airevents

Tel Aviv Layover -how Does Your Airline Handle It?

Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:05 am

Hello,

I (flight attendant with LH) just got back from a flight to Tel Aviv today, which now does not have a crew layover due to the conflict with Hizbollah. Usually, the crew operating the nightly flight would get a 24 hour stop, which has now been stopped until further notice. I was wondering how your airlines handle it? I heard from Iberia that they fly Madrid-Athens, do a layover there and then continue Athens-Tel Aviv-Madrid. Would be interesting to hear.

Thanks and good night!
www.airevents.com

jwenting

RE: Tel Aviv Layover -how Does Your Airline Handle It?

Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:20 am

I don't own an airline...

AFAIK most airlines don't do layovers in the ME. They instead fly crew to for example Cyprus and lay over there, or schedule flights to return home before their crews need mandatory rest.
I wish I were flying

LAXintl

Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:27 am

At least one major North American airline continues its TLV crew layovers uninterrupted. Actually the destination and its accommodations some of the more popular amongst crews which enjoy a 5 star hotel next to the beach.

The last time I am aware of any layover changes occurred were a couple years back when Israel was experiencing near daily suicide bombings. Otherwise all is ok.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

KWI

Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:55 am

Jwentig,
BA, LH, KL, and up until they ended their services here (Kuwait), AF, all have overnight layovers in Kuwait. The days of having the crew overnight in Cyprus for flights to the Middle East was mainly during the 2003 war in Iraq.

KWI

monkeyboi

Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:59 am

At BA we are continuing to do the normal TLV layover - 24 hours in TLV on both the daylight and night flights.

In the past when problems have flared up in the mid-east we have flown to TLV/saudi etc via LCA. Flt LHR/LCA - layover. LCA-TLV-LCA - layover. LCA - LHR. For whatever reason BA kept us in TLV this time though.

N1120A

Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:01 am

Quoting KWI (Reply 3):
during the 2003 war in Iraq.

2003 war in Iraq?  rotfl  rotfl 
Too bad it still hasn't ended
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

aircanada014

Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:28 am

Air Canada crew does layover in Tel Aviv like several days.

behramjee

Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:40 am

All airlines do layovers in DOH-KWI-AUH-DXB-THR/IKA-MCT-AMM if it is warranted...some EU carriers though still dont do layovers in JED and RUH though!

EWRCabincrew

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:24 am

We have two daily trips to TLV with layovers. One being 24 hours and the other being 31 hours.

Great hotel, located across from the beach. Excellent location for all. Even with the fact of the situation in the north, it is still a desired trip. Very rarely a reserve who has been called out on any of the flights and goes somewhat senior.

Still my favorite destination, by far.
You can't cure stupid

klmcedric

Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:37 am

KLM sends it's crew to LCA for the lay-over until further notice.

PlaneHunter

Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:57 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 1):
AFAIK most airlines don't do layovers in the ME. They instead fly crew to for example Cyprus and lay over there, or schedule flights to return home before their crews need mandatory rest.

What do you mean with "Middle East" and which airlines are you talking about?

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

FlySSC

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:20 am

AF crew don't stay anymore overnight in TLV.
The evening flight is routed CDG-PFO-TLV-CDG with a crew change in Paphos.

AFAIK most airlines don't do layovers in the ME

scratchchin 

AF Crews have layover in DAM, AMM, CAI, RUH, DXB, THR, JED (soon) and of course BEY (to restart soon).

LXLucien

RE: Tel Aviv Layover -how Does Your Airline Handle

Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:20 am

Hi

LX re-scheduled her rotation to a turnaround in the morning hours instead of a crew Layover for like 24h or so.

AFAIK most airlines don't do layovers in the ME.

Of course they do...
the most european airlines do it...if you know one, please tell it to me  Smile
Quote "Syriana": "Beirut, it's like Paris in the Mid-East"

FLYACYYZ

Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:39 am

During the current conflict/crisis, I believe as per advice from Corporate Security, there were a few occasions where the crew layed over in a destination other than TelAviv.

For obvious political reasons, I'm surprised that CO remained in TLV throughout. Don't know about DL.
Above and Beyond

rjpieces

Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:40 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 11):
AF Crews have layover in DAM, AMM, CAI, RUH, DXB, THR, JED (soon) and of course BEY (to restart soon).

But not TLV???????
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

aal0616

Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:57 am

So, Air France aircrew can layover anywhere in the region except TLV, and all these places are considered safe for them and not Israel. Interesting.

Appeasement has its rewards.

EWRCabincrew

Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:07 am

Quoting FLYACYYZ (Reply 13):
For obvious political reasons, I'm surprised that CO remained in TLV throughout. Don't know about DL.

CO will always layover in TLV. We have always flown, crisis or not, to TLV (since we started service there) and will continue to do so. Too much revenue not to fly there. $$$ talks.

Even with all the crap going on, crews still love it. Crews still bid it. Crews still go out and enjoy themselves.

I, for one, do.
You can't cure stupid

rjpieces

Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:15 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 16):
Even with all the crap going on, crews still love it. Crews still bid it. Crews still go out and enjoy themselves

Are the flights still going out full despite the events in Lebanon in the past month?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

EWRCabincrew

Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:28 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 17):
Are the flights still going out full despite the events in Lebanon in the past month?

at least 3/4s full
You can't cure stupid

CXA330300

Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:42 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 17):

My friend flew on CO84 two days ago and said it was near 100% full.

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 8):

Great hotel, located across from the beach.

And what hotel does it happen to be?

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 11):

Quoting AAL0616 (Reply 15):
So, Air France aircrew can layover anywhere in the region except TLV, and all these places are considered safe for them and not Israel. Interesting.

Historical politics. Lets just say that France and Israel didn't get on well after 1967. And the Cherbourg incident.
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

EWRCabincrew

Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:50 am

Quoting CXA330300 (Reply 19):

Edited to read: a well known hotel with a reputation for being the best in TLV. Excellent location. Close to everything.

[Edited 2006-08-19 04:09:55]
You can't cure stupid

MCOflyer

Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:55 am

EWRCabincrew,

How senior are you? How senior do you have to be to get that trip?

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

worldtraveler

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:00 am

I wouldn't post crew hotel names on forums like this and I'm pretty sure the crews themselves would prefer you not. While it probably isn't too hard to figure out, any unnecessary information can be used in the wrong way.

ltbewr

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:08 am

Quoting CXA330300 (Reply 19):

I would suggest that information as to specific hotels, details as to general location, transfer arrangements and other related info as to any flight crews anywhere (including Israel) should not be posted here as it may put crews at risk of terrorists or criminals.

EWRCabincrew

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:08 am

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 22):
I wouldn't post crew hotel names on forums like this and I'm pretty sure the crews themselves would prefer you not. While it probably isn't too hard to figure out, any unnecessary information can be used in the wrong way.

I thought about that, but it is hard to keep it anonymous when you see a bus of crew outside the hotel (in any city, domestic or international). Also, in TLV, it is short of common knowledge where crews overnight.

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 21):
How senior are you? How senior do you have to be to get that trip?

I have 20 years and am just squeeking by at my seniority as an ISM to hold TLV. As a flight attendant, I can definitely fly to TLV, no problem. You are looking at 18-20 years minimum seniority to fly it. It is a three or four day trip worth about 22-23 hours of flight pay.
You can't cure stupid

MCOflyer

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:15 am

Cool, I'm glad that your able to hold TLV. How long does DL lay over?

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

EWRCabincrew

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:18 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 25):
Cool, I'm glad that your able to hold TLV. How long does DL lay over?

Probably the same as our 4 day. 29-31 hours or so.
You can't cure stupid

ETStar

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:49 am

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 22):

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 23):
I would suggest that information as to specific hotels, details as to general location, transfer arrangements and other related info as to any flight crews anywhere (including Israel) should not be posted here as it may put crews at risk of terrorists or criminals.

Ahhahahahah do you think that, if one were to commit a terrorist act that would possibly end his/her life (a la suicide bombers), he/she would get his/her facts about crew layover hotels on a.net? I cannot believe you both posted with a straight face! Until the day that aircrew strip to normal clothes and do not get herded to a hotel in a marked van so as to conceal their identity, all it takes is following them with a latte in hand!

And what value is there from attacking the very flight crew that we all know suffer through their work through payments that amount to peanuts? What/who would it affect should a flightcrew be attacked, they are simple common folk after all. It is not like they are diplomats or official representatives of their respective countries, they are simply serving and resting!

UAFAN17

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:01 pm

Quoting ETStar (Reply 27):
And what value is there from attacking the very flight crew that we all know suffer through their work through payments that amount to peanuts? What/who would it affect should a flightcrew be attacked, they are simple common folk after all. It is not like they are diplomats or official representatives of their respective countries, they are simply serving and resting!

For the same reason current airline uniforms are destroyed in between the period of distribution of new ones.

VHXLR8

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:13 pm

I cannot believe you both posted with a straight face! Until the day that aircrew strip to normal clothes and do not get herded to a hotel in a marked van so as to conceal their identity, all it takes is following them with a latte in hand!

Here we go again!
Yes, if one REALLY wanted to know where crew stay, they could find out. But it comes down to the simple fact that there is no NEED for the public to know this information; hence why publicise it?
Layover's are a crewmember's private time; and is it too much to ask that passengers (who they may have just dealt with for 10+hours) don't know everything about them?

And yes, before you make a mockery of the security argument; there have been many an incident involving crew being stalked, attacked, and worse by those who intend harm against crew.

Icaro

Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:27 pm

Quoting Airevents (Thread starter):
I heard from Iberia that they fly Madrid-Athens, do a layover there and then continue Athens-Tel Aviv-Madrid.

We are back to normal since friday. We fly again MAD-TLV 24hours and TLV-MAD.

luv2fly

Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:05 pm

And this would matter to terrorist how and why?
You can cut the irony with a knife

rjpieces

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:16 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 18):
at least 3/4s full

Glad to know it is still profitable for CO...Hopefully their pre-war levels/profits will return (if they have not already)...

ETStar

Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:37 am

Quoting UAFAN17 (Reply 28):
For the same reason current airline uniforms are destroyed in between the period of distribution of new ones.

Ever thought about keeping a certain company image, and not being misidentified? While this is not the only reason, it is high time that we stopped associating everything from uniforms to taking a dump to terrorism.

Flying Belgian

Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:43 pm

No night stop in TLV for SN's crew.

It's a BRU-TLV-BRU, with TLV-BRU departing just before tha Ben Gurion's "curfew".

I did a night-stop in TLV during Sabena times, a nice hotel accross TLV's main beach. It was pretty cool !!

FB.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

4xRuv

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:02 pm

Quoting Monkeyboi (Reply 4):
In the past when problems have flared up in the mid-east we have flown to TLV/saudi etc via LCA. Flt LHR/LCA - layover. LCA-TLV-LCA - layover. LCA - LHR. For whatever reason BA kept us in TLV this time though.

Actually it used to be LHR-LCA, and then LCA-TLV-LHR, no second layover in LCA... I've flown with BA several times with this "arrangement"

CRJ900

Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:01 am

Why do European crews stay 24 hours in TLV when Europe-TLV is 4-5 hours of flying? I though it would be more cost effective to fly a round-trip Europe-TLV-Europe and have it as a 12-14-hour long day assignment without the cost of a hotel for 5-8 crewmembers... or at most a 9-hour overnight stay with crews flying out at 8am next morning...?
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

ETStar

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:57 am

Quoting Flying Belgian (Reply 34):
It's a BRU-TLV-BRU, with TLV-BRU departing just before tha Ben Gurion's "curfew".

What are the curfew hours at TLV? I thought it was 24-hrs ops.

4xRuv

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:24 am

Quoting CRJ900 (Reply 36):
I though it would be more cost effective to fly a round-trip Europe-TLV-Europe and have it as a 12-14-hour long day assignment without the cost of a hotel for 5-8 crewmembers

Actually, that's what LY does on it's european flights. The only exceptions are flight leaving friday late morning and returning Saturday evening due the the SHABATH.

Quoting ETStar (Reply 37):
What are the curfew hours at TLV? I thought it was 24-hrs ops.

2am-5am no takeoffs allowed (landings ok)

rjpieces

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:56 pm

Anybody else think AF's policy here is rather seriously screwed up??????

monkeyboi

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:37 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 39):

Not really. I don't think airlines make their decisions on how to rotate crew thru different cities due to political considerations.

Airline security departments usually audit the security arrangements (for crew hotels, transport etc) in every city an airline flies and will make recommendations based on the audit and possible threat.

blueflyer

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:11 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 16):
CO will always layover in TLV. We have always flown, crisis or not, to TLV

Not being entirely familiar on the smaller details of crew rest, I wanted to know, if we assume that the situation in Israel gets to a point where CO decides a crew layover isn't a safe option anymore, could a crew deadhead on the outbound flight and go active on the return flight, while the outbound flight crew would head back "home" on the same return flight?

In other words, do crew rest rules specify exactly what constitute rest? Does a EWR-TLV flight qualify as rest?

And what value is there from attacking the very flight crew that we all know suffer through their work through payments that amount to peanuts?

Terrorists tend to go for soft targets, or symbolic targets, generally with a potential for multiple casualties with little regard to the financial value of their victims. Personally, I'd think a crew bus would be an easier target than a crew hotel, if only because all your targets are together and generally less protected. Luckily for crews (especially British and US ones), terrorists haven't deemed them worthy enough... yet. I for one know of one carrier that is taking a long hard look at how its crew layovers all over the world are set up (if you think Tel Aviv is the only problem, I've got a few Madrid, London, Khobar and Casablanca for you).
Democracy 2016: 3 million California votes < 100,000 Midwest votes.

ly001

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:46 pm

all flights to tel aviv are back to normal exept klm which ther crew does a layover in larnaca and air france that there crew does a layover in paphos. i am sure that next week those two companies return ther layovers in tel aviv, unles something happens.

4xRuv

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:10 pm

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 41):
Luckily for crews (especially British and US ones), terrorists haven't deemed them worthy enough

I don't think they ever will. Hitting a foreign group doesn't serve any terrorist target, on the contrary, think what would happen if an Islamic terrorist group would hit an AF crew.....

rjpieces

Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:28 pm

Quoting Monkeyboi (Reply 40):
Not really. I don't think airlines make their decisions on how to rotate crew thru different cities due to political considerations.

Airline security departments usually audit the security arrangements (for crew hotels, transport etc) in every city an airline flies and will make recommendations based on the audit and possible threat.

If what the user said above is true--that AF overnights crews in every city in the Middle East but TLV while every other European airline does--then I think that is definitely a political statement.

Quoting Ly001 (Reply 42):
i am sure that next week those two companies return ther layovers in tel aviv, unles something happens.

Well does AF normally overnight crews in TLV or was the above-poster wrong?

PanHAM

Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:51 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 39):

I've seen an AF crew in the Hotel I was straying in May this year. I am not saying which Hotel, but I doubt that anything on PFO is as comfortable.

If they overnight in any other Middle Eastern City, then I'd say, yes, their policy is screwed up.