BigGSFO
Topic Author

NW Announces New Service

Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:22 am

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060808/cgtu055.html?.v=61

Multiple segments for this winter announced. Most interesting one: ANC-KOA-HNL-ANC.

Others:
DTW-STT
DTW-ZIH
MEM-CZM
MSP-PUJ

supa7E7

RE: NW Announces New Service

Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:42 am

And the PUJ melee heats up a notch.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

DTWAGENT

Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:53 am

That is if the F/A's have a contract. Who knows what is going to happen with this...

Chuck

krisair747

Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:53 pm

Thank God, some positive NW news. Next will be the European destinations with the 757!! MAN, DUB and SNN!!
Open your heart and push the limits

Chugach

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:25 pm

Freakin' SWEET. So, in essence, ANC-HNL will be daily this winter; 2x weekly via KOA and 5x weekly via OGG.

I had a hunch from the get-go when NW started ANC-Hawaii a couple of years ago that it would be a success thanks to the army of AS frequent fliers in Alaska who can burn FF miles on these flights, as well as earn them and have them count towards elite status on AS.

Great news for Anchorage!

as739x

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:32 pm

If NW is filling this flight with FF members they are not going to make a dime on this route. But it will be nice to see ANC get this service.

MEM-CZM stands out to me!

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

WeAreUnited

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:33 pm

Quoting BigGSFO (Thread starter):
ANC-KOA-HNL-ANC.

Looks like NW is really starting to increase their Hawaii service.

Most recent additions to my memory include ANC-OGG, SFO-HNL, and PDX-HNL.

I realize most of these flights are all operated with the 757-300. With NW getting rid of the DC-10's, is this added 753 service simply keeping their total seats available to Hawaii (all islands) the same or is their an increase?

Anyone know how their daily 753 from PDX is holding up??

When my mom was searching for flights to come to PDX from HNL- we just assumed she'd end up on NW as she only wanted to fly non-stop. However- HA ended up coming up cheaper when she actually went to book it. To be honest- I was quite shocked.

The plus side for her- at least she gets a free meal!

PCEX

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:39 pm

PUJ is seasonal service. They flew almost every winter except the last one.

flydreamliner

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:39 pm

Quoting DTWAGENT (Reply 2):
That is if the F/A's have a contract. Who knows what is going to happen with this...

If the F/A's strike, NW I'm sure by this point has the means, and will, put in place a plane to replace them with A) replacement workers (how many F/A's have been laid off in the past 5 years?) B) Foreign F/A's from NW's overseas opperations (read: Japan). NW will keep flying. An F/A Chaos strike would mess them up, that's for sure, but they'd get over it, and at this point, they are in essence profitable, so it wouldn't topple them.

Quoting Krisair747 (Reply 3):
Thank God, some positive NW news. Next will be the European destinations with the 757!! MAN, DUB and SNN!!

Yep, DTW-DUB, DTW-SNN, and DTW-MAN are coming, via the PW2000 powered 757-200s!

And just you wait till the final A330s arrive, then the 787s. NW will have a foreign network to be envious of.

Quoting AS739X (Reply 5):

They are trying to use their southern feeder routes to channel through there and get into the Southeast-mexico routes, like AA runs out of MIA, DL out of ATL, and CO out of IAH. NW has a way of making routes from MEM work, MEM-AMS, for instance.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

jetbluefan1

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:14 pm

Same with me! But I really think that MEM is underutilized - it has so much potential as it's located perfectly for so many connections (both North/South and East/West).

JetBluefan1

yellowtail

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:33 pm

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 9):
Same with me! But I really think that MEM is underutilized - it has so much potential as it's located perfectly for so many connections (both North/South and East/West).

Trouble with Memphis is very little O&D compared to MIA, IAH, DFW, ATL....all the traffic will also be US based....no one in those foreign locations wants to go weekend shopping in Memphis.

I had asked someone close to airport ops here in BZE if NW had shown any interest. He told me they had talked, but the NW prefered to operate that as a codeshare with CO despite a fair amount of MSP/DTW-IAH-BZE traffic
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

Chugach

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:00 am

If NW is filling this flight with FF members they are not going to make a dime on this route. But it will be nice to see ANC get this service.

I can take it and earn about 5,500 miles that count to my MVP Gold status on AS. Sounds good to me.  Big grin

757dc10fltmech

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:59 am

I wonder how this will affect the (MSP) charter service out of the Humphrey Terminal?
CAN DO!

ASFlyer

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:24 am

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 8):
If the F/A's strike, NW I'm sure by this point has the means, and will, put in place a plane to replace them with A) replacement workers (how many F/A's have been laid off in the past 5 years?) B) Foreign F/A's from NW's overseas opperations (read: Japan). NW will keep flying. An F/A Chaos strike would mess them up, that's for sure, but they'd get over it, and at this point, they are in essence profitable, so it wouldn't topple them.

Don't delude yourself. NW was able to replace the mechanics without a problem. The F/A's are another story. For one, they don't have enough Japanese F/A's to cover their entire operation, let alone their domestic operation. For two, I don't even believe that these folks would be permitted to work here in the U.S. without work visas, and do you think our government would give work visas to a bunch of Japanese folks when there are folks right here in our own country that could do this job? Finally, in regards to replacing them with laid off F/A's - there aren't as many as you might like to believe. Most laid off F/A's have either found employment with another carrier or have gotten smart and found a whole different field of work. There aren't scads of experienced F/A's out there that are willing to take scab jobs.

MichiganMAN

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:42 am

DTW-MAN are coming,

so will I if it happens.
UK -> USA

MAH4546

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:25 am

NW has a way of making routes from MEM work, MEM-AMS, for instance.

And they have a way of making them not work. Like MEM-MEX, MEM-MTY, and MEM-GCM, for instance.
a.

United787

Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:12 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 9):

Well that is the problem with NW, Minneapolis and Detroit are also located nicely for east/west traffic. Three hubs in the middle of the country from smaller sized cities. I will never get the NW hub system, no wonder they aren't doing well.

bobnwa

Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:23 am

Quoting United787 (Reply 16):
I will never get the NW hub system, no wonder they aren't doing well.

Not doing well compared to who and what time period are you talking about?

flydreamliner

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:05 am

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 13):

Don't delude yourself. NW was able to replace the mechanics without a problem. The F/A's are another story. For one, they don't have enough Japanese F/A's to cover their entire operation, let alone their domestic operation. For two, I don't even believe that these folks would be permitted to work here in the U.S. without work visas, and do you think our government would give work visas to a bunch of Japanese folks when there are folks right here in our own country that could do this job? Finally, in regards to replacing them with laid off F/A's - there aren't as many as you might like to believe. Most laid off F/A's have either found employment with another carrier or have gotten smart and found a whole different field of work. There aren't scads of experienced F/A's out there that are willing to take scab jobs.

Really. That last contract was narrowly rejected. You don't think A LOT of those union F/A's would cross the lines if it meant getting a paycheck vs. not? The foreign and management F/A's would be temporary, and I guarantee you there are already making provisions to contract out temporary F/A positions domestically until they can rehire enough of a work force. Would it be bumpy for a little bit? Yes. Absolutely. Would they get past it? Absolutely.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 15):
And they have a way of making them not work. Like MEM-MEX, MEM-MTY, and MEM-GCM, for instance.

Every airline has routes they try and fail with.

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 17):
Quoting United787 (Reply 16):
I will never get the NW hub system, no wonder they aren't doing well.

Not doing well compared to who and what time period are you talking about?

The whole MSP and DTW as hubs is a little strange, and they REALLY need west coast hub (SEA, please!!!), but they are doing pretty well as an airline. They are for all practical purposes, a profitable airline (before BK and restructuring charges), they have high load factors, they're cutting costs further, and expanding service. Really, there are airlines out there, even ones out of BK that aren't doing any better, if not worse, than NW. As extremely harsh as some of the things NW leadership has done during the period in BK, it's been effective at returning the airline to profitability.

roseflyer

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:31 am

Doesn't AS pay NW in compensation for letting people redeem frequent flyer benefits?
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

as739x

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:43 am

Rose: To be honest, that is a better question for EA CO AS. I'm not familiar with those agreements not being in customer service.

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

TWFirst

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:45 am

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 18):
The whole MSP and DTW as hubs is a little strange

Not really. They started out and are still based in MSP. They bought Republic, formed from North Central and Southern, that had sizable ops in DTW and MEM. Voila. Current NW hub system.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

ASFlyer

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:16 am

Really. That last contract was narrowly rejected. You don't think A LOT of those union F/A's would cross the lines if it meant getting a paycheck vs. not? The foreign and management F/A's would be temporary, and I guarantee you there are already making provisions to contract out temporary F/A positions domestically until they can rehire enough of a work force. Would it be bumpy for a little bit? Yes. Absolutely. Would they get past it? Absolutely

Are you familiar with the concept of CHAOS? They wouldn't require every single F/A to walk off the job. The beauty of CHAOS is that the company never knows when/where or how it's going to come. CHAOS could mean that F/A's will strike flights at all odd numbered gates at DTW or all flights from SEA, or they could target all overseas flights, or they could target all 757 flights for an hour. How can the company protect themselves short of having a full crew for each aircraft available in each city? AFA wouldn't even need all the F/A's on a particular flight to bail to make that excercise succesful. If a full 747 going to Tokyo had two, or even three, F/A's decide not to honor a picket line, the company would still need to bring in enough F/A's to make it an FAA minimum crew - that takes time. Time means delays and delays cost money. CHAOS could go on and on and on and could change form every day. Each day could be something different. It would be very costly to staff the airline with enough F/A's to sit around and wait for something to happen on any given day. In addition to the training costs, there are the costs associated with paying these folks to be at your beck and call. The costs to deploy them to out stations and have them sitting their waiting. There is also the time it would take to train these folks. While the FAA may well allow NW to put furloughed certified F/A's from other carriers through an expedited training course, the biggest problem is that there aren't very many furloughed (if any) F/A's that are certified on the DC9, of which NWA has plenty. Further, there aren't very many furloughed F/A's from other airlines sitting around, desperate to go back to work for an airline. If they were that desperate they could have been hired by UA, CO, AS, US/HP and a huge number of regional carriers. The fact is that CHAOS would likely bring NWA to it's knees.

As far as NWA bringing in foriegn workers to work out of their domestic hubs working domestic flights - they can't do it. Plain and simple. They can no more bring in Japanese F/A's to fly from DTW to DFW then Wal-Mart can bring Mexican workers over the border to stock their stores in Iowa at night. Immigration laws wouldn't permit it.

[Edited 2006-08-10 00:21:13]

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:41 am

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 22):
Are you familiar with the concept of CHAOS? They wouldn't require every single F/A to walk off the job. The beauty of CHAOS is that the company never knows when/where or how it's going to come. CHAOS could mean that F/A's will strike flights at all odd numbered gates at DTW or all flights from SEA, or they could target all overseas flights, or they could target all 757 flights for an hour. How can the company protect themselves short of having a full crew for each aircraft available in each city? AFA wouldn't even need all the F/A's on a particular flight to bail to make that excercise succesful. If a full 747 going to Tokyo had two, or even three, F/A's decide not to honor a picket line, the company would still need to bring in enough F/A's to make it an FAA minimum crew - that takes time. Time means delays and delays cost money. CHAOS could go on and on and on and could change form every day. Each day could be something different. It would be very costly to staff the airline with enough F/A's to sit around and wait for something to happen on any given day. In addition to the training costs, there are the costs associated with paying these folks to be at your beck and call. The costs to deploy them to out stations and have them sitting their waiting. There is also the time it would take to train these folks. While the FAA may well allow NW to put furloughed certified F/A's from other carriers through an expedited training course, the biggest problem is that there aren't very many furloughed (if any) F/A's that are certified on the DC9, of which NWA has plenty. Further, there aren't very many furloughed F/A's from other airlines sitting around, desperate to go back to work for an airline. If they were that desperate they could have been hired by UA, CO, AS, US/HP and a huge number of regional carriers. The fact is that CHAOS would likely bring NWA to it's knees.

Which is exactly why NW needs to get rid of all their F/As, rehire the ones that apply and start fresh.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

flydreamliner

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:39 am

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 21):
The whole MSP and DTW as hubs is a little strange

Not really. They started out and are still based in MSP. They bought Republic, formed from North Central and Southern, that had sizable ops in DTW and MEM. Voila. Current NW hub system.

Well, the fact they kept MSP and DTW both as hubs is wierd. Seeing as they are geographically not that far apart, it would make sense to consolidate them (even NW's current MSP and DTW opperations merged are as large as ORD).

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 22):

Bring them to their knees huh? The machinists thought they'd bring NW to its knees.

How about the flight attendants at United and Alaska who used CHAOS. Neither UA or AS got brought to their knees by CHAOS. Would CHAOS mess things up for the airline? Yes, it would. Within a period of a few weeks, could the airline negate the effects of CHAOS. Yes. United did, Alaska did, and God knows, NW has been planning on doing it for a long time. As much as I hate to see it, and believe it, if the union calls CHAOS, I think NW will bring them to their knees. Also keep in mind that so far, Judge Gropper has been almost a rubber stamp for NW leadership. It's awful that it's reality, CHAOS will not topple NW. It just won't. They just selected a new union that brought them a tentative agreement they voted down. Great vote of confidence there.

And CHAOS. If you read the AFA website, it says to check into their CHAOS line frequently, to plan to stay at layover locations for up to 48 hours, and to have child and pet care lined up constantly, should you need to be away. It says also for the F/A's to have money (their own money) to cover hotel and food for these 48 hours, for any times they are aware from home when CHAOS is called. Awful demanding and life disrupting for the F/A's too, don't you think? It's a lot to ask. A novel idea, but perhaps not the most practical.

I used to think the F/A's had the power to bring down NW. The more I've seen out of there lately though, I don't think they can. I think the company is too well prepared. They'll cover their international flights entirely with overseas F/A's, freeing up the US based crews to cover domestic flights. Any holes there will be filled with management F/A's and fill ins from elsewhere. They'll cover the DC-9s with their crews, use the fill ins on the A320 and 757s. They can do it.

TWFirst

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:57 am

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 24):
it would make sense to consolidate them (even NW's current MSP and DTW opperations merged are as large as ORD).

Take a closer look at NWs feeder system into the the two airports... you'll understand why it DOESN'T make sense to combine them. If MSP wasn't working, that would have been the one they would have abandoned a long time ago, as DTW is a larger market and close enough to the east to capture transat traffic. However, MSP is profitable as it has relatively high O&D (several large corporations based in MSP), PLUS they've been able to command a fare premium due to owning the market, plus it's the best connecting point for the entire northern US from Wisconsin west to Washington and north to Canada.

Not to mention, MSP and DTW are a lot farther apart (528mi) than CVG is from ATL (373mi), STL is from ORD (258mi), CLE is from EWR (404mi) and about the same as STL is from DFW (550mi).

ASFlyer

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:05 am

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 24):
How about the flight attendants at United and Alaska who used CHAOS. Neither UA or AS got brought to their knees by CHAOS. Would CHAOS mess things up for the airline? Yes, it would. Within a period of a few weeks, could the airline negate the effects of CHAOS. Yes. United did, Alaska did, and God knows, NW has been planning on doing it for a long time. As much as I hate to see it, and believe it, if the union calls CHAOS, I think NW will bring them to their knees. Also keep in mind that so far, Judge Gropper has been almost a rubber stamp for NW leadership. It's awful that it's reality, CHAOS will not topple NW. It just won't. They just selected a new union that brought them a tentative agreement they voted down. Great vote of confidence there

Umm, actually, United never used CHAOS. Alaska did use CHAOS and they got the contract they were asking for as a result. AS management gave in. United management reached an agreement as a result of CHAOS.

Judge Gropper has been giving NW the rubber stamp on whatever they want to do, and that's unfortunate, but if CHAOS is allowed to happen, I think it's foolish to believe that management will recover quickly - if at all.

As for the machinists - they were a union that had no support from other unions what so ever. They were isolated. They also represented a relatively small number of employees that were replaced before a strike ever happened. Not the same thing at all.

ANNOYEDFA

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:56 am

If you think that NWA is going to pull a bunch of guaps out of their back pocket you'll have a good laugh in the end. There is a big difference of close to what? 10,000 people causing problems compaired to the few machines.

KAIGWYER: I have been saying the samething for a longgggggg time about our so called NYPD finest but considering they start out with 25,000.00/year people aren't exactly running for the position. Especially since they took a cut in this past contract. Our MTA had some balls! They did a good job crippling the city for what they wanted and I hope NWA F/A'S do the same damn thing! I hope when your force comes in for a cut your the first in line to sign up for a 40% cut after 30 years of service, but by then you'll be crying how you risk your life and BLAH BLAH BLAH..... So hopefully they can train a bunch of donut eaters quick enough to replace you when it happens. I mean in the end your job is easy and for people who didn't graduate college.....
"TWA... One Mission, Yours."

TWFirst

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:14 pm

Quoting ANNOYEDFA (Reply 27):
Our MTA had some balls! They did a good job crippling the city for what they wanted and I hope NWA F/A'S do the same damn thing!

Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

Your posts are always good for a laugh. Yes, the MTA DID have some balls. You're obviously relying on the fact that KaiGwyer isn't from NYC and doesn't know anything about the ILLEGAL strike that the TWU (NOT the MTA) pulled for.......are you ready ladies and gents.... not wanting to contribute ANYTHING towards their health insurance. They currently don't contribute a dime, and don't want to. Isn't that admirable? A station sweeper makes more than those starting entry-level jobs right out of college, and the TWU doesn't think they should have to pay anything towards their health insurance. Anyhoo... what you neglected to mention, is that for causing the NYC economy MILLIONS during Christmastime, the TWU was FINED $3 million for the illegal strike, individual members were docked, and the union was denied from collecting dues from its members. And for WHAT? The TWU later voted on the contract and it failed by 7 votes, they still don't have a contract, and now they're forced into binding arbitration. ALL because they chose to strike instead of continue negotiating. And the public did NOT and does NOT support them.

BALLS? or IDIOCY?

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:38 pm

I mean in the end your job is easy and for people who didn't graduate college.....

Hmm...didn't graduate college? Considering I live in MN, it would be kinda hard. From the MN POST Board:
· To become eligible for a Minnesota Peace Officer License, students must earn a two- or four-year degree from one of twenty POST-certified Peace Officer education programs (list available). Interested individuals should contact any of the PPOE program coordinators for enrollment information. The coordinator can explain more about the program at that school and whether or not any previous course work may be applied toward their program.

And yes, there are many people out there who would be an F/A for what NW F/As make. Just look at all the people working at regionals, making way less than their counterparts in bigger planes.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

bhxdtw

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:55 pm

Is NW still considering BHX ???

joe

sllevin

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:07 am

If NW is filling this flight with FF members they are not going to make a dime on this route.

NW? Award availability? You must be joking!  Smile

Honestly, Hawaii fares are always quite significant compared to other markets -- they do nothing but make money.

Steve

MalpensaSFO

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:14 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Thread starter):
Others:
DTW-STT
DTW-ZIH
MEM-CZM
MSP-PUJ

Instead of increasing low yielding beach markets, why doesnt NWA management increase frequencies to LGA, DCA, BOS, LAX, or SFO?

Will we ever see NWA nonstop from the U.S. to Asia(outside of Japan), as we saw in the past to Hong Kong, Peking, and Seoul?
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

Jano

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:30 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 32):
Will we ever see NWA nonstop from the U.S. to Asia(outside of Japan), as we saw in the past to Hong Kong, Peking, and Seoul?

Yes, with the arrival of B787. There are 18 on order and 50 options. In fact NWA is the B787 North American launch customer.
The Widget Air Line :)

MalpensaSFO

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:32 am

Quoting Jano (Reply 33):
Yes, with the arrival of B787. There are 18 on order and 50 options. In fact NWA is the B787 North American launch customer.

Wasnt there talk of the 787 order tanking considering the even larger loss margin this past period with NWA? How can NWA keep aircraft on order while asking for more wage cuts?
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

supa7E7

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:34 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 32):
Instead of increasing low yielding beach markets, why doesnt NWA management increase frequencies to LGA, DCA, BOS, LAX, or SFO?

I think NW knows exactly where the money is. They don't need fanciful sorts of guesses from me or you.

Our MTA had some balls! They did a good job crippling the city for what they wanted and I hope NWA F/A'S do the same damn thing!

I guess you cheer for bank robbers too. They get what they want and don't care about society.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

MalpensaSFO

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:52 am

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 35):
I think NW knows exactly where the money is.

Why was DTW-PEK cut? Considering that we now see AA, CO, UA daily to China nonstop from the United States..
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

Jano

Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:14 pm

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 34):
Wasnt there talk of the 787 order tanking considering the even larger loss margin this past period with NWA?

Nope, that would not make sense. They need to survive next 4 -5 years so that the effects of 787 in the fleet were visible -> profit. If they cancel 787 and manage survive then the profits will come much later since they would not have a smaller TPAC widebody aircraft, the type the desperatelly need to overfly NRT.

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 34):
How can NWA keep aircraft on order while asking for more wage cuts?

Because that's the way to make money and return some of the givebacks to the employees. As long as Boeing delivers what they promise then NWA will be able to fly direct at a lower CASM (I guessing) than their competitors not operating B787 and maybe A380 (providing they can fill it up).

In fact in not too distant future, supposing NWA survives, they will have a very young long haul fleet consisting of
- 30+ A330s (made in 2003 or later)
- plus those 18 new B787 and maybe some converted options
- about 14? B744, which are not too old either.

Jano

Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:21 pm

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 36):
Why was DTW-PEK cut? Considering that we now see AA, CO, UA daily to China nonstop from the United States..

What type of aircraft do they mostly fly to China? What type of aircraft NW does not have?

MalpensaSFO

Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:22 pm

Quoting Jano (Reply 38):
What type of aircraft do they mostly fly to China? What type of aircraft NW does not have?

The route was flown nonstop with a 747-400, there are plenty of 747-400 still in the fleet. For example they are now being used on HKG-NRT, NRT-LAX, NRT-HNL, NRT-DTW, NRT-DTW, NGO-DTW, NGO-MNL among others.

Quoting Jano (Reply 37):
- about 14? B744, which are not too old either.

The number of 747-400 in the fleet has decreased greatly in the past few years.
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

bobnwa

Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:27 pm

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 39):

Wrong, prove it!!

MalpensaSFO

Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:43 pm

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 40):
Wrong, prove it!!

Take a look in the desert!

In addition please note that routes that once had the 744 such as JFK, AMS, BKK, PEK are now without the 747-400 equipment. Where did the 747-400's go that were used on those routes?

[Edited 2006-08-11 14:46:20]
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

bobnwa

Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:49 pm

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 41):
Take a look in the desert!

In addition please note that routes that once had the 744 such as JFK, AMS, BKK, TPE, PVG, PEK are now without the 747-400 equipment. Where did the 747-400's go that were used on those routes?

Again you did not give facts . NWA has not decreased greatly its number of 747-400's. Give me some numbers. They have 14 today. How many did they have at the highest point? Please give me a number, not hyperbole.

Jano

Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:07 pm

The route was flown nonstop with a 747-400, there are plenty of 747-400 still in the fleet. For example they are now being used on HKG-NRT, NRT-LAX, NRT-HNL, NRT-DTW, NRT-DTW, NGO-DTW, NGO-MNL among others.

Yet what aircraft changed the game in TPAC?

Is putting the B744 aircraft on DTW-PEK the best allocation of resources?

Nonsense. It's not difficult to find out what was the peak number. I could even tell you. But it would be much better if you did the number digging and then corrected the above statement of yours.

[Edited 2006-08-11 15:11:22]

MalpensaSFO

Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:08 pm

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 42):
Again you did not give facts . NWA has not decreased greatly its number of 747-400's. Give me some numbers. They have 14 today. How many did they have at the highest point? Please give me a number, not hyperbole.

If memory serves correct NWA at one point had in excess of 18 747-400's. Of course this may very well have been at the time that AMS-DEL, JFK-AMS, JFK-NRT, DTW-AMS, DTW-PEK, DTW-PVG, MSP-AMS were flown alongside each other. If the number was 18, then NWA has decreased its 747-400 fleet by about 20%, that is a large drop for any airlines fleet.
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

bobnwa

Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:10 pm

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 44):
If memory serves correct NWA at one point had in excess of 18 747-400's

Youir memory does not serve you correct. Try another number!!!

MalpensaSFO

Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:59 pm

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 45):
Youir memory does not serve you correct. Try another number!!!

Please inform as to what that number was.. Since I am incorrect..  sarcastic 
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

bobnwa

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:31 pm

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 46):
Please inform as to what that number was.. Since I am incorrect

I believe the most they owned was 14 and they still own 14. Could be off by 1 or 2 but those are my numbers.

Continental

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:34 pm

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 44):
If the number was 18, then NWA has decreased its 747-400 fleet by about 20%, that is a large drop for any airlines fleet.

Well, if an airline had 2 777s and got rid of one, they'd be losing 50% of their 777 fleet!

MalpensaSFO

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:37 pm

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 47):
I believe the most they owned was 14 and they still own 14. Could be off by 1 or 2 but those are my numbers

Lets agree on 16. Since the link below says 16.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Airlines

However, you are correct in saying that the current fleet is at 14. Although, there are some websites that say that number is now at 13.

http://ir.nwa.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=111021&p=irol-fleet
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos