planesarecool

Plot To Blow Up Aircraft Inflight Foiled

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:12 pm

Quote:
A major terrorist plot to blow up planes in mid-flight has been disrupted by police, Scotland Yard says.
It is thought the plan was to detonate explosive devices smuggled on board aircraft in hand luggage.

During the night, police arrested a number of people in London after a counter-terrorist operation they said had lasted several months.

Police believe the attacks would have been particularly targeted at flights from the UK to the US.

The Department for Transport said security at all UK airports has been increased.

Passengers on all flights will not be allowed to take any hand luggage on to any flights in the UK.

Only the barest essentials - including passports and wallets - will be allowed to be carried on board in transparent plastic bags.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4778575.stm

Just saw it on the BBC Breakfast news.

I guess we can expect a whole lot of delays today and in the coming days.

777fan

RE: Plot To Blow Up Aircraft Inflight Foiled

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:15 pm

Always eerie to hear but honestly not surprising. It's probably only a matter of time before someone attempts (and possibly succeeds) in earnest. Makes you wonder how many plots there are that don't get reported.

I'll reserve other comments for the non-av forum.

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

blueflyer

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:31 pm

Update on the initial BBC story:

BBC journalist Joe Lynam encountered the increased security measures at Gatwick airport.

"I was handed a piece of paper saying that pretty much nothing could be taken on board the plane," he said.

"Everything had to be checked in and that includes mobile phones, ipods, wallets - even spectacle cases had to be checked in."
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

alphonze

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:35 pm

Insanity. Utter, utter insanity. The day they tell me I must check my laptop and my book is the day I turn around from the check-in desk and go back home. With every passing day I am increasingly grateful that I have left the UK behind. Hurrah for Hong Kong, where one can still get metal cutlery airside (if one asks nicely).

777fan

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:39 pm

Stupid move (IMO) to have everything checked in. Just cuz you don't have to flip a switch doesn't mean something can't detonate. Way to tip off the terrorists, guys! IIRC, Pan Am 103's explosives were triggered by a barometric device that went off at a certain altitude.

What's next, no clothes? FWIW, I still blame the terrorists...

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

thomasphoto60

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:40 pm

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 2):

BBC journalist Joe Lynam encountered the increased security measures at Gatwick airport.

"I was handed a piece of paper saying that pretty much nothing could be taken on board the plane," he said.

"Everything had to be checked in and that includes mobile phones, ipods, wallets - even spectacle cases had to be checked in."

Let's hope this measure is short lived as I was planning to stop in London and visit some friends on my way back home to Houston in Oct. I'll be damned if I am going to surrender $10K worth of photo equipment to ground personel only to be tossed into the LD3 container along with a ton of other bags. If that is the case I'll make arrangements and head back to H-Town via LAX or SFO.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4778575.stm

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

blueflyer

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:46 pm

Quoting 777fan (Reply 4):
Stupid move (IMO) to have everything checked in. Just cuz you don't have to flip a switch doesn't mean something can't detonate.

We should wait for further details before making this kind of judgement. Perhaps the device in question is mechanical/chemical rather than eletric or electronic to avoid detection, and flipping some sort of switch (in the vaguest sense of the expression) is the only way of activating it... in which case distance alone is enough to render it harmless.

Or perhaps it is indeed overreaction... And I truly hope it is, as no doubt everyone else does.

[Edited 2006-08-10 07:47:47]

9VSPO

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:49 pm

Quoting 777fan (Reply 4):
What's next, no clothes?

That would make an interesting flight!
 Wink  Big grin

777fan

Hawaii Interisland Fare Wars Extended...Again!

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:53 pm

BTW, Fox News here in the US is reporting that up to 20 aircraft were to be blown up. FWIW, CNN here is running Anderson Cooper's 360!

The feed from SkyNews claims that flights between the UK and 10 US cities were to be targeted.

777fan

[Edited 2006-08-10 07:54:56]

rdwootty

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:00 pm

That will be interesting when the Ryanair/Easyjet passengers checkin after being told they can take 15kgs carry on and if you want to check stuff in it will cost!! Also Flybe. I expect many arguments when they want you to pay for a bag that is a carryon!!!

Ward86IND

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:01 pm

Quoting Alphonze (Reply 4):
Insanity. Utter, utter insanity. The day they tell me I must check my laptop and my book is the day I turn around from the check-in desk and go back home. With every passing day I am increasingly grateful that I have left the UK behind. Hurrah for Hong Kong, where one can still get metal cutlery airside (if one asks nicely).

Oh, so you would rather be blown to pieces at 35,000 feet? Come on...I'm a diabetic so I would have a REAL problem if something like this were to happen when I fly, but I wouldn't bitch because it would be in the best interest of everyone's safety. Besides I'm sure it's only temporary. Congrats to the police on the bust.

[Edited 2006-08-10 08:03:05]
Live your dream.

vfw614

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:01 pm

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/flightops/public/en_gb

"British Airways, acting on instruction from the UK Government, wishes to advise passengers that no items of hand baggage can be carried on board any aircraft departing any UK airport.

The UK Government has advised that this instruction will apply to all airlines operating from UK airports.

Passengers may only take through the airport security search point, the following items:

Travel documents essential for the journey (eg passports, tickets and visas)

Pocket sized wallets and pocked sized purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards and identity cards). Handbags are not permitted.

Prescribed medicines essential for the duration of the flight, except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.

Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.

Contact lenses, without bottles of solution

For those traveling with an infant: baby food, milk and sanitary items essential for the flight.

Keys (but no electrical key fobs).

Every other item must be carried in customer�s hold luggage.

For clarity, passengers are advised that no electrical or battery powered items including laptops, mobile phones, ipods, remote controls etc can be carried in the cabin and must be checked in as hold baggage.

Customers are advised to check-in as normal but to expect delays at all UK airports.

British Airways regrets any inconvenience caused.

Any customers not complying with this Government instruction will not be accepted for travel by British Airways."

ACDC8

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:04 pm

Quoting Planesarecool (Thread starter):
Passengers on all flights will not be allowed to take any hand luggage on to any flights in the UK.

Is that even possible? With the amount of carry-on items, and type of baggage, that people carry with them these days, I would find it very chaotic for the pax and airports to carry this out. I'm quite sure that many pax will raise a stink when they find out that they have to leave their laptops and such in the hold. Plus the chances of the items going missing or being mixed up is mind boggling.

It would also raise the question on how reliable airport security is. An explosive device should not be able to get through securtiy as is. Of course, there is no 100% guarantee on that, but there is also no 100% guarantee on the device not making it on board through the checked baggage security.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

707lvr

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:04 pm

CNN has switched over. Home Office raises threat level to "Critical," (highest)

blueflyer

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:07 pm

Statement from the UK Department for Transport on what can and cannot be taken onboard:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...cuments/page/dft_about_612280.hcsp

It places heavy emphasis on the ban of any product in liquid form (including perfume, alcohol, etc... from duty free). Exception is made for baby milk, but only if someone accompanying the baby samples the product in front of security staff.

All passengers will be hand-searched. All passengers on US-bound flights will go through secondary screening.

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 7):
That would make an interesting flight!

Unboxed tampons carried in a transparant plastic bag in full view of everyone interesting enough?

ANother

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:20 pm

What about all those connecting passengers, just now arriving at UK airports, with their laptops, duty free liquids, etc? Imagine these will be taken away at the gate but ... What a nightmare!

clipperhawaii

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:20 pm

There is no question that banning carry on luggage would be a major inconvenience. Higher scrutiny of any carry on should now occur perhaps with multiple checks. Start your check in 2 to 4 hours prior to departure now folks.

I wonder what specific profile those who were arrested will fall under? I think most of us already know the answer.

If you want to go after a specific object such as carry on's, that's fine. Perhaps we should go after those specific types of individuals who would carry specific items who would possibly do harm.

Profile.

If you carry a laptop. You match the profile. You fit the description of one form the Middle East. You match the profile.

Sorry, but that's the reality of today's world.

Enjoy your trip. At least you will have your hands free.
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

ACDC8

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:22 pm

Interestingly, this could make the boarding process much quicker, albeit with a very lengthy security screening.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

AeroWesty

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:24 pm

Quoting Clipperhawaii (Reply 16):
I wonder what specific profile those who were arrested will fall under? I think most of us already know the answer.

Timothy McVeigh types?
International Homo of Mystery

vfw614

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:26 pm

Hmmm, pretty boring long-haul flights then, I suppose. No papers, books, iPods etc. Particularly exciting on airlines that do not or only offer crappy IFE.

In addition to that, it is fair to say that airport retailers will not have much to sell in these days...

Given the usual chaos and waits at LHR security, I do not dare to to imagine what unbelievable chaos there will be at LHR.....

N174UA

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:30 pm

Quoting Alphonze (Reply 3):
Hurrah for Hong Kong, where one can still get metal cutlery airside (if one asks nicely).

Once the terrorists learn of this loophole and use it to attack a target, prepare yourself to lose this benefit.

What's being done on the US side? Can we still check in handbags and the like, i.e. is this limited to just flights departing UK?

blueflyer

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:34 pm

UK Home Secretary made an interesting statement on TV to the effect that British MPs knew about today's events for about a month (no telling how much details they were given) and had been told that it would be made public right about now, so it would indicate that a certain element of planning went into this elevated security level, rather than a last-minute rush to avoid a terrorist attack.

On the other hand, the security level being raised to "Critical" (imminent attack likely) would indicate that despite all this planning, there's no guarantee all would-be terrorists have been rounded-up (or identified).

[Edited 2006-08-10 08:37:20]

hawk44

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:35 pm

Look obviously this is a big inconvenience but lets remember what the results could be if this is not taken seriously.

If 20 widebody aircraft were to explode over the Atlantic or over the United States can you imagine what the result would be to commercial aviation all over the world.

And if this threat turns out to be real and it appears to be, then hat's off to our friends over in the UK for possibly saving countless lives.

Hawk44
Never under estimate the power of US

ANother

Quoting Vfw614 (Reply 11):
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/flightops/public/en_gb

It now also says this:

Customers not wishing to travel today (10Aug) can rebook to travel within the next 14 days in the same cabin. If you would like to discuss re-booking your flights, please contact your local British Airways office or travel agent, whichever issued your original travel documents.

vfw614

Ryanair has already cancelled dozens of flights for today:

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/fltinfo.php?

777fan

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:36 pm

Quoting Vfw614 (Reply 19):
Hmmm, pretty boring long-haul flights then, I suppose.

Oh, believe me, I'd be busy watching everyone and everything in that cabin! That'd "entertain" me from start to finish!

I'm waiting for the someone to "dismiss" the threat or claim that "profiling" was involved in the arrest. No doubt, the ACLU would already have posted bail for whomever was arrested!

It's amazing how similar this plot resembles the foiled plot that was supposed to take place on trans-Pacific flights to/from the US in the late 90s. That, like the Richard Reid case didn't occur out of sheer luck more than anything else.

777fan

planesarecool

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:39 pm

Apparently if you want to take baby milk onboard, the mother (or father) has to drink some of the milk to proove that it is just milk and nothing else.

joness0154

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:44 pm

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 26):
Apparently if you want to take baby milk onboard, the mother (or father) has to drink some of the milk to proove that it is just milk and nothing else.

Probably a threat that was using some type of liquid explosives. How they would get it by trace detection machines would be interesting to hear.

Anyways, hopefully the mother or father aren't using stored breast milk  Smile

At least BA is giving them the option to reschedule, so if you don't want to fly now you don't have to.
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

vfw614

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:47 pm

LTN airport says that they will not allow anyone not travelling into the terminal building.....

If this has been a long-planned clamp-down, I do not see the point of all these measures. If they have been following the plot for weeks and now arrested those involved, the security situation TODAY should be better than yesterday or last week when everybody was allowed cary-ons.

Anyway, it should be evident for everyone in charge that this cannot be continued for long.

hawk44

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:50 pm

Quoting Vfw614 (Reply 29):
If this has been a long-planned clamp-down, I do not see the point of all these measures. If they have been following the plot for weeks and now arrested those involved, the security situation TODAY should be better than yesterday or last week when everybody was allowed cary-ons.

It's a possibility that not all those involved have been caught or they are worried about a possible unknown second wave of attacks

Hawk44

skidmarks

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:51 pm

Well, I'm off to buy myself an aluminium camera case for travelling. There is no way I'm letting any hairy-arsed baggage handler throw my Lowe-Pro around!

This, while an essential security action, is going to cause massive chaos throughout the industry. And, while it's allegedly "short-term" it will have a residual effect.

I can see the Channel Tunnel making a mint over the next few days as businessmen decide to let the train take the strain instead of flying.

And I echo the sentiments about Ryanair and other airlines who were angling for a minimal baggage check-in. This is going to make travelling on them very frustrating and I can see tempers flaring all over.

I hope the insurance industry is primed and ready for all the claims that will arise as people realise they can "lose" thier laptop/mobile phone/wallet etc in the baggage!

But, all praise to the security services who busted this plan. Lets hope and pray to whatever gods are around that they have put a spoke in the terrorist's wheel this time.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

zrs70

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:53 pm

I guess the Duty Free shops will lose quite a bit over this.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

trb10

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:53 pm

I just cannot believe the attitude of some people on this topic, it defies belief. I expect you guys would be the first to be offering your sympathy to those families whose relatives had been blown up mid atlantic and criticising security forces for not having done enough. Who cares about IFE quality at a time like this? I for one applaud the govt for taking this measure and I would much rather have a delay of a couple of hrs and arrive alive thank you very much. I guess the world will always have its complainers even in critical situations like this.

EXAAUADL

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:55 pm

Quoting Alphonze (Reply 3):
With every passing day I am increasingly grateful that I have left the UK behind. Hurrah for Hong Kong, where one can still get metal cutlery airside (if one asks nicely).

And all you had to do to get your metal cutlery is live under Chinese communist totalitarism

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 6):
We should wait for further details before making this kind of judgement. Perhaps the device in question is mechanical/chemical rather than eletric or electronic to avoid detection,

I suspect it would be one where components were to be smuggled aboard and assembled in flight, so difficult to detect at security

AA 109 I think it was was required to return to LHR a few days ago.

joness0154

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:55 pm

Quoting Trb10 (Reply 33):
I just cannot believe the attitude of some people on this topic, it defies belief. I expect you guys would be the first to be offering your sympathy to those families whose relatives had been blown up mid atlantic and criticising security forces for not having done enough. Who cares about IFE quality at a time like this? I for one applaud the govt for taking this measure and I would much rather have a delay of a couple of hrs and arrive alive thank you very much. I guess the world will always have its complainers even in critical situations like this.

I agree totally. If you need to have your laptop attached to your hip at all times, take another form of transportation. No one 'needs' their cellphone, iPod, laptop, or other goodies. But everyone has become so dependent on them you'd think they'd rather die than give up their 'Tunes.

Tristarsteve

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:56 pm

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 21):
so it would indicate that a certain element of planning went into this elevated security level

But BA Ops did not know.
Aircraft took off from CDG DUS and MUC this morning on their way to LHR, and have returned to where they started.
No BA LHR Shorthaul aircraft are flying now (0655Z).

planesarecool

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:57 pm

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 32):
I guess the Duty Free shops will lose quite a bit over this.

Was thinking the same thing.

Also, if no 'non-passengers' are allowed in the terminal, then there's going to be even more chaos in the arrivals hall with people who expect to see somebody holding a board with their name on it not having a clue what to do and where to go.

joness0154

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:59 pm

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 37):
Also, if no 'non-passengers' are allowed in the terminal, then there's going to be even more chaos in the arrivals hall with people who expect to see somebody holding a board with their name on it not having a clue what to do and where to go.

Two words: Prior planning

blueflyer

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:01 pm

If my data is correct, not a single passenger flight has taken off from LHR yet today (as of 7:40) and BD has cancelled its entire first bank (6:00 - 8:00).

Flights out of LGW seem to be running about an hour late.

UAL777UK

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:02 pm

Quoting N174UA (Reply 20):
What's being done on the US side? Can we still check in handbags and the like, i.e. is this limited to just flights departing UK?

BA have stated that you cannot take any carry ons, onto its flight unless its medicine and a pocket size wallet or purse. It would make sense for that to be the same out of the US as well. I cannot comment on AA, UA or VS or for that matter any other carrier, but you can be sure, those security queues are going to be lenghty for days to come.

777fan

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:03 pm

I for one applaud the govt for taking this measure and I would much rather have a delay of a couple of hrs and arrive alive thank you very much

Amen!

darrenthe747

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:06 pm

I think I might be missing something here. CNN is reporting that the threat level was raised to "Critical" meaning an imminent attack. I thought they foiled the plot? Or is this just to be extra cautious?
All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others.

AerospaceFan

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:07 pm

The threat level has been raised here in the United States as well as to commercial airliners flying in from Britain.

If all twenty aircraft had been successfully destroyed, the death toll could have exceeded that of 9/11.

The FBI had been aware of this plot, having been notified of same by the MI-5.

The plot had been developing for nine months.

President Bush has been notified of the latest events.

(Sources: CNN International continuing coverage; Sky News, via Fox News Channel.)
What's fair is fair.

hawk44

Quoting Darrenthe747 (Reply 42):
CNN is reporting that the threat level was raised to "Critical" meaning an imminent attack. I thought they foiled the plot? Or is this just to be extra cautious?

Extra cautious, and the US has just raised the alert for it's airports

Hawk44

kiwiandrew

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 31):
I can see the Channel Tunnel making a mint over the next few days as businessmen decide to let the train take the strain instead of flying.

which raises ( even if it is OT ) an interesting question that I have pondered about for years ... given the speed at which high speed trains operate why is there absolutely no security on them , and no baggage matching .. I am sure that if someone were to detonate a bomb in one of the front carriages while a Kings Cross-Edinburgh ( you wouldn't even need to be a suicide bomber - place your luggage in the rack at Edinburgh , and get off the train at York with the timer set for another 30 minutes ) or Paris-Marseilles train were at full speed the results in terms of terror and death would be similar to a plane crash ... as for the economic chaos if a terrorist were to blow Eurostar up in mid-tunnel , anyone got any ideas on this ?

I am travelling Bruxelles to London tomorrow night on Eurostar , it will be interesting to see whether there is a security presence .

scbriml

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:08 pm

Quoting Darrenthe747 (Reply 42):
CNN is reporting that the threat level was raised to "Critical" meaning an imminent attack. I thought they foiled the plot? Or is this just to be extra cautious?

What if the police have failed to apprehend all those involved in the plot? Not worth the risk.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

TK787

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:08 pm

Do any of the US airlines preparing for tomorrows flights to have the same rules? I know it is 3 am, but do you think some people are calling and waking up some people to start making decisions or will they wait till the morning?

AerospaceFan

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:09 pm

Fox News Alert: Homeland Security Alert Level has been officially raised to "High", or orange. This is one step below "Severe", or red.

This development pertains to homeland security in general, and not just commercial aviation.
What's fair is fair.

darrenthe747

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:13 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 46):
What if the police have failed to apprehend all those involved in the plot? Not worth the risk.

Sounds like they got a few of the apprehended suspects to squeal and they have much more specific information. Scary stuff.
All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others.

oli80

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:15 pm

Quoting Clipperhawaii (Reply 16):
If you carry a laptop. You match the profile. You fit the description of one form the Middle East. You match the profile

According to the BBC, the men arrested are of Pakistani origin. NOT someone from the Middle East!

My sentiments exactly! Who cares about delays, IFE and their iPods, I'd rather get there alive!