USairways16BWI

Dynamite Found In EWR

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:40 am

It was found in the bag of a student at the airport. Its just now unfolding, ill tell more when more is found out. fox news says

update: It was a CO plane from argentina to houston. Bomb sniffing dogs got a hit when sniffing checked bags at houston. The student is being held somewhere, the plane went on to EWR, where it is now.
It was CO flt 52, a 767-200

[Edited 2006-08-25 20:51:43]

HOMER71

RE: Dynamite Found In EWR

Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:15 am

Here's a link (Associated Press via the Houston Chronicle):

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4141246.html
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

ikramerica

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:15 am

Not dynomite. Residue.

Student is a mining student and it is perfectly logical that he would have residue on him. It's hard to get off, and it got on his duffle bag.

There were no explosives found.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

atnight

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:33 am

Here is the same story from Reuters (yahoo):

Dynamite scare at Houston airport

One thing that made me laugh, in the article, there is a picture of a "Continental plane" supposely taken on FEB 24, 2006... but in fact is a picture of an AIRBUS from Iberia (the aircraft name is "Rosalia de Castro", an IB A343)... I tell you, the media sure is reliable! If they though an Airbus A340 would resemble a B767, then there is NO HOPE for the average person.... I guess that lets us know just how much people and the media knows about aircraft! (Never will forget how on the A380 first flight, the reporters in the US would say that the "Airbus 380 was built in response to Boeing's 787 Dreamliner".... that was the worst knowledge I had yet seen!")
B707 B727 B733/5/7/8/9 B742/4 B752/3 B763/4 B772 A310 A318/319/320 A332 A343 MD80 DC9/10 CRJ200 ERJ145 ERJ-170 Be1900 Da

phljjs

Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:10 am

The AP is reporting that a stick of dynamite was found in the bag.

spacecadet

Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:23 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 2):
Not dynomite. Residue.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/25/dynamite.plane/index.html

'"It has not been tested, but it's believed to be a half-stick of dynamite," Dunlap said of the item in Fish's luggage.'

Sure, it might turn out to be something other than dynamite after testing. But it's hardly a case where somebody mistook "residue" for a half stick of dynamite. It's either dynamite or it isn't. This isn't about residue.

Of course, there's also this:

'The passenger said he had been exploring mines in Bolivia and purchased the dynamite as a souvenir, Mancuso said.'

So apparently even he admits that it's dynamite, and it's got nothing to do with his being a "mining student", whatever that is. (If I go back to college, can I major in mining?)

Sure sounds to me like he bought half a stick of dynamite and then moronically brought it on the plane with him like an idiot. If true, this is a highly dangerous situation.

Of course, it could still turn out to all be false, and it could be a half stick of butter for all we know. But your summary of events, at least, we can pretty much conclusively say is 100% wrong.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

wjcandee

Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:48 pm

I think the title is wrong. I think the stuff was found by ICE upon the student's return to the US at IAH, and the plane then continued on to EWR, minus Junior and his dynamite-stick "souvenir". Customs got suspicious of something, and called Rover over, whereupon he gave the bag a whiff and alerted on it. The initial report was just that there was some "residue", after which ICE admitted that there was a half-stick of TNT in the bag, along with some other "contraband", which Latin American media are reporting to be in the nature of...well...the rest of the stuff you'd need for a bomb. They seem to think at this point that he was just bringing it in on an airplane, not that he was going to use it on one. But it might be that he planned to use it somewhere else. Which is why he has been...er..."detained".

wjcandee

Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:51 pm

Quoting Spacecadet (Reply 5):
(If I go back to college, can I major in mining?)

Well...yeah. Texas A&M is Texas "Agriculture & Mining" University. No kidding.

Longhornmaniac

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:07 pm

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 7):
Well...yeah. Texas A&M is Texas "Agriculture & Mining" University. No kidding.

Just a slight correction: It's Agricultural and Mechanical.

Hook'em!

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

pilotaydin

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:42 pm

well at least we know the dogs are doing their jobs right!

someone should give em a treat  Wink
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

wjcandee

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:26 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 8):
It's Agricultural and Mechanical.

Whoops! I did an internet search, and got Ag and Mining. Is there a separate "Texas Agriculture and Mining University"? Thanks, in any event, for the correction.

soups

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:36 pm

a dynamite found in a bag and NO PANIC! they didn't interviewed him and just let him thru... Funny..... as no arab name
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

Twistedwhisper

Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:06 pm

Anybody else besides me that gets upset by this report?

Today I have to leave my fingerprint before boarding, I had to get a new, more secure passport in order to enter the US, and I WILL have my bag searched, in public, by the airport security personnel. But in Buenos Aires you can just walk on board a Continental aircraft with a stick of dynamite in your bag.

WTF?!

I bet you, I f**king bet you, that the next terror attempt will be in BUE, or in that general area.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 2):
Not dynomite. Residue.

Student is a mining student and it is perfectly logical that he would have residue on him. It's hard to get off, and it got on his duffle bag.

There were no explosives found.

What is your source?

If I paint a wooden stick red and write Dynamite on it, I will not be allowed to bring it on the plane. Hey, a guy said that his erection pump was a bomb, and he was detained. This guy can walk onboard a Continental flight, bound for US soil with a dynamite stick, and nobody reacts until the plane has arrived?

I have always felt the the hard restrictions imposed by the FAA are directed more to foreign carriers, rather than US based ones. I will add this little incident in my archive of "told-you-so"s, as proof that I am right.

My girlfriend can carry on a bottle of perfume on a 14 hour flight to LAX because "it's flammable liquid" and this guy can carry on a stick o' dynamite?
US carriers: Get your act together.
Read between the lines.

eatmybologna

Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:33 pm

Quoting TWISTEDWHISPER (Reply 12):
US carriers: Get your act together.

I don't think they have a lot of control on Argentina's airport security. Why are you pointing the finger at Continental? Do expect the FAs to do a pat down?
Isn't knowledge more than just the acquisition of information? Shouldn't the acquired information be correct?

HAWK21M

Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:05 pm

This is serious.
Piece of Dynamite carried on board.Irrespective its Flamable & the weirdo should have known.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

MCOflyer

Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:42 pm

The guy stated his erection pump was a bomb in order not embarrass himself in front of his mother.

Why would someone bring dynamite on a plane?

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

SkyexRamper

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:02 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 15):
Why would someone bring dynamite on a plane?

Because he knew he could due to very slow security in that part of the world.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

Longhornmaniac

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:20 am

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 10):
Whoops! I did an internet search, and got Ag and Mining. Is there a separate "Texas Agriculture and Mining University"? Thanks, in any event, for the correction.

Haha. It's kool, we all make mistakes.

The University of Texas-El Paso (UTEP) was founded in 1914 as the Texas State School of Mines and Metallurgy; perhaps that's what your thinking of? In any event, I have never heard of something along those lines, so perhaps your source didn't know what they were talking about.  Wink  Smile Being a UT fan, I've had it drilled into me that they are Agricultural and Mechanical.

Hook'em!

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

Lanas

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:23 am

Quoting Eatmybologna (Reply 13):
I don't think they have a lot of control on Argentina's airport security.

Quoting Skyexramper (Reply 16):
very slow security in that part of the world.

I don´t know about that, because the airport security´s been tight, specially the last months. However, it´s an unacceptable security breach that will not be in favour of the airport´s reputation. What a pity.
That same day we had in EZE a telephone bomb threat on a Copa airlines flight that was to depart to PTY. The aircraft was checked thoroughly and nothing was found, so it departed some hours later.

Cheers
Lanas.-
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." J.R.R. Tolkien

MCOflyer

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:40 am

Quoting Skyexramper (Reply 16):
Because he knew he could due to very slow security in that part of the world.

They should update their security and install that better equiptment designed to detect dynamite in that part of the world.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

seanp11

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:49 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 14):
This is serious.
Piece of Dynamite carried on board.its Flamable & the weirdo should have known.
regds
MEL

Its not flammable (except for the paper sheath) but it is shock sensitive, older dynamite can sweat out the nitro-glycerin that makes it explosive, which would be incredibly dangerous on a plane.

Regardless, no high-explosives should ever be taken on a plane.

USADreamliner

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:56 am

In my opinion, nothing will happen to this guy. Reason? He is American.
Can you imagine a person from any other country? He would be called terrorist,put in jail and then deported, no matter if he is innocent.

usadreamliner

access-air

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:57 am

I get the feeling that these things are happening on purpose....I feel like they are being planted purposely by the security officials!! Yes, we hear all about the trouble these people get in but when its all done and over, do we really hear what kind of trouble they actually end up with?
If this is becoming so commonplace now, then dammit as a US citizen and a taxpayer, I want to see results and see these people being hauled to prison.....ON TV!!!!!!!!!
They sensationalize the incidents and make sure that they get in that FEAR FACTOR to scare everyone to death....so we start looking at each other like we are all a bunch of fruit loops waiting to go off......Well fine, lets see some of these so called "Fruit Loops" being hauled off to prison.....

As for that lady and her finger nail polish on ther US Airways flight...Yeah stupid on her part, but even more idiotic is the TSA screener that FAILED to find it in her carryon bag or purse!!!!!
I think the TSA people should have a little code that they must tag each bag that they inspect so if someone gets thru with something not allowed then we would know just what screener is responsible and due punishment would be to the screener in charge of screening that bag......And not just a slap on the wrist.....I want to see just as harsh a punishment as for the person being caught!! Especially if it appears that the particular screener makes the same error over and over..... I mean look at it this way, we are all being watched and inspected....but who is watching the wathcers and the inspectors??!!?!?!!?

How about that???? Does anyone think that making a bag screener put a personal TSA Screener ID number on your bag if they go thru it, is a great idea???? That way if they miss soemthing, YOU Are not the only person to be in trouble!!!

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

David L

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:12 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 22):
I feel like they are being planted purposely by the security officials!!

Dynamite? I don't think so.

but who is watching the wathcers and the inspectors??!!?!?!!?

How about that????

is a great idea????

Are those questions or statments? I don't see any question marks.

ptharris

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:56 am

Quoting Spacecadet (Reply 5):
'The passenger said he had been exploring mines in Bolivia and purchased the dynamite as a souvenir, Mancuso said.'

I went to Kansas and came back with 500 lbs of ammonia fertalizer as a souvenir.... and a Timex watch.... and a firing squib... but I swear it was all a souvenir!!  Yeah sure My God the statements people make up. Why not say "Well, I'm as dumb as a bag of rocks and figured nobody would say much," or just come out and say it... "I was seeing what I could get away with for future reference." Idiots...  banghead 

Quoting Seanp11 (Reply 20):
Regardless, no high-explosives should ever be taken on a plane.

Umm.. goes without saying... well, for most. Maybe it's time to place placards in the cabin that say:

"IF YOU ARE A TERRORIST, PLEASE CHECK YOUR BOMB MATERIAL/DEVICES WITH THE FLIGHT ATTENDANT. THEY ARE NOT CONSIDERED CARRY ON LUGGAGE AS PER FAA GUIDELINES."

or

"FAA STRICTLY FORBIDS TAMPERING WITH THE SMOKE DETECTOR OR DETONATING EXPLOSIVE DEVICES ON THIS FLIGHT. DOING SO IS A FEDERAL OFFENSE AND NOT VERY NICE."

Boobs...  crazy 
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

EWRCabincrew

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:59 am

Quoting Ptharris (Reply 24):
"FAA STRICTLY FORBIDS TAMPERING WITH THE SMOKE DETECTOR OR DETONATING EXPLOSIVE DEVICES ON THIS FLIGHT. DOING SO IS A FEDERAL OFFENSE AND NOT VERY NICE."

I would so love to make this part of the standard p.a.  rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
You can't cure stupid

LVICS

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:23 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 19):
They should update their security and install that better equiptment designed to detect dynamite in that part of the world

I agree, but with all due respect, I don't think you actually imagine what it is like in the third world.

falstaff

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:14 am

Hey, a guy said that his erection pump was a bomb, and he was detained.

If I had an eraection pump I would not want to bring attention to myself. The last time I was buying condoms at the Rite-Aide store I found they had "pumps" next to the condoms. I got a kick out of the possible embarrasment of just going to the checkout counter with such a device.

My girlfriend can carry on a bottle of perfume on a 14 hour flight to LAX because "it's flammable liquid" and this guy can carry on a stick o' dynamite?

In 1986, when I was 10, I had a Lionel train tank car in my carry on. We were flying PIT-DEN (L1011). When I went through security they had a fit becuase of the tubular item in my bag. They had a fit until they examined it and found it to be nothing more than a model train car. I guess they thought it was a pipe bomb. I think it is odd how they used to be more strict, got less restrictive, and then became restrictive again.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503