ticketing processes.

* We also have third-party vendors taking North
America sales calls.

* Realigning staffing at the Chicago, Detroit and
Honolulu centers utilizes excess capacity at these
facilities.

* United continues to look at organization staffing
levels and facilities across the company, while we
work to improve overall service to our customers.

* Going forward, Reservations' call centers of
excellence are focused on revenue maximization and
customer satisfaction.

trekster

RE: United To Close Dulles Res Center

Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:06 am

Every airline is doing that.
BA's BFS office has now closed, last day was today, as was trading at the last 2 BA travel shops in central london.
Where does the time go???

CruzinAltitude

Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:07 am

I used to work at one of United's satellite res offices in Moreno Valley, Ca. I'll tell you this much, I'm glad I didn't transfere to the Dulles office at that time!

Bicoastal

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:37 am

Great. Now more of my calls will be answered by poorly trained Indians with severely lacking English." I wonder how many complaints United gets about its Indian centers?

[Edited 2006-08-19 00:45:14]
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

Cory6188

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:42 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 1):

Not really true. AA, CO, B6, and WN all come to mind as carriers whose reservations agents are all in the United States.

MalpensaSFO

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:51 am

Thankfully United Airlines is not following the trend of closing Res centers in the U.S. and giving the jobs to others overseas. This is a good move for United Airlines and I appluad there effort to keep "Made in America"!
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

LAXintl

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:52 am

Cant really blame United, or for that matter any type of company. There simply is less demand for call service centers no matter where they are located.

While I dont have info on United's call center volume, I know another carrier which has seen its 2005 call volume equal only approximately 40% if its call volume compared to 10 years ago!

The introduction of the internet and automatic voice response systems can handle the many mundane calls for arrival times, or other general questions let alone to make a reservation.

Factor in the relative high cost of maintaining US staff as volumes decline its only natural for facilities to get shut, or get moved overseas to cheaper locations.

Just another trend resultant due to technology advances and globalisation.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Amwest2United

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:55 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 3):
Great. Now more of my calls will be answered by poorly trained Indians with severely lacking English." I wonder how may complaints United gets about India?

Not sure how many the HDQ people get, but the front line agents get 1 out 8 or 9 customers complaining about them. I have had many reservations screwed up. A few Customers thought they were buying a PHL-AKL, but got PHL-OAK. A handfull of SJO's, instead of SJC. I understand why United has chosen to outsource to India, but is feels like they keep sacrificing customer service more and more, but I don't think it really is. I support keeping the airline well and trust the leadership to keep us profitable.

[Edited 2006-08-19 00:57:31]

[Edited 2006-08-19 00:58:11]
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!

bahadir

Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:24 am

Out of college i interviewed with them and got the job. The very first question they asked me was (do you know you can afford to live at $8.xx/hour?). that was a lot of money for me back then (1997) when i was doing night monitoring for $4/hr ...

Good luck to all the ones that will get the pink slip...
Earthbound misfit I

atlaaron

Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:40 am

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 4):
Not really true. AA, CO, B6, and WN all come to mind as carriers whose reservations agents are all in the United States.

Add FL to that list. I have gotten some foreigners who speak little to NO english when I have called both UA and DL, but FL has always been great. (Those are the only three I have ever had to call.)

exFATboy

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:11 am

Now more of my calls will be answered by poorly trained Indians with severely lacking English." I wonder how many complaints United gets about its Indian centers?

They just got one from me last week...a simple seat reservation change took 20 minutes.

Of course, if UA didn't have such a crap website design, I could have done it myself. UA's website only allows you to choose seats before clicking the final "purchase" button or on check-in, but at no point in-between.

MalpensaSFO

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:24 am

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 10):
Of course, if UA didn't have such a crap website design, I could have done it myself. UA's website only allows you to choose seats before clicking the final "purchase" button or on check-in, but at no point in-between

One of the worst thing about UAL.com is the fact that it does not show the seat map like AA.com. It is so bothersome to look through flight after flight to find the seats you want available. Someday UAL.com will be user friendly. Lets be happy UAL is still around in the meantime.
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

Jerseyguy

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:31 am

Worst thing is when I call a company and when they transfer me I get the international ring and just know I'm going to get some guy from India.

And yes B6 does use only US agents, they operate out of their home in the Salt Lake City metro area.
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

MalpensaSFO

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:11 pm

Quoting JerseyGuy (Reply 12):
And yes B6 does use only US agents, they operate out of their home in the Salt Lake City metro area

Is it true that JetBlue only hires Mormons in the Salt Lake City area for this. I have heard they hire only Mormons for the Salt Lake City positions from both Jet Blue Flight Attendants and Delta Airlines Flight Attendants.
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:38 pm

"Going forward, Reservations' call centers of
excellence are focused on revenue maximization and
customer satisfaction."

Excellence my ass if you get one of those stinking India agents. I am Premier on UA. Even the Premier res line goes to John in India. You complain to UA and they really don't care. They give you a total BS response.

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 10):
They just got one from me last week...a simple seat reservation change took 20 minutes

It took me 15min to change my seat from 34AB to 13AB in EP. They kept giving me twenti-too E as in Ed. Then sevinteen D as in Dog. I would use the aviation alphabet which would really confuse them. How hard is a seat change. I refuse to actually buy a ticket talking to one of these people.
I can keep going on and on about the problems one Premier flyer has had in the past year talking to these idiots. If they don't know what they are doing or can't understand me they either hang up on me, transfer me to another India agent which I have to start all over, or they finally transfer me to the US.
I know of many Premier and Medallian flyers who got so pissed off with this that they now fly AA.

The worst part is when your flight is cancelled. You have to talk to these idiots when you are trying to go from SAN to ORD and instead they are sending you from SNA to OMF. I know from experience. Yet, UA just doesn't care. I love flying UA too because of EP and Channel 9.

I guess the only thing you can do is to send letters of complaint which you will get a BS response too.

Just put everything online so you don't even have to pick up the phone.

Jerseyguy

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:41 pm

RE: B6 Res Agents

The only other thing I've heard about this is that even though you work from home you must live in the Salt Lake City Metro. Maybe one of the many Jetblue crewmembers can confirm that.

[Edited 2006-08-19 05:43:40]
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

deltairlines

Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:38 pm

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 13):
Quoting JerseyGuy (Reply 12):
And yes B6 does use only US agents, they operate out of their home in the Salt Lake City metro area

Is it true that JetBlue only hires Mormons in the Salt Lake City area for this. I have heard they hire only Mormons for the Salt Lake City positions from both Jet Blue Flight Attendants and Delta Airlines Flight Attendants.

I doubt that they limit it to Mormons only...I'm pretty sure that it would be breaking some equal-opportunity law where employers can't hire/fire/etc. based on religion/sexual preference/race/etc.

LAXintl

Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:42 pm

Quoting 1011 (Reply 14):
Just put everything online so you don't even have to pick up the phone

United's going to be launching a new ual.com this fall so hopefully most of your wish will come thru.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

uadc8contrail

Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:59 pm

Great. Now more of my calls will be answered by poorly trained Indians with severely lacking English." I wonder how many complaints United gets about its Indian centers?

Bicostal,
we have to send a "meter" everytime we get someone that had their res done improperly...worse cases ive seen was a non english speaking passenger wanting to go to durango mexico and bought a ticket to durango colorado....my aeropuerto spanish corrected the fubar but i feel the "meter" was filed in the who gives a s#$t file...along with the others that have been sent....did get questioned why we "fimed" the guy to AA and some other carrier to DGO and my reply was WE DONT fly to durango mexico and it was our fault....if i had a dime for everytime i had someone tell me that "sally,john or mike" in broken english said that it was a $25 to change the res i would be a millionaire...when in reality it is $25 for the excess part
bus driver.......move that bus:)

masseybrown

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:18 pm

While call volume is no doubt shrinking, I'd bet UA finds Dulles the location where it is hardest to hire and retain qualified people. Thus, Dulles is the one they close.

blueflyer

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:46 pm

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 16):
I doubt that they limit it to Mormons only

Quoting JerseyGuy (Reply 15):
The only other thing I've heard about this is that even though you work from home you must live in the Salt Lake City Metro.

JetBlue decided to hire its reservation agents from the Salt Lake City area because its research shows that it has one of the highest concentration of potential applicants (well-educated stay-at-home moms). That most of them happen to be mormom is a side issue. Anything else and JetBlue would be begging for a massive employment discrimination lawsuit.

The reason you must live in/around Salt Lake City even though the technology could let you live in many other places, is that you have to attend a "refresher" once a month in downtown Salt Lake to keep you up to date on the latest (and greatest?) about your employer.
Democracy 2016: 3 million California votes < 100,000 Midwest votes.

uadc8contrail

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:47 pm

how many wanna bet that dtwrr is closed in place of the "flagship" store on higgins road!!!!!!
bus driver.......move that bus:)

NWrr

Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:56 pm

NW (currently) has all of its Res Centers in the US as well: MSP, HIB, SEA, TPA, and BWI. Actually, part of our last contract agreement with the company, if I recall and understood it correctly, required NW to not permit the outsourcing of 800 line calls overseas. Some non-phone types of work are going to go to SIN, but all calls are still answered by US agents. (As for what happens after the 25th, that's a WHOLE different topic!  stirthepot  )
Welcome to the back of the boat...the non-rev section

chrisnh

Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:34 pm

Great. Now more of my calls will be answered by poorly trained Indians with severely lacking English.

Yes, but the good news is that anyone you speak to will be named 'David.'

rsmith6621a

Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:23 am

Mean while.......Mr Tilton and all the other EXECS are able to live a higher style of life by doing this.....Once again I dont quite comprehend how this type of BIZ practice is going to be of benifit to society....how does this achieve higher wages for the ramp/gate workers.ect in the long run..you know the ones who make the company what it is.....honestly UAL doesnt want career people anymore..Anyone have an explanation.

I feel I have a right to vent I was one of the 465 agents in SEARR last year that had their job OUTSOURCED to INDIA....The UAL press statement make it all seem real nice at that everyone left will benefit...the only one who benifits are Tiltons cronies....BTW it is more than 400 agents it is more like 850.

respectfully yours.
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

GMUAirbusA320

Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:44 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 13):

I've heard that to get a job in B6's SLC department, you have to bring your secret Mormon decoder ring. Then, you have to get initiated in a secret ceremony to get your headset and computer for FlightSpeed.

Are you kidding me man? I used to work for B6 and worked with a lot of Res. Agents from SLC, yes, a lot of them were mormon. But, as a guy whose family moved from IL to SLC during the great Wagon Drives, that place is FULL of Mormons. I'd have to say that it's probably statistics dude. It's not suprising to see a lot of minorities working the counters at JFK, due to the fact NYC is composed of people from all over the world.

I'd rethink that statement man. Doesn't sound very smart, let alone proposterous! ROTFLMAO!  crackup 

Cheers,
GMUAirbusA320

B6WNQX

Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:56 am

If I am not mistaken, WN has all their reservation agents in the US. And in fact when you call, you don't get a poke-a-number system. The system politely informs the caller about the features at southwest.com and then a real, live, friendly person answers your call. Most of the time you don't even get put on hold while waiting for the next rep (at least in all my experiences). Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on the US part.

flyb

Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:03 am

I use www.unitedgobusiness.com through orbitz. I am sure that they are Canadian, at least they have similar accents to mine when I call...anyone know?

pnqiad

Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:17 am

Quoting Amwest2United (Reply 7):
Not sure how many the HDQ people get, but the front line agents get 1 out 8 or 9 customers complaining about them. I have had many reservations screwed up. A few Customers thought they were buying a PHL-AKL, but got PHL-OAK. A handfull of SJO's, instead of SJC. I understand why United has chosen to outsource to India, but is feels like they keep sacrificing customer service more and more, but I don't think it really is. I support keeping the airline well and trust the leadership to keep us profitable.

I hate to burst your bubble, but if your point is the US based employees have a better knowledge of geography, you can look at the following link:
Survey: Young people lack geography skills

A quote from the article:
"Other findings from the survey:

Thirty-four percent of the young Americans knew that the island used on last season's "Survivor" show was located in the South Pacific, but only 30% could locate the state of New Jersey on a map. The "Survivor" show's location was the Marquesas Islands in the eastern South Pacific.
When asked to find 10 specific states on a map of the United States, only California and Texas could be located by a large majority of those surveyed. Both states were correctly located by 89% of the participants. Only 51% could find New York, the nation's third most populous state.
"

I am not condoning UA hiring people who can not speak English well, but frankly speaking, I have come across a number of Americans who speak incorrect English. And yes "I don't know nothing" instead of "I don't know anything" is not correct use of English.

It is funny how most Americans will say they are for free trade if asked a stand alone question. But when any companies send jobs overseas from the US - suddenly it is not quite acceptable. If people are willing to pay higher fares, I am sure UA would not mind leaving those jobs in the US. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 6):
Cant really blame United, or for that matter any type of company. There simply is less demand for call service centers no matter where they are located.

Well said. And frankly, that is the reality of airline business today....

commavia

Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:57 am

American still has domestic reservations offices in Fort Worth, TX; Tucson, AZ; Cary, NC; Hartford, CT; Cincinnati, OH; and Honolulu, HI. However, they are exploring opportunities to shift some of their call-center volume to a home-based reservations agent platform.

Avatordon

Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:09 am

I seem to recall back in the 80s, right after I transferred from NYCRR, that a simialr press release was issued announcing the closure of ATLRR and NYCRR, consolidating them into IADRR. We had commuters that lived in "crash pads" that had known each other for years and came back to NYC - and elsewhere - on their days off. What a twisted type of irony.

If anyone subscribes to planebusiness banter, they have given Glenn Tilton an award - for those of you that don't, this award is one that they show as a sample of some of their business commentary. As it is free to access, to my knowledge, it is not copyrighted - so, please share this with the folks "Down in Dulles".

http://www.planebusiness.com/bestofthebanter/2006/04/13/bestof.shtml

Cory6188

Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:31 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 29):
American still has domestic reservations offices in Fort Worth, TX; Tucson, AZ; Cary, NC; Hartford, CT; Cincinnati, OH; and Honolulu, HI. However, they are exploring opportunities to shift some of their call-center volume to a home-based reservations agent platform.

Similarly, CO has centers in Houston, Salt Lake City, and Tampa. Interestingly, I've always found the SLC agents to be head and shoulders above the agents at the other two centers. Any time I've had a really fantastic agent that was able to solve a complex issue, he or she was almost always from the SLC center.

atrude777

Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:37 am

Quoting B6WNQX (Reply 26):
If I am not mistaken, WN has all their reservation agents in the US. And in fact when you call, you don't get a poke-a-number system. The system politely informs the caller about the features at southwest.com and then a real, live, friendly person answers your call. Most of the time you don't even get put on hold while waiting for the next rep (at least in all my experiences). Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on the US part.

Thats exactly right, My calls have been answered instantly everytime I have called Southwest.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:23 am

Quoting PNQIAD (Reply 28):
I hate to burst your bubble, but if your point is the US based employees have a better knowledge of geography, you can look at the following link:
Survey: Young people lack geography skills

It was a nightmare when I was trying to use my Delta miles for a codeshare Alaska Airlines flight. I sure didn't have Mary from SLC, I can tell you that. They (foreign based agents) can't do anything but the basic search or request which takes triple the time. I know from experience. Every India based agent that I got on DL had no idea where or what JNU or Juneau, Alaska was. What Alaska Airlines was or that DL codeshared with AS. I had to explain everything. Everytime I asked to be sent to a US based agent I got, "No sir I help you." When I did get a US based agent my reservation was done in under 5 min. Even doing a codeshare res.

When my OMA-CVG flight was cancelled last year I tried to rebook through ATL on a earlier flight that they gave me. The India based agent just kept reading my rebooked flight over and over. I just wanted to change to a better flight since my cancelled flight was a mechanical. Then they wanted to charge me a $100 change fee for a flight they cancelled. Once I got a US based agent I was able to change my flight with no problem. Anyone else have similar problems talking to the foreign based agents or do I just have bad luck.

I am Premier on UA now but when I was Gold Medallian on DL I do recall taking a survey. It asked would you mind paying a small fee to book using a US based agent. I guess they took the small fee part and didn't pay attention to the US based agent part.

UAPremierGuy

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:31 am

Quoting Rsmith6621a (Reply 24):
Mean while.......Mr Tilton and all the other EXECS are able to live a higher style of life by doing this.....Once again I dont quite comprehend how this type of BIZ practice is going to be of benifit to society....how does this achieve higher wages for the ramp/gate workers.ect in the long run..you know the ones who make the company what it is.....honestly UAL doesnt want career people anymore..Anyone have an explanation.

I feel I have a right to vent I was one of the 465 agents in SEARR last year that had their job OUTSOURCED to INDIA....

You didn't perhaps know a "Lori" that worked there, did you? She is a good friend of my mother's, and I know that she lost her job as well due to this God-awful outsourcing. PLEASE, Bring the call centers back to the U.S...even if it costs me an extra $5/per call...it's worth it!
It's Time To Fly!

COERJ145

Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:40 am

Quoting UAPremierGuy (Reply 34):
You didn't perhaps know a "Lori" that worked there, did you? She is a good friend of my mother's, and I know that she lost her job as well due to this God-awful outsourcing. PLEASE, Bring the call centers back to the U.S...even if it costs me an extra $5/per call...it's worth it!

Agreed. I'm tired of having a "paul" in an indian accent. This should go for all companies. It once took me 15 minutes to assign a seat with a US codeshare(under a UA reservation). NW agents are much better. In my opinion, the DL res agents based in china are the hardest to understand.

EA CO AS

Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:23 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 1):

Alaska Airlines can be added to that list as well - our res centers are located in Seattle, Phoenix and Boise - and believe it or not, Phoenix is far and away the largest.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Amwest2United

Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:18 am

but if your point is the US based employees have a better knowledge of geography, you can look at the following link:

Not my point at all. My point is communication, its hard to understand each other and through that people end up on the wrong flight.

I was told of a situation today with the India based Res. Center.
An unaccompanied minor was booked non-stop PHL-BHM on a UA codeshare (US) flight. When the father called to reconfirm this a few days ago, the agent said the UM was not allowed on the last flight of the night, so the agent rebooked them on the LAST CONNECTION across O'Hare of the night. When the SUpv called them, They family was informed they had to take the non-stop flight and the father started laughing and expalined the situation. UA's policy is no connections to the last flight of the night, unless there is only 1 flight for that city.
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!

pnqiad

Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:27 am

Quoting Amwest2United (Reply 37):

Isn't proper training UA's or for that matter any client's responsibility when outsourcing a job funciton and this simply could happen anywhere (even US) if the CS agents are not trained properly?

The777Man

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:54 pm

I'm glad I transferred to IADCS in July...I don't want to move again.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

ScottB

Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:32 am

Thirty-four percent of the young Americans knew that the island used on last season's "Survivor" show was located in the South Pacific, but only 30% could locate the state of New Jersey on a map. The "Survivor" show's location was the Marquesas Islands in the eastern South Pacific.
When asked to find 10 specific states on a map of the United States, only California and Texas could be located by a large majority of those surveyed. Both states were correctly located by 89% of the participants. Only 51% could find New York, the nation's third most populous state.

That's great and all, but what percentage of Indians can locate New Jersey and New York on a map? After all, if they're doing a job that requires some significant knowledge of U.S. geography (and less so Mexico, Canada, Latin America, Europe, etc.), one would hope they know the difference between PDX and PWM; or CMH, CSG, and GTR; or MHT and MAN; or BHM and BHX; or SJC and SJO; or SGF and SPI; or SAN and SCL; or DFW/DAL and IAD; etc.

I am not condoning UA hiring people who can not speak English well, but frankly speaking, I have come across a number of Americans who speak incorrect English. And yes "I don't know nothing" instead of "I don't know anything" is not correct use of English.

But...in general, native English speakers in the United States will have a better understanding of the meaning of another American English speaker saying "I don't know nothing" than they will of an Indian person with a very heavy accent even if he or she speaks with perfect grammar. English spoken in heavy, unfamiliar accents is often nearly impossible to comprehend over the telephone.

If people are willing to pay higher fares, I am sure UA would not mind leaving those jobs in the US

rotfl  No, management would continue to give themselves bonuses for saving money.

USPIT10L

Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:17 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 40):
one would hope they know the difference between PDX and PWM; or CMH, CSG, and GTR; or MHT and MAN; or BHM and BHX; or SJC and SJO; or SGF and SPI; or SAN and SCL; or DFW/DAL and IAD; etc.

Those mistakes can happen anytime an airline serves two cities with the same name, you just have to ask the right questions when you're booking. If it's any consolation for US Airways, the best way to get through stateside is to call the America West number at 1-800-235-9292. All the US Airways res numbers go overseas now. Hopefully Parker will get things straightened out sooner or later.

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 6):

While I dont have info on United's call center volume, I know another carrier which has seen its 2005 call volume equal only approximately 40% if its call volume compared to 10 years ago!

The introduction of the internet and automatic voice response systems can handle the many mundane calls for arrival times, or other general questions let alone to make a reservation.

Factor in the relative high cost of maintaining US staff as volumes decline its only natural for facilities to get shut, or get moved overseas to cheaper locations.

Just another trend resultant due to technology advances and globalisation.

Understood and point well taken, Laxintl, but that does NOT mean that a basic customer service function like that needs to be contracted out to the lowest bidder. Res was among the best entry-level positions in the airline industry, especially for customer service. I knew many people in the travel/airline biz who started out in res. I was hoping to do the same. Hopefully, the next person in charge at UA will realize the customer comes first, like Goodwin and Greenwald did. Even Wolf understood that part of the airline equation. Let's hope "fly the friendly skies" can return!
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

Flyboy14295

Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:21 am

This has been an issue of many airlines and companies, putting call centers in "Atlanta", codename for India. They outsource to these places only to have the impatient customers ask for an American rep. It is just easier to automate it and or make the call centers in the US. The US needs jobs anyways. If the people that dont have jobs still ownt take these, just remember, beggars cant be choosers.
Greetings from New York. "Take It to the limit." -Eagles

WDBRR

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:20 pm

Quoting Avatordon (Reply 30):
I seem to recall back in the 80s, right after I transferred from NYCRR, that a simialr press release was issued announcing the closure of ATLRR and NYCRR, consolidating them into IADRR. We had commuters that lived in "crash pads" that had known each other for years and came back to NYC - and elsewhere - on their days off. What a twisted type of irony.

If anyone subscribes to planebusiness banter, they have given Glenn Tilton an award - for those of you that don't, this award is one that they show as a sample of some of their business commentary. As it is free to access, to my knowledge, it is not copyrighted - so, please share this with the folks "Down in Dulles".

Wasn't the UA call center in Northern NJ (Rockledge?) before it closed?
maybe they called it the NYCRR call center. Heard the IADRR call center
was one of the largest in the world, read was a football field long.
when did it open? how many people did it employ at it's peak?
was the building dated and neglected?

ramprat74

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:35 pm

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...299&spn=0.003786,0.010643&t=k&om=0

I'm pretty sure this is it. It looks like a large multi story building.

DTWAGENT

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:02 pm

Computers are good. But, I still like to talk to a person when I have a question. Computers can't answer all the questions. My heart goes out to all 416 people that will be losing their jobs.

Chuck

dnl65

Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:19 am

My wife was hired at IADRR in 1988, she was the twelth new hire there. The site eventually grew to nearly 2000 agents before being downsized and outsourced. There only about 450 agents reamaining there now. At one point UAL was a great place to work but 9/11 and bankruptcy have ruined not only this company but most of the others in a once great industry.

WDBRR

Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:37 am

my heart goes out to those people being affected.
another cutback in a troubled industry.

Cory6188

Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:37 pm

Quoting WDBRR (Reply 43):
Wasn't the UA call center in Northern NJ (Rockledge?) before it closed?

It's entirely possible, although the town you're referring to is Rockleigh. It's actually only about 15 minutes from where I live. I'm surprised that they would've had a call center there, however, as I know that the pay for call center agents is rather low, and the cost of living in the area (northern Bergen County) is extremely high.

N1120A

Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:24 pm

Quoting RampRat74 (Thread starter):
* A growing number of customers are using united.com
and our voice recognition unit (VRU) system for
ticketing processes.

Well, sure, I can see more people using the website even if the name United.bomb works well for it, but that VRU is idiotic.

Now more of my calls will be answered by poorly trained Indians with severely lacking English

Um, I can't speak to their training, but that Indian probably speaks better English than you do

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 11):
One of the worst thing about UAL.com is the fact that it does not show the seat map like AA.com.

Yes it does.

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 20):
JetBlue decided to hire its reservation agents from the Salt Lake City area because its research shows that it has one of the highest concentration of potential applicants (well-educated stay-at-home moms). That most of them happen to be mormom is a side issue. Anything else and JetBlue would be begging for a massive employment discrimination lawsuit.

The Salt Lake reservations agent thing was indeed linked to David Neelman's tithing to his church (as was SLC getting a flight so early, before SYR did), but they don't hire just Mormons
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos