Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:55 pm

Hey A net was just wondering for those that have been to yyz new T1 what do you guys think. I know I work there every day and I am use 2 it. But I just want to know what you think of it so far???
Every thing and anything you can think of as a traveler?
ACYYZT1 thats me

Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:20 pm

I love it... I hear people bitching and complaining about it (especially from a distance perspective), but I find it very easy to get around... If you compare distances in Toronto vs. Amsterdam, Heathrow or CDG there is nothing to complain about. I think the Airport needs a better food court, with more shops etc. For all those people that bitch about the infield terminal, get over it!!! It's a transition phase people! No pain, no gain. Overall, I believe they've done a good job transitioning from old T1, to new T1. It will be nice once the the hammerhead section opens and there will be little need for the infield.

I love how open it is and the fact that there is so much natural light. It makes it a very calm and pleasing environment. I haven't tried the link train yet....but I look forward to discovering it very soon...

Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:52 pm

I agree, I find that Terminal 1 is a great building. It's very open, and spacious and is easy to navigate. I like much much better then Terminals 2 and 3.
Travelled on Dash 8-300, A319, A320, A321, A330, B737, B747, B757, B767, E75

Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:59 pm

When the new hammerhead section opens, will all Air Canada's flights be in T1?
Takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:01 pm

I agree, when will Air Canada be exclusivly out of T1 at YYZ? I know they have a lot of transborder stuff at T2, which i am hoping will be transefered to T1 in dec when the hammerhead opens.. that would be a plus for AC to have complete consolidation into one terminal!

Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:32 pm

I travel out of T1 every other month... I really like it and it is nice and spacious. I have walked though the entire area just looking around and even when there is a lot of people, it does not seem as crowded as other big airports.

My only complaint (yup, of course there is one), is the use of the IFT... I find it a royal pain! I cannot wait until all flights are from the main terminal, which if I remember correctly, it is supposed to be sometime in early 2007.

Mack8994 (aka Greg)
Courage is the power to let go of the familiar!

Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:46 pm

January 28, 2007.

T2 main building will be closed for good and all ACA operations as well as the other carriers that use T1 and IFT will all be moved to Pier F. T2 East Satellite will remain open and bussing operations will continue to that facility. From what I hear as well, IFT will remain open for overflow. Hope this helps

Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:53 pm

I walked through it last summer and found it to be quite nice...
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:09 am

I travel usually about 3 times a year, and I always end up in YYZ, being on the east coast, YHZ, you have the option of going through YYZ or YUL with AC. I end up in YYZ T1 and that is a Taj Mahal of terminals.

I have seen AC's "T1 Product Brief" and what is exactly going to happen to T1, and its a 100% better than whats at YYZ right now for Terminals. I cant wait, 2010 is when its supposed to be completed!

Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:26 am

Ya Working there I knew it was nice and a great terminal. I was just having my iced cap at tims yest and my buddy started talking about how bad and ugly t1 is i said we just work here and see it every single day , he started comparing to ATL DEN and how nice those are. The only thing I have a problem with is that there will not be any franchise resturants in there. No McDonalds KFC Burger King so they say. WHen i got the intro to t1 new 5 years ago Starbucks was suppose to be the official coffee in Tnew. We just got Tim Hortons. Not saying the current resturants are BAD but for an international traveler every one knows the big franchises.

As for the overflow stuff I think it all BS them using the IFT as overflow. During that same intro of T1new 5 years ago they said that there is 5-9 gates at T2 that will be for overflow domestic. Not once did they use those gates(they would have bussed passangers to t1) And there was many times that they could have used them.

And the last thing if I where a traveler at T1 that is a bad move by the GTAA is there are no VENDING MACHINES for travelers. Yes there is wolfgang puck that is open 24hrs and tim hortson also(24 hrs) but if some one want's a chocolate bar or gum maybe chips they cant get it.....If u have to layover or spend a few hours at the airport.......
ACYYZT1 thats me

Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:34 am

My only comment is...it looks so dull inside....It's a terminal with no character.....White and Gray....what a combination...a little of bit of life is needed.

I say this because I travel to HKG almost every other month. I had high expectations for YYZ T1..but why can't do a better job than what the chinese did in HK almost 10 years ago!!!

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:07 am

I like T1 very much. As an employee I have very little bad things to say about that terminal. Only bad thing is the ride on over from Viscount.

Every time I ride that train, I say to myself what GREAT university project that would make for an engineering department. "Make the Airport LINK Train System run smoother". U of T civil engineering, you have your challenge!

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:21 am

It is very convenient, clean and airy (just the improvement in ventilation is a big plus in my opinion). The parking garage makes the whole experience less stressful by indicating which rows have available spaces.

The only dissapointing thing this is the lack of dining options compared to T3.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:50 am

Last year I flew through T1 about 50 times so I am quite familiar with it.
The only thing lacking is warmth in the form of wood or plants.
As nice as the terminal is it could really use some large planters with trees etc.
Heck even fake ones like in DXB, or the new BKK would be a welcome addition.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:09 am

It's nice but as Kaz said it needs some "earthy" touches to make it that much nicer. Also the pre-security dining options are a joke.

It'll be really good though once that stupid infield terminal is gone. What a pain in the ass to connect to and from.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:28 am

Quoting YYZACGUY (Reply 9):
No McDonalds KFC Burger King so they say

This is a bad thing?

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:38 am

Quoting Bnamaxx (Reply 15):
This is a bad thing?

Considering the dearth of options available now, anything would be an improvement.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:20 am

Quoting Cessnapimp (Reply 11):
I like T1 very much. As an employee I have very little bad things to say about that terminal. Only bad thing is the ride on over from Viscount.

I read before that the train was much like riding a roller coaster with the way that it throws you around. I rode it for the first time last month, and agree, it could definitely use improvement.

You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:51 am

I like it; very easy to navigate.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:01 am

The only complaint I woud have, is the lack of restaurant/bar/wating area facilities before security. I often have friends to see me off, or want to visit in transit and there only seems to be a Starbucks and self-serve sandwhich/quick food place.
Carl (Ay104)
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:53 am

I agree...there needs to be a Swiss Chalet groundside.

Leahy on Per Seat Costs: "Have you seen the B-2 fly-by at almost US$1bn a copy? It has only 2 seats!"

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:15 pm

Bleak, sterile, institutional. Built in the era of PVG/HKG/ICN, and definitely missed the mark. Needs artwork and colour, and more high end commercial space.
Above and Beyond

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:58 pm

The way they designed this airport if you notice is there is not that much stores resturants in the pre security areas everything is past security. Reason is that they want passangers to be past security and in the gate areas Faster.. I know it's A very bad design/idea
ACYYZT1 thats me

New Air Agreement//Canada - Portugal

Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:35 pm

Quoting Cruiser (Reply 20):
I agree...there needs to be a Swiss Chalet groundside

The only thing stopping them (and others) is insane real estate prices. Look at how long it took Tim Hortons to finally bite the bullet and concede to public outcries!!
Above and Beyond

Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:41 pm

Nice design.
Far under utilized.
Way to expensive.
YYZ is the most expensive airport on the planet, surely not a good thing for AC?
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:00 pm

As I understand it, T2 will subsequently be demolished and T1 will be expanded to cover some or all the area currently occupied by T2.....so, in future, YYZ will mainly consist of T1, T3 and the IFT.....

Will the current T3 continue to be called T3 or will it be called T2....?

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:52 am

In terms of a "Taj-Mahal" sort of design, it certainly is a success. But FLYACYYZ said it, it screams BLAAAAND! Everything is white and grey which I find very depressing. It could well be a hospital. Artwork and certainly colour would help. Oh, and the international arrivals hall, even If spacious, is terribly cheezy with the white flashing neon light. The GTAA could have spared the money and used it on something else. My last thing would be about food prices: Every dining place I've been in there is overpriced. Ottawa, Montreal and Calgary all beat Toronto is that aspect.

Otherwise, certainly a grandiose facility, it just needs some esthetic and food/beverage outlets improvements.

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:49 am

Actually I was comparing it to other Canadian airports (still doesn't beat YVR). With YYZ being so bloody expensive I should be comparing it to HKG, SIN and the likes. In that case YYZ T1 sucks lol (for what it costs).

Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:51 am

The one thing that really bothers me about T1, is the fact that when you arrive on an international flight you have to leave the terminal and re-enter the secure area going through security again when connecting to another flight. I wish it was more like other airports (e.g. Frankfurt, Vienna, etc) where you don't have to leave the secure area to connect to another flight.
Dreaming of the day I can work for an airline

Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:22 pm

Once Pier F opens in Jan 2007 YYZ T1 will offer sterile International connections.

Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:27 pm

While T1-new is a functionally efficient experience (from what I've heard and read --> I have not experienced it yet myself, apart from a day trip in 2004..), I must give some perspective.

I was involved in several of the "Volunteer Trial" days back in 2004 when they were preparing to open the building.

I find it rather interesting that the GTAA ignored some of the comments that seemed to be rather uniform across most of the people I talked with -- lack of "life".

The building appears to be very dead. Aside from the (probably) expensive artwork that hangs / is painted in the facility, and the human bodies, there isn't much around to make you feel like you're on Earth.

It's funny -- because for a few thousand dollars, they could spiff that building up into a very attractive and "welcoming" experience.

I find it funny that they spend millions of dollars upgrading t.v screens, yet they don't spend any money on making the facility welcoming..

Typical 'large' corporation eh?

Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:48 pm

I also work out of T1 every day almost, although it is very spacious and "fresh" so to speak, still does not have the same feeling as some of the other big airports around. It drastically needs a better food court, and more reasonable shops. The shops and restaurants to me do not meet the needs of your average traveller, most people just want a quick bite to eat, as now AC does not provide inflight meals on transborder and domestic flights, so more fast food restaurants would help, also maybe a sports store and some other stores would help with keeping people busy when waiting around.

The GTAA probably charges an arm and a leg for anything, so not surprised to see such few reasonable places, thank god for Tim Hortons, much prefer Vancouvers airport to YYZ as of now, just my opinion.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:54 am

Used it once. Arrival at IFT was bit of a drag, especially since the bus takes so long when it gets stuck waiting for aircraft traffic to pass.
The facitlity looks nice and new, and, as mentioned a bit dull. Thats however to be expected from such a new facility. A building always needs some 'mileage' to get some sort of character.

If you'd but YYZ-1 and YVR-int into a shaker and end up with YYZ's space and technology, and YVR's character, you'd get close to a perfect air terminal, I'd say.
Retail and food facilities are a bit sparse, but they usually are in North America compared to mayor European airports (except FRA, but won't start on that)

So overall a promising, nice, and spacious facility.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:59 am

Agree with some of the comments above: sterile, boring, way too expensive for what is available. Do not like the white / gray at all. Departure lounges in YYZ T3 are much nicer, with a more relaxed atmosphere.

Amazing for such a new facility WiFi is not available in YYZ T1. When I asked at the information desk where WiFi hotspots are the response was there aren't any. YYZ has much to learn from YEG, YYC, YVR etc. about restaurants, shops, amenities and decor (a bit of wood works wonders).

The Jazz lounge for connecting flights is crowded and an unpleasant experience during busy times.

Also, the observation facility is simply incredible at the new YYZ T1.

∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:41 am

WiFi Is now there i see the signs all over the place was recently added.

As for the stores food courts there is suppose to be tons in the new PIER but it still leaves the domestic passengers with nothing.. I seen the drawings and its something else i will look for them on line..

O ya since I got asked a 30 times the other night you CAN NOT SMOKE INDOORS ANY MORE IN ONTARIO its a new law all the smoking areas are CLOSED. The only way you can smoke is if you exit the building and go outside threw security customs . Hope this saves the time for passengers to ask and look around..
ACYYZT1 thats me