BAW076
Topic Author

An Unbelievable Security Lapse At LGW!

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:16 am

A friend of mine who works at LGW check-in, South Terminal, just informed me of a serious security lapse yesterday.

Here is her message:
Someone managed to get onboard a flight - sit down in the seat and everything without a ticket/passport/or boarding card... so they got through 3 sets of security checks and noone realised!!! I guess people at security were so worried about hand luggage etc, they didnt bother matching up the number of boarding cards with the number of pax!

It occured on a Monarch Airlines flight.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Now this is just ridiculous, given the security levels here at the moment at our airports! It certainly doesnt do my confidence in airport security any favours!

What are your thoughts?!

Regards,
BAW076
N754AN (x2), G-CPEL, G-MIDE, G-BPEC, G-BZHC, EI-DCH, LN-KKN, G-VIIW, G-BNLT, G-DBCA, G-MEDE, G-DBCE, G-MIDP.

SP90

RE: An Unbelievable Security Lapse At LGW!

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:27 am

Did this individual make himself invisible in the visual spectrum and just walk right onto the plane? What happened to matching boarding pass with photo id?

jwenting

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:27 am

sounds wrong. Without a passport that person wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the security checkpoints on most airports, and passport control checks boarding cards as well (usually).
Of course with electronic checkin you can now get a boarding card without showing your passport at the checkin desk and with e-tickets many airlines no longer have tickets to show (only numbers), so there being no ticket is not so strange.

Most likely this is a story that got seriously mangled and someone somehow made it onto the wrong aircraft.
Also a lapse of security, but a minor one and more annoying than threatening.
I wish I were flying

BAW076
Topic Author

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:31 am

It did sound a bit far fetched to me, but she assures me that is how it is. I will speak to her again later and try get a more detailed account of it.
N754AN (x2), G-CPEL, G-MIDE, G-BPEC, G-BZHC, EI-DCH, LN-KKN, G-VIIW, G-BNLT, G-DBCA, G-MEDE, G-DBCE, G-MIDP.

Manyqb

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:32 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4796199.stm

BBC report: An investigation has been launched after a 12-year-old boy managed to board a plane at Gatwick without tickets during the security alert.

Paul
One good turn takes the cover...

AI

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:33 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4796199.stm

Boy boards plane without tickets
An investigation has been launched after a 12-year-old boy managed to board a plane at Gatwick without tickets during the security alert.
The boy, reported to be from Penrith in Cumbria, but thought to have run away from a care home in Birkenhead, Merseyside, was heading to Lisbon.

He was discovered on Monday's 0600 BST Monarch flight before it took off.

Security officers and Sussex Police were informed after cabin crew found the boy on the plane.

A statement from Gatwick Airport said although the child had passed through a full security screening process, it was "confident that there was no threat to passengers, staff or the aircraft at any time".

"A full investigation is now under way," it said.

Thats from BBC website.

ManchesterMAN

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:55 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 2):
sounds wrong. Without a passport that person wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the security checkpoints on most airports, and passport control checks boarding cards as well (usually).

I quite easily boarded a plane a few weeks ago without showing any ID. Actually has happened twice recenly. You use the kiosk to check in, security in the UK only check your boarding pass and the gate agents simply don't bother.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

ltbewr

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:03 am

OK, so you spend billions on airline security, make people go through all kinds of security checks and rules and a 12 year old kid somehow sneaks onto a mainline passanger aircraft at a major international airport. No wonder we have to worry about terror on our aircraft. I hope some heads roll from the airport to the airline.

JGPH1A

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:08 am

Not in the UK. There are no Immigration checks when departing the UK, and anyway, it was a 12 year old. Everyone assumes he's "with" someone and lets him by.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

MichiganMAN

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:16 am

Quoting AI (Reply 5):
but thought to have run away from a care home in Birkenhead, Merseyside

surprised the kid wasn't trying to "hot-wire" the plane..........
UK -> USA

blueflyer

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:34 am

Of course with electronic checkin you can now get a boarding card without showing your passport at the checkin desk and with e-tickets many airlines no longer have tickets to show (only numbers), so there being no ticket is not so strange.

Tell that to CO. Whoever does their security in Europe (and by that I mean AMS, BRU, CDG and LGW) hasn't awakened to the days of electronic ticket and electronic check-in.

I have been held and questioned much more than usual every time for traveling either on an e-ticket or with a self-printed boarding pass. When presenting either one of those documents, I have been asked to show:
-a receipt (I don't need one, so why would I carry one);
-a paper ticket (apparently CDG has never heard of e-tickets);
-a frequent flyer card (made a big deal of the fact I didn't have it with me in AMS, nevermind that the number was on the boarding pass that I printed myself);
-a print-out of my itinerary (it's been years since I bothered with one, I've got my complete itinerary in my PDA);
-proof that I reached the airport by train as I claimed (AMS and CDG).

I don't intend to be ranting against security measures or security officials per say, they're only doing their job after all, but when carriers, and especially CO, are encouraging their passengers to travel on etickets and print their own boarding passes before arriving at the airport, it would be nice if they notified their airport security staff so that the mere fact of acting in according with the carrier's wishes doesn't trigger additional scrutiny (and no, this isn't because I might be on some security list mandating a more thorough questioning, unless security officials have an excellent memory, because all that occured without any of them referring to any list of any kind).
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

ManchesterMAN

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:41 am

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 10):
I have been held and questioned much more than usual every time for traveling either on an e-ticket or with a self-printed boarding pass. When presenting either one of those documents, I have been asked to show:
-a receipt (I don't need one, so why would I carry one);
-a paper ticket (apparently CDG has never heard of e-tickets);
-a frequent flyer card (made a big deal of the fact I didn't have it with me in AMS, nevermind that the number was on the boarding pass that I printed myself);
-a print-out of my itinerary (it's been years since I bothered with one, I've got my complete itinerary in my PDA);
-proof that I reached the airport by train as I claimed (AMS and CDG).

All this crap is standard practice when travelling from Europe to the US on a US carrier. You should always carry a receipt when travelling internationally as some immigration officials will want to see that you have a ticket back to where you came from. It is standard for these to be checked at European departure airports in the check-in line. As for the rest I'd have to put it down to security people on a power trip or something. There have been many threads about strange things these guys have asked. So what if you arrived by train?
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

Ned Kelly

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:40 am

Quoting MichiganMAN (Reply 9):

rotfl 

Wonder how he got from Birkenead to Gatwick, some 200 miles? Possibly the burnt out car outside the terminal might be a clue! He will probably just get another ASBO.

What drew my attention to this topic was that my daughter arrived at LGW by Monarch at 23:00 on the Sunday night from Faro, anyone know if this was the same plane?

N1120A

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:12 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 8):
Not in the UK. There are no Immigration checks when departing the UK, and anyway, it was a 12 year old. Everyone assumes he's "with" someone and lets him by.

When departing the UK on a flight to another EU country (Germany in this case), I have had my passport and boarding pass checked.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

BHMNONREV

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:19 pm

Quoting Ned Kelly (Reply 12):
Wonder how he got from Birkenead to Gatwick, some 200 miles?

And then managed to board an aircraft with no one noticing. Sounds like a very resourceful young man, perhaps BAA should hire him as a security expert, ala Frank Abagnale...

MEA-707

Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:00 pm

drama drama... what harm could he have done to the plane? Probably his handluggage (if any) was screened. Plus he was caught before even taking off. I think especially UK newspapers can overdramatize things like this too much.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

TheSunseeker

Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:26 pm

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 15):
drama drama... what harm could he have done to the plane? Probably his handluggage (if any) was screened. Plus he was caught before even taking off. I think especially UK newspapers can overdramatize things like this too much.

If that kid can board unnoticed, some crazy terrorist f*** might as well do the same!  banghead   alert 
RSA: Dont drink and drive - take the train and get mugged

Almeriabound

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:40 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 13):
Quoting MichiganMAN (Reply 9):

Wonder how he got from Birkenead to Gatwick, some 200 miles? Possibly the burnt out car outside the terminal might be a clue! He will probably just get another ASBO.

Thanks mate - that's the best laugh I've had for a long time!!!!! Surprised the wheels were still on the aircraft.............

Saludos from Almeria
Mike Barker in Almeria

ajd1992

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:59 pm

You don't need to show a passport if you use the e-check-in machine, and no one else bothers. Only the check-in agent is actually bothered to check the photo and name matches. Before 9/11, UK citizens didn't even need a passport for internal flights (between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) or a driving licence was enough (i think, not sure). Goes to show that maybe they do need to beef up on checking the actual ID of the people, not just the stuff they carry around with them.

On the other hand... bloody scousers are at it again, with planes this time!!  Big grin  Wink

GBan

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:02 pm

I very much prefer a boy beeing able to board an aircraft without ticket after having gone through security - compared to someone beeing able to board the aircraft with ticket but avoiding the security check.

In fact I don't see a "security lapse" here.

bananaboy

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:10 pm

Hearing from Radio 5 that Thomas Cook have announced another lapse. Sketchy info from the beeb (and couldn't see anything on the website) but they said that the aircraft had arrived from the US. The aircraft was being cleaned, when a man was spotted near the cockpit, holding a briefcase and sweating profusely. He had broken a glass door to gain access to the terminal. Staff tried to detain but the guy ran off before the police arrived. A search was conducted but nothing was found.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

mhodgson

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:15 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 18):
Before 9/11, UK citizens didn't even need a passport for internal flights (between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) or a driving licence was enough (i think, not sure).

We still don't - my driving licence is fine as ID on a domestic flight.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

LHR777

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:24 pm

Quoting GBan (Reply 19):
In fact I don't see a "security lapse" here.

Well, the kid was screened properly by the BAA screeners. By this, I mean the use of the Archway Metal detectors and Handheld wands.

The problem occured at the BP check before security screening. I guess he just must have said something like "my dad's got my boarding pass" and vaguely pointed to some bloke in the crowd.

My question is this - how/why did Monarch let him board their aircraft? At BA where I work, I always compare name on passport to name on boarding pass and even compare the picture to the passenger. Don't Monarch do passport checks prior to boarding?

BAtriple7

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:42 pm

Quoting LHR777 (Reply 22):
My question is this - how/why did Monarch let him board their aircraft? At BA where I work, I always compare name on passport to name on boarding pass

A few weeks ago I got on a BA shorthaul flight where the boarding was done quickly - and I was surprised that my passport was in fact not checked. They just put my boarding pass through the machine.

However, most of the time they do check the passport too. But you'd think that in the post-9/11 security climate, they'd do it all the time.

bh4007

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:59 pm

Why is it a threat to security?

The bottom line is; no one can board a plane unless they walk through a metal detector and their baggage must go through the X-ray screener. Just because the airport didn't see his ID or the lack of a ticket didn't mean he was dangerous.

Unless of course the security staff are more bothered about when their shift ends than the security of the passengers but that's another story......

cwldude

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:59 pm

It's totally unacceptable!

I heard this on the news this morning and I genuinely fail to believe it! The BAA have a lot of ass kicking to do after this! I mean... if a kid can simply get through security, past the gates, and on-board and aircraft, a grown man could easily do it, imagine how much damage this could have caused if it was an actual terrorist??

Gatwick need to sort themselves out!
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

jasond

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:04 pm

Actually as far fetched as this sounds I have seen how easily it could happen. Many a time I have been in Australian domestic lounges and witnessed gate attendants so preoccupied with the rush to board that a person could easily slip through unnoticed for nefarious reasons or otherwise. The only way they would be noticed is of course is if the plane was fully booked (some legitimate pax missed out on a seat!!). You may ask how does a non-booked person get this far anyway, well simple really when you consider that visitors are allowed right upto the gate in many countries and there are no checks for travel status at the checkpoint, certainly not in Oz anyways.

cwldude

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:15 pm

Quoting Jasond (Reply 26):

Yes, but, this is the point. At the best of times in the UK there's no way anyone who isn't flying is allowed past the security area (which is before the depature lounge), and especially this week when our security should be higher than ever!
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

jasond

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:32 pm

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 27):
At the best of times in the UK there's no way anyone who isn't flying is allowed past the security area (which is before the depature lounge), and especially this week when our security should be higher than ever!

If I read this forum correctly then I think that's exactly what happened!!

I think the component that failed here is probably the human one. It's a little like having the strongest password possible to protect your computer yet it is so easily compromised by writing it down on a piece of paper so you don't forget it. Its all very well saying a non-traveller can't get to a gate without being screened and checked etc but all it takes is a little human distraction coupled with a busy day plus an innocent looking face plus etc etc plus ..... a million other human factors that we can't think of. All of a sudden he's on the plane...

abc9

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:03 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 21):
We still don't - my driving licence is fine as ID on a domestic flight.

Likewise between Ireland and the UK - photo ID will suffice

airbus3801

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:15 am

For those who say if a 12 year old got by, anyone could note, no one thinks a little boy is a risk and warrants precautions. Now if a 30 yr. old man tried the same, not many people would just think he was with those other people. If there were empty seats on that Monarch-light, he could have actually made it to Portugal, but of course he wouldn't get far w/ no passport.

scbriml

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:35 am

There are no Immigration checks when departing the UK, and anyway, it was a 12 year old

It does vary. Sometimes no, sometimes yes. In view of the current security situation, I'd be surprised if there was no immigration checks on leaving the UK.

Everyone assumes he's "with" someone and lets him by.

Agreed. A very likely scenario.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

access-air

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:46 am

Well I think the problem is that we need to do away with the ONLINE check-in and the check-in Kiosks......That is a contributing factor in the whole airport security breach.....Face to face contact with these people is much safer...Besides, if something is not right better to have a ticket agent find it at check-in rather than securitry screeners 20 minutes after they find something and the person has disppeared into the mass of people resulting shutdown and evacuation of the terminal.......Simply how idiotic is this practice?
Why are the security screeners not seeing this stuff until 20 minutes have passed their check point? If they see something they need to just take careof it then!!!
We cannot be 100% accurate, but by helping the Terrorists do their job by implementing self check-in devices simply because airlines are losing money is just giving them a whole playing field to use.........In the end ALL Airlines are losing out and the Terrorists are sitting back and laughing whilst we sit and chase our tails....
Simply unbelieveable...

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

TheSorcerer

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:55 am

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 27):
At the best of times in the UK there's no way anyone who isn't flying is allowed past the security area

What about parents of a Unaccompanied minor (UM)?
I thought they were aloud to go right up to the boarding gate with them.

Dominic
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

cwldude

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 33):

Don't know if that's true or not but it's the first I've heard of it.

Quoting Airbus3801 (Reply 30):
For those who say if a 12 year old got by, anyone could note, no one thinks a little boy is a risk and warrants precautions. Now if a 30 yr. old man tried the same, not many people would just think he was with those other people.

That's totally defeating the point, if we're at a severe state of emergency, every single person, child or adult, should be checked, no exceptions... if it was as simple as many people on this site seem to think it is, there wouldn't be such a fuss made about it, and BAA wouldn't be in such a state of embarassment about it!

B747-437B

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:32 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 31):
It does vary. Sometimes no, sometimes yes.

No. It does not vary. There are no formal immigration checks when departing the UK, period. The departure check stamp has even been officially withdrawn from circulation.

There are occasional "embarkation checks", which is a process to verify that specific passengers have boarded a flight. It is an informal process that involves immigration officers simply walking through the crowd of passengers and checking passengers at "random".
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

XXXX10

Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:08 am

IMHO

The security system worked in the end because he was discovered.

There were two lapses, one that he was not turned back at the central search point (the BAA would be responsible)

The other mistake was the airlines in letting him on the aircraft without a boarding card.

As many have said it appears he would have been screened.

IMHO this lapse could not benefit a terrorist as I would guess that no terrorist would risk getting caught before departure by having incorrect documents.

It would of course be a benefit to anyone who was on the no fly list or selected for additional screening.

I have always believed that security would be enhanced by proper screening of all passengers rather than selecting a few because of their names or country of origin

Just my $0.02

[Edited 2006-08-16 19:10:25]

[Edited 2006-08-16 19:11:45]

jmc757

Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:56 am

Don't think so. I know its definately not allowed at BHX, and would imagine this is the same for all other UK airports. Usually the parents opt to wait landside with the child and then take them to a designated point when called where handling agent staff will meet them and take the UM through security and down to the aircraft.

I can't see how he would have got through the central security i.e. through to the departure lounge. At the UK airports I've flown from recently I have always had passport and boarding pass checked when passing this point.

B747-437B

Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:06 am

UM guardians have to hand the kids over to designated airline staff at the checkin counters who then escort the child through security and to the aircraft. The parent must remain landside at the airport until the flight is airborne though.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

threepoint

Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 25):
if a kid can simply get through security, past the gates, and on-board and aircraft, a grown man could easily do it, imagine how much damage this could have caused if it was an actual terrorist??

Quoting TheSunseeker (Reply 16):
If that kid can board unnoticed, some crazy terrorist f*** might as well do the same!

Yawn. Get over yourselves guys...the aviation world has enough drama without the conjecture, speculation and 'what if' games you're playing. It's an imperfect world we live in; mistakes have been, are being, and will continue to be made by all of us. Let's not rant about what 'could have' happened.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

fbgdavidson

Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:11 am

Obviously not are serious but on a related note I'd like to know why five months ago at CPT someone was allowed to board a BA aircraft with an identical copy of my boarding pass. The airport was on the wrong side of meltdown thanks to a power cut and all check-in was done manually including hand search of checked luggage by torchlight in the check-in area!!!

As a result we had two lots of security checks, rigorously checking of IDs against BPs and boarding of the aircraft was done by bus. Before boarding it our BPs were swiped and checked off against computer and then towards the end of the boarding process I was onboard settling in and a BA rep comes and asks to see my boarding pass. Appears I am in someone elses seat! Well I get my BP and passport from my bag and hold them out and another guy shows a BP with my name, seat number and FF number on it along with a passport with completely different name!! How on earth could this happen and how the hell did the guy pass through three security checks and make it aboard???

Quoting N1120A (Reply 13):
When departing the UK on a flight to another EU country (Germany in this case), I have had my passport and boarding pass checked.

That's no immmigration check. That was an ID check, and of course you are required to hold a passport when travelling between UK and Germany (non-Schengen to Schengen) so it is logical to bring that with you. There is no formal immigration check when departing the UK.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

ltbewr

Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:54 am

One problem that may have let this kid get past security is that due to handicapped, emergency access needs (fire egress for example), strucural limitations and the need to reconfigure security areas, many airports may be limited in setting hard walls or barriers at security checkpoints. They use temporary or movable barriers so security areas can be reconfigered quickly so can move security equipment if it breaks, expand or contract as needed, fit in new and bulkier equipment or make more room for other screening needs (like to take off and put on shoes). That can leave holes in the 'fence' where perhaps this kid could have passed through. Still it is making everyone look very bad.