Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cha747
Topic Author

American Eagle Dedicated Infant Seats...Why?

Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:09 am

Not so much of a complaint, but why is this the way that it is? Here is the policy that I and the reservations AAgent overlooked when it came to booking flights for my infant son...straight from the AA website:

Seating Restrictions
Traveling With An Infant On American Eagle Flights
If you will be traveling with an infant on an American Eagle aircraft as shown below, you must be seated in one of the following seats which are designated life vest-equipped rows:

SAAB 340B - seats 10C, 11C or 12C
ERJ 135 - seats 11C, 12C or 13C
ERJ 140 - seats 13C, 14C or 15C
ERJ 145 - seats 15C, 16C or 17C
Bombardier CRJ-700 - seats 15D, 16D or 17D

We got to the airport and got reassigned from row 7 to row 16 A, B, and C. on an E-145. When I picked-up my son and brought him to my side of the cabin (single seaing in A, BC on the other side of the aisle), I was politely requested to return him to the other side of the aisle as there is only 1 oxygen mask on that side of the aisle.

So why are these special seats in the back of the plane? How come AA mainline do not care and do not have infant vests? Why can't the infant vests be "portable?" Any other airlines have these restrictions?

S5FA170

RE: American Eagle Dedicated Infant Seats...Why?

Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:12 am

The ERJ-145 does not feature slides on any of the doors. Were your aircraft to land in water, the only way to keep your baby floating is to put him in an infant life jacket.

On larger aircraft with slides (at least on mine, anyway) it is our policy during a water evacuation to place infants on top of the slide, which is used as a raft during a water evacuation.

Also, the point about the oxygen mask is a very valid one! Their is very little time to play with during a decompression within which to secure your own mask, let alone someone else's, especially if it is across the aisle from you!

-Tony

ExRUAgentatDAL

Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:14 am

Another issue I am familliar with from the 145 and 135 is that some airlines only have an extra oxygen mask for lap infants on certain rows....guess it saves a few bucks.

Chris

S5FA170

Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:16 am

Quoting ExRUAgentatDAL (Reply 2):
Another issue I am familliar with from the 145 and 135 is that some airlines only have an extra oxygen mask for lap infants on certain rows....guess it saves a few bucks.

On smaller aircraft like the -145, their is only one oxygen mask on the single seat side of the cabin because of space requirements. Their is more room on the right-hand side of the aircraft to place an extra mask than on the left. Its not because it saves a few bucks!

-Tony

ExRUAgentatDAL

Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:28 am

On CO RJ's even on the single side on the infant rows there are 2 masks. They just add one extra mask on each side, allowing for one lapchild on each side.

Chris

mawelsh

Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:33 am

Cha747

I've read through this and your other topic on the subject. One note that I didn't see mentioned...

On Delta at least, because my son was using a carseat, I had to be reassigned on four of four legs because I had chosen seats immediately after an exit row. (I knew I couldn't be IN an exit row, so I thought that would be the next safest.) I didn't learn of the rule until we were taxiing on the first leg. That trip was on MD-88's and 757's.

On Tuesday we're doing CMH to GRK on CO...I'm still using a car seat but staying away from the exit rows...

S5FA170

Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:43 am

Quoting ExRUAgentatDAL (Reply 4):
On CO RJ's even on the single side on the infant rows there are 2 masks

I was just kidding about what I said, then. LOL

-Tony

cha747
Topic Author

Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:20 pm

Mawlesh - yes, I found that out the moment that we checked in - our csr went through the entire list of rules and regs.

We're Nuts

Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:20 pm

Quoting Mawelsh (Reply 5):
On Delta at least, because my son was using a carseat, I had to be reassigned on four of four legs because I had chosen seats immediately after an exit row. (I knew I couldn't be IN an exit row, so I thought that would be the next safest.) I didn't learn of the rule until we were taxiing on the first leg. That trip was on MD-88's and 757's.

Because in an evacuation those doors can get thrown anywhere. Outside the plane, inside the plane - it could be chaotic. We don't want it to land on your son.

Markhkg

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:52 pm

Incidentally, for those interested on how to EVACUATE your infant during an emergency...consider reading the following FAA CAMI report

"Caring for Precious Cargo, Part I:
Emergency Aircraft Evacuations With
Infants Onto Inflatable Escape Slides"

(I like the title.  Smile )

http://www.hf.faa.gov/docs/508/docs/cami/0118.pdf

Part II is how to evacuate through an overwing exit hatch (Type III)

"Caring for Precious Cargo, Part II: Behavioral Techniques for Emergency Aircraft Evacuations With Infants Through the Type III Overwing Exit"

http://www.faa.gov/library/reports/m...amtechreports/2000s/media/0502.pdf

Tristarsteve

Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:05 pm

All our aircraft B737 B757 B767 A320 have special seats for infants.
It is because only certain PSUs have an extra oxygen mask. And it is different on each plane. On some it the right hand seats, on some it is the left hand seats and on some it is alternate rows. Until this year the check in computor let you make a mistake, but then when the gate agent closed the flight it told you that you were wrong and had to move the infants. To stop this happening the lead agent usually pre seats all booked infants in the correct rows, and blocks off one row for any non-booked infant that shows up.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos