antskip

NZ And QF Admit To Planning More Than A Code-share

Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:20 pm

NZ and QF have admitted that their proposed "code-share" on the Tasman is to be far more than that. "Air New Zealand and Qantas have admitted to Australia's competition watchdog that they will effectively operate as a joint business on the Tasman if their proposed code share agreement is allowed, a newspaper reported today. Opponents of the deal, including Wellington International Airport, argue it goes far beyond normal code arrangements and is more like a cartel or merger. Responding to queries from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission about why joint fare setting was so important, Air New Zealand and Qantas replied that the agreement provided for the two to jointly determine which routes would be served, how often and the capacity to be made available on each route, the New Zealand Herald reported".
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3754300a13,00.html

CXA330300

RE: NZ And QF Admit To Planning More Than A Code-share

Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:22 pm

So they were creating a monopoly after all.............if that wasn't so clear already.

Quoting Antskip (Thread starter):
Wellington International Airport

Why is WLG opposed to the deal?
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

planemanofnz

Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:33 pm

Quoting CXA330300 (Reply 1):

Because QF and NZ are practically the only carriers serving WLG apart from very minor services from SJ, DJ e.t.c.

Magyarorszag

Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:34 pm

Read the next to last paragraph of the following paper, and you'll understand.

Cheers.

Agents raise competition fears over Qantas-NZ link

VHVXB

Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:47 pm

which one out NZ and QF fly Christchurch-Coolangatta??

antskip

Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:10 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 4):

JQ flies the route on behalf of QF. In the Tasman "code-share" proposal, JQ is assumed as being represented by QF.
As reported in the Australian newspaper today, "QF was committed to making JQ work in the long term and had structured its strategy around the two brands: JQ and QF".
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...ory/0,20867,20008177-23349,00.html

SA7700

Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:14 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 4):

Jetstar operate this route, with a QF codeshare.

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

SpinalTap

Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:38 pm

Quoting Antskip (Reply 5):
Quoting VHVXB (Reply 4):

JQ flies the route on behalf of QF. In the Tasman "code-share" proposal, JQ is assumed as being represented by QF.
As reported in the Australian newspaper today, "QF was committed to making JQ work in the long term and had structured its strategy around the two brands: JQ and QF".
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au....html

SJ (Freedom Air) operate this route as well on NZ's behalf.
"I get what they call a stipend, a stipend is like money but its such as small amount they don't really call it money"

alaskaqantas

Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:22 pm

what about the interior?
would they have to have a few specific airplanes that all have the same interior on both cariers? would would the NZ and QF still have their own seats?

what would the livery look like?
this?

Wink
anyways they've been talking about this for a while... I wonder if it'll actually happen, and if so what will happen with the service/seats/livery.?.?.?
~cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

Magyarorszag

Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:25 pm

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 8):
I wonder if it'll actually happen, and if so what will happen with the service/seats/livery.?.?.?

Maybe that's why NZ new livery has been so long to appear! Everything depend on that code-sharing agreement.......  Big grin

VHVXB

Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:28 pm

Quoting Antskip (Reply 5):
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au....html

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 6):
Jetstar operate this route, with a QF codeshare.

Rgds

SA7700

Quoting SpinalTap (Reply 7):
SJ (Freedom Air) operate this route as well on NZ's behalf.

Ahh ok. So I gather that JQ and Freedom Air are also part of this Codesharing agreement that NZ and QF want to push through to their regulatory bodies. At first I only thought it was only a deal between NZ and QF

RichardJF

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:55 am

Such a move would be disasterous for NZ. It is based on highly flawed assumptions almost certainly widely held inside NZ about QF's intentions.
Both QF and Toll are quite correctly trying shaft NZ. However competing across the SAM is easy for NZ but requires slightly unconventional strategies.

aerokiwi

Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:09 pm

So this pretty much concedes that just about everything critics have levelled at this plan is true. Where's the NZ fan club now to defend what now amounts to the indefensible?

Quoting RichardJF (Reply 11):
Both QF and Toll are quite correctly trying shaft NZ. However competing across the SAM is easy for NZ but requires slightly unconventional strategies.

I don't often agree with/understand you RichardJF, but in this instance, I think you're bang on. Australian businesses such as these haven't got to where they are today by being nice.

RichardJF

Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:14 pm

The competition issues probably aren't that problematic because of the likely replacement of QF with DJ on NZ domestic. With the LiveTV and FF scheme and the tie in with EK's Tasman and likely beyond AKL ops DJ will in fact become a far stronger player on the Tasman making the whole exercise pointless for NZ. Unfortunately all this works nicely for QF, only one loser here. DJ could use 737's on lower capacity routes during middle of the day similar to Coffs Harbour strategy.

mariner

Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:16 pm

Quoting Aerokiwi (Reply 12):
So this pretty much concedes that just about everything critics have levelled at this plan is true.

checkmark 

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

flyjetstar

Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:35 pm

So this pretty much concedes that just about everything critics have levelled at this plan is true. Where's the NZ fan club now to defend what now amounts to the indefensible?

Having been over this many, many, many times with you Aerokiwi in particular, I'm still in the pro camp. Nothing in this article nor the one that appeared in the Herald this last week was a surprise to me and to be honest I don't have a problem with it. Maybe crazy but I'm willing to give it a go.

Please don't flame me for it. I think differently to you and that's OK. In time one of us will probably be proved right and one wrong and when that happens I'll get back to you!

RichardJF

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:31 pm

For Ryanair, Southwest or Virgin Blue for that matter they are simple business models where the CASM is hugely important. In NZ's case in the SAM it's a matter of the strength of your position versus QF and DJ which leads to NZ's viability and ability to extract profits over time. Just because everyone in NZ's management team thinks the same way it doesn't mean their right, it just means they think the same way. When aggressively competing across the SAM is the least risky strategy why not just compete.

fuffla

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:58 pm

Opps...wrong thread! Sorry guys  Smile

[Edited 2006-08-05 09:00:20]

NZ8800

Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:18 pm

I'm part of the pro NZ camp but I'm not really sure about this one, I don't trust QF as far as I could throw them. NZ depends on the Tasman far more than QF does, as far as I can see. They are much stronger than NZ is.
That said, to me, the main thing is that NZ keeps on flying, and in this day and age, that's no mean feat for any carrier. IF this is what needs to happen for NZ to survive, then they should go for it; before QF get any more feet in the door. Better the devil you know...
MDZWTA ~ Mobile Disaster Zone When Travelling Abroad

Lufthansa

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:57 am

New Zeland... Qantas and Australia love you dearly, how can you all speak of us in this manner?

v2fix

Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:49 am

This is a really tough one to call - and emotional too if you are a Kiwi.

I dont think I would trust the 'flying rat' as far as I could chuck Mr Dixon. I think Air NZ is a better run airline now days and has taken the harsh steps required to keep itself profitable and flying.

I think Qantas has much more to do - and is being protected by the Aussie government from competition until it sorts itself out. Once a lean mean flying machine I think it will become difficult for the Aussies preventing SQ and EK from flying more sectors from them.

The Tasman has been and always will be a blood bath. And in todays aviation market I think the only other option available to Air NZ will be to cut capacity by reducing flights. But I agree with NZ8800 that the tasman flights are more important to Air NZ than Qantas.

The threat is that QF will enter the NZ internal market, probably using JetStar, in an extremely agreesive way, undercutting (subsidising) their flights against Air NZ. I do wonder whether the same intent is still there my QF as they have many battles to flight (v SQ v EK) to maintaine their long haul premuim position.

While Air NZ can codeshare with QF maybe they can lock down the QF threat ? (real or not). Ultimately if it keeps NZ flying it will be a good thing.

Can any of the people who work for Air NZ talk about how the code share has been explained/positioned to them ? After all, it will ultimatley result in less Air NZ Tasman sectors being flown ?
742; 744; DC10, DC3, 321, 320, 319, 170,190, 772, 773,333, 346, 343

VHVXB

Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:43 am

Quoting V2fix (Reply 20):
The threat is that QF will enter the NZ internal market, probably using JetStar, in an extremely agreesive way, undercutting (subsidising) their flights against Air NZ.

Yeah QF is already doing this with Jet Connect I think

While Air NZ can codeshare with QF maybe they can lock down the QF threat ? (real or not). Ultimately if it keeps NZ flying it will be a good thing.

Threat of what??

Can any of the people who work for Air NZ talk about how the code share has been explained/positioned to them ? After all, it will ultimatley result in less Air NZ Tasman sectors being flown ?

The Air NZ website has some of this information

aerohottie

RE: NZ And QF Admit To Planning More Than A Code-s

Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:52 am

I personally believe the best outcome for both Oz and NZ carriers would be to decline the codeshare agreement, and for the governments to try and reinstate the SAM agreement making tasman services a domestic flight.... this would reduce the taxes placed on the fares, making the flights even more affordable and would stop foreign registered airlines from flying the route as they would be cabotage (of sorts). Leaving the market for only NZ and Oz based carriers to compete.
What?

mariner

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:17 am

Quoting Aerohottie (Reply 22):
Leaving the market for only NZ and Oz based carriers to compete.

I'm not sure why you would want to reduce competition - except as a form of protectionism?

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

antskip

Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:06 pm

or the governments to try and reinstate the SAM agreement making tasman services a domestic flight.

The SAM agreement is already in place. However, as I read it, it does not make the Tasman route a "domestic' one, though it allows domestic services in each country to fly the Tasman. It's real honesty, at least on the part of the Australian govt, was brought into question when it torpedoed NZ's right to fly within Australia as a domestic airline- hence the Ansett debacle. Even if SAM was properly implemented as it is, "domestic" still means just that: within the "home" of a country-within its borders. Unless New Zealand and Australia become one country, the flight between them can never be "domestic", only inter-national. NZ and QF try hard to make out it is "domestic", but they can't redefine political reality. There are two borders to cross on the Tasman route, one to get out, one to get in.

sunrisevalley

Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:38 pm

My view has been for sometime, and I have espoused it before on this list, that Qf and NZ should put the necessary assets into a new company to run the trans-Tasman service agreeing to grandfathering the existing 747/777 trans-Tasman services of both carriers. I would envisage this would mean NZ selling a stake in FreedomAir or rolling this name into the new company. Then both carriers would with the aforementioned exception, withdraw from the market.  duck 

Zkpilot

Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:02 pm

Yes less NZ and for that matter QF metal being flown across the Tasman. However in terms of passenger sectors available to each carrier there will be an increase... ie NZ pax would be able to fly an NZ sector but on a QF metalled service and vice versa.
Management has positioned it to us that the Tasman runs at a loss for both airlines and that there are far to many wasted empty seats and many flights competing head to head when a slight adjustment to the schedule could allow pax more flexibility. NZ will be able to return 1 or 2 aircraft to the lease companies (saving quite a bit of $$$) and QF can redeploy some assets elsewhere. Also from a different perspective thousands and thousands of barrels of oil will be saved (good for the environment and cuts the fuel bill also).
The one flight I am uncertain of is NZ175 AKL-PER... this is operated as a longhaul flight even though it is TT... QF does not compete on this route. I guess QF will now be able to sell direct seats if the codeshare proceeds.

Quoting SunriseValley (Reply 25):
My view has been for sometime, and I have espoused it before on this list, that Qf and NZ should put the necessary assets into a new company to run the trans-Tasman service agreeing to grandfathering the existing 747/777 trans-Tasman services of both carriers. I would envisage this would mean NZ selling a stake in FreedomAir or rolling this name into the new company. Then both carriers would with the aforementioned exception, withdraw from the market.

Not sure what you mean exactly with the 747/777 remarks there, but the rest of your idea does sound very interesting... could be quite a good opportunity for both carriers!  Wink
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

mariner

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:18 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 26):
Management has positioned it to us that the Tasman runs at a loss for both airlines and that there are far to many wasted empty seats and many flights competing head to head when a slight adjustment to the schedule could allow pax more flexibility.

Okay, I have a very simple brain. If they are flying at a loss because there are too many seats - why not reduce capacity, reduce the number of seats?

Surely they can't still be thinking market share?

The US legacy airlines wre the great proponements of market share, and it is part of what put two thirds of them ito Chapter 11.

Even in the catastrophioc aftermath to 9/11, they still clung to the idea that market share trumps profitablity, and they have learned a hard lesson.

But they have learned it. What was the true basket case - US Airways - just reported a quarterly profit of over $300 million.

American Airlines (which narrowly avoided bk) was close to that figure, United, fresh out of bankruptcy, made a hefty profit for the first time in six years.

All of them have been ruthless about cutting unprofitable routes and/or reducing capacity, and it has paid handsome rewards.

So I don't understand why Air NZ and Qantas need a code share to achieve the same thing.

cheers

mariner

[Edited 2006-08-06 21:20:16]
aeternum nauta

NZ8800

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:43 am

It could be noted that US Airways and United now have a lot of codeshares; and this is part of what has rescued them - no need to duplicate metal (on many routes anyway), and better utilisation of aircraft on the ones that do.

QF and NZ need the codeshare because neither trusts the other as far as they could throw them; but if it is all down on contracts in black and white and each is happy before they sign, they each have that security.
I think it is much more about distrust and suspicion, than market share. Both carriers are very well aware they have 80% of the Trans-Tasman market between them.
MDZWTA ~ Mobile Disaster Zone When Travelling Abroad

sunrisevalley

Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:26 am

Not sure what you mean exactly with the 747/777 remarks there,

I am referring to the NZ BNE/MEL-AKL 747 flights to feed NZ2, 6 and 8 and the QF MEL-AKL flight to provide an a/c for their AKL-LAX flight.

777ER
Crew

Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:12 am

Quoting Antskip (Thread starter):
Wellington International Airport

NZ would loose heaps of Tasman flight and what has been said previously, NZ and QF are basically the only airlines.

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 4):

NZ would operate the route using the SJ brand but painted in both NZ and SJ colours

Thanks for the excellent laugh

would they have to have a few specific airplanes that all have the same interior on both cariers? would would the NZ and QF still have their own seats?

Why spend money changing seats/interiors on aircraft just for this, when they are tryin to save money?

Quoting RichardJF (Reply 11):

I don't often agree with/understand you RichardJF, but in this instance, I think you're bang on. Australian businesses such as these haven't got to where they are today by being nice.

Well now that Toll Rail is stopping every long distance passenger rail system in New Zealand, the quote by Aerokiwi doesn't susprise me and I agree with him totally. Oh well InterCity/Newmans is going to be happy, and great more long distance buses on our roads driving around the country.

Quoting NZ8800 (Reply 18):
, I don't trust QF as far as I could throw them.

Or Geoff Dixon. Remember his comments about getting rid of NZ?

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 21):
The threat is that QF will enter the NZ internal market, probably using JetStar, in an extremely agreesive way, undercutting (subsidising) their flights against Air NZ.

Yeah QF is already doing this with Jet Connect I think

I don't consider QF a threat on NZ domestic because of their pathitic frequences and routes.

axio

Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:46 am

Quoting NZ8800 (Reply 28):
It could be noted that US Airways and United now have a lot of codeshares; and this is part of what has rescued them - no need to duplicate metal (on many routes anyway), and better utilisation of aircraft on the ones that do.

I think the US market is very different to the trans-tasman one. Even if the main airlines were considered combined by their alliances (DL,NW,CO - AA - UA,US - WN), none of them have anything close to a majority of the services throughout the country, and there are still other strong and significant airlines (such as FL and AS) to add to the competition.

QF and NZ and their associate airlines represent 80% of the passenger capacity trans-tasman, and some of the other capacity is held by airlines providing 'tag-on' services which aren't as vigorously marketed as NZ and QFs services are.

And while you are correct that code-sharing improves aircraft utilization, in this case it also creates a market with limited competition that is effectively a duopoly.

ax
Time for a new viewing deck at AKL!

antskip

Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:47 am

reinstate the SAM agreement making tasman services a domestic flight....

The thought of making Australia and New Zealand one aviation market might seem attractive at the moment to NZ and QF, ridding themselves of EK and other international airlines flying the Tasman, but it would hurt NZ and New Zealand much more than QF/JQ and Australia. New Zealand would become effectively part of the Australian domestic air market, and DJ would enter the Tasman and the New Zealand mainland(s) market just as if it were Australia. NZ would have really serious competition within its national borders and on the Tasman. It would not have the capacity to return the challenge to Australian airlines within Australia. For the New Zealand traveller and economy, there would be very probably no non-ANZAC airline willing to fly to New Zealand, as they would have to overfly the whole of Australia to get there -they would terminate all flights in Australia. South American airlines would have to fly direct to Australia. NZ would find themselves in big trouble of destruction, confronted by a much stronger QF/JQ and DJ. NZ and New Zealand absolutely needs the Tasman to remain international, EK and all.

sunrisevalley

Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:29 am

Quoting Antskip (Reply 32):
NZ and New Zealand absolutely needs the Tasman to remain international, EK and all.

Could you elaborate on this please. Are you alluding to the fact that the trans-Tasman feeds are desirable to NZ for its North America service and its LHR service via LAX?

mariner

Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:49 am

Sory, but they had the codeshare before United's Chapter 11.

It is certainly true that the US/HP merger "saved" US Airways - but United is not part of that merger.

QF and NZ need the codeshare because neither trusts the other as far as they could throw them

I don't think any of the US legacy carriers trust each other.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

antskip

Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:58 am

Quoting SunriseValley (Reply 33):
Quoting Antskip (Reply 32):
NZ and New Zealand absolutely needs the Tasman to remain international, EK and all.

Could you elaborate on this please. Are you alluding to the fact that the trans-Tasman feeds are desirable to NZ for its North America service and its LHR service via LAX?

A "domestic"-style Australia-New Zealand air market would have no effect on the U.S.-Australasia air market, as it stands. That is already heavily protected, with only bilateral airlines flying the route. It would hugely impact (negatively) international traffic into New Zealand from Asia and the western approach in general through Australia, where at the moment there is a plethora of international airlines competing with NZ/JQ and NZ.

1des1

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:42 pm

What I don't understand about NZ is why don't they roll out SJ into a product like JQ?

Roll out SJ on all of the trans-tasman routes that are marginal profibility wise, retain NZ flights with all the "frills" - if you want to call NZ services across the Tasman as “frills" - on routes that are making any money for the company. Mainly business traveller orientated routes.

But why stop at the Tasman? With the launch of JQ to long-haul destinations why doesn't NZ do the same with SJ to leisure destinations where they are not making any money? Hawaii springs to mind as well as the Pacific Islands. Surely this would make a lot more sense then to simply withdraw from loss-making routes?

NZ could run NZ branded flights to meet business traveller demands (early morning and after close of business for the day) and SJ services to meet leisure traveller demands (late morning and afternoon flights)

This would also define NZ and SJ as two separate products - one being low cost and the other a full "frill" carrier.

At the moment NZ seems to be LCC on NZ metal but still charging full fares where in reality they are running a LCC. I don’t call a cardboard box meal that even a dog would stick its nose at and running domestic 733’s from CHC as a full frill service trans-tasman! This is confusing for the consumer as paying full fare price doesn't mean full fare service!

A great example of this is QF out of CHC. They run all of there trans-tasman routes as JQ apart from SYD – where they manage to fill a 763 once daily out of CHC (Sometimes a 743 or 744). On the flip side NZ struggles to fill 2x daily A320’s.

I really struggle to understand why NZ is doing this across the Tasman?!?!

Zkpilot

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:54 pm

Quoting SunriseValley (Reply 29):
I am referring to the NZ BNE/MEL-AKL 747 flights to feed NZ2, 6 and 8 and the QF MEL-AKL flight to provide an a/c for their AKL-LAX flight.

Yes I know that, but what about those flights are you talking about? Taking the large a/c off those routes, or putting more on or what?
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

ZKNBX

Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:06 pm

However in terms of passenger sectors available to each carrier there will be an increase... ie NZ pax would be able to fly an NZ sector but on a QF metalled service and vice versa.

What you should say, ZKpilot, is in terms o the individual airlines' seat offering, there will be an increase in available passenger sectors, but NOT if both carriers' capacity is counted together. (Not saying there is anything wrong with the particular marketing angle on all of this if there is gross inefficiency and overcapacity, but it is a matter of transparency).

sunrisevalley

Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:34 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 37):
but what about those flights are you talking about?

I am saying that they would be maintained . Whether they could be added to
would be a question that would need to be addressed as part of the agreement in setting up the "new" trans-Tasman operating company.