MSYtristar
Topic Author

Delta Air Lines Memories

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:01 am

1988...March, 1988 I think it was...my family and I just flew from MSY to ATL on a 72S...it was an 8:00pm-ish flight, connecting to Orlando. Now we had flown Delta probably a half dozen times before that, usually headed off to MCO on one of the nonstops. This trip was a little different since we were going to change in ATL.

At the time, I was only nine years old, and I had never flown on a wide body. When we got to the departure gate in ATL for the MCO flight, I caught a brief glimpse of the tail engine on the plane, and said to myself "oh no not another 727!" Boy was I ever wrong. For it wasn't a 727 #2 engine I was looking at, it was a L-1011!

That was an amazing flight...the flight was less than half full...my dad and I sat on the two seat side...my mother and my brother sat across the aisle in the middle...and I convinced my dad to videotape the takeoff. I just kept saying over and over "we're on a Lockheed Tristar!". I was such an airplane dork back then...maybe even more so than today.

We flew back to MSY on a 72S and landed in a bad thunderstorm...but since it was a 727, it was hardly bumpy.

I miss the good old days of commercial aviation. But then again, I'm sure everyone does.

deltagator

RE: Delta Air Lines Memories

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:22 am

I spent a lot of time on the Tristars. I really miss those planes and the way they vibrated and shook the whole way down the runway. The burgundy interior and the 1960s looking frosted glass up by the First Class galley. What a kick ass plane!

As for those 727s...you miss them now I bet. Do you remember the really ugly red, yellow, and orange interior they had on some of them? Never sure how that fit the Delta color scheme though.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:29 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 1):
Do you remember the really ugly red, yellow, and orange interior they had on some of them?

Oh yes, and I remember being stuck in the smoking section on several of those.

Funny how now i'd take a flight in the smoking section of a 727 anytime over a flight in a new A320 or 737.

nonrevman

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:31 am

As a kid, I remember the white plastic L1011's and the wings that you got when you flew. Does anyone remember the playing card deck where the Tristars were pictured on the aces? I have not seen one of those decks for a while.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:35 am

Quoting Nonrevman (Reply 3):
As a kid, I remember the white plastic L1011's

Oh man I used to get a lot of those from Delta Air Cargo here in MSY. My grandpa used to own a restaurant here and he got lobsters flown in from Maine once a week via DL. Of course, I had to tag along.

aal0616

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:48 am

Here's one for you: how about the Delta versions of C-130 Hercules all-cargo aircraft?

Cadet57

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:48 am

My first trip to MCO back in 1997 was on a DLX 732 oilburner  Wink. Best time ever. The whole t/o my face was stuck to the window watching BDL get smaller and smaller and smaller. I'll never forget landing in MCO either. I watched those clamshells in awe and will never forget how cool it was trying to stop that beast. That and I now know im not allowed to play with the airphone  Wink
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

MontanaFL

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:16 pm

My dad retired from DL in 1995, so plenty of memories. Loved the L-1011 but next on the list was the DC-8. I think my last flight on a DC-8 was CLE-ATL on my way home to TPA. What I enjoyed most was F/C when I could get it. The seats were First Class and the food was outstanding. Family trip back in the early 80's flying from BOS-CVG on a 727 all 5 of us in F/C. Shrimp cocktail, great steak dinner and then sundae's for dessert and all this on what, a 2 hour flight? DL today is not the same as then, but then again no airline is hat it was back then.

DeltaGator - I agree with you on the L-1011 vibrating and shook the whole way down the runway. How about hearing the creaks, moans, etc when lowering the flaps? I also remember the "really ugly red, yellow, and orange interior..." Brings back memories.

Nonrevman - I have one of those plastic L-1011's and have no intention of ever giving it up
I miss those DL L-1011's

TokyoNarita

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:30 pm

I remember flying Delta's L1011 SLC-PDX-LAX in 1996.

TokyoNarita

BHMNONREV

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:39 pm

Had my first Delta experience in Feb 1974, D9S from STL-IAH. My grandmother was going to Houston for cancer treatment at Texas Medical Center and they invited me along. My Pop (worked for TW) got some 75% off employee passes since TWA did not fly to Houston and we were able to enjoy the excellent F service (since Grandma would not be caught dead in "coach"). At that time a round-trip F class ticket from STL-IAH was around $300.00, so my Dad was able to get them for $75.00. I remember asking him at the time, why not American, because they also flew the STL-IAH route. Because I "only" get 50% off with American...lol

I remember receiving a boarding pass at the gate in STL with the old peel and stick seat numbers, thought that was kinda cool. Boarded outdoors (STL only had one jetway at the time) in the nasty St. Louis winter, snow, sleet it was an absolute mess that day. Upon our arrival at Intercontinental that evening, it was 79 degrees, and as we pulled up to one of the banjos on the southside I looked out the right hand window and got my first look at a Delta DC-10 and several other Delta aircraft. I thought I had died and went to Delta heaven.

On the return I flew unaccompanied on a 727-100 and with a 100+ MPH tail wind we made it back to STL in about an hour and 15 min.

Up to that point in my life all of my flights had been on TWA and this trip gave me a soft spot for the widget, which has remained to this day...

modesto2

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:12 pm

I have fond memories of my one and only first class flight: DL234, SFO-SLC in August 1991 on a 757.

I also remember ATL-SFO on a mighty L-1011 TriStar with FIVE lavatories all clustered in the rear cabin.

The good ole days of commercial aviation...

STT757

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:04 pm

I flew DL between EWR and Orlando on a number of occasions in the Early Nineties before Delta Express or Song came along, the aircraft were a L-1011-200, 757-200, M88 and a Shuttle 727.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

brons2

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:16 pm

Many fond memories of the 727 on Delta.

Several trips on the 767 SLC-PDX and PDX-SLC.

L1011 MCO-DFW 1997.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

L1011dal

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:29 pm

The Delta L1011 will always be my favorite. The 727's were also a nice ride that I'll never forget. I remember flying on both the L1011 and 727 from MCO-MSY nonstop which is now flown by RJ's. I had the pleasure of taking both of the aircraft to Victorvile on retirement flights which was basically a 5 hour party. Lot's of photos from the flights at

http://www.l1011.homestead.com

Type-Rated

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:56 pm

Speaking of the DL DC-8's, I remember flying the "Super 8" MSY-ORD and ORD-FLL in First. They still had the curtains on the windows, instead of window shades. And when it spooled up for takeoff, you really knew you were going somewhere!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

DAL767400ER

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:00 pm

Quoting AAL0616 (Reply 5):
Here's one for you: how about the Delta versions of C-130 Hercules all-cargo aircraft?

Actually, those weren't conversions. The L-100 were real pax planes by Lockheed based off the C-130, in an attempt to enter the civil aviation market. Didn't work too well, as only very few were sold.
As far as memories about DL go, many of them are not so clear, as I was very young during most of the trips, but I remember a few "significant" moments:
-Arriving at ATL(where else?) after a long flight from cold Hamburg, only to instantly feel the typical Southern heat upon entering the jetway - major temperature shock back then.
-Of course, I also slightly remember just how different ATL looked some 15 years ago, with small security, mostly brownish main terminal area, and seeing KLM 747s alongside LH 747s at Concourse T.
-Not so many 727 memories, except for my worst landing ever in a major crosswind while landing on rwy 27L at ATL, as well as having my first solo flight as a passenger on a 727 from IAH to JFK.
-As far as L-1011s go, got to fly them many times across the pond, primarily from BRU and FRA (large oil spill besides the plane once), only had very few domestic segments with them, one of them ATL-LAX, with an excellent view of the Grand Canyon, awesome sight.
Other than that, around 90% of all my flights with Delta were on 767s or 757s, with a 777, MD-11, MD-88, CRJ or 732 sewn in for good measure.

xaphan

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:21 pm

My first flight on Delta was a very early morning "night coach" flight from CVG-ORD in 1962 to connect to NW to SEA. It was my first time travelling alone and I was 16 at the time. It was supposed to be a DC 6, but due to a major airline strike (which is why I was flying out of CVG instead of my native SDF), an extra section was running with a CV 880! Given the choice, I jumped at the chance to fly on the new, sleek Convair, still in its' "Golden Crown" paint scheme. I sat in the first row in coach, and was thrilled as we blasted off the runway and roared into the summer dawn sky. It took us only forty minutes to cover the distance to Chicago, coming in over Lake Michigan and the Loop. Landing hot and fast, it was a marvelous introduction to the airline that was "ready when I was".

Little could I imagine that my life would take me back to ORD and then SDF and 33 years working for Delta, but I will never forget that first, exciting flight.

MastaHanky

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:26 pm

My best memory is flying SLC-LAX on what I now believe to be an MD-11. It was for a high school competition and there were ten of us in our group. I distinctly remember there being five seats in the middle section (I imagine it was 2-5-2), and watching the flight info screen that shows your altitude and air speed. Some time during the flight, the pilot got on the mic and announced the presence of our group going to the competition which was kind of cool.

Maybe some of you olde ... I mean ... more knowledgable members can tell me what I flew. This happened sometime around 1996.

aal0616

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:23 pm

Traveling aboard Delta 747s several times from Miami to Chicago and back again during the early 1970s, or, nonstop from Miami to San Francisco on the stretched DC-8.

DesertAir

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:18 pm

My first Delta flight was an early morning L-1011 flight from SFO-LAX in 1984. A number of majors flew large planes on this route for repositioning and continuation flights.

Eric777

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:07 pm

Quoting Nonrevman (Reply 3):
Does anyone remember the playing card deck where the Tristars were pictured on the aces? I have not seen one of those decks for a while.

Yes. I have a New York deck of cards with the L1011s on the aces. A friend gave them to me many years ago. Anyway, I've only flown Delta a few times but those flights were suberb.
-Eric

AirCop

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:13 pm

In 1974 flying the DFW-SFO route in L-1011's (ah yes only 4 across seating in the middle) the morning flights had steak, eggs and champagne for breakfast. Great service for a very good airline in that time period. Just a note for the young ones here those were the days when AA was #3 at DFW.

andz

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:20 pm

On my first trip to the USA in 1991 I flew Delta FRA-DFW then DFW-HOU. The first leg was a Tristar daylight flight and I was in business class, I remember it had nice leather seats, great food and very attentive cabin crew. I still have the amenity kit from that flight somewhere with everything in it!

The second leg DFW-HOU was on a DC-9 if I remember rightly and the captain was welcoming everyone aboard at the door!

My return flight was Lufthansa IAH-CLT-FRA and it was terrible. I was in the upper deck of a 742 and for the leg to CLT I was practically alone up there. We all got off in CLT while they refuelled then when we reboarded the upper deck was full. I'll never forget, I sat next to a travel agent named Mitzi who was on her first trip out of the USA. When she heard I was from South Africa she bombarded me with questions for ages then slept like a baby as we flew through a wild storm and turbulence while I, frequent flyer or not, didn't get a wink of sleep!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

MCOflyer

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:24 pm

At MCO I miss sing those L1011's. I remember my dad saying those were the most comfortable planes to fly on.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

sampa737

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:56 pm

I remember flying ATL-MEM on an L-1011 with my dad once back in the 70s.
Then there was the DC-8 we flew to Florida from Memphis.
I also remember DLs "owly bird" flights. I flew alone from Fort Lauderdale, connecting through Atlanta, and arriving in Memphis around 1:30am. Big time for a 12 year old. I picked the flight. Mom wasn't real happy picking me up that time of night. I also remember the entire "C" concourse at MEM being nothing but Delta. I think now they have 3 of the gates, the rest to NWA. They still have the check-in on "C" concourse.
Now, DL in MEM is mainly RJ's and MD88s. I still choose to fly DL over NWA anyday!

DL4EVR

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:06 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 21):
In 1974 flying the DFW-SFO route in L-1011's (ah yes only 4 across seating in the middle) the morning flights had steak, eggs and champagne for breakfast

Was this in Y or F??
We Love To Fly And It Shows.

johnclipper

Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:58 am

I can remember their frequent flyer awards - a free coach ticket or 75% off of First Class. Flew First Class in 1994 MCO-DFW (L-1011)-SLC(B767-300)-ANC(B767-300)-SEA(B757-200)-LAX(B757-200)-MCO(B767-300) for $750. First time I had an ice cream sundae on a plane.
"Flown every aircraft since the Wright Flyer" (guys, if you take this literally, then you need to get a life...)

scintx

Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:53 am

I've had a long association with Delta that goes back to the later 60's. My parents nor have I ever worked for an airline. I've been a airline dork for the better part of my life. Let me share with you some of my fond memories of DL.

In Houston at Hobby airport I can remember getting on a CV880. This was around 1967-1969. Can't tell you much about the flight other than fighting with my brother over the window seat. Forty years later we still have the same problem.

My first 747 that I ever saw was at DAL in July 1973 as a afternoon DL 747 comes in for a landing. My brother and I saw it in a distance and thought it was a 707/DC-8 until if got closer and then we took off to grab our dad. We still talk about that day. I'm still impressed with the widget on a 747.

We were housing hunting in the MEM area in 1974. My dad took my brother and I over to the airport and saw many Delta DC-9's landing. I had never seen that many DC-9's before. Just about that time my brother and I each got a Bachmann Brothers Delta DC-9 plastic plane that my brother has to this day!

My first 767 flight was on Delta. This was a surprise in Summer 1989. I had a BOS-DFW flight and either a equipment sub or clueless idiot that should have checked the itinerary. I saw a movie on the flight and that also may be a first. I think the movie was the dream team with Michael Keeton. Funny movie!

We moved to DFW area summer of 1975 and remember going out to what is Terminal E to see the Delta planes. The L1011, what a dream that was. DFW was a cool time back then. We use to go out to the Braniff terminal and take the train to the other terminals. Lot's of fun and I seem to recall there were DC-8's there.

In summer of 1978 my dad had a conference in Southern California. He decided to take the family and make it our summer trip. We had the trip planned and it was DFW-LAX on a L1011. At the last minute they changed the location to DFW!! So needless to say my L1011 flight was pushed back until 1999. I finally did a L1011 ORD-ATL in 1999 and another from TPA-ATL in 2000. My brother has never been on a L1011.

I was flying from DFW-CVG in summer 1989. The captain announced the plane we were on (MD-88) was new and this was like on of the few flights it had been on.

My first MD-90 flight was on DL. Been on a few DL MD-90's now but so far no other carrier.

My first L1011 flight was from ORD-ATL. I had a long day at work and was very happy to fly my first L1011. I have been on well over 600 planes since 1998 and I'll never forget that flight.

One of my favorite flights was a red eye from LAS to BOS, stated out at LAX before the short hop to LAS. I never slept that night, drank a bit and saw a lot of the country on a beautiful moon lighted night/morning. Saw Chicago at 4AM and not long after that had Long Island in view just before dawn. After landing I got the rental car and drove 400 miles to Presque Isle Maine.

My sad memory is the 1988 Delta crash at DFW with the 727. All crashes make me said for the people that are lost and the people that survive them. This crash was a little closer to me. There was a gentleman on board that did not survive. He was on his way for a job interview in SLC. We had interviewed him at work a few weeks before. I voted to hire him. I can't recall if we had made a final decision at that point. I remember getting news that he had been on board the plane. It's always easy to look back, but what if we had hired him and he wound not have been on that plane. He was a good man and I was very impressed with him. I know he left behind a family and that still makes me sad to this day.

Delta has always had a soft spot in my heart. My Mom was always a big Delta fan and she got me started with them. My first cockpit (In flight I might add) was on Delta around 1967. I really hope things turn around and Delta resumes where they left off. There is a lot of good history with this carrier and I look forward to a great future. Thanks for the good memories.

Since 1998 I've had the chance to fly Delta often. Since then I have been on the following planes and cities.

727-200
MD88
MD90
L1011
757-200
767-300
737-200
737-800

DFW,BOS,SNA,LAX,SLC,LAS,ORD,ATL,SAN,PDX,TPA,CVG,DAY,FNT,BGR,OAK, RNO,AUS.
Attention All Planets of the Solar Federation....We have assumed control.....We have assumed control......

YULYMX

Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:22 am

Delta L1011 and 767 from Yul to BOS-PBI and Yul-mia-fll

WOW love those tristar... later got the chance for 7-8 years to fly TriStar from Air Transat pretty good the 150 and 500 series...

SLCUT2777

Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:37 am

Being from Salt Lake City I have many memories of Western Airlines before their merger with Delta. But only 4 years after the merger I had a sister move to south Florida (Boca Raton) and I remember my first trip to the sunshine state back in the early 1990s on a 752 to FLL via MCO. The "Widget" livery ruled in those days before it gave way to the "Deltaflot" eventually. My last flight on a DL 727 was in May of 2000 and they pulled the last one not to long after that as I recall, and the Tri-Star a year or so later. Speaking of Tri-Stars I can't count the number of times I took one between FLL-ATL and they were always full. While I know many of you miss the tri-jets, and will miss the mad dogs when they go, DL did do the right thing by going the direction they did with the 763ER, 764ER and the 772ER. For the narrows I like the 752 and 738, but like many on these boards I detest the CRJ-100/200 which Comair and other DL connection carriers seemingly have too many of!
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

DeltaRules

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:00 am

Plenty of Delta memories:
-My first L-1011 flight (9/95, SFO-ATL), being surprised at how big the cabin was. That was my first flight into ATL & I couldn't believe how long the concourses were. I also flew ATL-CMH on a 757 that same day & being shocked that somebody flew something bigger than a 727 into my airport. I miss the CMH 757s...

-Flying on the L10 to/from Puerto Rico each year from 1997-99 & becoming a huge fan of the L-1011. That was a cool airplane...I really liked the noises the engines made spooling up. I even ended up associating the L10 with Puerto Rico wherever I saw one.

-Getting to ride the elevator & go to the lower galley on an L10 after a TPA-ATL flight in 1998 & snapping pictures on a disposable camera, only to have all the pictures underexposed when I got home.

-Flying ATL-CMH on a 757 in 1998 through a huge line of storms & almost having to divert to Tennessee. One of the most nerve-racking flights of my life. Still haven't been bounced around that badly by turbulence.

-Being stoked that we were ticketed to go on Delta's last scheduled L-1011 flight, only to be told by a reservations agent that the L10s had been retired on 7/17/01. We changed airlines & saved $100 a person doing so & arrived MCO on 7/24/01, only to see N728DA parked at Delta's airside, still in service. Only time I've ever thought about ditching Delta as my main airline. Granted, I was only 14 at the time & didn't know much better.

-My first post-9/11 flight was on Delta.

-My first & only Song flight, which came as the result of being bumped twice in DAB & racking up $1200 in vouchers over two days between my mom & I. A gate agent there was planning to send us out of DAB to CMH & was more than happy to send us to MCO when I brought up Song. My mom & I went MCO-BOS-CMH, but it was well worth it!

-My first 738, 763, 763ER, 777, L10, CRJ-200 & CRJ-700 flights were on DL/DL Connection.

-My last L10, EMB-120 & 73S flights were on DL/DL Connection.

Here's something for the Delta L-1011 fans:
http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra..._Airlines_Aviation_Video-6141.html

DeltaRules
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

freedom747

Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:52 am

Anybody remember the awesome sounding of the chimes? Ahhhh yes. The TriStar. What about the blinking of the fasten seat belt sign....how awesome was that.

TPAnx

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:06 am

Best Delta flights....ORH-LGA-MIA. Remember "Royal Service"? Champagne, and a steak dinner...in Coach. Was also flying to the west coast for a convention..at mealtime, a FA came back to me in coach with a seating chart with my seat marked in red, and a first class menu, and told me to order my
lunch. College kid sitting next to me asked how I rated that. To this day, I don't know. I've had many great flights on Delta--due to the great Delta people. Many have gone out of their way to improve connections, etc., even though the "rules" didn't allow it Thanks to all of them.
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

ImperialEagle

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:20 am

I remember those DC-3 flights BTR-ATL when I was a kid. Pulling myself up the aisle by the seat backs to get to that cherished first window! One could see the engine action from there.
Didn't get to fly on one of the '4s or 049's. Flew on PLENTY of 6's and 7's. And in those days there was "Royal Service"!

Remember the "D-46's" (C-46's) Cargo planes, and later the L-100's.

My first flight on a jet! CV-880 ATL-MIA via JAX---awesome! Flew on LOTS more!

All models of DC-8 including the -30's. Cadillacs! Sound effects around ATL almost always punctuated by those pneumatic starters howling.Royal Service was superb and never stopped on those non-stops from ATL to LAX or SFO.

747's ATL-LAX, ATL-ORD. (My first 747 flight on the IAD-ATL leg of the PA/DL interchange from Europe. Light on fuel our take-off was a BLAST-OFF!) That "Early Bird" to LAX was often less than half-full. I can remember sitting upstairs for the whole flight in solitary splendor! More Royal Service!

And then the L-10's. What a great airplane. Every model DL had. I used to go out of my way to get on one right up to the end. Last flight on a DL L-10 MCO-ATL. Next day same flight was last revenue service. Sad. What a cool rumble/moan when those RR's fired up.

Today,when I look across the field, it is not as strange to see no 72's as it is to see no L-10's.

Glad I have so many memories.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

freedom747

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:31 am

Big version: Width: 719 Height: 511 File size: 70kb
Look, no overheads
Anybody remember the awesome sound of the chime whenever the fasten seatbelt sign came on? Delta Air Lines and the TriStar......ahhh yes.

YULspotter

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:46 am

My very first time on an airplane was also Delta L-1011 Tri-Star.

I was 12 years old and heading off to Florida & Disneyland for the first time.

Our flight originated in YUL and went direct to MIA.
We then took off again for an 8 minute flight FLL.
We departed MIA, made one big 180 degree turn over the beach and landed at FLL.

People have talked about the good old days of commercial aviation ... if anyone today suggested an 8 minute flight, let alone with a widebody, they'd probably think you had lost your marbles.

The L-1011 will always have a special place in my heart because it was probably the beginning of my love for aviation. Sure miss those Tri-Stars. Well at least there are a lot of MD-11s still around (though none flying with Delta).

YULspotter

peachair

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:46 am

I remember my very first flight on Delta was before the merger with Western (1986) I think. Being from Calif, I departed LAX on board DL066 LAX-ATL on an L-1011 (red-eye), sat in first class. I remeber after landing in ATL, I thought... look at how much concrete on the ramp between the concourses!! At LAX we only had half the room, and it was asphalt (crappy for photography). Dual push backs from both concourses into the same alleyway - this was WAY different than LAX. My connecting flight was to MIA on the first flight of the day. It was onboard ship 615 (B757) and at the time it was the younest 757 in the fleet having been delivered just the month before. Sat in first class again and got a full breakfast! Those were wonderful times.

In the last 22 years I have flown at least 1000 legs on Delta, in that time I have had only two experiences where I felt like the airplane was out of control.

1. DL L-1011, LAX-MCO during Christmas time, crossing over Texas - we flew into clear air turbulence at FL350. Sitting in the last row of coach by the window, I had my 5 year old son with me (of course he was crying - scared). The aircraft was experiencing extreme up and down drafts (I could hear the control cables hitting the top of the fuselage - it sounded like high tension wires hitting a light pole) I could see the inboard aileron in full deflection in both directions while being controlled by the autopilot, you can tell when the flight crew disengaged the autopilot when the aircraft started porpoising. It lasted about 10 minutes and stopped.

2. The second was on an MD-90 SNA-SLC, this was absolutley the worse. We were on our initial descent into SLC when that eerie fist bump hits and then is smooth for a few seconds. Kind of like the Fedex Airbus scene on "Castaway". I had a gut feeling that all hell was going to break loose and it did. My infant son was asleep, my wife was very nervous, and all of a sundden - abruptly - the aircraft swung like a pendulum from right to left, as if the wind had pushed against the starboard side of the aircraft at 300MPH or more. I remember looking straight down the wing at the ground, filling the entire window. The wings were at a 90 degree angle to the ground, it rocked us for about 1 minute which seemeed like a life time. We decended below the first layer and then around FL100 we got hit with moderate to severe turbulence again, all the way down to about 3000ft where we penetrated the cloud deck and things smoothed out. My wife did not want to make the connecting fliht to ATL knowing what we might have to deal with again.

My 2 cents

Peachair

EWRandMDW

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:51 am

My first flight on Delta was about 1972 on a CV880 to Hartford. I recall the seating was 2+3 and it was cold and rainy when we landed. There was no jetway at the terminal and CSAs greeted passengers at the bottom of the stairs with big Delta umbrellas. My next flight on DL was in 1975 or 6 from BGR to EWR via BOS. The first leg was in a 72S and BOS-EWR was a D8S with snack service on both legs. It was about 15 more years before I flew Delta again.

YULYMX

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:23 am

Quoting YULspotter (Reply 35):
Our flight originated in YUL and went direct to MIA.
We then took off again for an 8 minute flight FLL.
We departed MIA, made one big 180 degree turn over the beach and landed at FLL.

did that a few times but a little more than 8 minutes...12-15 but pretty short

dj1986

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:28 am

I remember back in the 90's we always flew from FRA to ATL on LH and would continue from FRA to MIA on DL. The TriStar was a very nice airplane and I remember the First Class seats to be wider if you compare them to the FC seats today but when I remember them correctly I don't think they had a legrest.
US Airways I miss you!

DeltaRules

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:24 pm

Quoting Freedom747 (Reply 31):
Anybody remember the awesome sounding of the chimes? Ahhhh yes. The TriStar. What about the blinking of the fasten seat belt sign....how awesome was that.

I remember the blinking, but don't remember the call button sound.

DeltaRules
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

A999

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:18 am

AAL0616:
The L-100-10 freighters(fleet no. 301-303, regn. N9268R, N9258R, N9259R) were delivered aug.-oct. 1966 to replace their Curtiss C-46 fleet of 4 aircraft. They were used in scheduled all-freight service and for ferrying engines and spare parts throughout the DL system. After just two years they were returned to Lockheed for an 8,3 feet fuselage stretch and were re-designated L-100-20 before returned to service. However, when wide-bodies started to arrive with their enormous belly cargo capacity the Herculeses became obsolete and were disposed of by sept. 73.

My first personal experience with Delta is way back in 1977 on a DC-9-14 from MEI-ATL connecting to a L1011 to EWR, both first class. The second DL trip was in 1992 flying FBU(OSL)-JKF-SFO on 310s, SFO-LAX on a 732, LAX-OGG on a L1011, OGG-HNL on a second L1011, HNL-LAX on a third L1011 and finally LAX-JFK-FBU on another pair of 310s. Very nice trip!

uclax

Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:16 am

DL will always have a special place in my heart.

Til I was 4, I lived in JAN, and whenever at the airport, DL staff made sure I got one of the plastic TriStars!

Lived near MSY from 5-16, and as a young spotter, DL staff were always very eager to invite me onboard ships on the ground and on the ramp for photos.

Worked for DL during college at UCLA at LAX (hence my username) 90-91!

Of course, inflight and ground service always excellent, staff professional and courteous. My 1st DL flight was 762 MSY-DFW. We rotated off 19 before we reached the north end of concourse B and had one of my steepest climbs ever. It was my younger brother's 1st flight and quite an experience.

I'm glad they're adding more service back at LAX as now that I'm married and have kids, getting home fast is my top priority.

Just returned from LAX-JFK-IST roundtrip. Service was excllent, f/a's very cheerful and pleasant. One was almost always on his or her feet the entire time offering water!

I wish all the people of DL my best wishes!

[Edited 2006-08-17 22:23:06]

[Edited 2006-08-17 22:43:35]
...those who wait for the Lord�s help...rise up as if they had eagles� wings Isaiah 40:31

OzarkD9S

Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:17 am

I don't recall the exact year but I was fortunate enough to fly a DL 747 from ORD to MIA. We were non-revving to PBI but the flight was full so we flew to MIA and rented a car. The load was relatively light and the FA's knew we were "industry" so they let me go up to the lounge for most of the flight. I was a kid at the time and was really excited about it as it was my first 747 and it was purely by accident!
Coast to Coast and Border to Border, Ozark Flies YOUR Way!

johnclipper

Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:25 am

I've been on the following Delta aircraft and the older aircraft definately have a place in my heart:

B727-200
B737-200
B737-300
B737-800
B757-200
B767-200
B767-300
L-1011-1
MD-88
MD-90

DL to ANC, SEA, SFO, LAX, SLC, SAN, ATL, DAB, MIA, TPA, MCO, DAY, CMH, CVG, LIT, DFW, ORD...
"Flown every aircraft since the Wright Flyer" (guys, if you take this literally, then you need to get a life...)

L1011

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:19 am

I really liked those colorful interiors that Delta and most other airlines used to have. They made the airplane seem more cheerful and inviting. The first time I saw Delta's dark blue current interior was on a 757, which I thought must have been leased from another airline and they just hadn't changed the seats yet. I also noticed on that plane one seat had a pink seat bottom cushion. They must have needed to replace a seat cushion and didn't have any in the dark blue, so they got one from a 727.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

deltagator

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:54 pm

One trip I always remember was originally supposed to be MKE-CVG-ATL but it was delayed for a long time due to storms. I ended up getting off the plane and drove a rental car to ORD to catch a nonstop ORD-ATL flight. Well storms affected that one as well and we didn't take off until 3AM.

Though they didn't have to do it they kept the Crown Room there open until we started boarding around 2:30AM. To top it off and make it all good in the end we flew an L-1011 home. I left for vacation later that day (hence the reason why I just had to get home) and took a 777 to MCO to visit family and friends. Two of the great DL birds.

Quoting Freedom747 (Reply 34):
Anybody remember the awesome sound of the chime whenever the fasten seatbelt sign came on? Delta Air Lines and the TriStar......ahhh yes.

Heck yeah! That picture you posted was great. That galley/closet section had those electric lifters so they could put a bunch of garment bags in there, hoist them up, and then add in some more.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

STT757

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:05 pm

I remember flyin EWR-MCO on a DL L1011 and during engine start up the rear section of the aircraft where we were sitting was full of a strong kerosene smell, the smell was almost overwhelming and I thought I was going to pass out. Once we started taxing it cleared up and was a pleasant flight.

I have flown on Eastern and Pan Am L1011s and that was the only time I ever experienced that type of "smoky" start up.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

N501US

Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:33 am

Mid 1970s flying between PHL and TPA in coach filet mignon and champagne served for dinner. (DL and EA had a pretty good battle on this route and I was always happier to be on DL). I think I even wore a sport coat while travelling back then!
Fools and thieves are well disguised in the temple and the marketplace.....

S5FA170

Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:46 am

I grew up on Delta Air Lines. My father has worked there for over 25 years, and I started non-reving on them at 6 weeks old!

My fondest memories of Delta will always be...

1) The long, slow, lazy climbouts from Philadelphia on a hot summer day in a full Boeing 727-200. I really miss those birds!

2) A family friend of ours was a flight attendant for DL and almost always worked Boeing 767-200 trips. Back when DL flew the B-767 from ATL-PHL, my sister and I would often be on one of her flights. If we didn't get a first class seat, she would walk back into coach with the little chocolates they had in first class and drop them on our tray tables as she walked by  

Two other events I will always remember that involved traveling on Delta Air Lines...

1) Upon landing in Atlanta from Philadelphia in the early 90's, seeing scores of Eastern Airlines jets parked around the airport with their engines covered up, signaling the end of Eastern  Sad

2) Also upon landing in Atlanta, seeing the many Valujet DC-9s parked around Atlanta upon their grounding by the FAA in 1996.

-Tony

[Edited 2006-08-18 19:01:42]
Prepare doors for departure and cross-check.