mirrodie

Southwest- Best Arpt. If Leaving Frisco

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:01 am

Simply stated, if one was staying in San Fran, which LUV airport would be better to leave from in terms of practicality? speed?

Oakland, which according to googlemaps, seems closer but across a bridge?

or

San Jose?
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

OPNLguy

RE: Southwest- Best Arpt. If Leaving Frisco

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:09 am

If I understand your question correctly it's if SWA had stayed at SFO and had to choose between OAK and SJC, which would it serve?

OAK.

There's the whole east Bay accessible from OAK, plus all the places that BART serves.

The folks in SJC would just need to drive a little further north to SFO...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

EWRandMDW

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:12 am

If you're actually in San Francisco, I would recommend OAK. You can take BART and a connecting bus which I've found to be usually fairly decent and not overly expensive. If you're south of SF, use SJC. I've been to both and it does boil down to your "location", "location", "location".

OPNLguy

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:18 am

Misread his question; sorry...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

WindowSeat

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:21 am

I'm not quite understanding the posters question. Which airport is better if you are flying Southwest?

Hands down OAK over SJC (of course depends where you live of course). But if you weren't flying WN, then of course SFO

Btw, please please do not call it Frisco. San Franciscans absolutely detest it being called Frisco, much less San Fran. It is ALWAYS San Francisco. Big grin

cheers
I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

mymorningsong

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:41 am

OAK.

Bart to Coliseum. Be sure to have two dollar bills handy for AirBart (10 minute ride to airport).

lincoln

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:49 am

Another vote for OAK and BART...

Quite possibly the only mass transportation system in California that actually works well. It really is painless to get from the Airport the the Colliseum BART station (via AirBart) to just about anywhere in San Francisco.

Lincoln

(Last time I was leaving San Fransisco via OAK, the "Your Driver Today" sign was "Akilla U."...try saying it aloud)
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

BigGSFO

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:57 am

Quoting WindowSeat (Reply 4):
Btw, please please do not call it Frisco. San Franciscans absolutely detest it being called Frisco, much less San Fran. It is ALWAYS San Francisco.

Agreed. Avoid the term "Frisco", or "San Fran." The residents here call it "San Francisco" or simply, "the City." You might come across a purist who will get fussy!  Smile

And yes, from the City, OAK is by far the best choice for Southwest. Givce yourself plenty of time as the lines at OAK can be looooonnnnnnggggg.

STT757

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:12 pm

Depending on where your staying Oakland is better, however San Jose is a nice little airport and the traffic if you hit it at the right time of day is not bad.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Slovacek747

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:17 pm

I'll call it Frisco thank you ver much. Much easier to say.
While OAK is closer to downtown Frisco, Oakland is has got to be one of the shittiest cities in the country and would avoid it and just go down to SJC...Plus you can pass SFO on the way and watch some beauties land and takeoff.

Slovacek747

futuresdpdcop

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:18 pm

Depends where you're headed off to as well. OAK is a bigger station and more non-stop choices if you're flying east I believe. If you're flying up and down the west coast, either airport will be fine, although OAK is way closer and you can get just about anywhere in the Bay Area from OAK via BART and the other mass trans.

Aaron747

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:57 pm

Seriously...if you're going to call it Frisco just don't bother coming at all.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

pilottim747

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:08 pm

If you do fly end SJC the CalTrain (commuter rail) is a nice way to get from SJC to San Francisco.
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

futuresdpdcop

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:14 pm

Quoting Pilottim747 (Reply 12):
If you do fly end SJC the CalTrain (commuter rail) is a nice way to get from SJC to San Francisco.

After getting off at the Santa Clara/Airport Station ( I think thats what it is, been so long since Ive been on CalTrain), its a short trip on the VTA flyer bus. I even think its free.

AussieItaliano

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:57 pm

Btw, please please do not call it Frisco. San Franciscans absolutely detest it being called Frisco, much less San Fran. It is ALWAYS San Francisco.

First of all, what prompted you to get your panties in a tiff? Second of all, not everyone detests it being called Frisco or San Fran.

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 7):
Agreed. Avoid the term "Frisco", or "San Fran." The residents here call it "San Francisco" or simply, "the City." You might come across a purist who will get fussy!

Yeah, there are a lot of purist fuss-pot, pain in the a$$es around here. I'll agree, but I don't let them tell me what to do.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 11):

Are you kidding me? Who died and appointed you chief immigration officer at SFO?

I love SF, it's a great city, but this mentality that has been demonstrated here is one that has tarnished it. Not many friendly people in the city these days, rather, pig-headedness has taken over. It's time to get some hospitality back.

If people really want to be purists, then I suppose they have to take Spanish pronunciation classes since the way that locals pronounce the name of the city is incorrect.

Long live the city of Saint Francis!
Third Runway - LHR, Second Runway - LGW, Build Them Both!!!

AY104

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:58 pm

Another vote for OAK! I was just there 10 days ago at San Francisco. Took a side trip to Reno out of OAK. Catch BART to Coliseum, go down the escalator and go out the exit on the left. There is an Air BART coach right there, leaves every 10 min., just 2 bucks, make sure you have the correct change, you can use bills also. Makes a stop at Terminal 1 and 2, Southwest was the second terminal. OAK is veeerrrry busy this time of year, tons of a/c movement, mostly Southwest. When I came back on Fri afternoon, I noticed the security lines were huge, so give yourself plenty of time for that. I think the BART fare was $3.85 from Civic Station, you have to use the machines to buy your tickets, and you can specify amt of ticket you want. If in doubt, put in 3 bucks, then at the other end just buy an add-on to the correct fare (the magnetic strip on the ticket records where you leave from, so when you put it in the machine at the end before exiting it will tell you the add-on amount, and gives change up to $4.95. Took me awhile to figure out the system!
Have a great trip!
Carl (AY104)
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

jfrworld

Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:04 pm

Quoting Mirrodie (Thread starter):
Second of all, not everyone detests it being called Frisco or San Fran.

Um, yes they do.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:22 pm

checkmark 

Quoting AussieItaliano (Reply 14):
First of all, what prompted you to get your panties in a tiff? Second of all, not everyone detests it being called Frisco or San Fran.

Whoa there! Apparently you didn't catch his "big grin" smiley after that comment. And nowhere does he say everyone detests "Frisco". In general, San Franciscans don't like hearing it.

johnboy

Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:44 pm

One can also buy a separate BART ticket at a value of $2.00 and use that to get on the AirBART bus. Might not be worthwhile, but sometimes people have leftover tickets with at least that amount on them.

In the past, i've actually used several tickets, which added together, give the required 2 bucks on get on the bus. Don't know if this is frowned upon these days or not though.

Unfortunately, the days of OAK being an uncongested airport are gone (landside anyway). My eyes are always glued to that new baggage claim area when I pass thru there these days. What a huge difference that will make when it (and the gates behind it) open.

nonfirm

Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:13 pm

Take Bart to oak it is the fastest way especially during traffic hours. airplane 

WindowSeat

Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:37 am

First of all, what prompted you to get your panties in a tiff?

Yeah, there are a lot of purist fuss-pot, pain in the a$$es around here. I'll agree, but I don't let them tell me what to do.

Aww... are we getting our panties in a tiff now?

I love SF, it's a great city, but this mentality that has been demonstrated here is one that has tarnished it. Not many friendly people in the city these days, rather, pig-headedness has taken over. It's time to get some hospitality back.

...and this coming from someone who doesn't even live in the city. Now I could call your city names but I won't, because us San Franciscans are very hospitable. We love you too.  wink 

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 17):
Whoa there! Apparently you didn't catch his "big grin" smiley after that comment. And nowhere does he say everyone detests "Frisco". In general, San Franciscans don't like hearing it.

Thank you!
I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

n471wn

Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:57 am

Actually OAK is closer to downtown San Francisco than is SFO----that is why we love OAK so!!

Tom in NO

Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:09 am

Instead of calling it "The City by the Bay", can we all call it "A City By A Body of Water"???  duck 

Of OAK and SJC, I'd choose OAK...

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

sfo212

Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:21 am

One more time for OAK and also for no 'Frisco'. No one here likes that. If you want to shorten it up, just call it "the City" like everyone else in the Bay Area.

I agree with the above, if you can't respect the place you are coming to, just don't come at all.

MCOflyer

Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:27 am

Seven3Seven could answer this question. Hes a f/o based out of OAK for WN. He should know.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

malaysia

Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:18 pm

Ill call it San Furanshiko then  Smile

Anyway I vote for OAK, but last time I was in SFO, I flew in on DH, I sure will miss them.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

ikramerica

Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:42 pm

Yes, they do. They really, really do.

I went to school there, and it was laughable how touchy people are about the name, and about saying ANYTHING negative about anything in the bay area.

Growing up in NYC area, the idea that such a liberal place would be so anal and closed-minded was shocking to me. And the idea that being critical of things was a bad thing was just silly...

Not many friendly people in the city these days, rather, pig-headedness has taken over.

The South Park wirters describe them this way: "smug people smelling their own farts."

I'm going up there in a few weeks, so I'll have to see if that's still the way it is.

Quoting Sfo212 (Reply 23):
call it "the City" like everyone else in the Bay Area.

Which is reeeeeally helpful on an international forum, right?

Anyway, everyone from the New York area knows that "the City" is Manhattan. Duh!

Calling San Francisco "Frisco" is as old as the city's real name. If you want to be a purist, call it Yerba Buena. That was it's name before the Americans changed it after the Spanish American war...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

exFATboy

Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:53 pm

Unless you intend to rent a car and spend most of your time in Santa Clara or San Mateo counties, definitely OAK.

Avoid the term "Frisco", or "San Fran." The residents here call it "San Francisco" or simply, "the City." You might come across a purist who will get fussy!

Quoting Jfrworld (Reply 16):
In general, San Franciscans don't like hearing it.

Yes, this is true - the vast majority of San Franciscans cannot STAND the term "Frisco" for some reason I never grasped in the five years I lived there. For some reason it's regarded as insulting. Don't get it myself.

Just call it "SF" or say the whole name, unless you like people getting pissed off at you for no reason, like when I tell New Yorkers that the minute you go outside the Northeast, if you order a "pie" in a pizzaria you'll get made fun of.  Silly Yes, I have moments where I take the advise of my former manager and "channel my inner a**hole" when necessary.

But please don't call it "The City", that's pretty much something that got started by the annyoing prats at the San Francisco Chronicle, especially the late Herb Caen. We New Yorkers (even transplants like myself) ridicule San Franciscans who engage in this little bit of ego gratifications. We don't take it too seriously, though, because we KNOW that if any one city in the United States is to be called "THE City", it's going to be us, not SF.  Silly

stirling

Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:29 pm

Frisco is two things.

1. A town in Texas north of Dallas.

2. A railroad.

signed,

A San Francisco Native.
Delete this User

TripleP

Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:51 pm

Quoting Stirling (Reply 29):
2. A railroad.

And what was the "Frisco" a nickname for: The St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad.

And while we're on what not to call cities, it's San Antonio not San Antone. But I digress.

KALB

Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:06 am

I'll be going to a conference in Burlingame next year and I intend to fly WN. Is OAK or SJC better?

BigGSFO

Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:26 am

Quoting KALB (Reply 31):
I'll be going to a conference in Burlingame next year and I intend to fly WN. Is OAK or SJC better?

Actually SFO is the absolute closest to Burlingame. Where are you coming from? Is using the code-share on ATA viable? If not, Burlingame is halfway between the two. Depending on the time of day, SJC could be quicker than OAK. The Bay Bridge is under renovation so the traffic can be monstrous coming from OAK. However the 101 freeway from SJC to Burlingame can also be jammed.

jacobin777

Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:43 am

Agreed. Avoid the term "Frisco", or "San Fran." The residents here call it "San Francisco" or simply, "the City." You might come across a purist who will get fussy!

checkmark ...We do tend to be a bit fussy about it............ Smile

Quoting STT757 (Reply 8):
Depending on where your staying Oakland is better, however San Jose is a nice little airport and the traffic if you hit it at the right time of day is not bad.

and if you hit traffic.....prepare to bring a couple of meals....the 101 gets nasty at certain times, and with the 280, though its faster, traffic gets bad when heading right into the city, or merging with the 101...

Quoting Slovacek747 (Reply 9):
I'll call it Frisco thank you ver much. Much easier to say.

thanks being arrogant and for making sure you want to "insult" people.. sarcastic 

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 11):

lol..I like that one... Smile

-might be a bit too "ott" though....

Quoting Pilottim747 (Reply 12):

takes a long time....and is a hassle..not worth it..

But many people do...

take the above recommendation with the BART..its the easiest..or you can take a shuttle from the OAK to your hotel (if you are going to a hotel)..it shouldn't be more than $15-$20 dollars including tip...

cheers..
"Up the Irons!"

pgtravel

Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:06 am

As a native of Los Angeles, I always thought it was funny how much people "up north" hated the term Frisco. But then I moved up there and quickly learned to respect it after I saw how angry people got when someone said "Frisco." There's even a laundromat called "Don't Call it Frisco" up in the City. Crazy, but it's still one of my favorite cities, so I have no problem respecting their wishes.

And OAK is much easier timewise.

KALB

Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:14 am

I would be flying from ALB which is served by WN to BWI and MDW, so if ATA has a MDW-SFO code share with WN I could go that way. If UA has a competitive fare to SFO, I could go with them and listen to channel 9.

pgtravel

Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:34 am

Quoting KALB (Reply 35):
I would be flying from ALB which is served by WN to BWI and MDW, so if ATA has a MDW-SFO code share with WN I could go that way. If UA has a competitive fare to SFO, I could go with them and listen to channel 9.

ATA doesn't fly to SFO anymore. (They even moved Hawai'i flights to OAK.) So if you're bent on flying WN, it's either OAK or SJC for you. If you're driving, I would absolutely go to SJC. Bridge traffic sucks, and SJC means you don't have any. Definitely take 280 instead of 101 though.

If you're taking public transit - they're probably both ok. From SJC you can take a bus to CalTrain and from OAK you can take AirBART to BART. Both will drop you off in Millbrae, fairly close by.

SJCRRPAX

Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:45 am

Quoting KALB (Reply 31):

I am going to be a contrarian here, but maybe that is because I live near SJC. From Burlingame to OAK is 28.9 Miles, but its across the San Mateo Bridge, and up 880. SJC is 30.7 miles and you can use 280 on peak hours or 101 off peak, and no bridge. If I stayed in downtown SF, than I'd use BART and OAK like everyone else, but If I planned to rent a car than I would use SJC.

Must you fly WN? Burlingame is real close to SFO, and sometimes some of the other airlines have great fares like Frontier to LAX. But be careful you might find one of those UA flights to SAN (another thread)

Oh yea, go ahead and call it Frisco or whatever. I'm a native of San Diego, and have lived in San Jose for a long time, and those people that live near that bridge give us no respect either. If you really want to bug them just mention that SJ and SD are bigger cities than SF.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:49 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 32):
the 101

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 33):
the 101

the 280

the 101

Whoa! What's going on here?!? Two Northern Californians are putting "the" in front of freeway names?!? I'm shocked!! That is a Southern California thing!  Big grin

as739x

Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:53 am

From San Francisco, Oakland OAK) is your airport of choice. Easier to get to and closer then SJC. You start to forget how far SJC really is from downtown SF. But with OAK, you see the planes departing right overhead from in the city. Bart makes it very easy, though you tread into Raider's country on the bus to OAK. Not a clean neighborhood, but never really in danger (Unless you have Broncos jersey on) Taking BART from SF-OAK will be much faster then CalTrain SF-SJC.

No ATA at SFO anymore.

And no offence, but we hate when people call it "Frisco", sorry! "The City" or full name!
ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

jacobin777

Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:11 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 39):
Whoa! What's going on here?!? Two Northern Californians are putting "the" in front of freeway names?!? I'm shocked!! That is a Southern California thing!  biggrin 

lol..I've always been saying "the" for a while, and so do all the other people I know in the Bay Area....

Quoting AS739X (Reply 40):
From San Francisco, Oakland OAK) is your airport of choice. Easier to get to and closer then SJC. You start to forget how far SJC really is from downtown SF. But with OAK, you see the planes departing right overhead from in the city. Bart makes it very easy, though you tread into Raider's country on the bus to OAK. Not a clean neighborhood, but never really in danger (Unless you have Broncos jersey on) Taking BART from SF-OAK will be much faster then CalTrain SF-SJC.

checkmark .....its farther than most people think..especially during traffic hours and not using the car-pool lane..

also, traffic over Bay Bridge is never too bad, even during rush hour....its not even close...

And no offence, but we hate when people call it "Frisco", sorry! "The City" or full name!

checkmark ...its getting unanimous on this thread.. biggrin 

No ATA at SFO anymore.

such a shame, I flew to SFO 2-3 times on TZ on their 753's..was fun out of MDW...

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Jacobin777

"Up the Irons!"

N174UA

Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:10 am

Btw, please please do not call it Frisco. San Franciscans absolutely detest it being called Frisco, much less San Fran. It is ALWAYS San Francisco

When I lived down there (I'm a native), my Dad was a private pilot who flew out of San Carlos, as part of a private United Airlines flying club. Anyway, he told me the story (maybe it's just that, or possibly it's true) of another pilot flying into SFO that had an emergency.

Allegedly, the pilot in trouble kept calling out "Frisco tower...this is an emergency!". Well, the tower didn't respond.

So, the distressed pilot again called out "Frisco tower, this an emergency, come in please!" Again, no reply...

Finally...perhaps out of desperation, the pilot called "San Francisco tower, this an emergency". Sure enough, the controller replied and the pilot landed his aircraft at SFO.

I thought you guys would get a kick out of that. It is definitely SAN FRANCISCO.

jacobin777

Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:21 am

Quoting N174UA (Reply 42):

Finally...perhaps out of desperation, the pilot called "San Francisco tower, this an emergency". Sure enough, the controller replied and the pilot landed his aircraft at SFO.

I thought you guys would get a kick out of that. It is definitely SAN FRANCISCO.

lol..that's a nice one..!!
"Up the Irons!"

SJCRRPAX

Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:37 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 41):
lol..I've always been saying "the" for a while, and so do all the other people I know in the Bay Area....

It's without question a socal thing. Makes me wonder how long Jacobin777 has lived in Northern California. Notice I don't do that anymore even though I was born in San Diego. But when I refer to socal freeways, for example "405" will always be "the 405".

jacobin777

Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:39 am

Quoting SJCRRPAX (Reply 44):
It's without question a socal thing. Makes me wonder how long Jacobin777 has lived in Northern California. Notice I don't do that anymore even though I was born in San Diego. But when I refer to socal freeways, for example "405" will always be "the 405".

1)for years
2)I haven't noticed
3)I do with with all expressways... spin 
"Up the Irons!"

mariner

Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:58 am

We do tend to be a bit fussy about it..

Yeh, but many people in that foggy city north of Los Angeles were fussy about the use of personal deodorant, too - such as "don't, you are invading my airspace."

Well, I tell ya' - some of the folk who were not using deodorant were invading my airspace, big time.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

cschleic

Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:20 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 26):
Growing up in NYC area, the idea that such a liberal place would be so anal and closed-minded was shocking to me. And the idea that being critical of things was a bad thing was just silly...

I'm sure there are all sorts of names that could be applied to New York and New Yorkers that would make your skin crawl as much as the F word makes someone in S.F's skin crawl. Try keeping that in mind. And no need for the political labeling...that has nothing to do with it, or aviation topics in the forum.