tonytifao

How Does This Work? Security Question

Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:04 am

Next monday I'm flying MLB-ORF with a stop in ATL. Both small airports. Once I land in ATL, I don't have to go through security. I can buy a bottle of water in ATL and bring it on with me. How do they get away with this?

Jerseyguy

RE: How Does This Work? Security Question

Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:17 am

You can buy a bottle of water and drink it in the terminal while you wait for your flight but you can't bring it on the plane. There will probably be a beverage service due to this but that is up to Delta (I assume your flying Delta).
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

tonytifao

Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:29 am

But I can easily hide it in my laptop bag while boarding. I can't imagine ATL with second screening at every gate.

This is going to be a nightmare for me, I fly every week.... arghhhhh  Smile

sk736

Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:42 am

Quoting Tonytifao (Reply 2):
But I can easily hide it in my laptop bag while boarding.

Why would you want to deliberately defy the ban?

Venezuela747

Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:43 am

I heard they are doing double screenin (one of them at the gate) to avoid situations like this (there is a thread in this forum called "2nd screening..."). I would not recommend trying to hide or mess around with TSA, they can be very anal if you get in toruble with them. Plus, how do you explain to the Flight Attendant or the passenger sitting next to you how you got that bottle in the plane.

Don't play with TSA, specially in times like this
ROLL TIDE!!!

Jerseyguy

Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:44 am

This is going to be a nightmare for me, I fly every week

I know the humanity, it violates your constitutional right of being free of "cruel and unusual punishment". The world is ending. Oh no  Big grin

Calm down, its an 1 1/2 hour flight they will be serving drinks especially since you can't bring them onboard anymore.
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

misbeehavin

Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:06 am

If you have the beverage in your hand, they will ask you to toss it before letting you on board.

Happened to me yesterday at ORD - they have trashcans at the gate and made me dump the coffee I had snagged from the Crown Room. No problem though - I got another one the minute I boarded the aircraft.

If you have a bottle in your laptop bag, however, I'm not sure how that will detect that, unless they handsearch everyone at the gate. Don't try opening the bottle on board though - someone's likely to scream bloody murder!  Smile

vtdl

Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:16 am

Quoting Misbeehavin (Reply 6):
Don't try opening the bottle on board though - someone's likely to scream bloody murder!

LOL!  rotfl 

737tanker

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:27 am

But I can easily hide it in my laptop bag while boarding. I can't imagine ATL with second screening at every gate.

From what I've seen at the airports I fly into (DEN, PHX, and BWI to name some) they are opening the bottles and removing the caps after they sell you the bottles. So if you do put the water bottle into your bag it will have no cap to prevent the water from spilling all over your bag.

[Edited 2006-08-13 02:28:16]