DIJKKIJK
Topic Author

Important Cities With Small, Underserved Airports

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:50 am

In my view, Grenoble , France is one.

It is an important town with a huge expatriate population (at least half the town is italian + British + German). There are lots of important tech companies and European research institutes here. It is also a gateway to some of the world's best ski resorts.

It has an airport (GNB) but other than Ryanair and Blu-express no other airline flies here regularly. The "nearest" major airport is LYS, 100 kms away.

I'm sure there is a good demand for carriers like AF/KL/LH to fly from here to major hubs like CDG, FRA or AMS.

Do you know of any other such place?
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

1337Delta764

RE: Important Cities With Small, Underserved Airports

Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:43 am

Santa Fe, New Mexico. Some smaller cities, such as Bismarck, North Dakota, get more air service than Santa Fe. Santa Fe is only served by one airline, Great Lakes Aviation (to Denver), and is on 19-seat Beechcraft 1900D's. Santa Fe IMO should get RJ service to SLC, DFW, PHX, LAS, and LAX.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

BigGSFO

Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:46 am

I wouldn't call it important per se, but Laughlin/Bullhead City is underserved seeing how it is Nevada's next big resort town.

Also Mammoth (MMH) is underserved, especially during peak ski season.

planespotting

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:02 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 1):
Santa Fe, New Mexico. Some smaller cities, such as Bismarck, North Dakota, get more air service than Santa Fe. Santa Fe is only served by one airline, Great Lakes Aviation (to Denver), and is on 19-seat Beechcraft 1900D's. Santa Fe IMO should get RJ service to SLC, DFW, PHX, LAS, and LAX.

Yes but ABQ is more than overserved, unless you count the traffic to/from Sante Fe.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

Ih8b6

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:09 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 2):
I wouldn't call it important per se, but Laughlin/Bullhead City is underserved seeing how it is Nevada's next big resort town.

What's happening there to make it the next big resort town?

How well is ROW served? It's kind of out in the middle of nowhere....
Over-moderation sucks

1337Delta764

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:32 am

Quoting IH8B6 (Reply 4):
How well is ROW served? It's kind of out in the middle of nowhere....

ROW only has service to ABQ.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

stirling

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:50 pm

Fresno, CA
Modesto, CA
Bakersfield, CA
Stockton, CA
Salem, OR
Pueblo, CO
Ft Collins, CO
Rockford, IL
Olympia, WA
Columbia, MO
Wilmington, DE
New Haven, CT
Delete this User

DLKAPA

Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:24 pm

Quoting Stirling (Reply 6):
Fresno, CA
Modesto, CA
Bakersfield, CA
Stockton, CA
Salem, OR
Pueblo, CO
Ft Collins, CO
Rockford, IL
Olympia, WA
Columbia, MO
Wilmington, DE
New Haven, CT

I'll agree with Fort Collins, CO, but not Pueblo, CO. Number 1, it's too close to COS, number 2, most of the population couldn't really afford to fly anyway.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Mir

Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:42 pm

I'd consider Berlin to be underserved with regard to long-haul flights. The capital of Germany can only manage two flights a day to New York?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

nycflyer

Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:21 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 8):
I'd consider Berlin to be underserved with regard to long-haul flights. The capital of Germany can only manage two flights a day to New York?

LH flew TXL-IAD for a few months in 2001, then cut it. So they did try.

Wilmington, DE
New Haven, CT

Amen to these two! I still don't understand why WN decided to go to PHL instead of ILG. ILG seems like a perfect PHL reliever airport, perfect for the WN business model, just 25 minutes from downtown Philly, and lots of business in Wilmington. DL/Comair just started flights to ATL, I think, that's Delaware's only commercial service.

HVN is a great little airport too, with a way bigger demand for flights than supply. What a shame. It had UA 737 service in the mid-90s heydey, but hasn't retained mainline service since. Rinky-dink DH8s to PHL on USExpress, and that's it. HVN could support flights to ORD, DTW, DCA (used to), and CLT or RDU. And probably a few more big regionals.

airlittoralguy

Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:29 pm

Rouen is France ten's biggest agglo and just gets a twice daily ATR to Lyon. But the runway is too short and there is massive opposition from the airport's neighboors as it comes to expansion.

Lille has a ridiculously small airport regarding the city's size, but BRU and CDG are not that far.

Toulon has a rather small airport.

Maybe the cities of le Havre and Caen also qualify for this topic, but there should be a common airport in Deauville.
Normandie : La r�©unification, maintenant ! http://www.mouvement-normand.com/

san747

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:19 pm

The southwest Riverside County/Inland Empire area in California has nothing- one has to drive to either SAN or ONT. How big is this area?

300,000 people live within a 45-minute drive of F70 (Temecula/Murrieta), a GA airport with a 6,000 foot runway that sees 100,000 movements annually. NO SERVICE. A similar amount of people live within a 45-minute drive of HMT (Hemet/San Jacinto), also a GA airport, but with only a 4,300 foot runway.

Either one could support services to places like LAX, SFO, PHX, or LAS on Dash 8s or ERJs/CRJs at least...

Quoting DIJKKIJK (Thread starter):
In my view, Grenoble , France is one.

I'm no expert of Grenoble, but are there not pictures of Greenland Air A330-200s visiting there more than once?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Omar Saffe - Spot This!

Scotty doesn't know...

N1120A

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:35 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 1):

SAF is only 43nm from ABQ, there is no way with the level of service ABQ gets that it will see service like that.

Too close to LAS for a significant level of service. Beyond that, it is mainly a place for old people and bikers who are within driving distance.

Fresno, CA

Not so much anymore

Wilmington, DE

WAY too close to too many major airports

New Haven, CT

Too close to New York and Hartford

Bakersfield, CA

There is a point made there but the proximity to FAT, SBA and LAX all hurt it, as does the lack of facilities.

Stockton, CA

Nah.

Rockford, IL

Too close to MSN, MKE and ORD/MDW

Olympia, WA

Way too close to SEA and too short a runway

Quoting San747 (Reply 11):
The southwest Riverside County/Inland Empire area in California has nothing- one has to drive to either SAN or ONT. How big is this area?

300,000 people live within a 45-minute drive of F70 (Temecula/Murrieta), a GA airport with a 6,000 foot runway that sees 100,000 movements annually.

The fact that the airport code is F70 should give a hint there  Wink. Aside from the fact that airlines don't go to non-ICAO airports, F70/RBK is way too close to SNA, ONT and SAN to really warrant any traffic. I could see an OO Brasilia service, but the lack of an established service would hurt that idea, as does the lack of a terminal. Further, whenever SAN does move to NKX, the area will be even closer to a large airport.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

DIJKKIJK
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:46 am

Quoting San747 (Reply 11):
I'm no expert of Grenoble, but are there not pictures of Greenland Air A330-200s visiting there more than once?

The only widebodies Grenoble gets are in the form of seasonal ski charters. It gets even IL-86S from Russia during that season.

But other than that, it is an airport that is craving for flights.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

SLCUT2777

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:38 am

Fresno, CA
Modesto, CA
Bakersfield, CA
Stockton, CA
Salem, OR
Pueblo, CO
Ft Collins, CO
Rockford, IL
Olympia, WA
Columbia, MO
Wilmington, DE
New Haven, CT

You might want to think about adding Provo, UT (PVU) to that list. Yes, there will be those out there that will say PVU is too close to SLC and the big DL hub, but most of the population of the valley on the south end of the Wasatch Front lives and works 40-55 miles from SLC (being located clear up on the NW part of SL City & County) and the traffic on I-15 to get up there is horrid! Keep in mind 20 years ago many said the same thing about COS in relationship to DEN, and they have now had passenger service for that time period. PVU does have an 8500' runway that can easily handle A31X/A32X, 737s, 752s as well as CRJs and EMB-Jets. Three are many business travelers now calling for commercial service to PVU to avoid the long road commute to SLC. The city does have a master plan for upgrading the airport to commercial service, and they are featured in flightaware.com.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

RCS763AV

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:47 am

Well, Manizales is a city with almost 500.000 inhabitants, it has the biggest emigrant rate of any city in Colombia and yet the airport is a small hut with only about 10 daily dlights on turboprops. Of course, it is very near Pereira which is the hub airport for the region.

7x daily Avianca Fokker-50 to BOG
2x daily ADA DHC6 Twin Otter to MDE
3x daily Aires DHC8-Q200 to BOG

All frecuencies get reduced on weekends.

panpan

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:49 am

Here's an interesting article about expansion at Santa Fe airport:

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/47476.html

The low level of scheduled service is due to two factors:
1) It has a class 3 rating, partly because of a prarie dog and burrowing owl issue (don't ask).
2) A former mayor didn't want more air service and went so far as to have the airport manager park trucks on the runway to prevent aircraft from landing (attention: governor of Pago Pago)

The article goes on to say that the current city administration has rethought that stance and is trying to get the airport rated class 1 so they can attract regional jets from Dallas(AA), Denver(UA) and Phoenix(US).

airbazar

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:57 am

I can think of one airport I used to fly often: Salzburg (SZG).
Until a couple of years ago, nearly all major European carriers server SZG: BA, AF, Swissair, KL, LH. Only LH remains, all others have dropped. As a result, I started flying in/out of MUC because without competition to SZG the fares on LH are ridiculously high.

AirbusA6

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:58 am

Florence airport FLR is pretty puny, with a very short runway, for what is a major tourist destination. Most flights go to Pisa PSA instead as a result...
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

Alias1024

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:01 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
SAF is only 43nm from ABQ, there is no way with the level of service ABQ gets that it will see service like that.

That may be changing fairly soon. The city council recently approved upgrades to the airport, to make it more attractive to airlines. They are supposedly talking to United, American, and America West. I'm willing to bet they can get at least one of them to send some RJs once the improvements are done.

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 3):
Yes but ABQ is more than overserved, unless you count the traffic to/from Sante Fe.

ABQ draws passengers from a large area. They draw passengers from the entire state, plus some from ELP because service at ELP is so minimal. ELP is certainly underserved. I would say ABQ is even underserved because they lack decent service to the New York City area, and don't have regular flights to Mexico, even though the demand is there.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

KELPkid

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:13 am

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 19):
ABQ draws passengers from a large area. They draw passengers from the entire state, plus some from ELP because service at ELP is so minimal. ELP is certainly underserved. I would say ABQ is even underserved because they lack decent service to the New York City area, and don't have regular flights to Mexico, even though the demand is there.

Bullcrap. ELP is served pretty well, considering the economics of the area. No one in ELP is going to spend 5 hours driving to ABQ for a slightly better airfare (the driving distance is over 320 statute miles!). They might start to steal catchment from ELP at around Truth or Consequences, New Mexico northwards...there are plenty of connecting flights between ELP and ABQ anyways (WN and DL come to mind...DL used to serve about 50% of their ELP-SLC flights as ELP-ABQ-SLC to capitalize on the ELP-ABQ traffic). I took a few of these DL flights from ELP to ABQ when I was in high school  Smile
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

KELPkid

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:15 am

I'd mention LRU, too, but everyone's gonna say it's in ELP's catchment area...LRU used to have 3x daily BE 1900 service to ABQ on YV, but the fares were way too high for anyone other than business.

Alias1024

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:44 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 20):
Bullcrap. ELP is served pretty well, considering the economics of the area. No one in ELP is going to spend 5 hours driving to ABQ for a slightly better airfare (the driving distance is over 320 statute miles!). They might start to steal catchment from ELP at around Truth or Consequences, New Mexico northwards...there are plenty of connecting flights between ELP and ABQ anyways (WN and DL come to mind...DL used to serve about 50% of their ELP-SLC flights as ELP-ABQ-SLC to capitalize on the ELP-ABQ traffic). I took a few of these DL flights from ELP to ABQ when I was in high school

I might agree with you if I hadn't worked at ABQ and seen passengers who had driven from ELP. Also, neither DL or F9 serve the ABQ-ELP route anymore. WN does connect many people from ELP to ABQ. As for the economics, that is certainly a negative for serving ELP, but the population base there seems large enough to support some extra service.

KELPkid

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:53 am

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 22):
I might agree with you if I hadn't worked at ABQ and seen passengers who had driven from ELP. Also, neither DL or F9 serve the ABQ-ELP route anymore. WN does connect many people from ELP to ABQ. As for the economics, that is certainly a negative for serving ELP, but the population base there seems large enough to support some extra service

Where can't you go from ELP? You can connect to almost anywhere (conveniently) on AA, WN, DL, CO, HP, F9, or UA...I cetainly never had any problems finding a reasonably-priced flight to anywhere I ever needed to go when I lived there, and there are often multiple choices on how to get there. The only time I've ever run into overbooked flights at ELP is when I go home for Christmas...but I think that's the case pretty much everywhere in the USA at that time of the year  Smile

AirScoot

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:54 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 21):
I'd mention LRU, too, but everyone's gonna say it's in ELP's catchment area...LRU used to have 3x daily BE 1900 service to ABQ on YV, but the fares were way too high for anyone other than business.

LRU isn't that terribly big.. and in the grand scheme of things.. while it's a reasonably nice place to visit, I don't know that I would label it "important". I will agree to wishing that it had more service. The couple of business trips I've had to take out there have been hell - only because I HAVE to fly into ELP. The YV flights into and out of there connected up with exactly.. nothing.

Speaking of them, I've seen schedules for a Westward Air floating around.. I thought they went Tango Uniform a while ago?

Mexitli

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:57 am

SLW. Relatively large (close to 500,000) city with large industrial base, yet only two destinations served (pax): MEX and IAH.

RAFVC10

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:06 am

ODB airport in Spain not see regular flights since mid-90's. The nearest airport serving this city is Sevilla.

Since AVE train serves this city, the airport is only used for private aviation, waterbombers planes and others.

BJZ, SLM, RJL,... are others...
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

PavlovsDog

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:11 am

Antelope Valley-(Palmdale-Lancaster) population 480,000. No scheduled flights to my knowledge. Burbank is the closest airport.

Victor Valley- 300,000 + residents. Rapidly growing. Ontario is the closest airport.

Torino and Bologna also come to mind as major and wealthy Italian Cities which are underserved.

RAFVC10

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:22 am

Quoting PavlovsDog (Reply 27):
Torino and Bologna also come to mind as major and wealthy Italian Cities which are underserved.

Bologna has charter flights to HAV, LRM, MBA, JFK, ZNB, CUN all operated with 763 of Blue Panorama Airlines. JFK is operated with 330 equipment of Eurofly.
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

Boeing744

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 8):

Yeah, this can definitely be one on the list. Maybe when the new airport is built (Brandenburg?) it will see some more overseas service.

KELPkid

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:32 am

Quoting AirScoot (Reply 24):
Speaking of them, I've seen schedules for a Westward Air floating around.. I thought they went Tango Uniform a while ago?

Rumor has it that it was just a grand scheme for some rich boys to get their hands on a few Pilatuses...  sarcastic 

PVD757

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:36 am

HVN is a reasonable drive (and/or mass transit) to several commercial airports: BDL, HPN, PVD, and NYC.

ORH is the 3rd largest city in New England (behind BOS and PVD) but is about an hour's drive to 4 bigger airports: BOS, MHT, BDL, and PVD.

MCOflyer

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:38 am

How bout MLB. B6 is supposed to be there by Feb. We currently have MD88's and CRJ's plus B732 subs. In the summer we get 738 service and 732 service.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

thepilot

RE: Important Cities With Small, Underserved Airpo

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:40 am

RDU-Because it doesn't have a widebody every two minutes.

Signed, A large% of anet.

[Edited 2006-08-09 20:44:19]
From YVR

roseflyer

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:41 am

Rockford Illinois. It has a metro area of 300,000. It suffers since it is only an hour away from ORD, but it only has about 4 daily flights. I think service can totally be beefed up. We have DEN, but what about DFW, IAD or ATL on RJs?
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

TWA902fly

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:56 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 14):
You might want to think about adding Provo, UT (PVU) to that list. Yes, there will be those out there that will say PVU is too close to SLC and the big DL hub, but most of the population of the valley on the south end of the Wasatch Front lives and works 40-55 miles from SLC (being located clear up on the NW part of SL City & County) and the traffic on I-15 to get up there is horrid! Keep in mind 20 years ago many said the same thing about COS in relationship to DEN, and they have now had passenger service for that time period. PVU does have an 8500' runway that can easily handle A31X/A32X, 737s, 752s as well as CRJs and EMB-Jets. Three are many business travelers now calling for commercial service to PVU to avoid the long road commute to SLC. The city does have a master plan for upgrading the airport to commercial service, and they are featured in flightaware.com.

I would have to agree with you on that one - I think its only a matter of time before PVU gets service of its own. Although recently it seems like Delta has been the one starting service to airports that no one looked at before - and PVU is right next to SLC. What i see as a possibility is Brasilias flying to SLC a couple times a day for connections - other than that - maybe UA CRJs to DEN and/or SFO, HP to PHX/LAS, nothing else seems like it would make too much sense.

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

Alias1024

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:00 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 23):
Where can't you go from ELP? You can connect to almost anywhere (conveniently) on AA, WN, DL, CO, HP, F9, or UA...I cetainly never had any problems finding a reasonably-priced flight to anywhere I ever needed to go when I lived there, and there are often multiple choices on how to get there.

You can get where you want to go, but like you said, you have to connect. Sometimes it is just cheaper to drive 4 hours and pick up the nonstop. SEA, PDX, MCO, TPA, MCI, BWI, AMA, and STL are all served nonstop from ABQ but not ELP on WN. SFO and soon IAD on UA. Seasonal service to EWR and CLE on CO. CVG on DL. It seems odd to see such a difference in service between two cities that have similar sized populations.

KELPkid

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:06 am

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 36):
Sometimes it is just cheaper to drive 4 hours and pick up the nonstop.

It's a lot longer than 4 hours...it used to take me 4 hours on the nose from the north end of LRU to drive to ABQ (obeying the speed limit of course...the New Mexico State Police love handing out speeding tickets on I-25!).

KELPkid

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:14 am

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 36):
PDX,

I happen to fly ELP-PDX a lot  wave  WN is perfect, you connect in ABQ (with about an hour to chill and catch a good bite to eat at ABQ). HP isn't bad either, one connection in PHX or LAS. The flights you don't want to take are the WN flights that are the same flight number all the way through...that's the milk run (it stops everywhere in California on the way...one even went ELP-LAX-RNO-PDX). I have also taken DL on this route (via SLC)...HP and DL both have tight connection times, but plenty of other flights if you miss your connection.

SLCUT2777

Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:54 am

Quoting TWA902fly (Reply 35):
What i see as a possibility is Brasilias flying to SLC a couple times a day for connections - other than that - maybe UA CRJs to DEN and/or SFO, HP to PHX/LAS, nothing else seems like it would make too much sense.

Actually I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see WN look at PVU with respects to Southern California Connections since Utah County has historically been loaded with weekend commuters who work LA, OC and SD county jobs and keep the family at home in the LDS Church dominated safe haven. So I can't rule out WN serving serving PVU-LAS, or PVU-PHX to connect to California or even possibly WN LAX-PVU or even PVU-SNA. PVU is the type of moderate sized airport that WN would like along the lines of BOI and GEG in the greater region. Who know, SLC might take on an ambitious terminal rebuild that will make it more pricey and WN could shift a bunch of service from SLC to PVU. But you're right that DL has beefed up SLC so much that expansion to PVU will get overlooked for the time being. UA, HP/US could look at service to PVU, with UA express serving DEN, SFO, LAX and possibly ORD with CRJ service, the later with a 705. But DL could get ambitious with more CRJ-7s in their Connection carriers fleets (SkyWest & ASA) fleet and have a daily to ATL from PVU as well. I also can't rule out AA Eagle looking possible DFW service as well.
One other western North American market that is under served is just north of the 49th, Lethbridge, AB (YQL) could use some SkyWest action with a CRJ into SLC since they are a good typical 2 hours south of YYC. Lethbridge passengers I'm told are large factors in SkyWest's DL/Connect services into both Great Falls, MT (GRT) as well as Kalispell, MT (FCA or GPI, which ever of the two codes you like to use), both even getting large enough loads to warrant CRJ-7 service.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

bennett123

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:05 am

My understanding is that flights to Florence are expensive, there is also a direct rail link from Pisa Airport to Florence.

roseflyer

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 40):
My understanding is that flights to Florence are expensive, there is also a direct rail link from Pisa Airport to Florence.

Florence is in the mountains/hills and has a very short runway with a displaced threshold. It is only about 4000ft, so it is limited to props, four engined Avros and just recently was able to get the A319 certified. I'm sure airlines would increase service if the tiny airport could handle it. Meridiana is the biggest airline there now.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

GAIsweetGAI

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:21 am

Quoting Airlittoralguy (Reply 10):
there is massive opposition from the airport's neighboors as it comes to expansion.

Happens everywhere. The weird thing about those cases is that the people who come to live next to the airport complain about the noise, the fuel etc.

Quoting Airlittoralguy (Reply 10):
Lille has a ridiculously small airport regarding the city's size, but BRU and CDG are not that far.

Toulon has a rather small airport.

Maybe the cities of le Havre and Caen also qualify for this topic, but there should be a common airport in Deauville.

I'd say all of France is underserved, except for Paris. Not enough airports, not enough flights- too much traffic goes through CDG and ORY.
"There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

SLCUT2777

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:36 am

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 29):
Yeah, this can definitely be one on the list. Maybe when the new airport is built (Brandenburg?) it will see some more overseas service.

With all of the NIMBY's in and around FRA, opposing any and all expansion, I've wondered how much a new airport in Berlin could take away from FRA.

FCYTravis

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:56 am

Also Mammoth (MMH) is underserved, especially during peak ski season.

If by "underserved" you mean not served at all by a scheduled air carrier, yes it's underserved Big grin
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

FATFlyer

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:54 am

Fresno, CA

Ditto, check, agree, etc.  bigthumbsup 

Bakersfield, CA

There is a point made there but the proximity to FAT, SBA and LAX all hurt it, as does the lack of facilities.

Don't forget the new BFL terminal. The facilities are now available except for a FIS. 3 current jetways with room for 5 or 6 more.
http://www.meadowsfield.com/features.asp
http://www.meadowsfield.com/new_Terminal.pdf
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

san747

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:09 pm

The fact that the airport code is F70 should give a hint there . Aside from the fact that airlines don't go to non-ICAO airports, F70/RBK is way too close to SNA, ONT and SAN to really warrant any traffic. I could see an OO Brasilia service, but the lack of an established service would hurt that idea, as does the lack of a terminal. Further, whenever SAN does move to NKX, the area will be even closer to a large airport.

I know, its probably unrealistic (although F70 has been reported to be looking for a commuter service)... What is weird that Temecula/Murrieta/Hemet/San Jacinto are in a weird position. Though they are close to the above mentioned airports, its still at least 2 hours to any of them on any normal day due to ridiculous traffic on I-15 and I-10.

I think, given that, and the amount of population growth, one of those nearby GA airports could support a service to a major western hub. HMT used to have its own airline in the '80s, so obviously, its been done before (when the area was about 10 times less populated, no less).
Scotty doesn't know...

anthsaun

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:32 pm

MTY & GDL.

MTY is a 2 million inhabitants town with a small airport having one single European route and a few flights to the USA.

GDL is a population over 3 million people without airservice beyond the USA.

There are several cities in Mexico with a large population (half a million to one million) with just 1 route.
Over 80 years in business say a lot about success

SLCUT2777

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:18 pm

Quoting San747 (Reply 46):
Though they are close to the above mentioned airports, its still at least 2 hours to any of them on any normal day due to ridiculous traffic on I-15 and I-10.

I think, given that, and the amount of population growth, one of those nearby GA airports could support a service to a major western hub.

I think that given traffic situations on many freeways now, getting to and from an airport will become more of an issue anywhere. The SW corridor in Riverside County is a classic example of where infrastructure has not been able to keep pace with the growth.

AADC10

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:49 pm

Southern California, the King of suburban sprawl seems to take the cake for areas far from LAX that are not far enough to get their own air service. Even SAN, hardly a small town, has flights sucked away from it to LAX, because it is in the general vicinity (although it is 120 miles away) and it is a crappy one runway facility. OAK and SJC would have more flights if they had more runways and better terminals.

People complain about traffic, but there are large groups of people who drive more than 60 miles to work every day, so 120 miles to the airport is not that big a deal.