EI321
Topic Author

Ryanair Launch 12 New Routes From Dublin

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:52 pm

Heres the story:

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news....r=06&month=aug&story=rte-en-090806

As if DUB was not overcrowded enough already!

Toulouse

RE: Ryanair Launch 12 New Routes From Dublin

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:55 pm

Already being discussed in the 9th Irish aviation thread.

Quoting EI321 (Thread starter):
As if DUB was not overcrowded enough already!

Fully agree with you. Can you imagine what boarding area A is going to be like now?
Long live Aer Lingus!

cwldude

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:56 pm

He really needs to get real!

Im be ashamed to call FR my countrie's national carrier, I love the way they fail to mention any long haul routes that EI offer.

That's another reason why I hate Ryanair, they can't just start new routes and get on with it like everyone else, they have to ridicule another airline or someone else to go along with it!
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

Toulouse

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:07 pm

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 2):

Im be ashamed to call FR my countrie's national carrier, I love the way they fail to mention any long haul routes that EI offer.

That's another reason why I hate Ryanair, they can't just start new routes and get on with it like everyone else, they have to ridicule another airline or someone else to go along with it!

I so fully agree with you. As far as I'm conecrned and many Irish people I'd say, as long as EI are around, and with their 75 years of history I hope they will be around for very long, Aer Lingus is and will always be our national airline. FR a national airline... what a JOKE. Mol reallly is incredible with some of the rubbish he comes out with.
Long live Aer Lingus!

EI321
Topic Author

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:08 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 1):
Fully agree with you. Can you imagine what boarding area A is going to be like now?

It wont be so bad for the winter as they will just take the slack from the flights which operate in summer only like AC, but these new routes are year round, so if Pier D is not ready by next summer the airport will be hell for passengers.

Im be ashamed to call FR my countrie's national carrier,

They are of course not the national carrier, only FR themselves are claiming this. Its a laughable notion  rotfl 

Clogman

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:09 pm

I gotta say that I'm surprised that they chosed Billund. I think its cool. But I hoped that they would have chosen KRP instead. But they are probably to damn expensive as usual.

diesel1

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:13 pm

If I was Irish I think I could be very proud of what Ryanair has achieved. A hugely successful business operation, one the leaders in its market sector in Europe.

Whilst FR does not have the same level of 'Irishness' that Aer Lingus have - though with EI's move to being a LCC it becomes difficult for them to continue to provide that difference - all the facts and figures behind the spin that MO'L provides are true.

Would you really prefer there to be no FR and for the level of choice and additional destinations to travellers it provides not to be available?
I don't like signatures...

Bobski

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:23 pm

God I hate Ryanair. Is it really necessary to act like you're a 3 year old child going "my airline's bigger than Aer Lingus, nya nya na nya nya". It really is pathetic.

As an aside, on average my trips between Dublin and Birmingham with Aer Lingus are CHEAPER than Ryanair. Ryanair's service is rubbish as well. If I have a late flight and a legitimate complaint (ie the flight being nearly 2 hours late, and boarding the plane being a nightmare with passengers barging and shoving whilst the Ryanair people look on not giving a damn) then I expect it to be dealt with, or at least to get an apology for the poor service (I'm not that fussed about compensation). I do NOT expect a politely worded "p*ss off, your flight was delayed by less than 2 hours so by law we don't have to care" from Ryanair!

Aer Lingus wins hands down every time for me. I now only fly with them to the UK.
Who is Benjamin Breeg?

UpperDeck79

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:24 pm

Great for TMP! Tampere will now have 5 FR destinations: Riga, Hahn, Liverpool, Stansted and Dublin.

I've never tried FR before, but I just booked a weekend trip to DUB for next year.  Smile
AY and ANA rock!

cwldude

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:36 pm

Quoting Diesel1 (Reply 6):
Would you really prefer there to be no FR and for the level of choice and additional destinations to travellers it provides not to be available?

It wouldn't make no difference to me, I would never, ever, ever, fly Ryanair!

If I had 2 options of getting from A to B, one being direct with Ryanair, the other being by going via 3 other airports... I'd go with the 3 other airports.

They really are, just... shit!
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

diesel1

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:45 pm

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 9):

I'd worked out your opinion already... that's a very mature way of putting it.

Why not try answering the question I posed.

Incidentally, the 30+million passengers expected to travel FR this year... they're all wrong are they?

LTU932

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:48 pm

Thrice weekly to FDH? Whatever happened to the proposed BRE route, or is that going to happen for the summer season?

cwldude

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:04 am

Quoting Diesel1 (Reply 6):
Would you really prefer

Quoting Diesel1 (Reply 10):
Why not try answering the question I posed.

It wouldn't make no difference to me

You asked my opinion, you got it, just because you don't like it, doesn't really bother me?

Yes, right, they have their success, well done to them for getting this far, but, as said, they are a real sour, childish airline, and they haven't won their success fairly.

I know most of you think that I don't like FR because they left CWL, but I actually never liked them in the first place, simply for the reasons:
- MOl is the biggest dick head ever to grace this planet
- They ridicule airports and airlines if they're a threat, insted of taking competition seriously, and dealing with it fairly
- My idea of a good airline is one that won't leave you stranded in an airport if they cancel your flight, one that offers a decent service, one who's crew do care for your needs, one that is fair to, and appreciates it's passengers.

As for the 30M passengers, they pay pittence for their flight, and you'll find that probably at least 20M of them will be dis-satisfied with what they got.

I'd rather pay that little bit extra, and be guaranteed a safe, enjoyable journey!

cornish

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:16 am

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 12):
know most of you think that I don't like FR because they left CWL, but I actually never liked them in the first place,

But no doubt had they launched 12 new routes out of CWL you'd have been cheering them from the rooftops  Wink

If I had 2 options of getting from A to B, one being direct with Ryanair, the other being by going via 3 other airports... I'd go with the 3 other airports.

Even if one of them was BRS ??  duck 
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

diesel1

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:31 am

You asked my opinion, you got it, just because you don't like it, doesn't really bother me?

I think you're confused. I haven't said I disagree with your opinion. I'm trying to have a reasoned discussion around the points you raise...

Yes, right, they have their success, well done to them for getting this far, but... they haven't won their success fairly.

In what ways do you mean that "they haven't won their success fairly"?

MOl is the biggest dick head ever to grace this planet

Don't be silly.

They ridicule airports and airlines if they're a threat, insted of taking competition seriously, and dealing with it fairly

This is an interesting point...

My idea of a good airline is one that won't leave you stranded in an airport if they cancel your flight, one that offers a decent service, one who's crew do care for your needs, one that is fair to, and appreciates it's passengers

FR offer exactly what they describe as their service. As consumers it is our choice whether we use them or not.

As for the 30M passengers, they pay pittence for their flight, and you'll find that probably at least 20M of them will be dis-satisfied with what they got.

Again, don't be silly.

I'd rather pay that little bit extra, and be guaranteed a safe, enjoyable journey!

That's quite an allegation to make that FR are not safe... care to back it up with some facts that prove your assertion?

cwldude

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:31 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 13):

But no doubt had they launched 12 new routes out of CWL you'd have been cheering them from the rooftops

Absolutely not.

Quoting Cornish (Reply 13):
Even if one of them was BRS ??

Grow up! oh... and a little FYI... I flew from BRS last year.

StarGoldLHR

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:42 am

That makes you:

1. Airline Snob
2. A.netter
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

ryanairCRL

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:43 am

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 16):
That makes you:

1. Airline Snob
2. A.netter

bigthumbsup 
http://flyingtom.myphotoalbum.com

StarGoldLHR

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:46 am

Ryanair is the Carlsberg of the air...

Cheap, Cheerful and reaches the parts other airlines cannot reach.

Ryanair is successful by linking nowhere to nowhere... or some nowhere hub to nowhere

this is the parts no other airline can reach
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

yow

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:52 am

While FR might lay claim to being Ireland's 'National Carrier' EI can claim they're the country's 'International Flag Carrier', something I'd be a lot more proud of than just a national airline.

I'm not out to bash FR, I'm flying with them in November.

diesel1

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:53 am

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 18):

No... Heineken

Heineken refreshed the parts other beers could not reach.

Carlsberg is 'probably the best beer in the world'

So maybe you're mixing your slogans and you find Ryanair refreshing and probably the best airline in the world?

[Edited 2006-08-09 18:01:39]

LOT767-300ER

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:53 am

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 18):

I would say Budweiser or Miller Lite..you're putting down Carlsberg unfairly mate.

DAYflyer

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:55 am

How many routes do they now have from Dublin?
One Nation Under God

diesel1

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:58 am

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 22):

Follow the link in the thread starting post...

cornish

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:08 am

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 15):
Grow up!

Oh no chance of that mate - anyhow my day job means i can afford to have some light fun on here.

I don't particularly like Ryanair either - they wouldn't be my choice to fly, and with LHR being my local airport they're not a convenient option either.

Having said that, putting my industry hat back on, I have to admire them tremendously for what they have done. Many people may not like they're style, but it could be argued that without that approach they would never have become the success they are. For many, many people they have made flying affordable and convenient. As a Cornishman, I know damn well that NQY airport was doing very little until Ryanair came along and showed what could be done. Without that there would likely be no Baby services, flyBe, and with more to come. and other airports can say the same.

But if I had a local airport without a great deal of service and Ryanair came along and announced 12 new routes across Europe, frankly I'd be delighted.

But it is obvious from your posts that there is a lot of sour grapes. Get the chip off your shoulder and lose the attitude, remove the rose tinted specs and then I'm sure you will have plenty of useful comments to offer this forum. You're clearly no fool, but you're doing yourself no favours with the petty comments.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

shamrock350

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:32 am

I am not a great fan of FR, I have had four flights with them and three of the flights were not what I would expect from an airline in terms of service, I don't know much about the service on easyjet or bmibaby but if they are as bad it makes me wonder why people still fly these LCC's even if they are dirt cheap.
If Ryanair succeeded and became the only airline in Ireland I still wouldn't fly them, in fact I would start using Irish Ferries!

EI321
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:34 am

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 22):

shamrock350

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:57 am

Aer Lingus have 61 routes from Dublin, that is if I counted right. Both airlines are quite equal in size at DUB.

[Edited 2006-08-09 19:16:40]

cwldude

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:58 am

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 16):
That makes you:

1. Airline Snob

Maybe I am, but at least as a result I get good services, satisfactory levels of... well... everything, decent comfort, I haven't got to run for a good seat, I'm never left stranded with no-one to talk to and nowhere to go, and I always have pleasant flight experiences.

Ryanair is my idea of taking the fun out fo flying, going Ryanair is more like catching a bus or a train, which isn't what flying is all about...

Quoting Cornish (Reply 24):
NQY airport was doing very little until Ryanair came along and showed what could be done

Sorry, but, if it wasn't for FR reducing their services at NQY, then WOW wouldn't have come along, and I believe that the baby, monarch, flybe etc. also all came along after FR cut their services, so, really, just like at CWL, Ryanair (practically) leaving was a good thing, more so than them being there?

Quoting Cornish (Reply 24):
But it is obvious from your posts that there is a lot of sour grapes.

Not at all, my 100% favourite airline is Thomsonfly, I know they'll never be as big as Ryanair are, but I'd rather support a small airline with better service and generally more satisfied passengers (okay TOM definately have their problems atm, but at least they work on them), than a huge airline who offer nothing but a seat.

Fair enough, if people want just a seat, let them go for it, but as far as I'm concerned, FR shouldnt be trying to knock other airlines out of the skies by ridiculing them, if they continue to do so, there'll be a time in the future, where most airlines offer 'seat only', and pitty help us all then!

cwldude

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:07 am

Sorry I seem to have missed this post earlier... just a few comments...

Quoting Diesel1 (Reply 14):
In what ways do you mean that "they haven't won their success fairly"?

As I've said on numerous occasions, they win passengers, through picking out the bad points in other airlines, exactly what they've done with EI now, there is nothing wrong with EI, but for some reason they're troubled enough as it is, they don't need FR making it any worse...

Quoting Diesel1 (Reply 14):
That's quite an allegation to make that FR are not safe... care to back it up with some facts that prove your assertion?

I didn't actually say they weren't safe... but I wouldn't be surprised if they pull some strings here and there... however, do we all remember that programme a few months back, where the reporter went behind the scenes and did the whole cabin crew training and everything with FR at STN, I seem to recall that bringing up enough safety issues to put me off!

cornish

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:09 am

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 28):
Sorry, but, if it wasn't for FR reducing their services at NQY, then WOW wouldn't have come along, and I believe that the baby, monarch, flybe etc. also all came along after FR cut their services, so, really, just like at CWL, Ryanair (practically) leaving was a good thing, more so than them being there?

Erm sorry but you are in no position to tell me what happened at NQY. I'm actually in a position to know what the reality there is.

FR have only ever served Stansted from NQY and they cut back on service AFTER baby started up from MME and BHX.

What FR did was to successfully show that there was a market for cheap LCC leisure flights to NQY as an aside from the previous business focussed BA services of the past (which air southwest has also changed). FR showed that LCC flights to the West Country from the rest of the UK were viable.

without that it would have been extremely hard to have attracted WOW or BE.

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 29):
As I've said on numerous occasions, they win passengers, through picking out the bad points in other airlines,

no they win passengers by offering extremely low fares (much of the time)

greenjet

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:50 am

Quoting EI321 (Reply 4):
so if Pier D is not ready by next summer the airport will be hell for passengers.

Don't worry the tent on top of the short term car park will be the answer to all of the DAA's problems  Smile

So that's why they get so much repeat business then?

I didn't actually say they weren't safe... but I wouldn't be surprised if they pull some strings here and there... however, do we all remember that programme a few months back, where the reporter went behind the scenes and did the whole cabin crew training and everything with FR at STN, I seem to recall that bringing up enough safety issues to put me off!

That programme was just a bit of sensationalist tabloid TV tripe. Do you think anything you saw on that programme doesn't go on at other airlines?

planesarecool

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:52 am

Sorry, but, if it wasn't for FR reducing their services at NQY, then WOW wouldn't have come along

Wrong. WOW came along after BACX dropped it's Gatwick base and thus dropped it's Gatwick-Plymouth/Bristol-Newquay services. It took an ex-Brymon/BACX aircraft and started up it's sole route to Gatwick. From there, it expanded and became what it is today. This was all long before Ryanair cut services there.

decent comfort

FR aircraft are adequately comfortable.

I haven't got to run for a good seat

You don't have to with FR - just be one of the first 90 to check in, which means arriving at the airport at least 1hr 30mins before a flight. Baring in mind that with any other airline you're likely to arrive at the airport about that same time before anyway.

Ryanair is my idea of taking the fun out fo flying, going Ryanair is more like catching a bus or a train, which isn't what flying is all about...

Get real. Flying is a convenient way for somebody to get from A to B, which Ryanair provide.

As I've said on numerous occasions, they win passengers, through picking out the bad points in other airlines, exactly what they've done with EI now, there is nothing wrong with EI, but for some reason they're troubled enough as it is, they don't need FR making it any worse...

No they win passenegrs by flying from an airport where people want to fly from to an airport where they want to fly to, with good timings, and good prices - just like any other airline.

MOl is the biggest dick head ever to grace this planet

Immature.  Yeah sure

Immature  Yeah sure

and be guaranteed a safe,

So you'd feel safer on a Thomsonfly B737-300, than a brand new FR B737-800?

Almeriabound

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:02 pm

Have just checked flights in February from Almeria to Dublin... they start at €0.01, so can't complain really. Great news for Almeria - although guess it will drive off either Aer Lingus or Eirjet, who both currently have two weekly flights from Ireland,........ at much higher prices.

Great news - might book a weekend in DUB after all.

Saludos from Almeria
Mike Barker in Almeria

CXA330300

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:26 pm

Ryanair is a passing fad. Their rapid expansion and worsening "service" -what of it existed anyway-will begin to eat them alive, and if an accident happens, kiss O'Leary goodbye..........

And unlike EK, Ryanair does not have the backing of sheiks or a logically centred network to back them up (EK is growing too fast, but is here to stay).

Agreed. Enthusiastically.
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

BCAL

Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:18 pm

but at least as a result I get good services, satisfactory levels of... well... everything, decent comfort, I haven't got to run for a good seat, I'm never left stranded with no-one to talk to and nowhere to go, and I always have pleasant flight experiences.

If you want good services, satisfactory levels of everything, then it is your choice to fly the full-service legacy carriers. Many other people simply want to get from A to B at a cheap fare, otherwise why excatly do 115,000 people fly with FR daily. The chances of being stranded with no-one to talk to and nowehere to go are 0.0000086 with FR, and furthermore you can take trip insurance to reduce these odds even further. If you are stranded without trip insurance, then it is your problem.

going Ryanair is more like catching a bus or a train

Exactly what they set out to do, so what's your problem?

which isn't what flying is all about...

Says who? Of course we would love to see a return to the glorious days of flying, full-service frills etc, just as we would love to see a return to the days when call centres did not exist and you could speak to a human "customer service agent" in person, but times have moved on.

FR shouldnt be trying to knock other airlines out of the skies by ridiculing them,

So it is OK for Virgin/Branson to ridicule other airlines, particularly BA, but for FR it is strictly prohibited from doing so?

but I wouldn't be surprised if they pull some strings here and there... however, do we all remember that programme a few months back, where the reporter went behind the scenes and did the whole cabin crew training and everything with FR at STN, I seem to recall that bringing up enough safety issues to put me off!

Do some research and you will find neither the UK or Irish Civil Aviation Authorities have found any evidence to back the claims made on the programme and there was nothing of substance in the programme to justify opening any investigation into FR's safety, security or operations. The reporters had less than six-months on job experience, compared with many years experience of the investigators at the UK and Irish CAAs

- MOl is the biggest dick head ever to grace this planet

What a juvenile comment - oh wait your profile shows you are 16-20.

Quoting CXA330300 (Reply 34):
if an accident happens, kiss O'Leary goodbye..........

Something that MOL knows full well and he has repeatedly said, "a major accident could kill FR" so there is no compromise of safety issues. Low cost does not necessarily mean low safety. There is a slogan written in FR's offices, something along the lines "If you think safety is expensive, think of the cost of an accident!"

[Edited 2006-08-10 10:21:27]
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

Pe@rson

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:52 pm

Frankly, most of you are spewing so much manure you’re clearly just ignorant fools to such a degree that you’re ludicrous.

Why don’t you actually read a proper report on FR by an independent group of experts, like Davy Stockbrokers? Then you’ll get the actual picture of the success of FR throughout continental Europe. Instead, you are content to submit lies, stupid lies, based on your own opinions – not facts – and prejudices. It’s so sad and immature it’s unbelievable. And it's not indicative of the real situation.

Yes, FR does, in general, have a bad image throughout the UK and Ireland – but not so on the continent. Indeed, the report - and me - admit than the press in the UK and Ireland perceive FR to simply offer very low fares and poor, very basic service - but this is a myth. Indeed, the report showed that the mayor of Wroclaw said that when he thinks of FR he thinks of quality, safety, reliability and reputation. This is confirmed by the report saying how Italians happily fly FR to and from London and stay in 5* hotels in London.

Now, let’s look at figures based on a survey of over 20,000 FR customers.

Contrary to perception, a lot of businesspeople fly FR – 23.15% of its total, in fact. Then 37.57% for leisure and 39.29% for VFR.

Repeat business is staggering – 83.17% had flown FR more than once.

Of those who fly FR, 0.23% were under 18; 9.94% were 18-24; 24.37% were 25-34; 21.59% were 35-44; 22.31% were 45-54; 17.30% were 55-64; and 4.36% were 65+.

Clearly, not an airline for young, penniless backpackers travelling purely for leisure reasons. So, another myth dispelled.

There’s lots of categories and lots of statistics, all of which prove that FR is rated, by its customers, as being excellent, good or average. There aren’t many poor or very poor ratings in comparison those which are excellent, good or average.

I’ll copy-and-paste the findings of the analysts from each section of the survey:

Customer profile:

There is a pretty even split between business, leisure and VFR traffic. The Ryanair product is attractive to all segments of the market and should not be pigeonholed into just being for leisure consumers. Implication: the whole pan-European consumer market is up for grabs.

Repeat business is huge, indicating a positive customer experience.

There is a fairly even distribution between age groups. Ryanair should not be pigeonholed as the airline for students of backpackers.

Check-in:

Check-in is relatively fast (web check-in will improve this).

Staff are friendly, professional and efficient.

Boarding and departure:

On-time performance is very important and Ryanair knows it.

Staff performance is satisfactory in the eyes of the consumer.

In-flight experience:

Efficiency is the key. Even legroom is viewed as OK (it helps, of course, to have an average flight time of one hour and 30 minutes) and consumers like that the seats do not recline.

Consumers will not in the main pay for legroom, presumably given the nature of the product.

In the main, the cabin environment was considered good.

Service was generally perceived as good, professional and responsive. We can see a pattern here of consistency in the consumer experience. (Note from me: refer back to the huge amount of repeat customers.)

The product and spend for food and drink is only average but the product tends to be standardised as cost efficiency and operational considerations preclude catering for a multitude of European tastes.

Overall experience:

The overall experience is very positive (note by me: 25.95% rated their FR experience as excellent; 55.3% as good; 14.95% as average; 2.13% as poor; and 1.62% as very poor). It is clear that Ryanair knows its customers and is providing a product that consumers value.

Customer service is actually high on Ryanair’s agenda, provided it does not come at a cost – it delivers what matters to consumers (note by me: the lowest fares; unbeatable puntuality; simplicity; and the fewest lost bags.)

One area of improvement appears to be on-board sales, which, while modestly improving, are not much above 1.30 EUR per passenger. Homogeneity and commoditisation are needed here from a cost perspective. Therefore, while some improvements have been made, we would not expect, for example, to suit one particular national or ethnic tastes.

Consumers perception is only likely to improve.

----

I am utterly pleased that Ryanair - which will carry over 42 million customers next year and 100 million by 2012 - is expanding still further from its DUB base. I am particularly happy that new destinations will be served - namely MAD and BLL - rather than simply serve existing destinations. I am exceedingly pleased about MAD (24 EUR (£16) all-in A.T.M. DUB-MAD-DUB.)

There is enormous growth potential throughout Europe, but particularly on the continent. Ryanair is Europe's leading low-cost airline and will not fail but rather grow still further in terms of profit, routes, numbers of customers (100 million by 2012), numbers of destinations, numbers of bases (up to 3 in Poland; up to 6 more in Germany; up to 4 more in Italy; up to 7 more in Spain; up to 4 more in France; up to 2 more in both the UK and Scandinavia; and 1 in Slovakia, the Netherlands, Portugal and Lativa. Then there's all the new countries, such as Morocco, Turkey and the Ukraine, to consider) and aircraft. Moreover, no other airline can - or will ever - meet its unmatchably low costs and sustainably offer such low fares. Indeed, Ryanair is effectively overwhelmingly untouchable - and the fact that it has a very much adaptive culture simply adds to that.

[Edited 2006-08-10 15:02:01]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Toulouse

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:52 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 36):
but not so on the continent.

Pe@rson, while you don't seem to respect people who dislike FR (and I am one of them) I respect and agree with a lot of what you said in the post.

Just one thing regarding I totally disagree with is what I have quoted above. FR gets terrible press on the continent as well (I live in France and have read awful stuff about them in the press, as was my experience when living in Spain). I know quite a number of French friends here who REFUSE to fly Ryanair (and most of these people are seasoned flyers).

That aside, the success of FR is undeniable. Michael O'Leary deserves every respect for what he has turned Ryanair into, 20 years ago who what have ever thought that a small Irish airline would become one of the leading carriers in Europe, with bases throughout Europe, carry more passengers than most of the majors? Very few people indeed, if any. But MOL has done that. And for this I respect him, yet I admit I dispise his arrogance, his public appearences and his cheap marketing stunts aimed at degrading everyone else. But obviously a lot of people are taken in for this.

I remember I time (I'm just in my early 30's) no so long ago when if I got a return MAD-DUB-MAD fare for under 50.000 pesetas (around €300), and that was on a student fare, I was happy. Now if I have to pay more than €200 max I get a bit upset, and all this is thanks to FR.

Nevertheless, I am not an "ignorant fool" spewing "ludicrous" "manure" as you so elegantly put it just because I don't like Ryanair and won't fly them. Sometimes I do admit the irony of this, as I have never flown them, but my opinion is based on my general image of the airline, not very positive stories/experiences friends and family have had while flying FR and a couple of recommendations I was given by friends who were FR staff (admittidely a good number of years back) which was to "stay clear of the airline unless they were flying!). I have always loved aviation, and as an Irish person and a strong admirer of Aer Lingus, I have always remained faithful to them and will continue to do so (this is not to say that I have on occassion had reason to complain to them), and today there route network just happens to suit me, there fares are good if you book intime, I get my miles, I enjoy their Irish breakfast even if I have to pay for it, I like their a/c, I find their crews to be generally professional and friendly, and their pilots to be amongst the friendliest around regarding keeping passengers updated, and I can use their lounges when waiting at airports, it has been years since I've had an EI flight delayed by more than about 40 minutes, so why give my business to somebody else? Maybe if I lived in some remote part of Poland and have no other realistic choice than FR, maybe then I would take the big step, yet I doubt it. Even at my local airport TLS which EI has now dropped in winter, I prefer to take AF to CDG and change to EI or drive to BOD for an EI flight instead of doing the 50 minute drive to nearby Carcassonne and flying direct to DUB with FR. On my freqent MAD-DUB-MAD flights I will continue to use EI or IB.
That's just me, and you should not insult me or anybody else for "our" opinions, which are shared by many, and clearly not shared by many others (proof the high number of pax FR gets).
That's my rant over for now!
Long live Aer Lingus!

Pe@rson

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:59 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 37):
I have never flown them

That undermines everything you have said.

That's just me, and you should not insult me or anybody else for "our" opinions

Take it as you wish. But if you or anyone submits nonsense based on sheer bias, hatred and the ill-informed views of others, then I will happy speak my mind. Stick with the truth, then I'd have nothing to moan about. Simple, really. But that won't happen, will it? Why? Because the truth is substantially different - and better - than you'd like it to be. So you ignore the true picture - as evidenced by the statistics I submitted - and instead concentrate on nitpicking.

). I know quite a number of French friends here who REFUSE to fly Ryanair.

That's nice. Just like I know people who REFUSE to fly BA. What does that tell you? It tells you that people can and will choose whoever they want to fly with - and rightly so. It tells you that people can make up their own minds. It tells you it's all subjective. It tells you that people have a choice and are exercising free will. And it tells you that many millions of people would rate BA as excellent or good - just like they do FR. So, all your nitpicking is rather inconsequencial when you look at the real picture.

As for your friends who REFUSE to fly with FR, so what? Evidently, millions fly FR to and from France - a figure which is increasing.

So what if a Briton refuses to fly BA, VS or any other carrier?

All that matters are the facts - and they speak volumes about the real situation.

[Edited 2006-08-10 17:02:39]

[Edited 2006-08-10 17:04:31]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Toulouse

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:39 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 38):
I have never flown them

That undermines everything you have said.

You interestingly failed to quote the whole part of what I said. I'll repeat the quote for you to show that I do realise the naievity of it, but it's my opinion. PERIOD.

Sometimes I do admit the irony of this, as I have never flown them

But if you or anyone submits nonsense based on sheer bias, hatred and the ill-informed views of others, then I will happy speak my mind.

Who said it's nonsense. It's NOT nonsense just because you don't agree with it Pearson.

). I know quite a number of French friends here who REFUSE to fly Ryanair.

That's nice. Just like I know people who REFUSE to fly BA. What does that tell you?

Just responding to your quote that while the image of FR in Ireland and the UK is some what tarnished, that is not the case in continental Europe.

Do I take it you're an FR fan Pe@rson? No harm in that, it's your choice, fine I respect that, and thus you should respect my opinions.

You say you know lots of people who won't fly BA, which I'm sure is possible, but do you not at least see that there must be something to the fact that there is more bashing regarding FR than just about any other airline?

Anyway, you're happy with FR, so great for you. I don't want to fly FR, so great for me. End of story. Cheers!
Long live Aer Lingus!

Pe@rson

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:42 am

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 39):
there is more bashing regarding FR than just about any other airline?

Almost all of which is:

A) Based on myths - like its media profile - and not all-important truths;

B) Based on unfounded bias;

C) Based, in a lot of cases, on illogical hatred;

D) Based on what other people have experienced - which is frequency inaccurate;

E) Based on the fact the fact that they can't or won't admit the truth; and

F) Based on their geeky sentiments about how flying used to be.

Moreover, it is often from silly, immature teenagers who probably wouldn't be allowed to fly without their parents.

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 39):
You say you know lots of people who won't fly BA

I said I know people who wouldn't fly BA (and other airlines). One such person is myself. My flights with BA have, on the whole, been rather average - and certainly nothing outstanding or that memorable.

kaitak

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:27 am

I've flown FR on several occasions and while they wouldn't be my first choice (I was disappointed to see EZY pull out of SNN), I find it difficult to begrudge them some admiration.

I remember, many years ago, before the old 748s were a glint in Tony Ryan's eye, Citroen had an ad for the 2CV, which basically ran along the lines of "it's so reliable, because there's nothing than can go wrong" and proceeded to list the features it didn't have - no a/c, no electric windows, no this, no that and to me, FR is similar (although the 738 having notable performance advantages over the 2CV - apart from the sunroof). It gives you a ticket from A to B, under the terms it sets down - you see what you get, you pays your money, you takes your choice. You get a seat on an airplane from A to B. They have revolutionised European air transport; they had a vision and they went for it. I was one of those who thought FR was stark raving bonkers to go from 732s to 738s (why not go for 73Gs?), but they knew what they were doing.

Do I prefer them? No; I like EI - I prefer EI, but really, when all is said and done, there's not an awful lot of difference: you pay for your food, you'll soon pay for your baggage, etc etc. FR can be accused of having lowered the standard of European air transport; I say they've lowered the cost. And customers can see that's not just a flash in the pan. They are continuing to provide the lowest possible fares and the savings they make from dozens of little cost cutting measures here and there, make that possible.

I fear for EI; I would be absolutely heartbroken if FR were to push EI out of business and I really hope that EI can continue to compete against them, but I fear that EI is becoming another FR clone; does it have a choice? Possibly not, BUT sooner or later, people will ask "why pay €x more for EI, when we still have to pay for food and bags and we can't interline"?

FlyKev
Crew

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:09 am

Ive only flown FR once, however I paid just £30 for a flight, where the train cost me £144. Had I booked one day before, it would have been £15 rtn.
Fact is, I paid hardly anything for the flight, and in return, i was offered the chance to fly on a very new aircraft, a plane with decent legroom (more so i found, than charter) and most importantly, it got me from A to B.
At £30 should you expect gourmet meals and fine wines? The highest quality staff who are like your personal concierge service?
I doubt it.
FR set out to be the low fares airline, and they have suceeded.
All those who complain about them, tell me, what do you expect for a £30 flight?
Give FR a break, they do the job.

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

Toulouse

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:17 am

Quoting FlyKev (Reply 42):
FR set out to be the low fares airline, and they have suceeded.
All those who complain about them, tell me, what do you expect for a £30 flight?
Give FR a break, they do the job.

Kev I agree with all you say. That is why I choose not to fly FR, as I like more when flying, and believe me, on the routes I fly anyway, I can get much better service for similar prices to what FR offer, and sometimes even cheaper.
My sole problem with FR is their shameful publicity which frequently directly belittle their competitors. And secondly I do not want to see them harm EI beyond repair (on this note, KAITAK, I fully agree with your post).
So my only point is Kev, much to Pe@arson's surprise is that I don't like what FR offer, as in it's not what I want when flying. For others it's fine, and that's brilliant, and FR is undoubetly responsible for openning frequent air travel to many who couldn't do so before, which is great. And don't think I only fly business and have a huge wallet, not true unfrotuantely, but so far I've always been able to find an alternative to FR.
Long live Aer Lingus!

kazzie

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:25 am

Cwldude ,

Today FR got most of there flights out despite many other airlines cancelling..

Today wave baggage excess for all passengers

Today FR Held Aircraft for passengers who got caught up in security

Today FR cost itself thousands in delay fines, what for? For Passengers

Go on Bash them now....[SARCATIC}

As a LCC, Ryanair was absolutely brilliant towards its passengers today.. And Ill be honest, I felt great working on behalf of them today..

Now, This may always may not be the case, But they could have turned round and chaged excess, sent flights out on time and charged for flight transfers.... but they didnt.

Well Done Ryanair!
Bazinga punk.