gsoflyer

Why Did GSO Expand The Airport

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:12 pm

Curious to know if anyone can explain this to me.....

Why did GSO expand the gates going from I think 16 to 26, when we're only served by 6 airlines for 74 scheduled departures per day (and a few charters per week)? Especially when no low costs fly in, the big 6 are reducing the schedule and removing mainline (no US Airways, Cont., Northwest mainline and United seems to want to move in that direction)

Seems like a huge waste of money for the federal, state and local governments to expand an airport that has what looks like over 10 gates empty and the rest standing idle most of the day.

cltguy

RE: Why Did GSO Expand The Airport

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:25 am

The GSO market is a growing one even though there is significant bleed off to RDU and CLT for some lower fares. I don't think that adding these gates will break the bank at GSO and if not used soon they will be used eventually.

ERJ170

RE: Why Did GSO Expand The Airport

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:30 am

Quoting Gsoflyer (Thread starter):
Seems like a huge waste of money for the federal, state and local governments to expand an airport that has what looks like over 10 gates empty and the rest standing idle most of the day.

Everything is cyclic. Just because GSO does not have the air service now doesn't mean that down the road, an airline would not want to set up a hub or focus city there. The Airport Authority have to look in the future and work towards that. The worst thing is to have an opportunity thrusted upon you, and you can't do a d@mn thing about it. I hope they use those gates to spread airlines out and to be able to renovate whilte there is space to be able to shift..

It's not the "if you build it, they will come" scenerio. It's the "no one knows what tomorrow brings" scenerio. And just because they are built, does not mean they can't be closed off until use. Look at BNA, STL, and other ones.. It's better to have some muscles to flex, than to be caught with your draws down.

But that's my opinion, anyway....
Aiming High and going far..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos