OttoPylit
Topic Author

DL Finally Makes LAX Expansion Announcement

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:41 pm

In regards to the questions on this thread:

DL Buildup In LAX...where's The Announcement? (by MaverickM11 Aug 11 2006 in Civil Aviation)

Delta has finally announced. Also expanding to Northern California.

"Delta will add 16 new routes this winter from our West Coast gateway at Los Angeles International Airport to meet the ever-growing demand in one of the country’s largest travel markets for Hispanic customers. With the move, Delta will be on track to serve the second-most destinations in Mexico of any U.S. airline by spring 2007. The expansion will include new nonstop flights to nine Mexican destinations and two Central American destinations as well as corresponding connecting service to five destinations in the United States that are the most popular with our Hispanic customers.

“Los Angeles is at the heart of Hispanic culture in the United States, and we are excited to expand our service to meet the needs of our customers in this growing West Coast market,” said Glen Hauenstein, e.v.p.-Network and Revenue Management. “With new service both southbound and northbound from Los Angeles, our customers will find it much easier to travel between the top destinations in Mexico, Central America and almost any point in the United States.” "

http://news.delta.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=10323

OttoPylit

[Edited 2006-08-15 12:47:22]
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

777ER
Crew

RE: DL Finally Makes LAX Expansion Announcement

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:53 pm

Always good to see airlines expanding with more aircraft and/or new routes

OzarkD9S

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:32 pm

Quoting OttoPylit (Thread starter):

“Los Angeles is at the heart of Hispanic culture in the United States

Miami has scads more "culture" of all kinds than LA!
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

milesrich

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:46 pm

This is looks like part of a plan to shift Sky West and ASA RJ's to international routes. What is strange is that the release said ASA will operate the flights. One can only wonder how long it will be before Sky West completely merges the operations of both carriers. Sky West has a good operational reputation, while ASA's reputation for on time operations is far from good.

MalpensaSFO

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:42 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 2):

That remark needs a little back up...

49% of all Hispanics in the United States are split between California and Texas. Please see the link below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:New_2000_hispanic_percent.gif

"The Hispanic population of Los Angeles County, California--numbering over 4.6 million--is the largest of any county in the nation."

Source: http://www.wikipedia.org

"Of 1,512,720 foreign born people, 100,252 were born in Europe, 376,767 were born in Asia, 64,730 were born in Africa, 94,104 were born in Caribbean/Oceania, 996,996 were born in Latin America, and 13,859 were born in Northern America. Of such foreign-born people, 569,771 entered between 1990 to March 2000. 509,841 are naturalized citizens and 1,002,879 are not citizens."

"The Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is the number one entry for immigrants in the country. The Hispanic, Asian American, and Caribbean populations are growing particularly quickly — the Asian American population is the largest of any city in the U.S and the city contains the largest concentration of Los Angeles County's 1.4 million Asians. Los Angeles hosts the largest populations of Armenians, Cambodians, Filipinos, Guatemalans, Hungarians, Koreans, Mexicans, Salvadorans, and Thais in the world outside of their respective countries. Los Angeles is also home to the largest populations of Japanese and Persians living in the U.S., and has one of the largest Native American populations in the country"

TO FLY IS TO SERVE

TinkerBelle

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:57 pm

Another West Coast carrier to SMF. Thank God I don't have to fly WN next time I fly to LA. This is definitely good news for those of us in the West Coast.
If you are going through hell, keep going.

SLCUT2777

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:00 pm

Quoting Milesrich (Reply 3):
What is strange is that the release said ASA will operate the flights. One can only wonder how long it will be before Sky West completely merges the operations of both carriers.

ASA pilots are unionized whereas SkyWest's are not. Also SkyWest does connection contract flying for UA under the UA Express banner from LAX and I believe that contract specifically prohibits SkyWest from operating flights for DL from LAX but doesn't for a separately owned entity like ASA. Hence the biggest reason to keep them separate so they have that loop-hole and the pilots union issue.

Quoting Milesrich (Reply 3):
Sky West has a good operational reputation, while ASA's reputation for on time operations is far from good.

When so much of your operation is from southeastern US airports into Hartsfield- Jackson (ATL) you're going to have such problems. Those bad numbers will go down as ATL now has that all important 5th runway. LAX could be a different story however as they are now having runway issues.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

MalpensaSFO

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:07 pm

Quoting TinkerBelle (Reply 5):
Another West Coast carrier to SMF. Thank God I don't have to fly WN next time I fly to LA. This is definitely good news for those of us in the West Coast.

A lot of people are breathing a sigh of relief on that one.. Now if we could get HP to return to the SMF-SNA route!
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

OttoPylit
Topic Author

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:52 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 6):
Those bad numbers will go down as ATL now has that all important 5th runway. LAX could be a different story however as they are now having runway issues.

Well, even though the 5th runway has opened up, ATL will be closing another for repairs, so it will be awhile before the benefit of the 5th runway can be seen.

I can tell ya this though. I've flown onto it a couple of times, and it adds a good 10-15 minutes to your taxi time. Grrrr... banghead 

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

CWAFlyer

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:59 am

Also SkyWest does connection contract flying for UA under the UA Express banner from LAX and I believe that contract specifically prohibits SkyWest from operating flights for DL from LAX but keep

Not true. SkyWest operates one flight from SLC to LAX (and its return) in the evening.

FATFlyer

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:25 am

Quoting CWAFlyer (Reply 9):
Not true. SkyWest operates one flight from SLC to LAX (and its return) in the evening.

The contract prohibits Skywest from setting up operations for another carrier at a UA hub.

SLC-LAX is OK because it is hub flying. But Skywest could not set up a feed operation for DL out of LAX, at least as Skywest.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

CWAFlyer

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:35 am

believe that contract specifically prohibits SkyWest from operating flights for DL from LAX

Quoting CWAFlyer (Reply 9):

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 10):
The contract prohibits Skywest from setting up operations for another carrier at a UA hub

Neither the question nor my response said anything about a SkyWest hub in LAX for Delta.

luv2fly

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:35 am

Please Miami is such an awful place!
You can cut the irony with a knife

Tan Flyr

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:36 am

Well, IMHO, If Delta was serious about tapping the huge Hispanic Market they should have thought about having ASA add some service to/from FAT that would help feed these flights to Mexico.

The San Joaquin valley has now proven itself as being able to support significant traffic to Mexico.

as739x

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:51 am

MalpensaSFO: Thanks for doing the dirty work. Ozark remarks were way off.

A couple of things that will make this interesting IMHO. How will people respond to the CRJ's flying into Mexico. We (AS) have difficult times fitting all the baggage into our 737's going to non-resort destinations, how will a CR7 work out? Second, what kind of nitch does DL plan on getting when running to the Bay Area vs. UA/AA/AS and WN?

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

MalpensaSFO

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:54 am

Quoting AS739X (Reply 14):
How will people respond to the CRJ's flying into Mexico.

Delta will test the water and using the CRJ is a good option. Little is ventured, a lot can be gained. In addition if the routes provide fruitful look forward to 738's and M80's, M90's to replace the CRJ's.
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

FATFlyer

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:57 am

Quoting CWAFlyer (Reply 11):
Neither the question nor my response said anything about a SkyWest hub in LAX for Delta.

No but the discussion was about Skywest operating at LAX.

I wasn't criticizing your response. I quoted your response to maintain continuity.

If you prefer I will admit that I should have also quoted the other comment. SLCUT2777 did not word his comment clearly on the situation, at least to me. That is why you ended up commenting that there was a SLC-LAX flight, which was not the real point that was trying to be made.

I was expanding on the info the 2 of you were presenting. I was trying to explain for others who may not know about the UAX contract limit on Skywest ops and clarify info that was not explained well. As stated that is a reason for ASA at LAX.

positiverate

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:57 am

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 8):
Those bad numbers will go down as ATL now has that all important 5th runway. LAX could be a different story however as they are now having runway issues.

Well, even though the 5th runway has opened up, ATL will be closing another for repairs, so it will be awhile before the benefit of the 5th runway can be seen.

I can tell ya this though. I've flown onto it a couple of times, and it adds a good 10-15 minutes to your taxi time. Grrrr...

OttoPylit

Right, but it will only be closed for 30 days or so (8L/26R). Plus, once that new South terminal gets built, that 10/28 rwy looks great...

travelin man

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:19 am

Errrr.... Oooookay.

We (AS) have difficult times fitting all the baggage into our 737's going to non-resort destinations, how will a CR7 work out?

I believe it is not even a CR7, but a regular old CRJ. We'll see, but nobody has really addressed the baggage issue and how it will affect these flights. I guess "fingers crossed" is the strategy.

N160LH

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:39 am

as well as corresponding connecting service to five destinations in the United States that are the most popular with our Hispanic customers.

Maybe more DL additions back to DFW..?

"I do alright up in the air, its down on the ground that I tend to mess up..."

DAL767400ER

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:13 am

Quoting N160LH (Reply 19):
as well as corresponding connecting service to five destinations in the United States that are the most popular with our Hispanic customers.

Maybe more DL additions back to DFW..?

No, that comment refers to the 5 intra-Cali markets that will start along with the Mexican routes.

CWAFlyer

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:53 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 16):
No but the discussion was about Skywest operating at LAX.

I wasn't criticizing your response. I quoted your response to maintain continuity.

If you prefer I will admit that I should have also quoted the other comment. SLCUT2777 did not word his comment clearly on the situation, at least to me. That is why you ended up commenting that there was a SLC-LAX flight, which was not the real point that was trying to be made.

I was expanding on the info the 2 of you were presenting. I was trying to explain for others who may not know about the UAX contract limit on Skywest ops and clarify info that was not explained well. As stated that is a reason for ASA at LAX.

Okay. I think I got it now. No worries.

MCOflyer

Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:16 am

Your Joking me, a CRJ to Mexico resort cities is insane. I'd at least upgrade the routes to a M80.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

DAL767400ER

Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:22 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 22):
Your Joking me, a CRJ to Mexico resort cities is insane. I'd at least upgrade the routes to a M80.

Would you also be able to find 92 additional pax per flight on a daily basis?

CRFLY

Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:33 am

Any ideas of which could be the destinations in Mexico and Central America?
I guess SJD, PVR, GDL, MTY, MEX and CUN could be some... I remembered DL flights from LAX to PVR and MEX...

In Central America, maybe GUA, SAL and SJO could be good routes, especially taking into account that UA and AA discontinued SJO, and only TA operates daily non-stop from SJO to LAX... Not sure how DL can compete with UA in GUA and SAL, as UA and TA are now code-sharing and now they have the majority of the O&D plus connecting traffic!
With Age comes Wisdom...

DAL767400ER

Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:39 am

Quoting CRFLY (Reply 24):
I guess SJD, PVR, GDL, MTY, MEX and CUN could be some..

SJD and PVR will come, as DL has been granted traffic rights for both routes.
GDL is already being served with a daily 738, MTY is not of importance to DL, seeing a mere 2-3 CRJs to ATL, they gave away their LAX-MEX route authority and won't get them back in a long time, and LAX-CUN once weekly 757 has already started.

panamair

Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 25):

LAX-PVR yes but I don't believe that DL got LAX-SJD - didn't F9 get it instead?

DAL767400ER

Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:50 am

Quoting Panamair (Reply 26):
LAX-PVR yes but I don't believe that DL got LAX-SJD - didn't F9 get it instead?

You're right, DL hasn't gotten the authority, the last news about it I can find on the DMS page is that the DOT has deferred a decision, can't find anything newer.

United777

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:20 am

Wonder how Alaska Airlines will do with there CA-Mexico flights. Will Alaska Airlines respond with more flights of it's own to Mexico? It's no doubt Alaska Airlines dominates west coast-Mexico routes.

Is it possible for AS to expand south of Mexico?

MAH4546

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:37 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 25):

They were not granted SJD, Frontier was. They were granted tentative PVR, but honestly, judging by the way the applications has been so heavily countered, this might be one of very few examples were tentative does not become permanent.
a.

OzarkD9S

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:12 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 4):

That remark needs a little back up...

I didn't say anything about "Hispanic" culture, just culture in general.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 12):

Please Miami is such an awful place!

Maybe, to each their own, but to me LA is the epicenter of phoniness. Just a personal obeservation.

MalpensaSFO: Thanks for doing the dirty work. Ozark remarks were way off.

Only in the narrow context in which he interperated them.

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 18):

Errrr.... Oooookay.

Again, to each thier own.

Lighten up everyone!

mariner

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:25 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 27):
the last news about it I can find on the DMS page is that the DOT has deferred a decision, can't find anything newer.

I don't think the DOT has deferred a decision. Contested routes always take a while, and Delta brought the lastest delay on itself.

Delta objected - in the strongest possible terms - to Frontier being (tentatively) awarded LAX-SJD and to JetBlue being (tentatively) awarded JFK-CUN.

Almost immediately, United objected to Delta being (tentatively) granted LAX-PVR. United did not object to Frontier getting LAX-SJD, although United had applied for it.

The United objection to Delta/LAX-PVR is a very strong case. As MAH4546 says, it may become one of those rare occasions when a tentative approval is overturned.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

MGA

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:33 am

Quoting CRFLY (Reply 24):
Any ideas of which could be the destinations in Mexico and Central America?

http://news.delta.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=10323

Funny how we were speculating an almost daily LAX-GUA-LAX... came out as one weekly! talk about playing it safe...

MGA
Que viva el guaro, el dinero y los aviones!!!

as739x

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:38 am

MCOFlyer: Forget the resort flights with a CRJ, wait till they start touching the inland cities local Hispanic passenger. We average 1.9 bags per passenger on LAX-GDL with roughly 25% of the bags being overweight baggage. So a 50 seat RJ with 90 bags. I'm not claiming DL will have no success, but I think they will have some strong operational challenges on certain routes. Other route, they could be very successful.

Ozark: Your remark seem to be more personally based and not based on fact,so I'll take it with a grain of salt. What other culture does MIA have other then Latin that challenges the LA region? Just curious.

ASLAX

MAH4546

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:06 am

Quoting AS739X (Reply 33):
What other culture does MIA have other then Latin that challenges the LA region? Just curious.

He was probably referring to the fact that Miami's Latin culture is far more diverse than LA's. LA's is compromised largely of Mexicans, Guatemalans, and Salvadorians, with some Peruvians and Colombians, too. Miami's is scattered with just about everything from Cuban to Dominican to Agrentine to Bolivian to Brazilian, etc., etc. And then add in the Caribbean populations, and Miami's has larger European immigrant community than LA. Then again, LA has huge communities from throughout Asia and Oceania, among other places.

All in all, they are both extremely diverse, and while both have immigrant communities seen as being largely "just Hispanic", that couldn't be farther from the truth. There are large Russian and Israeli communities in both, Miami's large South African community, LA's large Aremian community, etc., etc.

It is also pretty unfortunate, and insulting to individual American cultures, that "Latin"/"Hispanic" culture is always grouped into one. It isn't. Being a Cuban is far different from being Mexican which is very different than being Argentine. They share a language (even though most countries have their own dialects), they share a region, but they all have their own independent cultures influence by different factors, such as the huge European influences in Argentina and Venezuela, or the large native influences in Paraguay and Peru.
a.

OzarkD9S

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:51 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 34):

He was probably referring to the fact that Miami's Latin culture is far more diverse than LA's. LA's is compromised largely of Mexicans, Guatemalans, and Salvadorians, with some Peruvians and Colombians, too. Miami's is scattered with just about everything from Cuban to Dominican to Agrentine to Bolivian to Brazilian, etc., etc. And then add in the Caribbean populations, and Miami's has larger European immigrant community than LA. Then again, LA has huge communities from throughout Asia and Oceania, among other places.

SIGH. It was just an observation that I thought Miami was far more culural than LA. Nothing to do with ethnicities of any sort. Miami (to me anyway) has a far more cultural feel than LA. The old adage about LA being a mass of suburbs in search of a city still applies as far as I'm concerned. Miami has a richer history which is evident all around.

Just let it go....sorry I ever tried to be blithe.

as739x

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:04 am

Agreed on all MAH4546. But as stated above, there were facts posted with Malpensa's post, not personal observation. And not a blaint MIA biased. Thats all. I'll drop it so we can get back on topic.

ASLAX

LAXintl

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:11 am

Forget the resort flights with a CRJ, wait till they start touching the inland cities local Hispanic passenger. We average 1.9 bags per passenger on LAX-GDL with roughly 25% of the bags being overweight baggage. So a 50 seat RJ with 90 bags. I'm not claiming DL will have no success, but I think they will have some strong operational challenges on certain routes

checkmark  Yes and just wait till some of the local carriers do their on and off promotions allowing passengers to carry a 3rd bag for free.

Both COEx and Mesa/America West have experienced problems running RJs to Mexico from LAX particularly when going up against a mainline aircraft.

In addition another point that needs to be considered is that much of the ethnic crowd uses a few of the larger Hispanic travel agencies in LA whom I am sure are heavily biased towards the current established players in the market. For instance I know one particular carrier serving Central America receives near 70% of its passenger from mere 6 travel companies in the LA metro area. With cash being king, and limited internet access, these agencies very much are in the drivers seat feeding airlines passengers.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:39 am

Quoting United777 (Reply 28):
Wonder how Alaska Airlines will do with there CA-Mexico flights. Will Alaska Airlines respond with more flights of it's own to Mexico? It's no doubt Alaska Airlines dominates west coast-Mexico routes.

They may need to because I have heard this is the first of several waves of expansion at LAX with a couple more to come.

FATFlyer

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:58 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 35):
SIGH. It was just an observation that I thought Miami was far more culural than LA. Nothing to do with ethnicities of any sort. Miami (to me anyway) has a far more cultural feel than LA. The old adage about LA being a mass of suburbs in search of a city still applies as far as I'm concerned. Miami has a richer history which is evident all around.

It's all personal preference and experience anyway.

For example, my wife got treated poorly by 5 different people on a trip to Miami several years ago and now considers it the rudest city in the US. Is that true, probably not. But her experience and treatment has colored her opinion.

Gilligan

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:01 am

We average 1.9 bags per passenger on LAX-GDL with roughly 25% of the bags being overweight baggage. So a 50 seat RJ with 90 bags. I'm not claiming DL will have no success, but I think they will have some strong operational challenges on certain routes.

That's a fact. There are more than a few days you have to weight restrict the flight due to the fact that you need the gas for an alternate field. Many of the Mexican fields are curfewed or close in the evening so the closest field often is no good. Some require wind alternates because they are single runways. Planning the Mexican flights can be a real challenge if the weather and payload are at odds with each other. I haven't seen 90 bags yet and I'd love to see all of them in the bin without going over structural but I've seen structural hit with manifest bags left over from previous days flights.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

as739x

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:08 am

77411: One of our problems is limit gate availablity at LAX vs. DL whom has their own terminal with FIS. Another problem facing AS is lack of A/C. We are running our fleet at max. Look possible for a few new Mexico's here and there. We are starting (restart) LAX-LAP.

ASLAX

aal0616

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:37 am

Welcome back to LAX Western Airlines, ahem, I mean Delta, or is it Delta/Western with RJs? AS739X hits the nail on the head: Delta has a terminal with FIS that they either have to use or lose, someday, even given court protection due to the Chapter 11 proceedings. I wonder what the Los Angeles Airport authorities think of this and their past, present and future rent. In any event, it is good to see Delta using the terminal again and flying south, even with a proxy and smaller fleet.

You don't realize how right you are, Gilligan, about Mexican fields and how unsettling it can be to arrive with changed weather conditions to deal with and unpleasant conditions such as, say, lighting. Even Ciudad de Mexico can be quite challenging with smoke and haze, say, at dawn or dusk. Or any one of them when instruments are required and there is either unannounced maintenance knocking the system off or outright, unknown outages to navaids, not unlike other frequent "southern or island" destinations that we all know and love.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:14 pm

Quoting AS739X (Reply 41):
77411: One of our problems is limit gate availablity at LAX vs. DL whom has their own terminal with FIS. Another problem facing AS is lack of A/C. We are running our fleet at max. Look possible for a few new Mexico's here and there. We are starting (restart) LAX-LAP.

I know, I was just stating the obvious if they want to keep #1 to Mexico they will need to expand. But all airlines are in the same boat if they could crap aircraft they would. Due to a lack of equipment it appears the only way for both to expand to Mexico is a AS/DL merger. But we dont need another merger topic. But then again both airlines get what they want, a big Mexico expansion.

Regards

modesto2

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 8):
I can tell ya this though. I've flown onto it a couple of times, and it adds a good 10-15 minutes to your taxi time.

I landed on runway 10 yesterday and it took us forever to get to the gate! We held short of 9L and 9R and it was easily a 15-20 minute taxi with lots of stopping.

N1120A

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:14 pm

Not on your life

How will people respond to the CRJ's flying into Mexico. We (AS) have difficult times fitting all the baggage into our 737's going to non-resort destinations, how will a CR7 work out?

One only needs to look at CO's troubles on their RJ flights out of LAX to see that DL is headed for disaster

Second, what kind of nitch does DL plan on getting when running to the Bay Area vs. UA/AA/AS and WN?

Not to mention F9

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 30):

Maybe, to each their own, but to me LA is the epicenter of phoniness. Just a personal obeservation.

Perhaps you should take your own advice and look below the surface.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AirWillie6475

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:36 pm

"Los Angeles is at the heart of Hispanic culture in the United States, and we are excited to expand our service to meet the needs of our customers in this growing West Coast market,"

Oh please. I wonder if even half of them have the necessary documentation to take a trip down and be able to come back again. I could be wrong  Yeah sure

wedgetail737

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:51 pm

The OAK-LAX route surprised me. DAL has never entertained that routing in the past, not even WAL. So why now? Also, where is the gate space. From my observations, OAK has some real capacity issues. We'll see how long that'll last.

ThePRGuy

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:53 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 1):
Always good to see airlines expanding with more aircraft and/or new routes

checkmark 

Delta will add 16 new routes this winter from our West Coast gateway at Los Angeles International Airport to meet the ever-growing demand in one of the country’s largest travel markets for Hispanic customers

Yay! A DL expansion, this is good news  Smile
Thanks
PR
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

DAL767400ER

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:00 pm

Quoting Wedgetail737 (Reply 47):
From my observations, OAK has some real capacity issues. We'll see how long that'll last.

Didn't OAK only recently add some 6 gates or so? Not sure for which airline they are, but they should definitely help any congestions. Besides, if DL operates their own designated gates at OAK, it shouldn't be much of an issue either.