BigGSFO
Topic Author

UA Applies For IAD-PEK

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:10 am

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060815/cgtu028a.html?.v=1

Surprised they didn't go for SFO-CAN however this ups the stakes. Obviously this bid competes mostly with CO's EWR-PVG application, but opens up a new China gateway, a second Asian desination from Washington DC, and will provide service between the two world capitals. Very interesting...

[Edited 2006-08-15 19:12:51]

SeeTheWorld

RE: UA Applies For IAD-PEK

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:15 am

This definitely ups the stakes. I expected SFO-CAN as well. Hmmm, let the games begin.

UAL777UK

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:17 am

Wow, never saw that coming, they certainly are putting emphasis on IAD.

Has SFO-CAN not been submitted as well?.......Did I not see that in an earlier thread or are they only allowed as an existing carier to China to apply for one route per year tops??

roseflyer

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:19 am

There is obvious effort going in to the IAD hub. I also find it interesting that United is wanting to put a 744 on the route rather than use the smaller 777. United might just get this route since the people in Washington would appreciate it and they are the ones making decisions.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

SeeTheWorld

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:23 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 3):
United might just get this route since the people in Washington would appreciate it and they are the ones making decisions.

There is no doubt that this is politically the most appealing application they could devise. It certainly makes them more competitive, as AA's application from DFW did against CO's application from EWR to PVG. It'll be interesting, but I think UA is the long-shot because of there current 28 weekly departures vs. AA's 7 and CO's 7.

pnqiad

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:26 am

The press release talks about doing a combined PAX/Cargo run using a 744 - do UA 744s have legs to do the journey both ways without penalties? Obviously UA can't sacrifice cargo - since that is one of the focal points of the service according to the release.

Good to see IAD slowly building up to be a versatile international hub for UA rather than a Europe focussed - first KWI and now PEK.

IADLHR

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:29 am

This is a very, very interesting development. I know a few people around town and rumor has it that CO may have burned some bridges, with the powers that be around DC with all their vocal criticism about the proposed EU/US openskies and the Virgina America controversy.

So among other things, this application by UA for a route from the east coast is in now in direct competition with COs application EWR-PVG. Interesting, very interesting.

It is obvious that UA is devoting time and resources to IAD. I am now strating to wonder what routes to Europe they may possibly start in summer, 2007.

UAL777UK

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:32 am

Quoting IADLHR (Reply 6):
It is obvious that UA is devoting time and resources to IAD. I am now strating to wonder what routes to Europe they may possibly start in summer, 2007.

A valid point but where are they going to get the aircraft to fly any new routes?

deltaffindfw

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:35 am

"In support of this new route application, Speaker J. Dennis Hastert of the U.S. House of Representatives said in a letter to the Department of Transportation, "Washington, D.C., is the largest metropolitan area in the United States without nonstop air service to China."

Is this true? What about Dallas or Houston?

blueflyer

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:38 am

One of UA's largest corporate customers, The World Bank Group (World Bank, IMF, IBRD, etc...) is headquartered in DC and flies a lot of people to/from China, the vast majority of whom travelling in C (the rest split between Y and F). If a carrier is willing to grant a discount for World Bank business *and* if it has non-stop service from IAD to any particular destination, this carrier becomes the preferred airline on the route (which means everyone except the highest ranking executives must fly that airline). That is a lot of guaranteed revenue for UA, in addition to federal government employees, public officials and employees of governmen contractors based around DC.

I am absolutely certain that this wasn't the sole factor UA considered when deciding whether to go for IAD or SFO as origintating point, but I'm pretty sure it was an important one.

While it doesn't seem that way to most people, World Bank travel is a huge business (there are two travel agencies dedicated exclusively to World Bank travel and neither takes walk-ins, too busy). Back when BA was flying the Concorde, their incentive to attract World Bank passengers going to/through LHR was an upgrade from C/F to Concorde if seats were available at the time of booking. With a hub in IAD, UA is making a lot of money on that account alone.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

MAH4546

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:42 am

This doesn't up any stakes.

It is going to AA or CO. UA already has 28 US-China flights. I agree the political connection definitley gives UA a nice advantage, but not enough, IMO.
a.

102IAHexpress

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:45 am

Quoting DeltaFFinDFW (Reply 8):
Is this true?

Yes. Though what defines a metro area is always a bit controversial.

City proper not even close. Actually the new US Census estimates came out today.

15 Largest cities linked below.

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/2006/cb06cn05_table.xls

MalpensaSFO

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:46 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 10):
It is going to AA or CO. UA already has 28 US-China flights. I agree the political connection definitley gives UA a nice advantage, but not enough, IMO

United Airlines has contracts which are key to many of their routes such as IAD-LHR, ORD-LHR, SFO-LHR, LAX-LHR, SFO-NRT, ORD-PEK, SFO-PVG, HNL-NRT, HNL-KIX, SEA-NRT. Additionally this makes one wonder what route with the 747-400 will be pulled for IAD-PEK? In any case it would be a very nice addition. However, the odds would seem to favor AA, and DL at this point.
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

kiwiandrew

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:47 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 12):
However, the odds would seem to favor AA, and DL at this point.

I thought the current route bid was only open to incumbent USA-China carriers which would rule out DL

blueflyer

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:50 am

It's a politician, so it depends on what the definition of "is" is. As per the census bureau definition of a metropolitan area, Washington DC was #7 in terms of population (2000 census numbers). Ahead of DC are, in order, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas and Miami. Houston is #8.

Based on the good Hastert, maybe US ought to file for PHL-PEK, it will win hands down.

http://www.census.gov/population/cen2000/phc-t29/tab03b.pdf

[Edited 2006-08-15 19:51:24]
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

UAL777UK

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:51 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 13):
I thought the current route bid was only open to incumbent USA-China carriers which would rule out DL

Thats my understanding as well........Its a three horse race..UA, AA and CO.
 checkeredflag 

MalpensaSFO

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:51 am

You are correct. However, now with Delta AIrlines buildup they are fishing for China. If not this round the next from ATL or PEK. AA has a very good chance but I question American Airlines since they have failed miserabley with expansion in the Asian region. Namely Nagoya, Osaka, Taipei, San Jose-Tokyo, Seattle-Tokyo, Honolulu-Tokyo(pulled before started), Boston-Tokyo(pulled before started).
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

positiverate

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:53 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 12):
However, the odds would seem to favor AA, and DL at this point.

You're right. DL will be applying for the 2008 designations. In fact, good story in today's AJC about just that:

Franklin to visit China, lobby for business
Mayor will push for direct Delta flights

By WALTER WOODS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/15/06

It's the ATL meets the Great Wall.

Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin, who has been a "stay-at-home mayor" for most of her tenure, will visit China next month to help Delta Air Lines win a direct route to one of the world's fastest-growing economies and lobby officials to open a Chinese consulate here...

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...UZTZU_UWUcU]UZU`UaUcTYWYWZV&urcm=y

PlaneGuy27

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:03 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 16):
Boston-Tokyo(pulled before started).

I don't think Boston-Tokyo was ever announced that it was going to start - they just received the rights to do the route in the 1998 protocol agreement.

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 14):
It's a politician, so it depends on what the definition of "is" is. As per the census bureau definition of a metropolitan area, Washington DC was #7 in terms of population (2000 census numbers). Ahead of DC are, in order, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas and Miami. Houston is #8.

Washington, DC for most purposes is essentially number #4 because the CMSA should include Baltimore - when you add Baltimore (which the Census bureau recently split) you go up to number 4 with 7,349,177 total

City population means nothing - it is always CMSA type data that carries more weight.

A very interested application from UA but it is still hard to convince the govt that a carrier with 4 daily flights into China needs the new 2007 frequencies. I wonder what NW will apply for - maybe Zone 2 frequencies for secondary markets.

MalpensaSFO

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:05 am

Quoting PlaneGuy27 (Reply 18):
I don't think Boston-Tokyo was ever announced that it was going to start - they just received the rights to do the route in the 1998 protocol agreement

At any rate is was going to be a MD-11...
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

SP90

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:06 am

They probably want to secure the IAD-PEK route ahead of the 2008 Olympics.

I would appreciate a SFO-CAN route by UA if they ever get around to it. Right now I have to fly JFK-SFO-HGK and then bus of train into Canton. Better yet, JFK-CAN on a 777 if there is enough capacity for it.

[Edited 2006-08-15 20:07:31]

102IAHexpress

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:09 am

City population means nothing - it is always CMSA type data that carries more weight.

For any other US city I would agree, but for me the Washington DC “metropolitan area” is a contradiction in terms. The District of Columbia is just that a district nothing more nothing less.

777fan

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:10 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Thread starter):
and will provide service between the two world capitals.

CAN/PVG a capital (okay, regional)?! That alone is interesting!

Seriously, though, it looks like a great route that proves UA is determined to be the leading US carrier in Asia.

Any guess as to what Asian route(s) might be next? I would think that there'd be an interest in DEL or BOM again although I'm not sure where that would originate (perhaps IAD, ORD or SFO?). Madras or Bangalore would also be intruiging destinations although that'd really be stretching it (range-wise).

I'd like to see UA boldly continue to expand in the Middle East: perhaps Tripoli, Cairo or Dubai?

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

panam330

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:24 am

Quoting SP90 (Reply 20):
Better yet, JFK-CAN on a 777 if there is enough capacity for it.

That will never happen on UA. They just dropped JFK-LHR and shifted their NRT frequency to IAD. It is clear that UA is 'done' with JFK, save their p.s. service to LAX and SFO, and their Express service to IAD.

This is certainly an interesting development. Perhaps IAD will be quite the hub in the coming years. Any hints of India?

gigneil

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:29 am

As per the census bureau definition of a metropolitan area, Washington DC was #7 in terms of population (2000 census numbers).

Washington, DC for most purposes is essentially number #4 because the CMSA should include Baltimore - when you add Baltimore (which the Census bureau recently split) you go up to number 4 with 7,349,177 total

PlaneGuy is right. UA draws the entire Baltimore/Washington CMSA, and the entire catchment is what the decision will be based on.

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 21):

For any other US city I would agree, but for me the Washington DC “metropolitan area” is a contradiction in terms. The District of Columbia is just that a district nothing more nothing less.

That's not really relevant. There are 7 million people living in the area, and that's what the airline is trying to serve.

N

FlyPNS1

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:32 am

"Washington, D.C., is the largest metropolitan area in the United States without nonstop air service to China."

If you count Baltimore (which some people do), then metro Washington, DC is larger than Dallas or Houston.

This application is interesting. I honestly think it is a stronger application than CO or AA. It offers a good amount of connecting opportunities plus a market with strong O+D demand for China. It's certainly a lot stronger than SFO-CAN. The only big negative is simply UA's already strong position in China. The DOT is likely to favor CO/AA who have far more limited rights to serve China.

IAD has a lot of unrealized potential for UA.

COEWRNJ

Sorry if this is a silly question, but are these authorities route specific? Say UA were to get the authority for IAD-PEK, could they two years from now decide to take that China authority and fly IAD-PVG or SFO-CAN with it instead?

MAH4546

"In support of this new route application, Speaker J. Dennis Hastert of the U.S. House of Representatives said in a letter to the Department of Transportation, "Washington, D.C., is the largest metropolitan area in the United States without nonstop air service to China."

It isn't true. Philadelphia, Dallas, and Miami are all larger than DC and have no non-stop service. Houston is smaller.

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 16):
AA has a very good chance but I question American Airlines since they have failed miserabley with expansion in the Asian region. Namely Nagoya, Osaka, Taipei, San Jose-Tokyo, Seattle-Tokyo, Honolulu-Tokyo(pulled before started), Boston-Tokyo(pulled before started).

Here you go again. HNL-NRT was never pulled before it started. AA got the route authority but could not get slots at times that would make the flight work. Simple as that. San Jose-Tokyo and Seattle-Tokyo, while gone, lasted for more than a decade. To call them a failure is stupid. The markets changed, but AA was a strong player in both for a long time.
a.

102IAHexpress

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:41 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 27):
It isn't true.

The speaker is correct, when combining Baltimore to the Washington DC “metro” area. But as I posted above, what constitutes a metropolitan area is a bit controversial, as even the US Census corrects itself in what a metro area should be.

MAH4546

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:45 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 28):
The speaker is correct, when combining Baltimore to the Washington DC “metro” area. But as I posted above, what constitutes a metropolitan area is a bit controversial, as even the US Census corrects itself in what a metro area should be.

Yes, when combining the two it is true, but the US Census broke up CMSAs in 2003.
a.

PlaneGuy27

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:49 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 28):
as even the US Census corrects itself in what a metro area should be.

Actually some of the reasons the metro area split is from political bickering between the two cities. Funny enough there was an argument years back on whether to have Baltimore or Washington first in the formal name of the CMSA - Washington won that one...

The fact is that the area is the largest unserved market for China service right now. Any resident of the counties in Baltimore's metro area (i.e. Anne Arundel, Baltimore County, Howard County, Frederick County) would easily look at a new United nonstop from Dulles to Beijing!

STT757

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:56 am

The strongest point in favor of CO's application is that there is no service either by a US or Chinese carrier from the East Coast to Shanghai, there are two carriers and two routes between the East Coast and Beijing (CO/EWR, Air China/JFK.

I don't think they would want three routes to Beijing only a couple hours drive away from each other when there is no existing service at all to Shanghai from anywhere on the East coast.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

102IAHexpress

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:03 am

Quoting PlaneGuy27 (Reply 30):
The fact is that the area is the largest unserved market for China service right now.

Agreed,
but if population will be a major consideration for the DoT, then CO application will surely get approved.

FlyPNS1

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:04 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 31):
I don't think they would want three routes to Beijing only a couple hours drive away from each other when there is no existing service at all to Shanghai from anywhere on the East coast.

The counter to that though is that if you award the route to CO, you concentrate all of the East Coast's China service to one market, NYC. NYC would have three daily flights to China, while the rest of the East has nothing.

PlaneGuy27

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:05 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 32):

unserved vs. underserved? a thousand ways to cut it - all of these applications have their strengths and weaknesses. No one can deny DFW's connectivity, EWR's market strength to PVG, Washington being the largest unserved China market.

Now what is NW going to do?

BigGSFO
Topic Author

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:29 am

Quoting PlaneGuy27 (Reply 34):
Now what is NW going to do?

Ask for approval to link NRT with Xian with a 757.  Smile

Well if UA is awarded IAD-PEK, this could, as well as AA DFW-PEK, weaken DL's chances to get ATL-PEK. UA has can easily link China with many southeastern communities via Washington DC.

AADC10

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:48 am

I also find it interesting that United is wanting to put a 744 on the route rather than use the smaller 777.

I do not think that UA's 777-200ERs have the range for IAD-PEK. I presume that they will get the planes by downgauging another Pacific route as UA had mentioned.

Quoting SeeTheWorld (Reply 4):
I think UA is the long-shot because of there current 28 weekly departures vs. AA's 7 and CO's 7.

I think the routes are more important than the frequency that each carrier has. I think that NW actually has a few more than 28 weekly departures to China.

Quoting PNQIAD (Reply 5):
do UA 744s have legs to do the journey both ways without penalties?

No. UA uses the PW-4056 and they frequently encounter weight restriction problems.

I presume that the other applications are going to be CO EWR-PVG and one from AA. What is AA likely to apply for? DFW-PEK has been mentioned. I guess the other possibilities include ORD-PVG, JFK-PEK and LAX-PEK. Any other guesses?

Is DL out because this round is only for incumbents or is it because they are in Ch.11?

BigGSFO
Topic Author

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 36):
Is DL out because this round is only for incumbents or is it because they are in Ch.11?

Only for incumbants. DL can apply for the 2008 authority.

LAXintl

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:57 am

I do not think that UA's 777-200ERs have the range for IAD-PEK

IAD-PEK is less than 200miles longer than what IAD-NRT will be.
Remember UA and others such as AA/CO use Polar tracks to reach China from the Eastern US which cuts down the ground mileage significantly while encountering minimal winds at such high latitudes.

No. UA uses the PW-4056 and they frequently encounter weight restriction problems.

On extremely long legs such as ORD-HKG and LAX/SFO-SYD which are >7500miles'ish in distance.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

777fan

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:57 am

I also find it interesting that United is wanting to put a 744 on the route rather than use the smaller 777.

Perhaps UA is hedging its bet that because it doesn't expect to meet the pax capacity for each flight, it can offset the "lost" pax revenue with added cargo revenue; I'm basing this on the assumption that the 744 would carry more cargo than a 772.

For example: 744 with 250 pax could carry 20K lbs of cargo whereas a 772 with 250 pax could only carry 15K lbs of cargo (totally made up numbers - I really am not familiar with the cargo loads of these aircraft).

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

STT757

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:29 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 33):
The counter to that though is that if you award the route to CO, you concentrate all of the East Coast's China service to one market, NYC

The counter to that argument is that if you award the route to UAL, you concentrate all the China service from the East Coast to Beijing. With nothing from the East Coast going to Shanghai.

Shanghai is the largest City in the People's Republic of China, New York is the largest City in the United States. Shanghai is China's financial, Commercial, and communications center, New York is likewise the United States Financial, Commerical and media center.

A link between these two similar cities is a must, not to say that linking China's and the United States Political Centers is not important. However Shanghai-New York link has to be the most obvious void in the current US-China aviation market.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

777fan

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:44 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 40):
A link between these two similar cities is a must, not to say that linking China's and the United States Political Centers is not important. However Shanghai-New York link has to be the most obvious void in the current US-China aviation market.

I agree to some extent although it's worth noting that a great deal of business/investment between the US and China needs approval from the feds, making Washington (IAD) an equally important port of entry for enterprising/aspiring Chinese entreprenuers.

777fan

klwright69

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:15 am

Isn't it true that 14 weekly frequencies are going to be awarded??

So it there will be two winners, correct?

ramprat74

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:02 am

I have a feeling that the plane might come from the HNL-KIX flight. Then swap that 777 with one of the 747's that do the Europe runs.

jacobin777

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:46 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 11):

Yes. Though what defines a metro area is always a bit controversial.

City proper not even close. Actually the new US Census estimates came out today.

15 Largest cities linked below.

thanks for the links...what I find interesting is that San Francisco/Oakland/Fremont is in one category and San Jose/Santa Clara is in another category...yet as someone who lives in the Bay Area
(I live only 1-2 miles south of Fremont and a few blocks north of San Jose...), I (amongst everyone else here) consider it to be all part of one metropolitan area.....in fact, many residents commute between the two mentioned areas daily, blurring the distinction between the two even more...

if both were added, that would put it at around 5.9 million people, just above PHL at number 4........

also, SFO airport is basically the only gateway to Asia/Australia from the entire NoCal area...
"Up the Irons!"

BigGSFO
Topic Author

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:56 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 44):
if both were added, that would put it at around 5.9 million people, just above PHL at number 4........

also, SFO airport is basically the only gateway to Asia/Australia from the entire NoCal area...

I agree. I live in San Mateo County and it's one big urban blob from SF to SJ.

RDUDDJI

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:13 am

I do not think that UA's 777-200ERs have the range for IAD-PEK. I presume that they will get the planes by downgauging another Pacific route as UA had mentioned.

As I've mentioned before, don't be surprised when UA announces service intra-asia with the newly refurbished F/C classed 763's...probably next year.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

unitednrt

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:23 am

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 46):

I work at NRT, in a position where i hear all the rumours going around, and have never heard that United would allocate the B767 frame to Narita or Hong Kong,
"...That's a lovely name. My name's Milton; Milton Ettenheim, but my friends call me Bubbles."

jacobin777

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:00 pm

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 45):
I agree. I live in San Mateo County and it's one big urban blob from SF to SJ.

..lol..that's true...add Napa County, Chico, etc... even SMF and Monterey are all basically served with SFO for TransPacific flights....that's a large stretch of land
"Up the Irons!"

ualcsr

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:21 pm

Quoting 777fan (Reply 22):
Any guess as to what Asian route(s) might be next? I would think that there'd be an interest in DEL or BOM again although I'm not sure where that would originate (perhaps IAD, ORD or SFO?). Madras or Bangalore would also be intruiging destinations although that'd really be stretching it (range-wise).

Quoting UnitedNRT (Reply 47):
I work at NRT, in a position where i hear all the rumours going around, and have never heard that United would allocate the B767 frame to Narita or Hong Kong,

I remember reading about possible NRT-BLR service on UA. Any truth to this UnitedNRT?

Also, would UA be able to serve CAN from NRT, NGO or KIX, as they served PEK and PVG from NRT in the past? Are there any governmental restrictions on this now?