aviationwiz

Boarding Pass Check - What Do They Look For?

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:21 pm

So when you're travelling in the United States, and at the beginning of getting into the line, you hand them your boarding pass, and they check it against your photo ID to make sure that you're the right person.

Then, usually, when going through the metal detector, you hand it to them and they look it over for a good 5 seconds without making any marks.

What do they actually do?

The reason I ask is because when flying out of MSP early Wednesday Morning, I accidentally gave them my boarding pass from MDW-MSP for later in the day, and they never noticed it.
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

FlyDeltaJets

RE: Boarding Pass Check - What Do They Look For?

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:58 pm

The TSA is checking to see if you are a selectee. THis means that you are supposed to go through extra screening. Usually you are sent to a different line anyway.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

ehho

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:48 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets (Reply 1):
to see if you are a selectee.

And who decides that? Is it the check-in agent who decides to put the SSSS on yourt pass? What are the guidelines for doing it? Name, behavior? Imagine a passenger is being pushy about getting upgrade he/she doesn't deserve, is that a reason to put SSSS on his/her pass?
"Get your facts first. Then you may distort them as much as you please" -- Mark Twain

carduelis

Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:49 pm

Quoting Aviationwiz (Thread starter):
I accidentally gave them my boarding pass from MDW-MSP for later in the day, and they never noticed it.

Just goes to show how good the security is at MSP. They actually let you on the incorrect flight. In UK the boarding pass is actually passed through a machine to read the details, and it soon beebs if something is not OK!
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

antonovman

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:00 pm

'"Just goes to show how good the security is at MSP. They actually let you on the incorrect flight. In UK the boarding pass is actually passed through a machine to read the details, and it soon beebs if something is not OK!"
I think they are talking about a differant thing, they mean at the line to go thru security to be checked, in the USA they put a sticker on at check in to show they think you need extra grilling. What you are talking about is the boarding card reader which is down at the gate prior to the actual boarding

carduelis

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:24 pm

Quoting Antonovman (Reply 4):
What you are talking about is the boarding card reader which is down at the gate prior to the actual boarding

Thanks for your clarification of your posting.

From what you say you still used the wrong boarding card to actually get on the flight - OR - did you realise before you got tho the reader that you had used the wrong card? By your description of the event, it sounds like it still leaves a hole in the security system.

aviationwiz

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:27 am

I realized right after security that I had used the wrong boarding pass, so I used the correct one to actually board the flight. It just seems to me that when they look at it for a good 5 seconds, they would actually check that I'm at the right airport.
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

carduelis

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:38 am

Quoting Aviationwiz (Reply 6):
I realized right after security that I had used the wrong boarding pass, so I used the correct one to actually board the flight.

. . . so anything that 'they' would have noted from reading the first (incorrect) boarding card was totally irrelevant when you then changed your boading card to the correct one for the final boarding!

As I said, there is a big hole in the security, based on your story - not only 'them' missing the incorrect flight details, but also that you then used a different boarding card to access the aircraft!

YYZYYT

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:39 am

I always assumed that you had to have your boarding pass checked at security so as to confirm that you were entitled to go through to the boarding gates... (as far back as I can remember, Canada has never allowed non-travellers through into the secured area)

Gr8Circle

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:51 am

At most Indian airports, definitely at BOM, you are asked for your boarding pass atleast 5-6 times before you reach your seat on the plane!!!

carduelis

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:38 am

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 9):
At most Indian airports

Pakistan too - Last time I went through the madhouse of Islamabad airport, I remember exactly the same thing, and each of them had their own stamp and pad to make their mark on your card.

It helps to keep the chaps in some sort of job.

DL787932ER

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:43 am

Quoting Carduelis (Reply 7):

Some wires are crossed here. I don't know how it is in the UK (haven't been since 9/11) but at U.S. airports, the screening process is as follows:

Once you check in at the counter/kiosk/online, you go to the security area. There's a security person at the start of the line who looks at your boarding pass and ID and marks the boarding pass with either a sticker or a marker to confirm it's been checked. Then you go to the metal detector/Xray lines. Bags on the belt, and when you walk through the belt you're required to hold up your boarding pass (but not ID) to show the TSA agent watching the metal detector. Now you're in the secure area. Finally, you go to the gate and when your seat is called your boarding pass gets scanned by a gate agent at the jetway door. That part is computerized and would certainly alert to a boarding pass for a different flight.

It sounds like the OP showed the wrong pass to both TSA agents (before/after the metal detector) but used the right one to board. I've also wondered why they need to look at it again, but since that's where all the TSA people are it makes sense for that to be the point they divert you if you get chosen for the full anal probe.
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

phljjs

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:59 am

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 11):
It sounds like the OP showed the wrong pass to both TSA agents (before/after the metal detector) but used the right one to board. I've also wondered why they need to look at it again, but since that's where all the TSA people are it makes sense for that to be the point they divert you if you get chosen for the full anal probe.

Actually, the person at the front of the checkpoint/before the metal detector works for either the airline or a sub-contractor of the airline and it is they're job to check and make sure you BP and ID match and the right person is being let into the sterile area. When you show your BP to the TSA Officer at the metal detector, all he/she is looking for is a marking that indicates if you are a Selectee and need to undergo additional screening. They do not check ID or look for anything on the BP other than the Selectee markings because it is assumed that the person checking your ID did they're job right and you are the right person being allowed into the terminal. Unfortunatly that didn't happen. If you were a Selectee and got through the checkpoint with out being checked, the gate agent would have seen that by the markings on your ticket and denied you boarding until you were re-screened.

SJCRRPAX

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:00 am

I have found they often check to see if it is a one-way ticket, and if it is than they give you the "treatment". At SJC they put my personal stuff in Red colored bins, which I had never seen before.

Dtw757

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:13 am

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 11):
Once you check in at the counter/kiosk/online, you go to the security area. There's a security person at the start of the line who looks at your boarding pass and ID and marks the boarding pass with either a sticker or a marker to confirm it's been checked.

To me this seems like a waste of money to pay this person to do this job. You have to show your boarding pass to the TSA anyway; are they not qualified to check your boarding pass as well as match it to a photo id? Seems to me for a way to save untold thousands of dollars in the check in process right there.
721,2,732,3,4,5,G,8,9,741,2,3,4,752,3,762,3,4,772,3,788,D93,5,M80,D10,M11,L10,100,AB6,319,20,21,332,3,346,388,146,CR2,7,

RIXrat

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:40 am

In Riga (RIX) we have the following procedure:

1) Check-in. Passport plus ticket.
2) Border control (Yes we have them in and out). Passport and boarding pass. They stamp the boarding pass.
3) Security. Boarding pass.
4) Security with X-rays and beepers and all that friendly stuff.
5) Boarding. Show of passport and boarding pass. On wrong destinations, the machine will reject the pass and won't perforate the stub.

FlyDeltaJets

Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:56 am

Quoting PHLJJS (Reply 12):

Quoting EHHO (Reply 2):
And who decides that? Is it the check-in agent who decides to put the SSSS on yourt pass? What are the guidelines for doing it? Name, behavior? Imagine a passenger is being pushy about getting upgrade he/she doesn't deserve, is that a reason to put SSSS on his/her pass?

Actually it is a computer system called CAPPS that "randomly" selects people for extra screening. The agent can also override this and select you manually. At least that is the case at United (from what I was told).
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

phljjs

Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:16 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets (Reply 16):
Actually it is a computer system called CAPPS that "randomly" selects people for extra screening. The agent can also override this and select you manually. At least that is the case at United (from what I was told).

I know all about CAPPS, I work for TSA. I wasn't talking about who or how you get selected. My reply had to do with why the BP is checked. And yes, you are correct. The ticket agent at the counter can select anyone they want or de-select individuals in certain situations.

DL787932ER

Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:49 am

Quoting DTW757 (Reply 14):
To me this seems like a waste of money to pay this person to do this job. You have to show your boarding pass to the TSA anyway; are they not qualified to check your boarding pass as well as match it to a photo id? Seems to me for a way to save untold thousands of dollars in the check in process right there.

I think it's a well-needed time saver. If it takes even five seconds to verify the ID at the metal detector, multiply that by thousands of pax during busy times at large airports and you could end up with significant delays. Not to mention the fact that when you have things like families with parents holding their young children's boarding passes and IDs, foreign ID and passports where it can take a moment for the agent to locate the needed info, etc. you could really create a backlog at the metal detector. I have my complaints about the current security process, but cutting delays by splitting up the screening and the ID checking isn't one of them.
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

phljjs

Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:48 am

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 18):
I think it's a well-needed time saver. If it takes even five seconds to verify the ID at the metal detector, multiply that by thousands of pax during busy times at large airports and you could end up with significant delays. Not to mention the fact that when you have things like families with parents holding their young children's boarding passes and IDs, foreign ID and passports where it can take a moment for the agent to locate the needed info, etc. you could really create a backlog at the metal detector. I have my complaints about the current security process, but cutting delays by splitting up the screening and the ID checking isn't one of them.

How about people who aren't flying? With the current system, they are sent away before they enter the line. If you eliminate the ID checkers, these people would get all the way through the line and start putting thier belongings in the xray machine and then get stopped when they try to walk through the metal detector. That would be a mess.

Gilligan

Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:55 am

Quoting Carduelis (Reply 7):
As I said, there is a big hole in the security, based on your story -

A technical one is all. He still had to go through the metal detector and his belongings were still x-rayed so by the time he came out the other side theoretically he should have been a sterilized as everyone else.

There is no real reason for non flying persons not to be allowed down into the concourses other than it slows down already slow lines.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

lredlefsen

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:27 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets (Reply 1):
The TSA is checking to see if you are a selectee. THis means that you are supposed to go through extra screening. Usually you are sent to a different line anyway.

You're kidding, right?

What stops me from printing my own boarding pass, sans the Scarlet Letter? More and more airlines allow their pax to check in online, printing their own boarding passes...

Quoting Carduelis (Reply 3):
Just goes to show how good the security is at MSP.

Actually, if what FlyDeltaJets says is true, it goes to show how broken TSA's security system is.

There are a lot of other loopholes:

http://www.slate.com/id/2113157/fr/rss/

Who designed this nutty system, anyway?

hawaiian717

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:10 am

Quoting Gilligan (Reply 20):
There is no real reason for non flying persons not to be allowed down into the concourses other than it slows down already slow lines.

It also makes the terminal areas a lot less crowded. I recall noticing the difference, how less crowded and more pleasant the terminals were after this rule was put in place.

ikramerica

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:25 am

I am not positive, but I believe the policy for the TSA to take your boarding pass is for this reason: should they decide to screen you or should you run through or something, they have your boarding pass in their hands which helps prevent you from getting on board and helps them identify your name later.

That's the only reason i can think of off hand.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

airbazar

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:39 am

Uh? Better security is likely the main reason. No airport I know allows non-flying public beyond the security checkpoints and into the concourse, and it's not a coincidence. That applies to airports in the US, Europe, and Asia that I have traveled through. The main reason is that in theory, with a boarding pass you've been pre-screened in some way. If you're a bad guy, and want to get into a concourse, you must buy a ticket which significantly reduces your chance of success. It also reduces the volume of work on the security personel which in theory should allow them to perform their job better and more efficiently.

One of the most basic rules of security is, allow only access to those who need it. That applies to everything, whether it be airport security, computer networks, or some music concert.

TransWorldSTL

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:45 am

In my exeriences, when you get the SSSS, by the time you're done with your additional screening, your boarding pass looks like a gay pride ticket...

Everytime I go through extra screening, they highlight almost everything on the B/Pass, then turn it over to write my Airline, flight number, and boarding gate all in hightlighters, then return it and try to tell me "You're on AA Flt xxx to this city. It boards at Gate D4532".. Um. The boarding pass already says that on the other side, but thanks anyway... Seems like they try to pass time and give themselves something to do, by playing with different colored highlighters... Makes for crap when I try to save my boarding passes as a momento, and forget to print an extra one..

hamad

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:05 pm

i flew to SAN through SFO from PHX, on a one way ticket twice, i have never had to be an SSSSS selectee. i actually asked a friend who works for United and he said, that because i am a frequent flier with a status with the airline, i am usually exempt from that, because i fly them so many times, that it doesnt affect me any more. but try booking a one way ticket without being a frequent flier, probably get the SSSS
PHX - i miss spotting

lredlefsen

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:34 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 23):
should they decide to screen you or should you run through or something, they have your boarding pass in their hands which helps prevent you from getting on board and helps them identify your name later.

They don't hold on to your boarding pass -- they just look at it and then give it back to you. Maybe they scribble some stuff on it with a highlighter, as TransWorldSTL mentions.

If someone were to run through the security check, you could bet your a$$ that no flights will be boarding anytime soon. They'd evacuate the entire terminal, search everything, and then re-screen everyone.

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 24):
It also reduces the volume of work on the security personel which in theory should allow them to perform their job better and more efficiently.

I think that's the real reason, because there's really no serious "security" argument for this practice. Any bozo can print a boarding pass at home, so the only bad guys you're keeping out are those without access to a computer with a printer. The TSA dude has no way to verify that the e-ticket/boarding pass he just looked at is real.

Even if they *could* tell, you could still just buy a bona-fide last-minute ticket right there at the airport.

Doesn't really matter, does it? As long as TSA makes sure that *everyone* who goes through the checkpoint is checked head to toe, there shouldn't be anything dangerous on the other side. At least that's what I'm counting on.

ikramerica

Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:50 pm

Quoting Lredlefsen (Reply 27):
They don't hold on to your boarding pass -- they just look at it and then give it back to you.

They give it back to YOU because you are free to move on. If you are pulled aside, they don't give it back to you until they are through with you, which is the whole point of what I said.

Think of it as the domestic version of holding a passport. Usually, you go to immigration and they just check your passport and hand it back. Some people never get it back...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

LHR777

Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:55 pm

Quoting Aviationwiz (Thread starter):
What do they actually do?

They're just seeing if you have a comedy name, so they can get the boarding pass re-printed later and stick it on the noticeboard in their restroom....

MD11Engineer

Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:53 pm

First, no person, who is not travelling on any of the departing flights within the next hours is supposed to enter the sterile area. The security guard will check if your flight number, date and personal data will match before he will let you enter the security check (at least he is supposed to do this).

Secondly, we had passengers, who missed their original flight (on a LCC), without checked baggage, try to avoid to have to buy a new ticket and try to sneak on a plane using the boarding pass from their missed flight (same flight number, but another date).

Also, in our airport passengers often don't know how to read the signs at the gates and at the aircraft parking positions and climb on board of the first airplane they see outside.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

m180up

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:02 pm

Quoting Lredlefsen (Reply 21):
What stops me from printing my own boarding pass, sans the Scarlet Letter? More and more airlines allow their pax to check in online, printing their own boarding passes...

If you are a selectee you won't be able to print your boarding pass online, you will receive a message to see a costumer service agent at the airport  Wink at least that is how it is in US/HP
Werner from SAL

lredlefsen

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:01 am

Quoting M180up (Reply 31):
If you are a selectee you won't be able to print your boarding pass online, you will receive a message to see a costumer service agent at the airport at least that is how it is in US/HP

I guess I wasn't being entirely clear: what stops a bad guy from printing a (*gasp*!) fake boarding pass sans the Scarlet Letter at home?

Put the fake boarding pass in your pocket, receive your real boarding pass with the "SSSS" at the checkin counter, present the fake boarding pass without the "SSSS" to the TSA droid, and present the real boarding pass to the gate agent. If you want to make it look like you were treated as a selectee by TSA, bring a pack of your 2-year-old kid's colorful highlighters and scribble on the back of your real boarding pass at any time between printing the pass and getting to the gate.

The system as presented seems pretty drain-bamaged to me. If TSA is serious about cross-checking photo IDs and boarding passes, they need to scan the boarding pass and verify the information encoded on the mag strip/bar code with the information printed in human-readable form, and cross-check with the ID.

By the way, there was a pretty frightening article on Salon.com last year about how easily the "no-fly list" can be circumvented:

http://www.slate.com/id/2113157/fr/rss/

m180up

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:52 am

Quoting Lredlefsen (Reply 32):
I guess I wasn't being entirely clear: what stops a bad guy from printing a (*gasp*!) fake boarding pass sans the Scarlet Letter at home?

But when he gets to the last point the fake boarding pass won't read on the machine.
But I'm getting your point, you mean getting the fake boarding pass, showing that to the TSA agent, and after that pass the real boarding pass on the machine without going through extra screening? Right?
Werner from SAL

lredlefsen

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:54 am

Quoting M180up (Reply 33):
But when he gets to the last point the fake boarding pass won't read on the machine.
But I'm getting your point, you mean getting the fake boarding pass, showing that to the TSA agent, and after that pass the real boarding pass on the machine without going through extra screening? Right?

Exaxctly. Let me try to reword what I wrote:

Put the fake boarding pass in your pocket, receive your real boarding pass with the "SSSS" at the checkin counter, present the fake boarding pass without the "SSSS" to the TSA droid, and present the real boarding pass to the gate agent. If you want to make it look like you were treated as a selectee by TSA, bring a pack of your 2-year-old kid's colorful highlighters and scribble on the back of your real boarding pass at any time between printing the pass and getting to the gate.

1. Print fake boarding pass without "SSS" at home.
2. Check in at the airport as normal. Collect your real boarding pass with the "SSS" printed on it.
3. Show the TSA guy the fake boarding pass.
3(a). (optional) Scribble on your real boarding pass with a highlighter to make it look like a TSA guy handled it. (This step can happen at any point in the process before you board.) You can also apply scratch-and-sniff stickers, gold stars, etc.
4. Once you've passed through TSA's normal screening, go to the gate.
4(a). (optional) Throw away the fake boarding pass.
5. Present the real boarding pass to the gate agent and board.

This system doesn't work as intended -- anyone with half a brain can see that.

lredlefsen

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:57 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 28):
They give it back to YOU because you are free to move on. If you are pulled aside, they don't give it back to you until they are through with you, which is the whole point of what I said.

Ah -- you're right, I've never been "selected". I'm guessing that might change, given my recent posts in this thread...  Sad

LFutia

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:16 am

At most Indian airports, definitely at BOM, you are asked for your boarding pass atleast 5-6 times before you reach your seat on the plane!!!

mmmhmmm. cant get into the airport without a ticket. and Indian security checks over your ticket for a good 5-10 seconds before you actually do enter. and you cant go through security until your called for security check and they check it again for some time and then they stamp it as well as your carryon. then time for boarding, they look it over again.

Leo
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

JBo

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:46 am

Quoting Lredlefsen (Reply 35):
This system doesn't work as intended -- anyone with half a brain can see that.

Except that at many airports, the SSSS boarding pass will be hole-punched or marked in some other fashion by TSA after the additional screening has taken place (rather than prior), and the gate agents look for that as well.

Airports have different procedures for what they do with SSSS pax as far as marking boarding passes and indicating screening has been done. Unless you know ahead exactly how it's done at your local airport, it's easier said than done.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

lredlefsen

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:11 pm

Quoting JBo (Reply 37):
Except that at many airports, the SSSS boarding pass will be hole-punched or marked in some other fashion by TSA after the additional screening has taken place (rather than prior), and the gate agents look for that as well.

OK, so in addition to my kid's highlighter set, I've got to bring along a hole punch, and maybe a couple of strawberry scratch-and-sniff stickers, too (just in case my local airport uses strawberry scratch-and-sniff stickers to note TSA processing).

Seriously, the current system is not very secure, because the mark used to note that you've gone through extra security is so easily forgeable. At some airports, you need a highlighter, at others, a hole punch, ...

The bar could be raised if TSA put an unforgeable mark on your boarding pass, e.g., a sticker containing basically a unique serial number. Basically, use the same technology that's used to make sure that concert tickets aren't forged. (Most venues these days make sure that you can't get into a sports event with a color photocopy of someone else's ticket by making sure each ticket has a unique serial number, and by making sure that each serial number can only be used once to gain entry into the venue.)

Badly designed security systems can be more dangerous than no security systems at all, because they give us a false sense of security. This system of enforcing a passenger's selectee-ness is pretty bad, because it's not going to stop a determined attacker.

Maybe someone at TSA should hire someone like Bruce Schneier ( http://www.schneier.com/blog/ ).

deltagator

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:46 pm

At least in ATL they check your ID against your ticket which always causes issues with me since Delta puts my middle initial onto my first name. I've had these yahoos say that I was trying to use someone else's ticket on more than one occaision. One time I had to get a supervisor to show her that my middle name started with an A and that was the letter stuck onto my first name.

I've noticed that the folks checking your ticket before security will direct you down the body cavity search line right then if you have the SSSS mark. In Grand Rapids it was all part of the same line but you got these fancy orange bins to mark you as a bad guy. It was quite humorous when they dug through my bag, pulled out my Pentagon badge, and asked me why I was getting the extra check.

One thing I do, and probably as an juvenile act of defiance is refusing to let the ticket out of my hand when walking through the metal detector. I show them the ticket as asked but I never let it go.

And yet they never checked my ID from the time I showed them my ticket receipt to get in the terminal, when I checked in, at the metal detector, and the 5 times they frisked me on the way to the plane.

Quoting Hawaiian717 (Reply 22):
It also makes the terminal areas a lot less crowded. I recall noticing the difference, how less crowded and more pleasant the terminals were after this rule was put in place.

Come to ATL where it seems just as crowded as it always has been.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

phoenixflyer

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:25 pm

No airport I know allows non-flying public beyond the security checkpoints and into the concourse, and it's not a coincidence. That applies to airports in the US, Europe, and Asia that I have traveled through.

I remember seeing people waiting by the gate when I was in Australia over the summer. If I remember correctly I also dont think I had to show anyone my BP through security but the FA on Qantas wouldnt let me on the plane without showing my BP.

By the way, there was a pretty frightening article on Salon.com last year about how easily the "no-fly list" can be circumvented:

This actually does work in real life. My best friend used his FF miles to buy a ticket for his girlfriend to visit him except he forgot to change the name of the flyer. Since he didnt want to spend 100 bucks just for a name change he used Microsoft Frontpage to change the name on the boarding pass. Everything came out fine and his gf got through JFK, CLE and PHX without a problem.

hawaiian717

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 39):
Come to ATL where it seems just as crowded as it always has been.

I can see how at a hub airport like ATL with a large amount of connecting traffic, it wouldn't seem to be as big of a difference. The difference is more noticeable at O&D airports like LAX and HNL.

deltagator

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:55 pm

For a while after 9/11 the crowds in ATL did go down but now that DL is pushing more flights through there the crowds are back to bad and worse. I can understand the lesser crowds at an O&D airport though.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Gilligan

Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Uh? Better security is likely the main reason.

How is it better? Flying or not if you go onto the concourse you have to be screened. Even the employees that aren't going anywhere but to work get screened.

No airport I know allows non-flying public beyond the security checkpoints and into the concourse, and it's not a coincidence.

Correct but prior to 9/11 anyone who wanted to go through the screening process in the U.S. was free to pass.

The main reason is that in theory, with a boarding pass you've been pre-screened in some way.

In what way? If I print my boarding pass at home, which I do, does the some how mean I'm safer than someone who does not have a boarding pass?

If you're a bad guy, and want to get into a concourse, you must buy a ticket which significantly reduces your chance of success.

9/11

It also reduces the volume of work on the security personel which in theory should allow them to perform their job better and more efficiently.

As I noted.

Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!