teamspeedy

Qantas Has New Rules For Dells

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:08 pm

If you've got a Dell notebook and you're flying Qantas sometime soon, be aware of the new rules regarding your precious laptop. If you want to use it you have 1 which is to remove your battery and move up to first or business class and power your computer via power supply
Syydney Morning Hearld article
Flown on 727,747-200,747-400,757,777,A320,DC10,DC9.MD-80,SB340,CRJ-200,A380

baroque

RE: Qantas Has New Rules For Dells

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:25 pm

Quoting Teamspeedy (Thread starter):
nd you're flying Qantas sometime soon

Thanks TS, I am travelling to Jkt on Wed coming and am fresh off the phone from asking Qantas what rules there were for carry on baggage - nothing different said the nice lady!! I don't have a Dell, but I will be taking a Twinhead. I might need to be ready to point out the difference between it and a Dell. Such as "more letters and (so far) much less smoke". I had totally missed that article in the SMH.

Wonder what other small matters will not be exactly as advertised!

turkee

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:33 pm

I highly doubt this will be enforced. More of a passenger-takes-responsibility thing that gets written into the conditions of carraige inside the e-ticket wallet.

I can just imagine a flight attendant wandering around the cabin in a full 744 to every person carrying a laptop: "Excuse me, is your laptop a Dell?"

Zkpilot

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:38 pm

Quoting Turkee (Reply 2):
I highly doubt this will be enforced. More of a passenger-takes-responsibility thing that gets written into the conditions of carraige inside the e-ticket wallet.

I can just imagine a flight attendant wandering around the cabin in a full 744 to every person carrying a laptop: "Excuse me, is your laptop a Dell?"

I've seen a printout for checkin on QF... they do have these restrictions in place because of Dell having that recall due to exploding batteries.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

ChicagoFlyer

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:30 am

Not really a major restriction but with Apple also announcing the recall of 'exploding batteries,' this cartoon is priceless:

alaskaqantas

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:07 am

I am a fan of both Qantas and Dell and I think that yes, it is smart for Qantas to take this precaution... we just sent in for new batteries and my dad will be flying from LAX-AKL and back in mid september... so either A: this restrictment isn't in place still, or B: we can have a letter or something from Dell saying that it is a new battery.

Although he is flying business class he doesn't like to take his charge because it takes up so much room in his briefcase... but I guess bummer for him  Wink Big grin
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

Ryan h

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:30 am

I am glas I have a Toshiba laptop...

I have carried it all over the world and had no problems with it.
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

boeingfever777

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:45 am

Yeah you can add Apple to the list as well...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,210315,00.html

Seems Sony and their faulty power cells are to blame in both cases.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

turkee

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:48 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 3):
I've seen a printout for checkin on QF... they do have these restrictions in place because of Dell having that recall due to exploding batteries

Yep, implementing restrictions is one thing, and I can appreciate why they are doing it. Enforcing them is another. I'd put good money on the fact I could take a Dell laptop onboard a QF flight without being questioned about it.

ouboy79

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:58 am

The battery recalls will continue to mount...Sony is now expecting to take a hit of around $250 Million because of this. Dell may be taking a hit because of it, but they were the first to take charge of th situation. Apple is doing the same thing. I would expect the others that use Sony batteries to make similar moves shortly.

ikramerica

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:09 am

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 5):
I am a fan of both Qantas and Dell and I think that yes, it is smart for Qantas to take this precaution...

No it's not.

If you look into the problem, the number of fires is miniscule, and the danger is not even one that would require landing the plane.

So many things can go wrong in flight, that singling out dell notebooks when SOME of them have recalled batteries (which are being REPLACED) is stupid. Adding apple to the list is stupider, as it only affects 3 computer models, none of which are even produced anymore!
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

N231YE

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:14 am

Quoting Boeingfever777 (Reply 7):
Seems Sony and their faulty power cells are to blame in both cases.

Would that mean Sony laptops have problems too?

ikramerica

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:19 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 11):

only if they use sony lithium ion cells of this variety. just because sony brands the laptop, doesn't mean every component inside the laptop that could be made by sony IS made by sony...

alaskaqantas

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:42 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 10):
No it's not.

If you look into the problem, the number of fires is miniscule, and the danger is not even one that would require landing the plane.

So many things can go wrong in flight, that singling out dell notebooks when SOME of them have recalled batteries (which are being REPLACED) is stupid. Adding apple to the list is stupider, as it only affects 3 computer models, none of which are even produced anymore!

I see what you are getting at, and I think that it would be frustrating to not be able to bring on my laptop (hahaha if I don't then I won't be able to do school work  Wow!)

At the same time it is good to see that the airline is taking a step of precaution... that being said I hope they realize that people are getting new batteries and that quite a few are "safe."

Quoting Ouboy79 (Reply 9):
Sony is now expecting to take a hit of around $250 Million because of this.

yes that does seem like heaps of money... but think of what could have happened lets say if some houses caught fire... there could be alot of money spent if people sued.
hehe I guess I was just thinking of the worst case scenario.
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

boeingfever777

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:58 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 12):
just because Sony brands the laptop, doesn't mean every component inside the laptop that could be made by Sony IS made by Sony

As for Sony coming out and and saying their own product has battery issues I doubt their PR dept. would release that until one of the models has an issue. This would be even more a disaster for them.

Sony uses their own batteries in 99% of their laptop models. They are for the most part proprietary to make and model.

copaair737

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:22 am

Glad I got a Gateway Notebook..although I'm not flying QF anytime soon. Either way, I'm glad there isn't an exploding battery in mine.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

jacobin777

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:09 am

If this situation isn't solved by the time I take QF and I see someone with a Dell not following the rules, I'll make sure to show the F/A's a printout of the webpage and get the person in trouble.. devil 

Quoting Ryan h (Reply 6):
I am glas I have a Toshiba laptop...

I have a Compaq P-IV........beast of a machine, but its a battery guzzler... spin 
"Up the Irons!"

ikramerica

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:39 am

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 14):
Sony uses their own batteries in 99% of their laptop models. They are for the most part proprietary to make and model.

The cells are inside the battery, and they are not necessarily made by Sony even if the battery pack is a "sony" branded battery pack.

Ken777

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:01 pm

Looks like they might - this was posted today:

http://www.themacobserver.com/article/2006/08/24.5.shtml

In terms of the actual restriction, I think it's wise. I saw the picture from Japan of the Dell on fire. If that happened on a plane the pax using the notebook would basically have 3rd degree burns over a large part of their body and, if they lived long enough to get to the hospital they would end up with a new face, neck chest, arms, etc. from skin transplants.

All QF has to do to ensure FAs keep a vigorous watch is to show them the picture of the fire, discuss what would have to happen in terms of getting to the nearest airport, and then show them a few pics of severe burn patients.

Apple is in a better position is that they have only had 6 problems - and no fires. No doubt in my mind that Apple's attorneys had a chat with them about replacing the Sony batteries ASAP - especially since Sony is in no position to argue with them at the moment.

Yellowstone

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:04 pm

Makes me glad I buy HP!
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

wukka

Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:30 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 18):
Apple is in a better position is that they have only had 6 problems - and no fires.

Oh?

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/06/a...aptop-engulfed-in-flames-real.html

...and that was just a quick search. Tell that to the guy that had his classic pickup smoked by his Powerbook sitting in the truck while he was away.

So much for a "better position", eh?
We can agree to disagree.

trojanAE

Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:41 pm

Quoting ChicagoFlyer (Reply 4):
Not really a major restriction but with Apple also announcing the recall of 'exploding batteries,' this cartoon is priceless:

HAHAHAHAHAHA thanks for that man, I was literally laughing out loud for like a minute at that.
"My soul is in the sky." -William Shakespeare

YUAMB

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:02 pm

I flew on QF108 LAX-SYD yesterday.

After takeoff, an annoucement was made that first and business passengers were now able to use the in seat power. "If you have a dell laptop, please ask your cabin staff prior to using in seat power"

As far as checking people using laptops if they were using a dell, this i could not see because the flight was barely 50% full (F around 65%, C barely 20%, Y around 50%) and no one that i saw had a laptop on...

VHXLR8

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:21 pm

Well mate, that's exactly what QF cabin crew are doing at the moment. It's really not hard; takes all of 5 seconds.

Gr8Circle

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:59 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 3):
I've seen a printout for checkin on QF... they do have these restrictions in place because of Dell having that recall due to exploding batteries.

I think everyone here is exxagerating or over reacting....."exploding batteries" for gods sake!!! The only problem with these batteries in question is that they overheat quickly and in some situations, may cause small burnouts.....not really qualify as "explosions".....

UPS Pilot

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:36 pm

Peliminary report from the NTSB on the emergency landing of a UPS DC-8 in Philly stated that the fire that caused the hull loss was caused by a shipment of Laptop batteries.

baroque

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:19 pm

This thread is really encouraging - NOT! I am on a QF flight on Wed coming and because my desktop has developed an "issue" with its intranet connection, this is coming via my laptop. So I type this with a constant expectation of another exploding brand. That it has not exploded in two years will count for nought when I meet the doughty QF check in mob.

I must get one of my Chinese friends to teach me how to use an abacus, but I don't think their wordprocessors are very advanced as yet and Adobe is still ahead on graphics.

boeingfever777

Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:19 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 17):
The cells are inside the battery, and they are not necessarily made by Sony even if the battery pack is a "Sony" branded battery pack

Really??? Thought they were on the outside... Thanks so much for pointing out something so obvious.  sarcastic 

The cells in question are made by Sony Energy Devices Corp. which is a holding/subsidiary of Sony Corp, so Sony is to fault not another manufacture.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08...6/sonybattery/index.php?lsrc=mwrss

bhmbaglock

Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 10):

The same argument could be made for the oxygen generators that caused the ValueJet crash. Any fire, even "minor", is a major concern in an aircraft; even more so for an airline like Qantas that operates mostly at great distances from any landing site.

Yes, the only major manufacturers not usin Sony cells are Fujitsu and HP. So also look to see some action regarding IBM/Lenovo, Gateway, etc. shortly.

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 15):
Glad I got a Gateway Notebook..although I'm not flying QF anytime soon. Either way, I'm glad there isn't an exploding battery in mine.

See above, don't be so sure.
Where are all of my respected members going?

777ER
Crew

Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:01 am

Virgin Blue have also announced the same policy as QF
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

UAL747

Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:17 am

As said before, the batteries are actually made by Sony, but per Dell policy, Dell takes the recalls and outfits the notebooks with new batteries. No doubt this is bad PR for Dell and Apple now too it seems, but they won't be taking the brunt of the cost for the recalls.

Besides, there have only been 2 fires out of the MILLIONS of laptop computers there are out there with these specific type of batteries.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

N231YE

Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:13 pm

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 28):
Yes, the only major manufacturers not usin Sony cells are Fujitsu and HP.

I'm running off of an Acer Tablet PC, and it has Sanyo batteries. So Acer could be added to the list.

Qantas744er

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:04 pm

Apple laptops are also infected, Ibooks 12" Powerbooks 12" and Powerbooks 15" from battery production of 2003 to aug. 2006. I already ordered a free replacement.

Cheers Leo
Happiness is V1 in Lagos

ouboy79

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:41 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 28):
Yes, the only major manufacturers not usin Sony cells are Fujitsu and HP. So also look to see some action regarding IBM/Lenovo, Gateway, etc. shortly.

Try again.  Smile

From and article in Forbes:

Many other laptop makers use batteries made by Sony, such as Fujitsu, Toshiba (other-otc: TOSBF.PK - news - people ) and HP, though no recalls from these other manufacturers have been announced.

This is a bigger issue than many think. Dell took the lead because they had too...they are the largest so they are going to have the largest effect, not to mention their huge focus on fixing customer satisfaction issues they have had (their hiring in Round Rock, Nashville and Oklahoma City have been extreme). Apple made the right call since they are in a more niche market and the impact can be really high. I would expect the others to follow slowly but surely.

baroque

Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:07 am

I took my Twinhead battery out last night, and it defeats me to know who the heck made it. Highly anonymous contribution. But so far, it has failed to ignite!!

But my video has Sony batteries (not surprising as it is a Sony video). Is it just laptops, or has Sony started a trend for other appliances? I don't really want to commit my laptop, video and SLR camera (yes the old 25 megapixel model) to the checked in baggage come Wed.