etrast

AA Carry-on Policy For International Flights

Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:46 am

I would like to get inputs from regular AA international travellers who visit this forum regarding current AA policy on carry-on luggage.
According to their website, you can have carry-on luggage(s) on your flight from US to international (Except prohibited items/liquids).
I will be travelling in the ORD-DEL sector next week and am planning on carrying a suitcase and a laptop bag as cabin luggage.
I read a review on airlinequality web site that AA is forcing people to check-in all luggages and only allowing stuff in clear plastic bags even on international flights originating in the US.

Do the gate/ticket agents of AA enforce a different policy than the one specified in AA web site?

TIA

jcavinato

RE: AA Carry-on Policy For International Flights

Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:16 am

Etrast,

Thanks for posting this. I have the same question as I'm going ORD-CDG in last September. I hope someone replies with an answer for us.

kellmark

Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:25 am

I was in Delhi on Sunday, traveling BA to LHR and then MIA. The sign at the AA counter said there were NO HAND LUGGAGE at all allowed on AA, at least on the flights leaving Delhi.

usnseallt82

Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:21 am

Quoting Etrast (Thread starter):
I read a review on airlinequality web site that AA is forcing people to check-in all luggages and only allowing stuff in clear plastic bags even on international flights originating in the US.

From what I understand, as a temporary measure, no hand luggage is allowed. Everything must be in clear plastic bags.

Pain in the ass, yes, but probably needed for right now to ensure that everyone complies with the new rules.
Crye me a river

FLY2LIM

Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:28 am

Quoting Etrast (Thread starter):
Do the gate/ticket agents of AA enforce a different policy than the one specified in AA web site?

Flew LIM-MIA-SFO on 8/16-8/17 and I brought a carry-on with no liquids in it. Had to enter security at LIM and again at MIA (you exit customs onto the public area) and had no problems. At LIM, you could even purchase Duty Free liquor to have it delivered to you inside the aircraft. Of course, it wouldn't have been allowed at MIA security.
That said, my sister was flying LIM-MIA on LA and MIA-LHR on BA. She was told that she could not bring a carry on for the second leg.
I hope this helps.

FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

DFW13L

Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:45 am

See, I knew American Eagle was first class all along!

jetdeltamsy

Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:57 am

Quoting Kellmark (Reply 2):
traveling BA to LHR and then MIA. The sign at the AA counter said there were NO HAND LUGGAGE at all allowed on AA,

That was due to a prohibition of carry-on to/from LHR.

Read the update attached to AA's Carry-On Policy.
http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/Vie...ry&itemDescriptor=PromotionContent

[Edited 2006-08-24 03:59:50]
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

sflaflight

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:27 pm

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 6):
That was due to a prohibition of carry-on to/from LHR.

Prohibition of liquids into the US. Ha! SOunds like the 20's again all over. LOL!

Love it! Seems like all things are cyclical!

Just some humor for these security intensive days! It's the most we can do!

LFutia

Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:57 am

Quoting Kellmark (Reply 2):
I was in Delhi on Sunday, traveling BA to LHR and then MIA. The sign at the AA counter said there were NO HAND LUGGAGE at all allowed on AA, at least on the flights leaving Delhi.

I was at Delhi Airport on the 20th checking in for my flight home to Chicago that departed on the 21st at 12.15a. what time where you there? maybe its possible we bumped in to each other? AA gave me shit about prescription meds at the delhi airport so be careful when you fly home.

Leo
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

Ken777

Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:33 pm

It will be interesting to see how the airlines handle medical equipment. I use an autopap for sleep apnea and need to have it with me on the plane. (Actually get to use it on BA & QF, but AA is still in the 90's on this one.) Since the DOT specifically excludes medical equipment bags for carry on limits both AA and BA need to address this issue.

Anyone else in the same position that has more information? Would love to know what adjustments to policy have been made.

LFutia

Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:56 am

Ken777, you will need to demonstrate on how it works, We had a person in our group who uses the same type of equipment you do. She said at the Delhi airport, (i dunno anywhere else) that she had to take it out and demonstrate how it works.

Leo
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

Ken777

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:13 am

Quoting Lfutia (Reply 10):
you will need to demonstrate on how it works

That's never a problem. I did it once at TBIT and security (a woman) spent a fair amount of time asking questions about it - seems her husband snores and stops breathing periodically. Ended up giving a short "training" session on OSA and she took notes! By now hubby has been tested and has his cpap.