aloha73g

Lifvest From AQ 243 For Sale On EBay

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:18 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aloha-Airlines-i...sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is interesting....I am not sure what to think about it. But it is interesting.

Any thoughts?

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

gilesdavies

RE: Lifvest From AQ 243 For Sale On EBay

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:25 pm

My opinion may not be with the majorities...

But I think that is pretty sick for someone to cash in on someone elses suffering.

I have seen the film Air Disasters on National Geographic here in the UK and is amazing how the death toll was so low, and how the pilots brought that plane down.

I question whether that life vest should even be on sale, surely it is the property of the airline, insurance company who wrote the aircraft off or the FAA.

I just hope the person posting this thread is not benefitting from highlighting the ebay auction.

aloha73g

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:33 pm

I kind of agree with you. Knowing how much the F/A who lost her life (Clarabelle "CB" Lansing) was loved and respected by her co-workers, I personally would not sell that if I found it. It is sick in my mind to profit off of something like Aloha 243 which injured and traumatized many people.

Personally I think it should be returned to Aloha Airlines or given to one of the museums in Hawai'i.

Flight 243, in my mind, is one of the greatest examples of an airline crew performing perfectly in an extremely adverse situation. Captain Robert Schornsteimer, F/O Madeline "Mimi" Tompkins, and Flight Attendant Jane Sato-Tomita and especially Flight Attendant Michelle Honda are true heroes.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

Bobski

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:35 pm

Maybe someone should buy it, and then donate it as part of a memorial to the FA who died, or to a museum exhibit or something?

It would be a bit morbid to just have it as a 'trinket'
Who is Benjamin Breeg?

joffie

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:00 pm

Interesting how he just stumbeled apon the life jacket on the mountains after it has been there for 18 years.

ThePRGuy

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:07 pm

Quoting Gilesdavies (Reply 1):
But I think that is pretty sick for someone to cash in on someone elses suffering.

I agree with Giles

I think it is pretty morbid to profit off a terrible event such as AQ243
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

OPNLguy

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:20 pm

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 2):
Personally I think it should be returned to Aloha Airlines or given to one of the museums in Hawai'i.

Likewise, and I concur that it's in poor taste to sell.

The lifevest is actually still the property of Aloha, and I'd hope that someone from Aloha is here on Anet and would forward the eBay link internally to their legal department so they could start the process to effect its return.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

GDC2006

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:41 pm

Quoting Ebay:
have spoken to aloha customer relations and they confirm it could have only come from that flight

Wonder if the seller could substantiate these comments.

I think the item having been lost for 18 years probably now belongs to whoever finds it, surely there is a time limit on that sort of thing???

However, throwing it on Ebay is such a weary sad thing to do - why not be a real hero and donate it as some have said to a museum or other such tribute to that flight and of course the Flight Attendant.

Just my opinion

GC
Trust a woman? How can you trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die?

by188b

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:42 pm

Do any of the crew who survived still work for Aloha?
next flights : BD LHR-TXL J, FR SXF-STN Y, SN BRU-LHR Y, MA LHR-BUD Y, BA BUD-LHR J, BA LCY-SNN-JFK J, BA JFK-LHR J, BA

ThePRGuy

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:42 pm

Quoting GDC2006 (Reply 7):

I think the item having been lost for 18 years probably now belongs to whoever finds it, surely there is a time limit on that sort of thing???

I don't think those laws apply as they do in some other areas. I'm pretty sure, at least here in the UK, that when an item is lost, it remains property of the owner at all times.

Thanks
PR

[Edited 2006-08-14 13:44:33]
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

mika

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:45 pm

I agree that it is wrong to exploit someone elses misfortune like the seller of that life vest is doing. But i must admit that it must have been a strange feeling to have found an item like that, it has been lying there since 1988, without anyone finding it. And it came from an airliner in flight.

Must have been an eeire feeling.

GDC2006

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:54 pm

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 9):
I'm pretty sure, at least here in the UK, that when an item is lost, it remains property of the owner at all times.

Your probably right, I did some googling but couldn't get an informed answer. I mean you hear of people finding old coins and stuff and earning thousands from them but then I think something about not actually finding anyone to claim ownership might apply there, whereas here obviously the owners still exist. They probably don't even know about the auction, hoepfully someone from there will somehow come across it and become involved.

GC
Trust a woman? How can you trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die?

bennett123

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:11 pm

Personally, I have not got $1,000, but if everyone chipped in say $10 then I see no reason why the lifevest could not be acquired and donated.

aloha73g

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:13 am

Quoting BY188B (Reply 8):
Do any of the crew who survived still work for Aloha?

The Captain, Bob Schornsteimer, retired last summer because of the age 60 rule. Mimi Tompkins, the 1st Officer (Aloha's 1st Female Captain) still flies with Aloha as a Captain on their 737-700s.

Both of the surviving Flight Attendants left the company in the 1990s (they both had 10+ years of experience when the incident occurred).

-Aloha!

GDC2006

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:43 am

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 13):
Both of the surviving Flight Attendants left the company in the 1990s

Makes me think, if I ever went through an expereince like that (not likely as I work in a call centre!) would it make me more loyal somehow to the company? Or would it make me want to get the hell out of there as soon as possible? Do you know if they simply moved sideways into a similair positions in different companies or was it for promotion?

Just interested.

GC

falstaff

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:10 am

What is also disturbing is that this guy wants $1000 bucks for it. Just because this guy says it is from that disaster who knows. Maybe it was sitting in some garage under a stack of junk. With a price of $1000 I will say this guy just wants to profit off of other peoples misery.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

aloha73g

Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:43 am

Quoting GDC2006 (Reply 14):
Makes me think, if I ever went through an expereince like that (not likely as I work in a call centre!) would it make me more loyal somehow to the company? Or would it make me want to get the hell out of there as soon as possible? Do you know if they simply moved sideways into a similair positions in different companies or was it for promotion?

Jane Sato-Tomita was badly hurt and as far as I know she never flew as a Flight Attendant again, but remained 'employed' by Aloha while she recovered from her injuries.

Michelle Honda moved to the mainland (SF Bay Area I believe) and commuted to HNL to fly for Aloha for a few years, but then she started doing interior decorating or something similar up there (I think).

Back when Captain Schornsteimer flew his last flight in July 2005 Michelle Honda was one of the people at the gate to greet him. It was nice of her to show up  Smile

Picture:
http://www.pbase.com/aqohana/image/48267982
(Michelle is 2nd from the left holding the purse)

-Aloha!

bennett123

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:15 am

No bids yet.

I think that this is a bit tacky.

GDC2006

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:17 am

Thanks for your reply

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 16):
but remained 'employed' by Aloha while she recovered from her injuries.

This comment brings me to another thought, how long would an airline continue to pay you for, I mean I know there must be some form of employee liability but how far over and above that do the airline go? Regardless of legal responsibility would they generally go beyond their legal requirements to assist injured employees with, for example, housing issues or whatever? I'm not talking about someone who strains their back at work I mean specifically people injured in major incidents like this one.....

Just got me curious now!

Good info in your reply though and a real heart warming picture to boot!

GC

elmothehobo

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:20 am

I question the authenticity of the story to the lifejacket. I'm no expert, but how on earth did that life jacket end up on Maui when the decompression occured over water? Yes the plane would landed at Kahului, but wouldn't something as lightweight as a lifejacket be sucked out of the plane immediately, and not when the plane was lower to ground and going considerably slower?

aloha73g

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:35 am

Quoting ElmoTheHobo (Reply 19):
I question the authenticity of the story to the lifejacket. I'm no expert, but how on earth did that life jacket end up on Maui when the decompression occured over water? Yes the plane would landed at Kahului, but wouldn't something as lightweight as a lifejacket be sucked out of the plane immediately, and not when the plane was lower to ground and going considerably slower?

My thought is that as the plane approached Maui the F/A assisting passengers (Michelle Honda) was helping the injured people in the exposed areas put on their life vests. It is very possible that one flew out while this was going on.

Unless someone stole an old Aloha lifevest with their old (pre 1992) logo on it, I do not where else it could have come from. On my lunch break I am going to contact Aloha to inform them of this auction.

-Aloha!

mnik101

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:41 am

I'm amazed ebay didn't pull it off the site. usually its like that get pulled off.

richierich

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:48 am

Quoting ElmoTheHobo (Reply 19):
I question the authenticity of the story to the lifejacket.

To me, the only thing sicker than trying to profit off of this old life jacket would be trying to profit off of a fake life jacket. The possibility exists that it was not from the 1988 accident but the item looks to be of a similar age and of a reasonable deterioration, considering 18 years have passed.

Why would this have been found "on a mountain" though? The way I understood it, this aircraft broke up over sea and came into OGG on a direct path. Maui is not a huge island but big enough: Haleakala would have been several miles away - did this life jacket get blown over there? I guess it depends on one's view of where the mountain starts and ends.

I'm not saying this is fake but I think there are still questions lingering that we don't know the answer to. Hopefully it will find its way to a museum or memorial for this flight.
None shall pass!!!!

khobar

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:07 am

Please explain why it is okay to buy and sell Buddy Holly, Elvis, John Lenon, Janis Joplin, etc. etc. etc. stuff but for some reason this is sick and in bad taste?

MCOflyer

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:10 am

I would buy it and send it to her relatives as a memo of CB Lansing.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

aloha73g

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:20 am

I called Aloha during my lunch break and they seemed to be pretty alarmed and concerned. It sounded like they were going to contact eBay and the seller. We'll see. The person told me that it is NOT ok to sell a lifevest (partiularly one that may be from a an accident) under any circumstances.

-Aloha!

GBOAF

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:39 am

Absolutely Shocking.

Im lost for words at the fact some sicko is selling this item. If he/she went to the trouble or searching for it and digging it up, then it was obviously on a gold digging trip, with the intention of making money.

I can understand going looking for such an item for the purposes of a museum piece, memorial, or aviation history, but this is not the case.

The sad individual has even gone to the trouble of contacting the airline to try and confirm its authenticity, and added a transcript of the CVR.

I hope this item remains bid-less and it would be a nice touch if ebay removed the item from auction.

Could you imagine someone putting up pieces of aircraft from 9/11, or Pan Am 103?...of course not

Some people have no heart. this item should have been left alone. Full stop.
Who cares enough to make the world half as big by flying twice as fast? We care!

kc135topboom

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:41 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 6):
The lifevest is actually still the property of Aloha,

Maybe not, Since the accident was so long ago, and the investigation into it is long closed, He may have "salvage" rights of ownership. Aloha will have to so they, or the NTSB made an extensive search for it.

Since it is only a lifevest, it will be ruled as not evidence into the cause of the structural break up. This vest, alone will not reopen the investigation, unless the area where it was found has additional parts of the aircraft or contents.

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 9):
I'm pretty sure, at least here in the UK, that when an item is lost, it remains property of the owner at all times.

Not, really. Unless it is government property, the rights of salvage is international maritime law. Commerical aircraft come under these maritime laws. Each country can pass laws to protect it's own lost items, but not private or companies. For example, the UK has declaired the former RN BCs HMS Hood (sunk by KM Bizmarck on 26 May 1941), and HMS Repulse as war graves and made it illegal to salvage anything from the wrecks, the same with the BB HMS Prince of Wales (Repulse and Prince of Wales were designated as Force Z and sunk on 8 Dec. 1941 by the Japanese). The British have extended this to all RAF aircraft and RN warships.

But, I argee with the majority here, this is a sick thing to sell on e-bay. But, the person who eventually buys it, is even sicker.

OPNLguy

Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:11 pm

Quoting Aloha73G (Thread starter):
Any thoughts?

Yes, I think that AQ was successful in getting eBay to pull the item....  thumbsup 

"This listing (#120020156277) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number."
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.