ltbewr

Expect More Questions When Leaving USA

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:33 am

The Newark (New Jersey) Star-leger, on the front page of it's Sunday, August 13th edition, had an article that EWR will be an airport where TSA agents will be asking a lot more questions of those going through security to try to thart possible terrorists. The article says the questions will be repetitive & probing to try to trip up potential terrorists and is based on the questioning policy of passengers for flights on El Al. It probably won't be as extensive as El Al's and will probably more like one finds already at EC airports, just a few questions to try and get a feeling for a pax's potential to be a terrorist.
Just a warning - don't be a smartass and delay the rest of us on the long lines further or get you sitting at the airport jail.

AirCop

RE: Expect More Questions When Leaving USA

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:41 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Thread starter):
TSA agents will be asking a lot more questions of those going through security to try to thart possible terrorists.

This should be something to see. TSA without any training suddenly become investigators. What an agency!

N702ML

Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:41 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 1):
This should be something to see. TSA without any training suddenly become investigators. What an agency!

LOL! I hear that.

I can only imagine how those conversations will go....
The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Southwest Airlines.

ETStar

Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:48 pm

TSA agents being given the authority to question us, and to flex a muscle or two, one at a time, with a 30 minute delay between each flex. They already feel like they're the shiznits, and now they have to talk to us. Mon dieu!

Quoting N702ML (Reply 2):

I forsee a Rodney King type of scenario coming, especially with their over inflated egos.

EWRCabincrew

Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:12 pm

PC or un-PC? Where do I start?
You can't cure stupid

ltbewr

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:25 pm

Here is a link to an article on how these new programs may work from trials at a few USA airports.
http://online.wsj.com/public/article...20070813.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top
Many of us whom have traveled from EU airports like FRA have seen where you go through a 2nd security checkpoint, where questions are asked to try to find potential terrorists. This program seems to be similar to those programs, but with a technical twist.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:29 pm

I still remember my trip in around 1999 when a stupid customs agent asked us where we were going. I was at SFO and said we were visiting family in Oakland.

The twit said "well why don't you get a direct flight from London to Oakland then?" Incomptent fool.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

ThePRGuy

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:44 pm

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 6):
The twit said "well why don't you get a direct flight from London to Oakland then?" Incomptent fool.

Oh dear, what a twit....
The joys of customs agents  Smile
Thanks
PR
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

BigOrange

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:46 am

Quoting ETStar (Reply 3):
and now they have to talk to us

So when do they start their English lessons??

MastaHanky

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:52 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Thread starter):
EWR will be an airport where TSA agents will be asking a lot more questions of those going through security to try to thart possible terrorists. The article says the questions will be repetitive & probing to try to trip up potential terrorists and is based on the questioning policy of passengers for flights on El Al.

I think this is an excellent idea. The 30-45 minutes it takes to get through security at EWR (on a good day) when the trans-Atlantic rush starts is way too short. We really need to make people wait in line for a good hour at a minimum. Perhaps in the future they will also play Kenny G at high volumes and offer a Root-Canal-While-You-Wait service to make going through security more enjoyable.

visityyj

Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 8):
So when do they start their English lessons??

It is English, but only a NooYawker can understand it. The TSA staff at EWR have to be the rudest, most arrogant bullies in the entire US. And that's where they decide to start this experiment. Hmmm, perhaps they want it to fail ?

RAPCON

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:03 am

Quoting Visityyj (Reply 10):
It is English, but only a NooYawker can understand it. The TSA staff at EWR have to be the rudest, most arrogant bullies in the entire US.

Pardon there young cannuck. The Boston TSA staff are by far the dumbest, ugliest, arrogant, and least articulate in the English language.

The best I've seen have been the folks in ABQ.
MODS CAN'T STOP ME....THEY CAN ONLY HOPE TO CONTAIN ME!!!

Mir

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:05 am

It might start with:

"Do you want fries with that? Oh, wait, that was my last job...."

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

TWFirst

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:07 am

I've wondered for years why it's not set up here like in AMS.... sterile flight-specific area at gate where agents question you and mark your boarding pass before you're allowed into the gate waiting area. Seems to work nicely at AMS.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

IADLHR

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:08 am

Quoting RAPCON (Reply 11):
The best I've seen have been the folks in ABQ

I absolutely second that motion. ABQ iis really, really good. In fact I was there a few weeks ago and ALL the security lanes had the machines with the air puff. That was my first experiience with that machine.

ANCFlyer

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:10 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 1):

Yup, gonna be a cluster . . .

I'd be fun to get a video/audio of this process . . .

Quoting Mir (Reply 12):
"Do you want fries with that? Oh, wait, that was my last job...."

rotfl 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

robsawatsky

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:21 am

Right, assign a reasonable task in an unreasonable way!

This is a job for highly-trained, field-experienced, professional intelligience officers not screeners.

AirlineBrat

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:56 pm

I can see it now. Since this is Jersey we are talking about..... I expect the TSA agents to drop the F Bomb every sentence they mutter during their "interview". So questioning would go something like this....

"So you awe goin tah f$%kin Des Moines?" "Why the f%$ck would you want tah go tah someplace like dat?" "Since I don't know where Des Moines is, I think you are fu$&ing up tah somethin fishy heah....." "Let me get me some rubbah gloves, we are goin tah get tah dah the bottum of dis' fu$%in' Sh#t!!!!"
I'm leavin on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again....

ikramerica

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:11 pm

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 7):
The joys of customs agents

You know, some of those questions they ask are just to screw with you to see if they can trip you up.

My uncle was a customs agent at LAX for many years before he moved into investigations out of the central office in DC (drugs and money laundering). He's a very smart man and would tell me stories from his side of all the crap people would try to pull, and how effective "stupid" questions could sometimes be.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.