Mortyman
Topic Author

Some Facinating SAS Facts

Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:15 am

Scandinavian Airline System ( SAS ) is celebrating it's 60 years these days and there was some interesting facts in the newspaper www.vg.no in Norway today:

SAS is a joint airline from Sweden, Denmark and Norway.

Did you know that the Danish part of SAS, DLL ( Det Danske Luftfartsselskab ) is the worlds oldest airline, even though the same is claimed by KLM ?

That SAS in the beginning had DC-7C planes with only 44 luxurious passanger seats. Sounds like heaven today, but back then it took 50 hours from Copenhagen to Tokyo.

The airline flew from Skandinavia to Buenos Aires via Paris, Lisbon, Dakar, Reclife, Rio de Janeiro and Montevideo.

Thats one hell of a flight..................

JHSfan

RE: Some Facinating SAS Facts

Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:46 am

Quoting Mortyman (Thread starter):
Did you know that the Danish part of SAS, DLL ( Det Danske Luftfartsselskab ) is the worlds oldest airline, even though the same is claimed by KLM ?

It's certainly right that DDL is older than KLM, but the Danish part has not been flying using its own name for many years - KLM has. Even during WWII KLM continued to fly in the Caribbean.

Yours in realtime
JHSfan
Look at me, I´m riding high, I´m the airbornmaster of the sky...

MEABeirut

RE: Some Facinating SAS Facts

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:40 am

Quoting Mortyman (Thread starter):
That SAS in the beginning had DC-7C planes with only 44 luxurious passanger seats. Sounds like heaven today, but back then it took 50 hours from Copenhagen to Tokyo.

I'd do it. Sounds fun! Especially in the age of completely gorgeous f/as and REAL service.

-Tim
Oil isn't everything...