MAH4546
Topic Author

Delta To End Service To Champaign/Urbana

Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:26 pm

Delta will end all service to Champaign/Urbana, Illinois this September. Article follows:

http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/news/politics/15260773.htm
a.

misbeehavin

RE: Delta To End Service To Champaign/Urbana

Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:31 pm

Dammit! I'm all for Delta starting flights to where they think there's money to be made and stopping flights to places that don't bring in the cash.

But seriously, they need to work on timing.

They started DUS just after I stopped going there regularly. They started CPH just after I stopped going there regularly. Same goes for FSD.

I need to make a few trips to Champaign in October. Can't they end service after that date?  Smile

PVD757

Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:13 pm

Quoting Misbeehavin (Reply 1):
I need to make a few trips to Champaign in October. Can't they end service after that date?

Call Bob Coutelyou. DL service to CMI will still be available for you in October - it'll be pretty expensive to charter a CRJ though...

In all seriousnes though - bad timing for you indeed. I wonder if there will be more station closings this fall???

FlyPNS1

Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:25 pm

CMI got killed by BMI. When DL announced they were launching BMI (to go against Airtran), CMI's days were numbered. The fare differential between CMI and BMI is so large that everyone is driving to BMI.

As fares continue to rise more rapidly in markets with no/minimal competition, some of these markets will begin to fail. Most people aren't going to pay $1,200 r/t when they can drive 50-100 miles and fly the same route for $500.

FWAERJ

Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:40 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 3):
As fares continue to rise more rapidly in markets with no/minimal competition, some of these markets will begin to fail. Most people aren't going to pay $1,200 r/t when they can drive 50-100 miles and fly the same route for $500.

Same here at FWA. People here choose driving to IND for a $400 nonstop r/t to LGA/JFK over flying out of FWA for $1100 with a stop in DTW or CVG.

We were doing great for a while with TZ/C8, but after Herb sent in WN management to TZ, they shut down C8. Nevermind that FWA-MDW/IND was profitable and growing... they had to shut down the whole stinkin' division.

If FWA doesn't bring in an LCC soon (read: the next 12 months), I see FWA turning into another LAF in the near future.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

OttoPylit

Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 am

Well, when you have one market, CMI, with 2 flights a day, and then you have BMI forty miles down the road with twice as many flights, PIA 80 miles down the road with an extra flight, and CHI roughly 120 miles further away with a plethora of more flights, it gives the smaller airport little chance. When you take passengers that are traveling that live between all of the towns, it is very likely they would choose the larger airports with more choices of flights. CMI was only favorable for those that may live directly within the CMI city limits, or anyone traveling directly to the town of CMI. Any others are more likely to choose such places as BMI and PIA over CMI.

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos