SHUPirate1
Topic Author

US Airways: CLT-LCQ And PHL-LPL?

Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:09 am

Normally, I would think this was off-the-wall, crazy, etc. However, looking at the US Airways employment website, they seem to be hiring for stations at Lake City, Florida and Liverpool, United Kingdom. Obviously, the only hubs US Airways has that could sustain LCQ and LPL are Charlotte and Philadelphia, respectively. Is it possible that US Airways is considering service to these two cities, or is this just USAirways.com-gone-LoCCo?
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

USPIT10L

RE: US Airways: CLT-LCQ And PHL-LPL?

Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:26 am

US Airways does have a European call center in LPL, IIRC, not sure what the deal is with Lake City, FL. The MCO res center closed after 9/11.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:37 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 1):
US Airways does have a European call center in LPL

That would explain Liverpool. I was kind of wondering why US Airways would serve Liverpool with Manchester about thisfar away.

HPRamper

Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:55 am

Lake City, hmmm I suppose that might be a possibility. It would be a totally untapped market, however small. US would need to set up an entire infrastructure, and I just can't see them spending that kind of money, hiring employees etc for a station that probably couldn't support more than two flights a day, especially with GNV and JAX not far away. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:09 am

46.01 miles (per Mapquest.com shortest distance) from Gainesville, 61.28 miles from Jacksonville, 62.32 miles from Valdosta, GA, and 104.48 miles from Tallahassee.

For those wondering, Lake City is where I-10 (between Tallahassee and Jacksonville) and I-75 (between Tampa and Atlanta) intersect.

Rookinla

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:27 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 3):
Lake City, hmmm I suppose that might be a possibility.

Ummm....Lake City has less than 10,000 residents and is economically one of the poorest cities of its size in the state. GNV, VLD and JAX are all a close drive away.

It would be a totally untapped market,

Yes...and for good reason. There is absolutely no market for commercial service here.

I just can't see them spending that kind of money, hiring employees etc for a station that probably couldn't support more than two flights a day,

I would be willing to bet that LCQ couldn't fill ONE Beech 1900D to Charlotte daily. This would go down as one of the dumbest station openings in the airline's history for sure.

There has to be a better explanation for this. Isn't Lake City the home of a maintenance facility? I could understand that...I tried to find open positions at LCQ on usairways.com and the search came up empty. Approximately 75 miles south of Lake City sits Ocala...a city with a metro population of over 300,000. Higher standard of living and more disposable income...larger than Gainesville and growing much faster...yet it can't seem to attract commercial air service. If Ocala can't get it, Lake City probably has a 0% chance of landing US. Even if they did, do you really think that the TSA would give LCQ screeners if they turned down MTH?

steeler83

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:22 am

Quoting Rookinla (Reply 5):
I would be willing to bet that LCQ couldn't fill ONE Beech 1900D to Charlotte daily. This would go down as one of the dumbest station openings in the airline's history for sure.

Now that would be pathetic!

Get me a Chevie van, a whole lot of cardboard, and some masking tape - I am sure that would be the largest thing to get off the ground there, and that ain't going very far!!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Falcon Flyer

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:26 am

As previously mentioned, Lake City has a pretty big paint and maintenance shop used by several airlines. If US aircraft are there for repaint, it may be a QC position to overlook the work. Just a theory.
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

RL757PVD

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:38 am

I also noticed MCN was listed, and i believe HP used MCN form some of their 737 mx checks, so chances are its call center or maintenance jobs.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:59 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 6):
Now that would be pathetic!

Get me a Chevie van, a whole lot of cardboard, and some masking tape - I am sure that would be the largest thing to get off the ground there, and that ain't going very far!!

Runway length is not an issue...Lake City Municipal's runway, at 8002 feet, is 1000 feet longer than LaGuardia's. Last I checked, LaGuardia has even received 767's on a regular basis before, like in the last couple of years.

The Paint and Maintenance Shop quality control thing, on the other hand, is SIGNIFICANTLY more plausible.

HPRamper

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:41 pm

I couldn't find anything on a Lake City mx facility. Air service does seem very implausible. I didn't have any idea about how poor the area is. I figured maybe it would have a seasonal appeal or something. So yea, I agree with the mx idea. Only thing it could be.

So, when we going to Ocala?

Rookinla

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:58 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 10):
So, when we going to Ocala?

That's a good question. I do admit that even with the market size it is still a risk. The terminal would need an overhaul and it has been almost twenty years since OCF has seen commercial service. But the airport is planning a new terminal...hopefully one decent enough to at least accomodate a few carriers. There is a good usable runway that is going to be lengthened...no problem for a CRJ. OCF does receive private charters upon occasion...mostly 727s but has been as large as a 707 and DC8. It is true that GNV is only about 40 miles away but trust me when I say that only a VERY small percentage of Ocala passengers use GNV. Most tend to use MCO...about 75 miles away. But the growing affluent segments of the population will gladly pay a premium to fly out of OCF. Someone just has to take a risk...and it could easily pay off for them. I've mentioned a few possibilities before and a few members of the board totally disagree...and that's cool because this is a board for discussion! I still feel that the most likely scenario is DL 2 to 3X CRJ to ATL...great connecting opportunities and I would be willing to bet full loads. I do know someone at AA (and this person is very reliable) that has told me that they are looking at the possibility of Eagle service to DFW in the not too far future. However US service would be quite welcome as the New York City airport trio is a huge destination for OCF travelers.

jmc1975

Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:04 pm

Quoting Rookinla (Reply 5):
There has to be a better explanation for this. Isn't Lake City the home of a maintenance facility?

Quoting Falcon Flyer (Reply 7):
As previously mentioned, Lake City has a pretty big paint and maintenance shop used by several airlines. If US aircraft are there for repaint, it may be a QC position to overlook the work. Just a theory.

checkmark 
HP has had heavy MX work done at LCQ for a number of years.

Amwest2United

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 10):
couldn't find anything on a Lake City mx facility.

Lake City has a sizable MX station. United, Air Tran, HP, US and I even saw a couple NW plans there. US has Mx techs and QA people on site.
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!

steeler83

Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:06 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 9):
Runway length is not an issue...Lake City Municipal's runway, at 8002 feet, is 1000 feet longer than LaGuardia's. Last I checked, LaGuardia has even received 767's on a regular basis before, like in the last couple of years.

That is good information to know, but I was referring to the statement that the airport would not even support a daily Beech1900 (which seats 19 people) That's where I thought of a chevy van... The ones my college uses seat up to 15 people...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.