BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Traveling With A Firearm

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:17 am

Hi all -

Just a couple of questions. Day after tomorrow I'm flying SLC-SEA on DL. I'll be checking in a firearm. I'm a little nervous as I've never travelled with a gun before. I've read the policy on Delta.com and it shouldn't be a problem. However I'm still a little worried about screwing something up. (Probably just me being paranoid.)

Am I going to be subjected to extra security checks because I'm checking a firearm?

Can I still check-in at the kiosk and then let the agent know when they tag my bag? Or do I have to wait in that monsterously long line for regular check-in? What about online check-in?

Thanks for your help guys.  Smile
Steve
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

EMBQA

RE: Traveling With A Firearm

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:46 am

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Thread starter):
Can I still check-in at the kiosk and then let the agent know when they tag my bag? Or do I have to wait in that monsterously long line for regular check-in? What about online check-in?

Sorry, you need to wait in line. I'm 99.99% sure the Delta web site says that about checking a firearm. You must check in at the counter. You will be asked to go into the Ops Office and prove that it is unloaded and I think you need to have a trigger lock and locking gun case. You should not be subject to anymore added security as you MUST leave the weapon with the ticket agents. Also, if taking ammunition it can not be in the same case.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

jwenting

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:50 am

there will also be some extra paperwork, which will accompany you on the flight so that at your destination you can reclaim the weapon without (hopefully) and trouble.
I have heard though of people getting into trouble going past security on the way out of the terminal after reclaiming their weapons due to overly zealous (renta)cops unfamiliar with procedures and maybe not in the know of the firearms regulations in their state.

Remember you have the constitution on your side, but it's always better to check whether you're allowed to transport the weapon (and if so, how) under the local law where you're heading as well.
Most police agencies and politicians don't bother much with the constitution after all, being more concerned with their own little fiefdoms.
I wish I were flying

HPRamper

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:32 am

Of course, it will probably not be put on the baggage carousel when you get to your destination (if it is an "obvious gun case" per policy). You will need to go to the baggage service office if this is the case.

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:41 am

I was told that since I'm traveling with a handgun, that the locked hard-sided case can be placed within my other checked bag and I reclaim them both at once. Does that seem right?

ulfinator

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:48 am

Steve,

I have checked my shotgun going to back and forth between SEA and Texas four times now. Twice with DL, once with AA and once with AS. I can't remember if I went through a Kiosk but since that is the only way you do it with AS I did that last time.

Best this you can do is call the airline and ask what their particular procedures are:

In general my experiance has been as such:

Just make sure it is in the locked case when you get to the airport.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):
I think you need to have a trigger lock and locking gun case.

You know I am not overly sure about that one but not a bad idea. I didn't have one on my shotgun when I flew this last May but maybe they have changes.

Check in and tell the ticket agents that you have a firearm to declare (Enjoy the looks on fellow passengers faces :-P). They will give you a statement to sign that says that the firearm is unloaded and the case is locked. You open the case and put it in with the firearm and lock the case back up. They will put there luggage tag thingy (sorry for the non technical term) and then tell you to proceed to security station by where you check in.

There TSA will x-ray the case first and then ask for you keys if they fell they need to take a look at it closer. After that they we re-lock the case and give you the keys back and you are done. Pretty painless actually. I usually get there early but haven't actually needed any extra time for the firearm checking.

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 3):
Of course, it will probably not be put on the baggage carousel when you get to your destination (if it is an "obvious gun case" per policy). You will need to go to the baggage service office if this is the case.

As far as picking it up on the other end mine has always just shown up at the oversize baggage area where either myself or traveling companion picks it up.

Hope that helps.

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:52 am

Great Josh! Thanks for the first-hand info.

Long time no see by the way! How's SEA doing? You & Becky still with Boeing?

I'd be interested to catch up sometime. I'll PM you my cell; give me a call if you feel like it.

Cya.
Steve

jetdeltamsy

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:04 am

Am I going to be subjected to extra security checks because I'm checking a firearm?

No, you will not be subject to extra security scrutiny once you have properly checked your firearm in checked baggage.

No. You must do it the old fashioned way. Paperwork you know.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

roadrunner165

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:10 pm

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 4):
I was told that since I'm traveling with a handgun, that the locked hard-sided case can be placed within my other checked bag and I reclaim them both at once. Does that seem right?

I believe that is correct. My mom has brought her pistol with her on more than a couple of occasions while traveling and she always kept the gun locked in a hard sided case inside her other luggage. Basically You have the lock on the trigger itself, then another lock on the outside of the hard case, and then another lock on the outside of the luggage bag. Also keep in mind that you can only take so much ammo along and the bullets need to travel in a separate luggage bag then the gun itself. Just make sure you tell the check in agent that you are declaring a firearm and they will know exactly what to do. If you have any paperwork on the gun it might help to bring that along just in case they have questions about that particular weapon, but I dont think my mom ever was asked to prove the gun was registered or anything crazy like that. Finally, make sure the gun is unloaded before you head to the airport.  Smile

Cheers

Adam

ANCFlyer

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:47 pm

Start with this BCA.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Don't short sheet any step and you'll be just fine.

Have a hard sided case - doesn't need to be reiforced steel - mine is ABS plastic. Have a lock, with two keys - one in your pocket forever, and one you can give to the TSA moron so they can inspect the bag. They should return that key to you. You'll need to stand there while the bag gets inspected. No big deal.

Check in at the ticket counter . . . you have to declare the weapon . . . no kiosk for you  wink .

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 2):
there will also be some extra paperwork, which will accompany you on the flight so that at your destination you can reclaim the weapon without (hopefully) and trouble.

NOT.

No paperwork at all other than the tag on your checked bag reading "FIREARM".

Most police agencies and politicians don't bother much with the constitution after all, being more concerned with their own little fiefdoms.

And that is pure horseshit. You add nothing to this post.

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 4):

HP is correct is you're traveling with a long gun. If traveling with a pistol - like you intend to do to the BHM meet - it will be in your suitcase on the baggage carosel.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):
I think you need to have a trigger lock and locking gun case.

Wrong

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):
Also, if taking ammunition it can not be in the same case.

Wrong

BCA - go read the TSA web site before any other posts here . . . as typical with Civ-Av most of them are WRONG answers.

Want to know the down and dirty, IM me.

Quoting Ulfinator (Reply 5):

Great post. Correct answers and no speculation. WOW! All that and in Civ-Av too!  faint .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

N353SK

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:56 pm

Also, most airlines don't allow you to check ridiculously large guns or ridiculously large quantites of ammo. I think the limits are 8 gague or 50 caliber, so almost any gun should be fine. But don't even think about checking that gattling gun mister!

FlyingTexan

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:58 pm

Quoting Ulfinator (Reply 5):
They will put there luggage tag thingy (sorry for the non technical term)

Destination tag.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 9):

And that is pure horseshit. You add nothing to this post.

Can we take this to non-av, guys? Cause it'll be a blast (pun) to see!
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

ANCFlyer

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:07 pm

From US Airways web site Steve:

It does not differ from the TSA guidelines.

(Do yourself a favor - do NOT try to pack ammo along for this trip. Buy it in BHM - save yourself and the airline some headache).

Firearms
US Airways will allow passengers to transport firearms in accordance with Federal Law. The following conditions must be met:
Items of shooting equipment will be accepted as checked baggage only.
A passenger who presents baggage containing a firearm must declare and demonstrate that the weapon is unloaded.
Firearms must be packed in a manufacturer’s hard–sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case, or a locked hard–sided piece of luggage. Handguns packed in a hard–sided gun case may be packed inside a soft–sided piece of luggage. A Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
Baggage containing firearms must be locked at all times and the key or lock combination retained by the passenger.
A Firearm Unloaded Declaration form must be signed and placed inside the bag or gun case.
Ammunition must be packed in the original manufacturing package or metal/wood box, with a maximum of 11 pounds per passenger.
There is no limit to the number of items contained in rifle, shotgun or pistol case, up to 50 lbs., 62 inches in maximum

And from the DL website:

Doesn't say much at all. Use the TSA guidelines:

Weapons

Ammunition will only be accepted if it is boxed, small-arms ammunition, it weighs less than 11 pounds, and is packed in checked luggage only.

Firearms will be accepted only if they are unloaded, declared to the agent at check-in, and packed in a suitable container in checked luggage only.

Gunpowder, mace, pepper spray, and tear gas are not allowed.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

tsaord

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:08 pm

Hi all -

Just a couple of questions. Day after tomorrow I'm flying SLC-SEA on DL. I'll be checking in a firearm. I'm a little nervous as I've never travelled with a gun before. I've read the policy on Delta.com and it shouldn't be a problem. However I'm still a little worried about screwing something up. (Probably just me being paranoid.)

Thanks for your help guys.
Steve

From what I know about checking In, you must let a CSR know you are checking a Firearm. Your Firearm must be packed in a locked hardside case for transport. You must declare it to the Airline and the declaration must be inside with the Firearm. It must be unloaded and if you are carrying ammunition the ammunition must be packed in its original casing or in such a way they can't become dislodged during flight/baggage handling. Stick around in case TSA for baggage screening needs to look inside. That is all. Have a safe trip!
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

ANCFlyer

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:10 pm

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 13):
Stick around in case TSA for baggage screening needs to look inside.

He MUST stick around TSA until they inspect and clear the bag for transport, if he does NOT the bag will NOT get on the plane. The TSA WILL look inside the bag, and WILL make sure the gun case is approved and has a lock and WILL make sure the suitcase is locked once they have cleared it for transport. You MUST remain at the TSA until they inform you the bag is cleared . . . .

fxramper

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:01 pm

I'd mail the gun instead of flying it. Why subject yourself to all the TSA hoops. Last LAX-AUS flight I took, I got harassed about a Zippo lighter by TSA noobs. I can't imgane what they'll assume with you checking a gun.

Regards.

swatpamike

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:23 pm

Hello all

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):
You will be asked to go into the Ops Office and prove that it is unloaded

At Southwest, at least in TPA FLL and MCO, they will ask to see the firearms right at the counter. I have had great fun holding up my 8 pistols and revolvers and hearing the comments from the 50 people in line behind me.

Of course, it will probably not be put on the baggage carousel when you get to your destination

My biggest problem with Southwest is that my guns case always ends up on the bag carousel. I have talked to management at 4 different stations about this to no resolve.

BCA - go read the TSA web site before any other posts here . . . as typical with Civ-Av most of them are WRONG answers.

Steve, do your self a favor and print out both the TSA and Delta's rules for checking a firearm. This way if you have any problems you have everything in writing.

As an example this quote is taken from the TSA web site and I checked Southwest’s site also and it is worded the same.

"You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.”

I purchase my 9mm target ammo from Wal-Mart the Winchester Value packs of 100 rounds. A good deal by the way. They are packed in a cardboard box but not in plastic sleeve things. Southwest made me throw away a box of this ammo because they had never seen ammo packaged in this manner. Although it meets all TSA and Southwest rules.

The next time I traveled with ammo I had both the TSA and Southwest rule printed out and had no problems.

Quoting N353SK (Reply 10):
limits are 8 gauge or 50 caliber

Most Customer Service would not know the difference between a 50 caliber rifle or a shotgun.

Cheers

swatpamike

Yellowstone

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Though I have never traveled with a firearm, nor do I intend to, I spoke briefly to one of my mom's friends' husband, who had gone on a hunting trip to Montana. He mentioned that the hassle to which you are subjected will vary based on your airport. Down here in SJC, where not many people fly with firearms, they put him through a whole mess of procedures. Up in Montana, where they have a steady stream of hunters visiting the state, it was more routine.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

ANCFlyer

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:58 pm

Quoting Swatpamike (Reply 16):
I have had great fun holding up my 8 pistols and revolvers and hearing the comments from the 50 people in line behind me.

Wow!  rotfl 

I usually have my badge handy . . . at least that way the fifteen old gray hairs in the line don't have cardiac arrest.

Steve, do your self a favor and print out both the TSA and Delta's rules for checking a firearm. This way if you have any problems you have everything in writing.

checkmark 

I purchase my 9mm target ammo from Wal-Mart the Winchester Value packs of 100 rounds. A good deal by the way. They are packed in a cardboard box but not in plastic sleeve things. Southwest made me throw away a box of this ammo because they had never seen ammo packaged in this manner. Although it meets all TSA and Southwest rules.

I still recommend buging the ammo once there. I certainly am not going to hump five hundred rounds of .40 cal from ANC to BHM . . .

goaliemn

Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:44 pm

Quoting N353SK (Reply 10):
Also, most airlines don't allow you to check ridiculously large guns or ridiculously large quantites of ammo.

The will limit the weight of the ammo, but I don't know of any that restrict based on caliber.

Quoting FXramper (Reply 15):
I'd mail the gun instead of flying it.

and risk federal charges? You can only ship a gun to a federal licensed dealer.

ChrisI1024

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:20 pm

Quoting Goaliemn (Reply 19):
and risk federal charges? You can only ship a gun to a federal licensed dealer.

Not true. I shipped a few guns for repair last month. I had to use either FedEx or UPS overnight. The guns were shipped directly back to me (I'm not an FFL) from the company.

From the NRA: Airline Transportation of Firearms

Really important:

Quote:
Cases will not be labeled as containing firearms. That practice was outlawed almost 10 years ago. Federal law now states: "No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm." [18 USC Sec. 922(e)] TSA will warn any airline that is marking cases that it is in violation of the law.

The last thing you want is for there to be some marking on the bag indicating what's inside. Call Delta and see if there's going to be a hassle on this point. If there is, I'd FedEx the firearm.

goaliemn

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:21 pm

Quoting ChrisI1024 (Reply 20):
Not true. I shipped a few guns for repair last month. I had to use either FedEx or UPS overnight. The guns were shipped directly back to me (I'm not an FFL) from the company.

Read my answer..

You can only ship a gun to a federal licensed dealer.

you shipped to an FFL, which is legal. A FFL can ship the same repaired gun back to the original owner, also legal. You shipping to a non-FFL, illegal.

Tod

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:57 pm

You'll need to stand there while the bag gets inspected. No big deal.

No big deal except KTN of all places.
The TSA genius opened the case properly, then turned the case over and re-opened upsidedown, dumping my wife's pretty Kimber 45 onto the floor.
 banghead  banghead 

Quoting ChrisI1024 (Reply 20):
The last thing you want is for there to be some marking on the bag indicating what's inside

checkmark 

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 18):
I still recommend buging the ammo once there

Probably not a bad idea, but at least for me so far, flying on AS I've never had any ammo problems. Also AS allows you to carry the ammo in the same case as the firearm. That way you only have one firearm case as checked luggage and other can be for bring home more nice Alaska fishies.

Tod

MechEngineer

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:19 am

Do you guys have any idea how exotic this discussion (especially regarding the non-hunting weapons) sounds for someone who lives in Europe?
I flew MUC-HAM-MUC yesterday, and just can't picture myself checking in an automatic and live ammunition at the LH counter...
Heavier-than-air flying machines...

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:24 am

Quoting MechEngineer (Reply 23):
I flew MUC-HAM-MUC yesterday, and just can't picture myself checking in an automatic and live ammunition at the LH counter...

I'm sure it must be a foreign concept for you. But don't make the mistake of thinking all Americans are gun toting fanatics. And I'm not taking an "automatic" (if you mean fully-automatic), I'm merely taking a handgun home for some sport shooting with my brothers. I'm not taking any ammunition. It's just a pistol in a locked case. I don't see the big deal...

MechEngineer

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:29 am

Quote:
I don't see the big deal...

I'm not saying it is.
BTW, "automatic" is British english for an automatic pistol (in contrast to a revolver), or at least it used to be...
Heavier-than-air flying machines...

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:33 am

Quoting MechEngineer (Reply 25):
I'm not saying it is.
BTW, "automatic" is British english for an automatic pistol (in contrast to a revolver), or at least it used to be...

That's why I clarified. Automatic has come to have a confused meaning. Some people use it denote "fully automatic" (machine guns), whereas you were using it a more traditional context meaning a type of handgun. I wasn't sure what your meaning was, thanks for clearing it up.  Smile

falstaff

Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:20 am

Big version: Width: 985 Height: 610 File size: 279kb

I travel with a handgun all the time. On NWA I have to fill out this card after I show the check in agent that the gun is unloaded and in a hard plastic, locked box. At DTW the TSA person is right there and they may ask to see that the chamber is clear. Nothing makes you feel more manly than pulling the action back on a semi-auto pistol in front of a bunch of travelers standing in line. It can get some attention. Never been a problem to check the gun. Make sure you ammo is in its original packaging and not in the same container as the gun. You can have them in the same suitcase, but not in the same box.

Quoting MechEngineer (Reply 25):
BTW, "automatic" is British English for an automatic pistol (in contrast to a revolver),

I have heard it used that way. Also a semi auto can be described as self loading.

You can only ship a gun to a federal licensed dealer.

That is true. I have an FFL and they talk about that several times in the big book of laws they send you. You can send it to an FFL holder. If you do not have an FFL you can ship it to the manufacturer, but they have to send you the same gun back. Risking Federal charges by sending a gun to anyone but an FFL holder is crazy. Even if you have an FFL you have to send the firearm to the address listed on the FFL, not just anywhere that the FFL holder happens to be. A non FFL holder can not send the gun to anyone except the manufacturer or repair facility. FFL to FFL is done all the time. Nothing like getting a gun from the UPS man. Once the UPS delivered a handgun to my neighbors house because I wasn't home. the box was marked deliver to addressee ONLY! That could have got the driver into hot water if anyone asked questions and that gun got into the wrong hands.

Quoting MechEngineer (Reply 23):
Do you guys have any idea how exotic this discussion (especially regarding the non-hunting weapons) sounds for someone who lives in Europe?

That is interesting. I have several German WWII vintage, and fully marked, pistols and rifles (as well as every major combatant in WWII). I think it is strange that I can buy guns from countries who do not let their own citizens own something that was once property of their own country. European Surplus stuff is cheap and plentiful because they can't sell it where it came from.

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 24):
But don't make the mistake of thinking all Americans are gun toting fanatics. And I'm not taking an "automatic"

I would have a full auto if I could afford it. The permit for having one is "cheap", owning a legal (pre-1968) full auto is very expensive to buy. I'll stick with bump firing my semi-auto AK-47M and and SKS. Bump fire is as close to full auto as you can get. A buddy of mine has a 1919 30-06 Machine Gun that was converted to semi auto. He has a crank fire system that lets him blow off up to 500 rounds per minute and is still legal. It cost about $2800 all together. I'll stick with my $300 home built AK-47. Yes that is legal, at least in my state.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

dl021

Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:40 am

Or you could just do what I told you on the phone.......
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ORDagent

Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:13 am

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 27):
Nothing makes you feel more manly than pulling the action back on a semi-auto pistol in front of a bunch of travelers standing in line

I've got the name of a good shrink to work with you on your compensation issues. Big grin

But back on topic when I worked for AA weapons a luggage are a daily occurrence. I did check a gun for a pax once and the next pax were a middle aged British couple and they were absolutely shocked at the ease of taking a weapon with you. That's what makes working in a global industry is you get to see how different cultures approach things like weapons etc.....

falstaff

Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:20 am

Quoting ORDagent (Reply 29):
I've got the name of a good shrink to work with you on your compensation issues.

The only compensation issue I have is that my work doesn't pay enough. ha ha! I know what you mean though, I don't drive a Corvette, which I always hear is the biggest issue of them all.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503