aircanl1011

Rating Air Canada's New In Flight Entertainment

Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:13 am

The article explores AC's new Entertainment system and compares it to Westjet and other airlines.

http://www.torontosun.com/Lifestyle/2006/08/21/1767616-sun.html
CYMRU AM BYTH / WALES FOREVER

AF-A319

RE: Rating Air Canada's New In Flight Entertainmen

Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:26 am

Thanks for the link...

Actually, the title of your thread gave me another idea: with more and more movies and programmes available on AVOD IFE systems, wouldn't it be nice to be able to give a "passenger rating" to the movie or tv show you've just seen? That way, you could browse the collection of programmes and see their popularity amongst passengers. Im sure it could be done easily on most new IFE/ICE systems

aircanada014

RE: Rating Air Canada's New In Flight Entertainment

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:39 am

Well I'm happy now AC finally have improved their IFE with AVOD.

psyops

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:09 am

I flew AC E190's last week, and was very impressed with the system. My kids were totally absorbed for the 4 hour duration of the flight. The navigation was easy enough that my 8 and 9 year old were using without any assistance from the parents.

The ability to stop, re-start, pause, rewind and fast forward was amazing.

The map (I assume showing a/c location on route) and game options not yet available.

Movie selections were very adequate with 4 hollywood type and 4 kids type.

Pete

FLYACYYZ

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:34 am

The question is often posed, unlike Westjet and JetBlue, why did AC go for AVOD versus Direct/Live TV??

Simply put, all of AC's fleet will be equipped with the operating platform. WS & B6 fly mainly within territorial North America and largely during prime tv viewing hours. As AC's operation is round the clock, and around the world, often out of prime TV range. In the end, this was the final consideration.

With planned software upgrades, the system will continue to improve. Haven't heard yet whether the T-7's will operate with the same or an enhanced level of the Thales system.
Above and Beyond

eisman

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:14 am

I know that this is off topic, but how is the business-class lie flat seat conversions coming? I have a direct flight to Rome in mid October scheduled, with a return thru FRA. I'm really hoping for the new seats on the Rome flight.
Thanks

FLYACYYZ

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:37 am

Regrettably the first 763 suites were to be released during Spring of 2006. The first conversion is still in the shop waiting to be sprung. Rumor has it that work will be outsourced in order to step up the XM project.
Above and Beyond

Flyboy14295

RE: Rating Air Canada's New In Flight Entertainmen

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:53 am

When it was around and if it still Is I like the DL Song IFE with all of its games and thre in plane trivia that you could play against other people in the same plane. I have so far thought that, that is one of the best I have experienced.
Greetings from New York. "Take It to the limit." -Eagles

aircanada014

Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:23 am

Quoting FLYACYYZ (Reply 4):
The question is often posed, unlike Westjet and JetBlue, why did AC go for AVOD versus Direct/Live TV

Direct/Live TV is not available for overseas and their equipment is a bit heavier than AVOD. Direct/Live TV doesn't offer much choices of entertainment. I read it in a paper sometime ago couldn't remember what paper.

eisman

Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:47 pm

Thanks FLYACYYZ. I guess I should look on the bright side. If I can't sleep because of the older seats, I might have better entertainment.

FLYACYYZ

Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:53 am

Quoting Eisman (Reply 9):
Thanks FLYACYYZ. I guess I should look on the bright side. If I can't sleep because of the older seats, I might have better entertainment.

I'll be on the Rome flights in October. I'll show you a good time if I'm on board!!

Regrettably, the enhanced entertainment is tied into the new seating. You might get lucky, and be on one of the refurbished aircraft!!
Above and Beyond

coerj

Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:54 am

The article says that it will be installed on the entire fleet but does that include Jazz.

It would be nice to see a Beech 1900D with AVOD- good touch. jk...

FLYACYYZ

Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:04 am

ACJazz CRJ705's Only

ACMainline - All Aircraft
Above and Beyond

HanginOut

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:48 pm

The only thing that I don't like about the new IFE is the fact that they won't turn it on during short flights.

I flew on YYZ-YOW on the Embraers and they told me they won't turn on the system for a short flight like this (even though I could have watched one of the short tv programs) or played games (when they're installed and working).
Dreaming of the day I can work for an airline

FLYACYYZ

Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:20 am

Quoting HanginOut (Reply 13):

You picked the one route. AC's cutoff for in-flight programming is under 1 hour. Therefore, YYZ-YOW is the only route that does not qualify for in-flight entertainment & complementary headsets. Very often actual in-air time is just over 35 minutes. There is also a Transport Canada issue regarding this. Daily news was shown on YYZ-YOW for flights, but was suspended a few years back.
Above and Beyond

DavidYYC

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:50 am

I am pleased that AC has at least something better then the old antiquated faded flip down screens that we had to crane our necks to see.
But NOTHING beats Emirates' (10 inch screen) 500 channel ICE system that I recently had the pleasure of experiencing on LGW-DXB-JNB return. That remains the system to better, in my opinion!

A332

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:54 am

Quoting DavidYYC (Reply 15):
I am pleased that AC has at least something better then the old antiquated faded flip down screens that we had to crane our necks to see.

I agree... AC's IFE has been very uninspiring for quite some time now, which is one of the main reasons why I have been giving WestJet most of my business for the last couple years.

Competitive IFE quality will get me back on AC though... I am a very big fan of their Airbus A32x fleet.  Smile
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!