alaska737

I Am Done Spotting

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:51 am

I have been spotting planes at various airports for a long time and i found it very enjoyable but this summer i have been busted twice. Once at the Kodiak Seaplane Dock in Alaska and once at ANC. Both times i was on public property, and both times a policeman had to call in my ID number. I am sure that goes on my record and severly decreses or even destroys my chances of becomming a pilot for AS or another major airline. So thanks a lot terrorists, I can no longer watch planes and my dream of flying for AS is crushed.  Sad  Angry

FiveMileFinal

RE: I Am Done Spotting

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:54 am

What exactly does it mean when you say "call in your ID number"?

And how are you so sure this 'goes on your record?' Did he bust you for tresspassing?
You goin'? We fly you dere! You been? We done already flew up in dere!

MDorBust

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:54 am

Quoting Alaska737 (Thread starter):
I am sure that goes on my record...

Depending on local policy, it may generate what is known as a contact report. Literally meaning, a police officer was in contact with a citizen. Unless you were cited for something it doesn't mean anything else and isn't a negative on any record anywhere. It won't hinder your chances of getting an airline job.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

alaska737

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:59 am

Quoting FiveMileFinal (Reply 1):
What exactly does it mean when you say "call in your ID number"?

And how are you so sure this 'goes on your record?' Did he bust you for tresspassing?

1. both times they asked for my ID and called into his station or chief or whatever.

2. Both said it looked suspicious and the one in ANC also said that some cargo ramp workers had recieved phoned a call about people around the airport. i wasnt tresspassing i was on public grounds outside of the perimiter fence.

MCOflyer

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:01 am

Alaska737,

I'm sorry to hear that. Down here in Florida, they're much nicer. Especially @ MCO where to the north of the beachline, they have a spotters parking area.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

airkas1
Crew

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:01 am

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 3):
i wasnt tresspassing i was on public grounds outside of the perimiter fence.

Then you should be fine AFAIK?
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

OPNLguy

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:02 am

I am sure that goes on my record and severly decreses or even destroys my chances of becomming a pilot for AS or another major airline. So thanks a lot terrorists, I can no longer watch planes and my dream of flying for AS is crushed.

It shouldn't be.

Remember way back in grade school, they used to ominously refer to "your permanent record", i.e. you misbehaved, and were "threatened" with "something" being added to that? Same thing here.

Unless you have a true "criminal record", you need not worry.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Chiuaua

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:14 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 6):
Unless you have a true "criminal record", you need not worry.

They probably called in your ID number to check if you had any records (unpaid fines or if you were sought for some other crime). Had that in February in a train passing from Austria to Germany. They just check you out. If you're not arrested or charged with any crime, then forget about it and start off again with your AS dream.

Good luck with making your dream come true.  Smile

cbphoto

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:19 am

Both times i was on public property, and both times a policeman had to call in my ID number. I am sure that goes on my record and severly decreses or even destroys my chances of becomming a pilot for AS or another major airline. So thanks a lot terrorists, I can no longer watch planes and my dream of flying for AS is crushed.

Relax, just because the police did a background check on you, doesn't mean you have a criminal record and will never become a pilot. It's like failing an FAA checkride and getting a pink slip on your record. Every pilot has one, unless they are perfect (but unlikely) that doesn't mean an airline is not going to hire you. I am sure that if you work hard, and strive to be a AS pilot, you will become one. Don't let a few police or terrorists ruin your dream. Wait a few weeks for things to settle down, and then start spotting again. Even better, call the airport police station, and let them know you are a photographer, and would like to take pictures of airplanes around the airport. Usually they take down some information, but you will not be hassled by any of the police. Keep spotting, and work hard to become an AS pilot, and watch...your dreams will come true!!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

reyes27

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:23 am

Having your ID checked is no different than being stopped for speeding and just getting a warning.

Never been bothered in JNU at all.

edit: grammar > I

[Edited 2006-08-15 00:25:08]

pilottim747

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:27 am

Quoting Reyes27 (Reply 9):
Having your ID checked is no different than being stopped for speeding at just getting a warning.

Exactly. You only have to worry if you are convicted.
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

ClearedDirect

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:34 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 4):
Alaska737,

I'm sorry to hear that. Down here in Florida, they're much nicer. Especially @ MCO where to the north of the beachline, they have a spotters parking area.

MCOflyer

Im not sure the area you are talking about but the one right on the other side of the Beachline has been closed for like 2 years.

nrcnyc

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:36 am

Is it right for an officer to ask a spotter to produce identification when standing on public property doing nothing illegal? I was under the impression that unless we have been caught doing something illegal, we are protected against this sort of request. Am I completely wrong?

YULWinterSkies

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:38 am

Quoting Reyes27 (Reply 9):
Having your ID checked is no different than being stopped for speeding and just getting a warning.

Except that in the speeding case you actually violate a law and the police is tolerant, whereas in the spotting case you are 100% lawful and the police just makes sure who you are...
When I doubt... go running!

Bobster2

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:50 am

People who throw temper tantrums when they get discoraged shouldn't be pilots. Sounds like you were given a test to see if you can deal with one of life's little problems, and you flunked it.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

reyes27

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:52 am

Quoting YULWinterSkies (Reply 13):
Except that in the speeding case you actually violate a law and the police is tolerant, whereas in the spotting case you are 100% lawful and the police just makes sure who you are...

But the end result is the same.

OPNLguy

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 14):
People who throw temper tantrums when they get discoraged shouldn't be pilots. Sounds like you were given a test to see if you can deal with one of life's little problems, and you flunked it.

So then, the offiicers were just acting as career counselors to help weed this guy out of the prospective pilot population? I think not.

I think it's far more likely that the OP, at his tender young age, didn't fully understand what the law was, and how things work in the real world, nor would he be expected to at that age.

Cutting the guy some slack just might be in order...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

rongotai

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:00 am

I think that the major threat to your dream of becoming an airline pilot as indicated in your post is your irrational extrapolation from from being asked for your ID twice to a conclusion that your aspiration to be a pilot must have been crushed.

You are at high risk of being turned down on psychological grounds if you were to hint at that sort of mental processing in an interview with a major airline. It wouldn't necessarily be a killer, but it would certainly earn you negative points. Its something you can easily deal with if you really want to.

I say this as someone who has served time on the interviewing side of the table.

We're Nuts

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:06 am

The airline would never find out, and if they did, they wouldn't care. Just calm down.
Dear moderators: No.

jetdeltamsy

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:12 am

I am sure that goes on my record and severly decreses or even destroys my chances of becomming a pilot for AS or another major airline.

By simply have your driver's license number checked you have had not your chances of being hired as a pilot decrreased. You are only blackballed for convictions, not checks.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

vatveng

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:13 am

You're a teenager. Cops love to put the "fear of God" in teenagers, by implying that just because they call in your driver's license number some smear is going on some record and you're marked for life. Trust me, as someone who has gotten more speeding tickets than the number of years you've been alive, the only things on your police record are actual convictions and (in some states) pending court cases. But unless you actually receive a traffic court summons, they're just trying to scare you.

NASCARAirforce

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:23 am

Alaska737:

Go back out spotting, but first go to this website:

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

Click on the PDF file and print it up and next time the pig harasses you give the letter to him:

If you weren't on airport property and outside the fence area he had no right to even do what he did or even kick you out. You weren't doing anything illegal.

When did they put this in? I used to live on Semoran and drove all over the place looking for a spotting location along Frontage Road. I don't believe they even allow the Cuban Sandwich guy to park on Frontage and Conway anymore.

MDorBust

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:42 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 21):
Click on the PDF file and print it up and next time the pig harasses you give the letter to him:

If you weren't on airport property and outside the fence area he had no right to even do what he did or even kick you out. You weren't doing anything illegal.

Go ahead, give us the flier. We won't care. According to his story all that happened is he had wants and warrants run on him. Something police have the right to do in most states (backed by SCOTUS). Yes, the "pigs" do have the right to ask for your identification in most states. ANC (if he dares pop into CIV-AV) can get us specifics on AK.

Three steps:

1. Don't be a dick to the cop
2. Explain your presence without violating 1
3. Continue doing what you were doing after he runs wants and warrants and moves on.

[Edited 2006-08-15 01:43:01]
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

727LOVER

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:00 am

Quoting ClearedDirect (Reply 11):
Im not sure the area you are talking about but the one right on the other side of the Beachline has been closed for like 2 years.

Yes, there's a new one. I haven't been there, but some fiends in Orlando have been there.
Love Trumps Hate

Outlier

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:03 am

Oh for crying out loud.....

If this is all it takes to divert you from your "dream" then you might as well lay down on the Glenn at rush hour: you're done.

STT757

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:08 am

George W. Bush was arrested for Driving while intoxicated in Maine, that did not stop him from going on to be Governor of Texas or President of the United States.

You were not arrested, there is no record. If there is you have a great lawsuit to file.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

EWRCabincrew

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:12 am

So thanks a lot terrorists, I can no longer watch planes and my dream of flying for AS is crushed.

All the more reason to make your dreams come true. F*** the terrorists, go out and LIVE YOUR DREAM. AS would be proud to have you (as would anyone else - like CO).

A couple of setbacks...no biggie. Just get good grades, do well in school and go get that job!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Bill
You can't cure stupid

ANCFlyer

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:29 am

once at ANC

Was it Airport or City at ANC?

I'm curious because I've met a couple A-Netters that came to ANC, and a few that live here, and they spot all the time with no problems at all . . . either off the north side of Cook Inlet side of 32/14 or at Kinkaid Park or at the end of the 7s.

Not to mention Lake Hood and Merril.

Hell, I even got Qantas077 a spot to take photos on Kulis on day when ANC was using the 25s for departures.

Press on. You haven't broken any law and any cop that is worth a shit will know that . . . anything other than a contact to ensure you're on the level will be unwarranted . . . but - making that contact will be necessary in today's world.

[Edited 2006-08-15 02:33:03]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

NASCARAirforce

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:30 am

Not sure how old you are Alaska, but something is telling me that you are a teenager. By the time you are old enough to fly commercially (that is if you are a teenager), it will be off your record and forgotten.

When I was 16, I did something really dumbass... I got a reckless driving ticket plus malicious destruction of property. I got several tickets since that day. This was the early 1990s, throughout the early and mid 1990s I had several tickets (I haven't gotten one since 1997), but that didn't stop me from getting jobs while in college driving with a chauffers and commercial license.

Its not going to go on your record. They just check your id to see if you are a wanted suspect (just policy), if you are clean they pretty much throw it away and forget about it. I've had my id checked before at airports and it didn't stop me from getting any jobs at the airport where I would be in secure locations.

aviateur

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:57 am

Bull crap. Stop taking this nonsense from overzealous policemen and airport staff. The truth is, there is nothing illegal about plane-spotting, and anybody who gives you grief at the airport needs to be challenged, not aquiesced to in some demented nod to "security".

I hope you will read this article of mine that ran on Salon.com several months ago, in response to something that happened to me while I was taking photos to accompany a newspaper story I was working on:

http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2006/02/10/askthepilot173/

Patrick Smith
Boston
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

chrisnh

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:19 am

I'm just curious: Do the cops that 'bust' people actually carry with them some statute or law book that clearly states that the spotter is in violation of some law, or do they just 'tell you' that you're in violation and you'd best run home to momma?

Chris in NH

lhrBOB

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:30 am

You shouldn;t give up  Smile
I've been stopped several times at LHR, but I persist. Not at the mo tho.
Bob

OPNLguy

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:30 am

Quoting Aviateur (Reply 30):
I hope you will read this article of mine that ran on Salon.com several months ago, in response to something that happened to me while I was taking photos to accompany a newspaper story I was working on:

Great article....  thumbsup 

L-188

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:01 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 2):
Depending on local policy, it may generate what is known as a contact report. Literally meaning, a police officer was in contact with a citizen.

Exactly, my brother who is a firefighter still laughs at the time he was listening to the pager and the local cops called in a contact report on my sister.

It wasn't a big deal, she had just gotten off work at the local subway shop, when down to the beach. A few minutes later a cop showed up because somebody called in a noise complaint. When he asked how long she had been there, she kindly pointed out she had made him the sub in his passenger seat 20 minutes earlier.

He still had to call it in for the log and to check if they where any warrents out. It's just SOP.

People who throw temper tantrums when they get discoraged shouldn't be pilots.

Bull, I know some pilots who are true anal retentive crybabies.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

S12PPL

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:02 pm

As has been stated above, you can STILL be an airline pilot even though they ran your drivers license to see if you had any priors, or outstanding warrants, etc. Buck up, and keep spotting. The world isn't over.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

DocLightning

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:08 pm

You may wish to speak to an attorney in your town and ask what the laws are on disclosure of ID to police officers while on public property. He may even be able to write a politely worded letter that you can carry with you for any such officer's perusal.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

miamix707

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:29 pm

Alaska737,

Cops down here around airports are rarely nice when they bother to approach you, becasuse they're usually bored and need some excitement. (and that goes for airport workers as well)

Alaska737,

MCOflyer

Try 5 years. RIP to one of the city's "unofficial" favorite spots dads could take their kids to.

copter808

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:41 pm

Can someone explain to me what the problem is with a cop asking for your ID?

You're in the area of the airport enjoying your hobby.

He's in the area doing his job by checking you out.

End of story!!

Why on earth are you so concerned about being asked a few questions? Contrary to one statement here, the "record" will NOT be thrown out after a few years--there is no "record" to throw out!!! He calls in your identifiers, it comes back no record/no want and that's the end.

Now, if you insist on your rights--and you have every right to do do--it will mst likely just prolong the contact. Jeesh folks, get a life!!

brilondon

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:48 pm

You were not doing anything illegal so don't worry about it.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

alaska737

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:50 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 27):

Yeah i was on the north end of the airport, on the hill to the left of 14.

Quoting Rongotai (Reply 17):
You are at high risk of being turned down on psychological grounds if you were to hint at that sort of mental processing in an interview with a major airline. It wouldn't necessarily be a killer, but it would certainly earn you negative points. Its something you can easily deal with if you really want to

sorry but i highly doubt you can fully understand someones psychologiacal traits by one post that was written about 30 minutes after the ordeal happend.

Quoting Outlier (Reply 24):
Oh for crying out loud.....

If this is all it takes to divert you from your "dream" then you might as well lay down on the Glenn at rush hour: you're done.

the reason i was so concernd about this is because being an AS pilot has been my dream forever. since i was three i have wanted to be a 737 pilot for AS. that is 15 years. and to jeprodize an ambition that has been with you for 15 years is very nerveracking. i know know that i have nothing to worry about but at the time it was very scary for me. AS has kept my grades high, kept me away from drugs and making bad choices. i dont want to take any risks or chances that might snatch my dream away.

OPNLguy

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:03 pm

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 39):
i dont want to take any risks or chances that might snatch my dream away.

Then don't listen to any nay-sayers on a public message board.

Whether it's the law (in this case, and to the extent that it affects your situation), or FAA regs, or whatever, take the initiative to do your own independent research on any topic that affects you. Getting advice from others is helpful, but don't rely on it 100%--a former president once said "Trust, but verify" and it's true.

Once you can do that, and with the increase in maturity that comes (usually) with age, you'll have the requisite self-confidence to know when you're being a line of BS (like you wee in this case), and when it's the truth about something. Even if that truth has possible ramifications, don't fear it, just do something about it, or mitigate the problem as best you can.

Good luck.

ckfred

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:05 pm

When it comes to jobs, whether in the airline industry or otherwise, the question could be any of the following, depending on the nature of the job or industry:

a) have you ever been convicted of a felony?
b) have you ever been convicted of any crime?
c) have you ever been arrested?

In your case, the answer to all three is no.

Now, you can do one of three things. You could stop spotting. You could try to be more discreet in your spotting, i.e., find a spot that is less visible to the police. Or, you could simply keep spotting, and when the police arrive, ask for what law you've violated.

There is another thread that has a quote from a high-level official at TSA, stating that TSA doesn't have a problem with people photographing aircraft, so long as photographers aren't in secure areas. You ought to find that and keep a copy in your camera bag.

Zudnic

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:09 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 22):

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 35):
He may even be able to write a politely worded letter that you can carry with you for any such officer's perusal.

In my experience, crowing about rights is a sure-fire way to tick off the officer.

If the consensus is true that the ID check is no-harm, no-foul, then Alaska737 should just let it happen. The officer is just doing his job.

ANCFlyer

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:18 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 33):
Bull, I know some pilots who are true anal retentive crybabies.

checkmark 

Welcome to the Brown Leather Jacket CLub - better known as the United States Air Force. . .

Whaaaaa is their trademark.

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 39):
Yeah i was on the north end of the airport, on the hill to the left of 14.

Local Cop or Airport?

Either way, you broke no law.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:20 pm

Down here in Florida, they're much nicer.

Is that real? I'm wayting for the security level to go down to go to this nice park located at FLL, I'm on vacation here and I haven't been able to go spotting, and I'm honestly pissed. Now, if that's a public place (as I think it is, since there's no fence that blocks the way in and it's a place made for that)
Any help from a local a.netter would help a lot!

Quoting Nrcnyc (Reply 12):
Is it right for an officer to ask a spotter to produce identification when standing on public property doing nothing illegal?

Well, I think it won't make a difference, for example I won't refuse to give my ID as it might be considered as a suspicious behaviour... not convenient at all! But now that I have the 'Photographer Rights' I might want to face them somehow!

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 21):
next time the pig harasses

LOL  bouncy 
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

alaska737

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:28 pm

I think form now on it might be a good idea for me to call the Airport Security and let them know when and where i would be spotting to avoid any future problems. good idea or not?

ANCFlyer

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:37 pm

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 45):
good idea or not?

Noooo, gives them the opportunity to tell you NO before you spot.

Just go, when the cop shows up, be nice, chat, show him the photos, tell him how long you've been doing it, etc . . .

Then he knows you're harmless, and the next time you're out - likely it'll be noted . . . no worries.

Whatever you do don't over react to the situation and decide you don't wanna be an AS pilot, blah, blah, . . . nothing like is gonna happen.

alaska737

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:05 pm

I would like to make a couple of statments.

1. the policeman was in no way a "dick" he was nice and in no way pushy. he told me that he understands aviation entusists and photography. the only thing that i didnt like was when i asked if i could saty/eturn to spot he told me somtething like, yes and no, it is definatly frowned upon and we would ask that you dont.

2. i am greatful for police and law enforcement putting forth the effort to secure and protect our nations airports

why cant we all get passes that say "WE ARE NOT PHYSCO PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BLOW UP PLANES, WE ARE JUST PEOPLE WHO LIKE AIRPLANES"

aerorobnz

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:19 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 46):
Just go, when the cop shows up, be nice, chat, show him the photos, tell him how long you've been doing it, etc . . .

Yep, politeness gets you a long way. When I was in ANC the cop came because he got called out by a member of public - He himself said he wouldn't have bothered but because it was called in he had to investigate. We were chatting for about 5 minutes before he recommended some other options for when the light shifted. He then told me where to go to get airside access for photographic purposes.

They took my ID and passport then and they photocopied it an put in their file but it makes no difference to your life whatsoever. I ended up getting some great photos that I wouldn't otherwise have got thanks to the great cops up in that part of the world.

Get over it and quit with the histrionics.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

nosedive

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:31 pm

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 47):
why cant we all get passes that say "WE ARE NOT PHYSCO PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BLOW UP PLANES, WE ARE JUST PEOPLE WHO LIKE AIRPLANES"

It's a question we all ask. Join the club. You're not alone; we've all been there. Chill.

Fact of life: My dad, while in college, was doing some really stupid shit one night on a Michigan road and rolled his car. He still went on to fly left seat in an MD-11 for FX. No Mario Andretti, maybe a Paul Tracy, but still one helluva pilot.