cvg2lga

Need Help, Int'l Piloting

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:23 am

Heres the deal, I want to and am going to be a pilot. Currently I live in the US. I am considering a move eventually to Brasil. What I am wondering is whether or not it would be beneficial or better to get my PPL and go further here in the US or in Brasil. Would it matter any at all even? If I were a licensed pilot in the US would I be able to obtain flying employment in Brasil with just company training and evals. or would I have to do it all over again, and vice versa if I trained there first and came back to live in the US? THanks for any help.
Tchau
DA-
They don't call em' emergencies anymore. They call em' Patronies.

727EMflyer

RE: Need Help, Int'l Piloting

Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:08 am

Use this nifty internet thing and look up aviation regs in Brazil. Typically, especially at the comercial and ATP levels, training and certification regulations are pretty uniform from one country to the next. You could earn your certification where you are now, and when you move it would be a matter of some paperwork and maybe a few hours training and a checkride for you to be granted a certificate in the country concerened.
BTW, there are a myriad of international pilots in the tech-ops forum who can probably quote you the regs without opening a book!

JOSEMEX

Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:18 am

I don't know about Brazil, but in my country (Mexico) you cannot fly for a mexican carrier unless you are a mexican born citizen, so perhaps in Brazil the situation is similar?

Amazonphil

Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:25 pm

Quoting CVG2LGA (Thread starter):
Heres the deal, I want to and am going to be a pilot. Currently I live in the US. I am considering a move eventually to Brasil. What I am wondering is whether or not it would be beneficial or better to get my PPL and go further here in the US or in Brasil. Would it matter any at all even? If I were a licensed pilot in the US would I be able to obtain flying employment in Brasil with just company training and evals. or would I have to do it all over again, and vice versa if I trained there first and came back to live in the US? THanks for any help.
Tchau
DA-

You should get your license here and gain experience, but you will have to at least take a PPL written test and take a check ride down there to get a Brasilian license. This is what I will need to do if I decide to get a Brasilian license. I learned to fly in Brasil as a youngster but got the American license in the US first...just way it turned out, not that one was easier/harder or had preference over the other. I have the PPL study guide with all the test questions when I decide to go for the Brasilian license.
Have a couple of friends(American) that have Br. licenses now and had to do this.

Boa sorte cara!

Cheers,
amazonphil
If it ain't Boeing, I ain't goeing!

Amazonphil

Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:33 pm

Also, you can fly for 90days in Brasil on your American license, sort of similar to having the 90day tourist visa. This allows for a foreign rated pilot to fly around the country visiting someone,vacation, etc. without needing to get a Brasilian license. BUT, if you are going to live there eventually, you first will need a permanent visa for living in Brasil and an address before getting the Brasilian license. I have a permanent visa now which is one thing I have been waiting for to now begin to apply for the PPL license.

CHeers,
amazonphil

Amazonphil

Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:37 pm

Quoting JoseMEX (Reply 2):
I don't know about Brazil, but in my country (Mexico) you cannot fly for a mexican carrier unless you are a mexican born citizen, so perhaps in Brazil the situation is similar?

Jose, just having a permanent visa for Brasil is sufficient there, don't have to be a Brasilian born citizen.

Saludos!

amazonphil