drinkstrolley

Is BA Looking To Drop Domestic Routes?

Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:14 pm

Everywhere I read these days I see BA are dropping more and more domestic routes i.e SOU-GLA (very busy route), BHX-BFS (http://www.flybe.com/news/0608/01.htm) and so on.

Are they perhaps looking to let the low-cost boys get stuck into this area and concentrate on the long haul and premium fares market?

Cheers.

speedbirdegjj

RE: Is BA Looking To Drop Domestic Routes?

Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:22 pm

No not at all. Both the routes you refer to are operated by BA Connect, and have a different market, operating costs and target audience to the trunk mainline domestics.

The trunk routes out of LHR and LGW provide not only valuable high yielding traffic, but also a lot of connecting traffic into the hubs.

SOU-GLA was always going to be under pressure with the increased competition on the route and the fact that the SOU base was effectively serving three routes, two of which can, and now are, being served from other bases (MAN/EDI).

BHX - BHD, was a relatively new route, which was tried, didnt work, and was subsequently dropped, for a mulitude of reasons.

Rgrds
Ryan

wrighbrothers

Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:23 pm

I wouldn't think BA are cutting domestic flights, if they did/do, they will just lose lots of feeder traffic to BD and others.

Quoting SpeedbirdEGJJ (Reply 1):
The trunk routes out of LHR and LGW provide not only valuable high yielding traffic, but also a lot of connecting traffic into the hubs.

When I fly, I find the loads are always pretty full, especially on the early morning flights, lots of business men, the same people who may fly in F or J on long-haul, choose BA because of the service, and the easy connections, if BA drop the routes, the business men may choose someone else, and that's the last thing BA want.
Baring in mind that some of the higher market passengers who fly BA, came from BD, if BA stop, they will go back to BD, who will then have a monopoly.

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

monkeyboi

Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:25 pm

Domestic routes into LHR/LGW (as well as short-haul european routes) are essential for BA long-haul feed.

No domestic/european feed and half BA's long-haul flights would be flying empty.

David_itl

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:25 am

Quoting SpeedbirdEGJJ (Reply 1):
the fact that the SOU base was effectively serving three routes, two of which can, and now are, being served from other bases (MAN/EDI).

Was SOU-MAN a "SOU based aircraft" route? Most services are DHC8s (based MAN) and the other service normally operated out of MAN for 2 or 3 sectors with only the 1st departure and last arrival on the SOU-MAN route being ERJ145s