

I think its just American Airlines way of saying that they are dropping the BOS routes

Smokeyrosco, you are correct, it will operate as follows

Departs: Arrives:
Chicago 7:15 p.m. Dublin 8:35 a.m. (next day)
Dublin 10:05 a.m. Shannon 10:50 a.m.
Shannon 12:50 p.m. Chicago 3:05 p.m.

ryanairCRL

Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:44 am

why do most (all ??) of the airlines do a stop by SNN. DL, CO, AA, EI. if i'm not mistaking, most of them do the short haul between DUB-SNN everytime.

What's the reason for that ? is there such a demand in West Ireland fo US-bound flights ?
http://flyingtom.myphotoalbum.com

smokeyrosco

Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:47 am

I've been thinking about Cityjet getting the new aircraft, since they are replacing their aircraft (I know a some are leased), what are the chances of them selling them and if they can sell them how much would they get for them?
John Hancock

kaitak

Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:30 am

Selling second (or third or fourth-) hand 146-200s? I think we'd be talking scrap value here. I wouldn't be too optimistic!

As for US carriers serving Shannon, they are obliged to split services 50/50 between SNN and DUB. The reason for this decision, I would think, is that while SNN-BOS does fine in Summer, I'd say it's dead in Winter, BUT in order to keep DUB-ORD going, they need to pay for it by routing it through SNN. I'd say they're none too happy about it, but hopefully this is the last year they'll have to do it. With any luck EU/US Open Skies will be in place by then, OR the govt will be able to get a special dispensation to operate on the basis of the mini-deal negotiated last year.

kaitak

Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:29 am

Oh, the poor old DAA. Things just don't work for them, do they? Quite apart from not being able to design a new terminal - or at least one designed to cater for capacity 5-10 years down the road, the DAA has now shown itself incapable of designing a tent. Yes, a tent. The local planning authority, Fingal County Council, has rejected the DAA's proposals for a tent structure on the roof of the car park, asking the DAA for move info, due to what it feared would be an adverse visual impact. The DAA has therefore scrapped these plans for this year and will have them in place for next year ... hopefully.

smokeyrosco

Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:12 pm

I think MOL was right and they should just put it up anyway.
John Hancock

abc9

Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:27 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 8):
Oh, the poor old DAA. Things just don't work for them, do they? Quite apart from not being able to design a new terminal - or at least one designed to cater for capacity 5-10 years down the road, the DAA has now shown itself incapable of designing a tent. Yes, a tent. The local planning authority, Fingal County Council, has rejected the DAA's proposals for a tent structure on the roof of the car park, asking the DAA for move info, due to what it feared would be an adverse visual impact. The DAA has therefore scrapped these plans for this year and will have them in place for next year ... hopefully.

Let's not be too hasty to lay all the blame at the feet of the DAA - the planning authorities in Ireland are nortoriously fickle - even if you're fortunate enough to get past the local council, there's still Bord Pleanala and the likes of An Taisce to worry about. I'm surprised that this has'nt gone through mind, normally infrastructural developments or schemes deemed to be "in the common good" get through the first stage. It's only after this that the green types start jumping all over them.

Personally I thought a tent was most appropriate for the circus that is Dublin Airport !

EI321

Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:27 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 8):

In fairness, its unfair to blame the DAA here. They are not in business of designing either tents ot terminals. Like any company - public or private - they employ professionals to do this. It is actually perfectly normal that the planning authority issue a request for more info for a project such as this. A request for more info does not imply that the authority has rejected the proposal.

pilot21

Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:06 pm

Quoting EI321 (Reply 11):
In fairness, its unfair to blame the DAA here. They are not in business of designing either tents ot terminals. Like any company - public or private - they employ professionals to do this.

True, but I think the blame has to be laid at their door for the initial mistake which was that the DAA thought they could erect the tent without any planning permission at all. They then delightfully told the press about their plans, which is when the CC stepped in and said..ehh no!

On a slightly more positive note, today's Irish Times is reporting that Pembroke (which rose from the GPA ashes) has been bought out by it's Mgt from shareholders RR and GATX.
While it isn't the largest leasing company out there (20 aircraft on the books) it is looking at further orders, and manages a portfolio of over 100 aircraft for banks that foreclosed on them after 9/11 and the aviation downturn.
Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

smokeyrosco

Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:13 pm

Quoting EI321 (Reply 11):
In fairness, its unfair to blame the DAA here. They are not in business of designing either tents ot terminals.

Yep they are in the business of running airports and they are not going a great job there either.
John Hancock

shamrock350

Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:57 pm

Aer Lingus announces partnership with Ryder Cup European team.
http://www.flyaerlingus.com/cgi-bin/...8049&Category=0&NEWS_OID=536885695
Good for them!

Eirules

Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:05 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
And expect some announcements from the govt; the main announcement should be about new US access; with such intense competition on short haul, investors will be particularly anxious to see signs of growth potential on long haul; having a deal in place, which allows EI the ability to grow on long haul routes (particularly the US) would be very welcome

Care to shed a little light on this one Kaitak? I personlly think we could see CO flying from IAH and AA from either MIA or DFW (whichever one EI choses not to launch). After that (and NW which Im assuming is a done deal) it only really leaves UA (from IAD??)
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

shamrock350

Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:09 pm

Aer Lingus is the 5th most punctual airline in the UK for the first three months of this year, hopefully they remained at that high position during the rest of the year.
http://www.flightontime.info/scheduled/scheduled.html

kaitak

Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:23 am

Hi EIRules, the current problem is that although the govt has concluded a mini- bilateral, this was subject to the EU/US deal becoming a reality; this is not impossible, but is seen as very unlikely, due to US legislators' obstacles - largely due to the mid-term elections. If this doesn't happen, the Irish-US deal would be delayed too, BUT the minister has said that he is trying to negotiate an exception, whereby the Irish deal (or something similar) can go ahead. What the EU will think of this is another think and the info I have is that they're begin obstructive.

There is a provision whereby a country can negotiate with another country, with which the EU is conducting negotiations, as long as the deal reached doesn't put any other EU state at a competitive disadvantage; now, since our deal will still tie DUB capacity to SNN's, it can't be said to put any other country at a disadvantage. However, will the EU see it this way? I hope so.

The govt knows, of course, that privatisation of EI is imminent and they surely understand that to get a better price for EI, and to improve the success of the privatisation, having in place some deal on privatisation will be essential. Otherwise, institutional investors may not be interested. Remember, the govt is trying to dissuade small shareholders, with a min. investment of EUR10k, so that will exclude the grannies (and others) investing for sentimental reasons; those who spend that amount of money will want and expect a good investment and return, and thus they will want to see that EI can build its long haul market without silly restrictions. If they don't get it ...

Shamrock330

Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:39 am

The fleet page on aerlingus.com is back up and with absolutely no changes.

A bit surprising, considering that there are two A330's on the way, and I was hoping to see some indication of future fleet orders.

kaitak

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:08 am

You won't see any info on future fleet orders; this is still under active and intense consideration and you won't see anything before the privatisation anyway.

The one thing I'm still not 100% clear on, by the way, is: how many A320s are coming next year? As far as I can see it's three; is this correct?

Also, good(-ish) news for EI today, possibly even better news for SIPTU - the airline has accepted the Labour court's recommendations and the new pay deal negotiated by SIPTU. The airline's employees will do very well out of the privatisation; I would if the same will be said for investors?

If anything, this deal will only increase pressure on the govt to ensure that the new Irish/US bilateral is in place before the privatisation takes place, so that Aer Lingus can be seen to have clearly agreed new access to the US.

shamrock350

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:25 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 19):
it's three; is this correct?

I thought it was two for next June where did you hear about a third 320?

kaitak

Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:59 am

That's what I'm trying to clarify! Anyone else know what the position is?

I got a letter today from the EU Commission, in response to one I sent them a few weeks back, in relation to our US access. It's quite legalistic, but let me paraphrase it:

- Agreement reached in 11/05 subject to outcome of ongoing US rulemaking process, to invest in US carriers.

- EU expects this by end of Summer.

- Transport Council will meet on 12th October 2006. This is D Day. If, as hoped, the US comes up with something that's acceptable to the EU Transport Council then, we're at "all systems go". If not ...

- (As we know), at the request of our government, a special transitional agreement was agreed which, subject to the 12/10/06 meeting (or 10/12/06, for our American friends!), will take effect for "three traffic seasons", commencing on the 29th October.

- (Goes on to set out legal basis for any direct negotiations between Ireland and the US, under Reg 847/04. The EU will judge any agreement between a member state on the basis of whether it's compatible with EU Law and whether it would undermine EU negotiations. However, the EU is working to ensure that the outcome of negotiations with the US would be acceptable to the Transport Council and consequently, the need for negotiations should not arise.

So, the 12th October is THE BIG DAY. This, of course, is after EI's privatisation, so there'll be a few nervous days for investors. Let's hope things go right and that the Americans will come up with something acceptable. I'm pinning some hope, rightly or wrongly, on the fact that EU ownership/control of US carriers is only sought by one or two countries (the UK and possibly Germany), so hopefully the other 23-24, like ourselves, will vote for a deal and that the UK couldn't torpedo it, even if it wanted to.

kaitak

Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:04 am

Of course, one final point: even if the deal goes ahead on the 12th, it's really too late for the 2006 Winter season, so we'll still be doing DUB-SNN-BOS for the Winter. I wonder if US airlines can change their operating plans; I assume they'll wait for Summer.

The other possibility is that with US mid-term elections just a month away, there is a chance of furious objections from the US Congress, which may include legal action to nullify the DOT's plans and consequently, to undermine the agreement. Let's hope common sense prevails, however.

shamrock350

Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:44 am

According to Jethros fleet listing, Aer Lingus have 2 A320 aircraft on order for next June. The page was last updated on the 28th of June.
http://www.jethros.i12.com/fleets/fleet_listings/aer_lingus.htm

smokeyrosco

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:28 am

If memory servers me right on EI, they where suppose to receive 2 aircraft this year, they are however only getting (got) one, EI-DET. now, I believe EI purchased 2 320's for next year and they where to lease one as EI so often does on roughly a 2:1 basis, but all signals at the moment seem to point to EI only getting 2 320's. so i'm a bit lost too and i don't know whats going on. Jethro is usually fairly accurate though (although i do think he has 2 320's for delivery this year up at one stage).

Below on 16th of Dec shows 2 additional aircraft for Delivery in 06

http://www.jethros.i12.com/previous/previous_monthly_updates/05dec.htm
John Hancock

EI787

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:39 am

A memorial park has been opened to remember those lost in the 1968 crash of the Aer Lingus Viscount.

Quote:
Tuskar crash memorial park opened

05 August 2006 22:26

A memorial park to remember those who lost their lives in an air crash off the southeast coast was opened in Co Wexford today.

Relatives and friends of some of those who died in the Tuskar Rock air tragedy attended the opening in Rosslare.

Sixty one people were killed when an Aer Lingus plane travelling from Cork to London crashed near Tuskar Rock in March 1968.

Only 14 bodies were ever recovered from the sea.

The park has been established by the Rosslare/Kilrane Environment Group.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0805/tuskar.html?rss

Also see this:

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/2163140.smil

It is the news report from tonight's 9pm news which has footage from the recovery operation back in 1968.

kaitak

Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:06 pm

Interesting little snippet in today's Sunday Indo; this weekend is apparently the busiest ever, which is probably not a surprise, although what is most interesting is the growth in long haul destinations - South Africa, Canada, Asia doing well and Japan emerging.

Hopefully, this will act as a spur to encourage new routes to these areas and to sort out regulatory issues.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independe...p3?ca=36&si=1666609&issue_id=14467

Eirules

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:15 pm

I am amazed with all of the talk of EI launching flights to HKG or BKK or SIN I just cannot understand why they are not looking at China. WIth all of the Chinese people coming to Ireland to learn English and all of the 1billion+ people in China now entering the tourist market surely EI could fill that route no problem

kaitak

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:12 am

It's not impossible, but I personally think that the best option for EI in Asia is HKG. With Cathay now having taken over Dragonair, they have such a wide reach (including all major Chinese cities) and although EI is no longer in oneworld, CX is a very good fit. Of course, HKG is a relatively expensive airport to operate to, but it's far better for China than SIN or BKK. Mind you, I was amazed to read about SQ's increase in services to China; 5 DAILY to Shanghai alone from next year. If only I knew a Chinese expletive!

Once they have a foothold in Asia and can determine which routes are doing better than others, they can look at the various options; if China is doing particularly well, there's no reason why they can't start a service to PVG or PEK - perhaps in time for the 2008 Olympics. Maybe a Chinese carrier could start the service and codeshare with EI? MU, CZ and CA are getting (indeed having already received) A330-200s, which would be ideal.

Again, I repeat, it's not just pax traffic: cargo traffic is going to be big and we need to make sure our exports are as competitive as possible in the Asian markets - and that means making sure cargo access is convenient and economic. No point in relying on en route points like FRA, AMS, CDG etc.

I know HEL has a geographic advantage, being able to establish itself as a hub, but I can't help feeling a little annoyed when I see how successful AY has been in settling establishing so many routes to Asia: PEK, PVG, CAN, BKK, SIN, NRT, KIX, NGO; they're way ahead of us and their population isn't much bigger than ours. We've got to start pushing throttles forward a bit ...

Eirules

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:03 am

I completely agree about AY, I think they have done an excellent job with what are relatively limited resources (here I mean population and not a huge amount of natural attractions to HEL like the way for example New York or Washington would have in USA, or Paris or Amsterdam, I hope Im making sense). I think AY is def an example to follow for EI

EI787

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:20 am

I remember in a previous Irish Aviation Thread that there were rumours that some airlines were refusing to use the new airbridge at Cork due to such high charges.

However, on the Cork Airport site, it shows that use of the airbridge for 30 minutes is €7.50.

Compare that to Dublin where use of the airbridge for 30 minutes is €9.00!

I don't know if Dublin is expensive in comparison to other European airports, but it seems that Cork's charges are definitely not extortionate!

Does anyone have updates on the new terminal at ORK? Any problems with it?

shamrock350

Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:02 am

Quoting EI787 (Reply 30):
Any problems with it?

I have heard of no problems let but it's still only handling arrivals, maybe after the 14th we might start hearing of a few small problems.
I dont think Ryanair will use the air bridge because with an air bride you have only one door in use plus the charge whereas with no air bridge you get the use of two doors and a faster turn around. With EI thinking as a LCC I don't think they will use the air bridge either.

planemanofnz

Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:27 pm

For obvious reasons such as no spare planes, leaving oneworld e.t.c, wouldn't it be better to think of an asian carrier coming to DUB? I think that the most likely would be TG with the new 772ERs that they are getting later in the year. I also think BKK could be reached from DUB using 777's, but not 340's. CX don't have suitable aircraft for DUB, MH is re-positioning itself with probably no expansion in the near future and SQ's 777's wouldn't make it from DUB to SIN with the current runway length, so TG would definately be the best option.

Would SQ ever consider tagging DUB onto somewhere like AMS, CDG, CPH or MAN, like they do with ZRH-MAN and MXP-BCN?

When is something going to be announced formally about the whole EK/EI codeshare agreement through DXB to Asia?

shamrock350

Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:07 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 32):
For obvious reasons such as no spare planes

After the part sell off that might not be a problem.
US routes are Aer Lingus' priority for 2007 and beyond so expansion into Asia can wait until 2008 and by then they might have a few more A330s or longer range aircraft.  pray 

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 32):
When is something going to be announced formally about the whole EK/EI codeshare agreement through DXB to Asia?

It's been very quiet these last few months maybe we will hear something after September.

EI321

Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:34 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 24):
If memory servers me right on EI, they where suppose to receive 2 aircraft this year, they are however only getting (got) one, EI-DET. now, I believe EI purchased 2 320's for next year and they where to lease one as EI so often does on roughly a 2:1 basis, but all signals at the moment seem to point to EI only getting 2 320's. so i'm a bit lost too and i don't know whats going on. Jethro is usually fairly accurate though (although i do think he has 2 320's for delivery this year up at one stage).

Below on 16th of Dec shows 2 additional aircraft for Delivery in 06

EI had been looking to lease an additional one or two A320s (like the two all white A320s from swiss in 2004) for the summer season aswell but this has yet to materialise.

shamrock350

Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:47 am

Unfortunately there is no photography at any times in the departure area of the Cork Terminal. I think it's fine for the rest of the terminal well I hope it is anyway.

shamrock350

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:16 pm

Cork Airport has one air bridge and when pier extensions are added it has the capability to have a total of 19 air bridges, all extensions are expected to be finished in 2009 (I would make that 2011 seeing as how late the terminal was).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_Airport

kaitak

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:21 pm

Shamrock 350, when you say there's no photography in the terminal, do you mean there's no photography, or have they gone EL AL?

Interesting prospect coming up for DUB; apparently, CX is considering using DUB as a freighter destination. That would be really good; CX has increased its cargo operation significantly in recent years, with 744s being acquired from SA and SQ for conversion to freighters (BCFs). HKG, as I mentioned above, is ideally placed as an Asian hub and given the govt's wish to develop new links to Asia, it would be very good to get a route there.

I hope runway length will not be an obstacle.

shamrock350

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:34 pm

Kaitak, my sister told me that once you are in the departures area no photos are permitted to be taken by anyone. I rarely see her so I asked her as much as possible when I saw her last week.

kaitak

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:55 pm

Sheesh, that's a bit severe; they don't have that in DUB or SNN (or maybe they do and no one takes a blind bit of notice). I wonder who was the Brainiac who thought of that. It's not as if they have any particularly security sensitive traffic.

ryanairCRL

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:04 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 39):
SNN (or maybe they do and no one takes a blind bit of notice)

I've never seen anything like it, at least in SNN.
and airport police has never said anything when I stand on the apron taking pictures
http://flyingtom.myphotoalbum.com

shamrock350

Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:17 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 39):
Sheesh, that's a bit severe; they don't have that in DUB or SNN (or maybe they do and no one takes a blind bit of notice). I wonder who was the Brainiac who thought of that. It's not as if they have any particularly security sensitive traffic.

The terminal isn't that good for taking photos anyway, lots of restrictions design wise. The terminal didn't even have any security equipment for the first few days because they were bringing them in from the old terminal.  Wow!

Provance

RE: The Ninth Life - The New Irish Aviation Thread

Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:58 pm

Crikes - 12 new FR routes from DUB

Destination
Starts
Frequency

Oslo (Norway)
Dec
Daily

Madrid (Spain)
Feb
Daily

Tampere (Finland)
Dec
Four Weekly

Vitoria (Spain)
Jan
Four Weekly

Billund (Denmark)
Jan
Four Weekly

Bologna (Italy)
Feb
Four Weekly

Grenoble (France)
Dec
Three Weekly

Friedrichshafen (Germany)
Dec
Three Weekly

Seville (Spain)
Jan
Three Weekly

Pula (Croatia)
Feb
Three Weekly

Almeria (Spain)
Jan
Two Weekly

Rzeszow (Poland)
Jan
Two Weekly

[Edited 2006-08-09 12:00:41]

Provance

Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:09 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 38):
my sister told me that once you are in the departures area no photos are permitted to be taken by anyone.

Apparently, ORK has an exclusive deal with OK magazine (rumoured to be woth €1.7M) for exclusive photographs of the opening of the new terminal  Wink

Danny

Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:14 pm

Quoting Provance (Reply 42):
Oslo (Norway)
Dec
Daily

Madrid (Spain)
Feb
Daily

Are those really Madrid and Oslo or some airports 150km away?

Provance

RE: The Ninth Life - The New Irish Aviation Thread

Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:16 pm

Quoting Danny (Reply 44):

No, the Madrid airport is actually MAD (which I think is the main airport in Madrid)

Olso is infact Torp (not the central airport)

Provance

Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:19 pm

For the first month of travel on each of the new routes, there are 0.01c flight - That works out at €24.00 return inc Taxes etc to MAD - thats unbelievably cheap !!! EI arent going to be to thrilled about this !!!

Toulouse

Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:27 pm

Quoting Danny (Reply 44):

I believe Madrid is effectively MAD (Madrid Barajas) the only international airport in Madrid, yet this surprises me. The first private airport in Spain is currently being built in Ciudad Real (where my wife is from) 200km south of Madrid and is "supposed to enter service in 2007", yet there have been many delays. I always thought Ciudad Real airport, for info see www.donquijoteairport.com would be ideal for FR. It was posted a while back here on a.net that FR were starting new services from various Spanish airports, and I said the same about Ciudad Real and somebody answered saying they had inside infoormation (no idea how true this is) that FR were negotiating a huge deal with the airport. 200km you say? Well it's not as bad as it sounds. Ciudad Real city ahs grown immensly since the AVE (Spanish high speed train) was introduced in 1992 linking Madrid with Ciudad Real on it's way to Cordoba and Sevilla in only 45 minutes, in fact many people moved from Madrid to live there but work in Madrid, I did it for a year, took that train every morning and evening. The new airport will have an AVE station in it and will be linked to Puerta de Atocha railway station in the heart of Madrid in only 45 minutes, similar to the times needed to get from MAD to the city centre by public transport. If true I could see this airport becoming a base for FR, and I don't really see many of the Spanish airlines, especially IB using it as it's private and the only airport in Spain not to be run by AENA, the state aviation body. So I don't know where th FR flights are to, maybe straight to Ciudad Real or maybe MAD just as in interim until the enw airport is operational as February seems a bit early from what I've heard.
Long live Aer Lingus!

Toulouse

Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:30 pm

Quoting Provance (Reply 46):
EI arent going to be to thrilled about this !!!

You can say that again! Poor EI, yet I for one will remain faithful to EI. Yet with just two direct services between MAD and DUB, I've always believed there is sufficient traffic demand for further daily flights. Alot of these routes will hit EI badly though I believe as I've personnally seen here at TLS, after FR entered Carcassonne (nearby) EI dropped the TLS route in winter, and I can see the same happening with Sevilla, Grenoble perhaps could hit the EI flights to Lyon...
Long live Aer Lingus!

BDKLEZ

Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:32 pm

Quoting Provance (Reply 45):
No, the Madrid airport is actually MAD

It more than likely will be MAD (Barajas). The only other realsistic alternative would have been TOJ, but as far as I'm aware, it has an MTOW cap on operations of civil aircraft up to 50,000kgs. Ryanair's operation is rather beyond that on the scale.
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!