aamd11

US-EU Flight Bags

Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:06 am

Flying YOW-PHL-ARN tomorrow on US Airways.

They called earlier today and left the most confusing of voicemails. Everything sounded alright until they added that all carryon items should be in a clear plastic bag.

This doesn't check out on their website at all. According to their website:

NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED IN CARRY-ON BAGGAGE. ITEMS MUST BE IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. This includes all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency.

Fair enough, I don't usually car any of those items aside from beverages (and I think I can manage without those).

Well anyway, as I said, the voicemail I was left doesn't check with this at all. I'm flying from Canada to the US and then on to Sweden - none of which is covered by the ultra-tight restrictions applied to UK-bound flights.

Does anyone here know, one way or the other, if I'll be able to get my laptop computer (and bag) on board, or am I going to have to expose it to the baggage handlers at YOW/PHL/ARN respectively?

Cheers.

EWRCabincrew

RE: US-EU Flight Bags

Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:27 am

You can bring your laptop, no problems.

Just take out any liquids, colognes, toothpaste, hair gel, etc.. You will get a second search at the gate of departure, at least inthe US you will.

Only flights departing the UK are subject to the severe restrictions. Go about as normal, just be aware of what you have in your carry-on and toiletries.

Also, count on delays. Sign of the times till things smooth.

Have a great trip
You can't cure stupid

aamd11

Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:39 am

That's the answer I was looking for  Wink

I don't usually carry liquids anyways, and certainly not in close proximity to my laptop!

As for the delays, it's to be expected - and it's something US have warned me about, so I'm taking it into account when it comes to getting to the airport.

Thanks for the quick response!  Smile

DTWAGENT

Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:40 pm

Per them (USAirways International rep) anything that you are going to carry on board the aircraft MUST be in a clear plastic bag. And NO Laptops, electronic items, camera's, blackberry, PSP, iPods ect. That is per USAirways as of this morning. I did not talk to someone in Reservations. I have a Travel agent rep number and talked to them.
The airlines are taking sercurity one step harder then what the TSA/HSA is saying.

Please Check with your airline before you go to the airport. Because if it is not legal they will not check you in until you make it legal.

Chuck

CXA330300

Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:53 pm

Quoting DTWAGENT (Reply 3):
Per them (USAirways International rep) anything that you are going to carry on board the aircraft MUST be in a clear plastic bag. And NO Laptops, electronic items, camera's, blackberry, PSP, iPods ect. That is per USAirways as of this morning. I did not talk to someone in Reservations. I have a Travel agent rep number and talked to them.
The airlines are taking sercurity one step harder then what the TSA/HSA is saying.

Isn't that only to or from the UK?
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

DTWAGENT

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:48 am

Some air carriers are not allowing carry on bags here in the USA going to Europe. Some are.....

Chuck

UKCO

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:52 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 1):
Only flights departing the UK are subject to the severe restrictions. Go about as normal, just be aware of what you have in your carry-on and toiletries.

Wrong,completely wrong. I just got off LAX-LHR and they didn't allow it.

Please people, stop giving this info out. Assume that everythign will have to be checked until you're at the airport and they tell you different.

hiflyer

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:58 am

Everyone...please check the TSA website for what they are and are not permitting. In regards to flights to the UK TSA does not have a no carryon rule. I do understand that AA is and it appears from comments in the thread that both BA and US may be as well...but apparently they are going beyond the TSA recommendations which they are certainly allowed to do.

www.tsa.gov

EWRCabincrew

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:49 am

Quoting UKCO (Reply 6):
Wrong,completely wrong. I just got off LAX-LHR and they didn't allow it.

Correct, you were going to the UK, the travel restrictions are for US-UK/UK-US flights. The person in question is going PHL-ARN. It's always good to read everything (all the posts) and then make comments.

And, yes, check with your airline and the TSA.

Have a good flight, regardless.

Cheers
You can't cure stupid

aamd11

Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:24 am

No super restrictions incurred.

Everything was checked and double checked as you'd expect, but it wasn't a problem.

EWRCabincrew

Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:40 am

Quoting AAmd11 (Reply 9):
Everything was checked and double checked as you'd expect, but it wasn't a problem.

Glad all went well. Hope your trip was good.

Bill
You can't cure stupid